or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD65
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 36

post #1051 of 1874
Anyone know if the Amazon HD connection issues have been resolved with the latest FW update?

Issue:
Even though you have adequate bandwidth(7mb+), you can not get a consistent HD download from Amazon. Amazon HD works just fine on PC using same Internet connection. I believe Panasonic and Amazon know this is an issue with the BD65 but no news on when/if the issue can be addressed.
post #1052 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_cee View Post

Is anyone else having Lip sync issues with Netflix playback? I seem to be getting it on most of the Netflix titles that I have tried. Its not unbearable, but its off enough to be a bit of a distraction.

-J

Same here, but it's only with HD content. SD content doesn't seem to have that issue. Anyone else?
post #1053 of 1874
My current receiver supports DTS but not the newer HD audio formats. I've been looking at BR players, specifically the LG ones because they feature DTS re-encoding. I've also been looking at the BD65. If I'm using an optical cable and set the BD65 audio output to bitstream, would this basically be the same thing as DTS re-encode? My receiver is only cable of accepting 48kHz signals though so would I even be able to use bitstream with it? Basically, what am I going to hear? Would I still get DTS and DD5.1 or a fascimile thereof?
post #1054 of 1874
You don't need to downconvert or worry about the PCM frequency. If your receiver decodes DD5.1 and DTS over optical/coax, bitstream from any player (including Panasonic) will work fine. I've used just about every brand of blu-ray player with my 10+ year old receiver that only does DD5.1 and DTS and never had a problem. The sound tracks always include lossy DD5.1 or DTS, so no re-encoding is required.
post #1055 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

If I'm using an optical cable and set the BD65 audio output to bitstream, would this basically be the same thing as DTS re-encode?

With a dts-MA track, the player outputs DTS over optical. With a TrueHD track, it outputs DD 5.1. When Secondary Audio is set to Off, the player does not re-encode. Rather, it sends the lossy versions of the lossless tracks that both Dolby and DTS include for backwards compatibility with older equipment. If you set Secondary Audio to On, the player will decode the lossless track, mix in the added audio, and re-encode the mixture for bitstream output. Panasonic players re-encode using the same format as the original codec. Some players re-encode everything as DTS.

Quote:


My receiver is only cable of accepting 48kHz signals though so would I even be able to use bitstream with it? Basically, what am I going to hear? Would I still get DTS and DD5.1 or a fascimile thereof?

No worries there. You'll be fine. The 48kHz limit only applies to PCM, not bitstream.
post #1056 of 1874
Has anyone done a direct comparison of the upconverting capabilities between the BD65 and BD85? How much of an improvement is the BD85 really going to be? The BD85 has some features that I don't really need but I do still have an awful lot of DVDs that I'm not replacing anytime soon.
post #1057 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the upconverting capabilities between the BD65 and BD85? How much of an improvement is the BD85 really going to be? The BD85 has some features that I don't really need but I do still have an awful lot of DVDs that I'm not replacing anytime soon.

Does the 65k have 24p for Standard DVD? when I had it, It didn't seem to. That's one improvement, if that matters to you. Also the 85k has high clarity sound that improves sound quality for any disc. I think the 85 has other picture options when it comes to blu-rays too. It's been so long though since I had it, I just don't remember off the top of my head.
post #1058 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the upconverting capabilities between the BD65 and BD85? How much of an improvement is the BD85 really going to be? The BD85 has some features that I don't really need but I do still have an awful lot of DVDs that I'm not replacing anytime soon.

No improvement.
post #1059 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Does the 65k have 24p for Standard DVD? when I had it, It didn't seem to. That's one improvement, if that matters to you. Also the 85k has high clarity sound that improves sound quality for any disc. I think the 85 has other picture options when it comes to blu-rays too. It's been so long though since I had it, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

Yes, the BD65 has 24p for DVD's.
post #1060 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Freak View Post

I have this hooked up to a Samsung PDP. What settings should I change to give the best picture quality?

None. Get a blu-ray calibration disk if you like then your blu-ray source is calibrated. Get one of these - Spears & Munsil, DVE Hd Basics, or Walt Disney World Of Wonder.
post #1061 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

None. Get a blu-ray calibration disk if you like then your blu-ray source is calibrated. Get one of these - Spears & Munsil, DVE Hd Basics, or Walt Disney World Of Wonder.

I'm already using the settings for the PDP from one of the members here. I thought there may be some stuff to disable on the player itself to improve the PQ. Thanks for the links.
post #1062 of 1874
Well I caved in and picked up the BD655 from Panasonic Direct yesterday for $90. It's showing today for $159.95. The BD65 now shows as $162 but the BD85 still shows yesterday's price of $137.50. I guess someone forgot to change the price on that one.
post #1063 of 1874
I would think that resellers (such as Amazon, BestBuy, etc) would be upset with Panasonic Direct for selling their BluRay players at such a low price.
post #1064 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

I would think that resellers (such as Amazon, BestBuy, etc) would be upset with Panasonic Direct for selling their BluRay players at such a low price.

??? ???

Panasonic should keep their players at ridiculously high prices so that resellers can sell them just slightly cheaper and steal their sales? Such thinking would have never gotten me a new BD65 for $50!
post #1065 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

??? ???

Panasonic should keep their players at ridiculously high prices so that resellers can sell them just slightly cheaper and steal their sales? Such thinking would have never gotten me a new BD65 for $50!


I don't recall you mentioning where you got that $50 Panny 65 from. Best I've seen is $80.
post #1066 of 1874
I bought the 655 at costco and have issues with it not being able to load slightly smudged or scratched blu rays from redbox. I looked at the blu ray disc and can't really see anything majorly wrong. I tried it on a sony 370, loaded fine, got stuck during the first part of the movie, but after fast forwarding it played the rest of the movie. The panasonic would not even load the disc at all.

Anyone notice that panasonics are really sensitive to smudges or light scratches? Really a deal breaker if you rent a lot. Damn people with not respect for dics
post #1067 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanz View Post

I bought the 655 at costco and have issues with it not being able to load slightly smudged or scratched blu rays from redbox. I looked at the blu ray disc and can't really see anything majorly wrong. I tried it on a sony 370, loaded fine, got stuck during the first part of the movie, but after fast forwarding it played the rest of the movie. The panasonic would not even load the disc at all.

Anyone notice that panasonics are really sensitive to smudges or light scratches? Really a deal breaker if you rent a lot. Damn people with not respect for dics

I haven't noticed this with my BD65 and netflix blu-ray discs.

But I give them a pretty thorough wipe-down before I put them into anything I own. The nice thing about BD media is that you can get pretty aggressive in cleaning them. The durabis hard coating can take a lot of punishment. Most "scratches" are actually not scratches at all, and can be wiped off with enough elbow grease.

So I suggest really cleaning the discs before you insert. Microfiber is fine, but even something like paper tower with a little windex won't destroy a BD (unlike a DVD).
post #1068 of 1874
BD65. How does one create a firmware update disk on a Mac?
Support just shows instructs for a Windows pc.

Have downloaded latest update file which is a .exe file. Do I just burn this file to disk?

Many thanks.

G.
post #1069 of 1874
Hmm... US site has a .FRM file which you can burn directly to CD-R as-is. You'll probably need to run that EXE on a PC to extract the FRM file. Worst case you can temporarily plug the player into your network long enough to do the update. Do you not use any of the Viera Cast streaming anyway?
post #1070 of 1874
I am new to this site and came across it while trying to determine the proper audio setup for my new BD65. I have what is probably a very basic question and also shows my limits in A/V understanding.

I was recently given a 5.1 system made by Logitech for PC users and wanted to set it up with my new BD65 as it is actually pretty good (for free!) the problem is that the manual for the BD65 confused me more than anything. The best output for the system is an optical output and I don't know exactly how to set up the player to match this system. Here is the specs for the decoding and suppporting formats:

Hardware decoding:
Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
6 Channel Direct
Stereo x2
Stereo
Supported digital formats:
Dolby Digital
DTS and DTS 96/24
PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bit

mdavej gave this as his set up in #845 of this thread, but didn't sound entirely confident that this was the best option, but just that it worked:

Digital Audio Output:
Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD: Bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD: Bitstream
BD-Video Sec Audio: On

PCM Down Conversion: Off
Downmix: Stereo
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

I understand that I am not able to utilize TrueHD with this speaker system, but besides that confused due to lack of understanding.
Is this the proper setup, or is something else ideal?

Thanks in advance for helping an appparent "noobie"
post #1071 of 1874
Finally dumped the Samsung BD-P1600. Got tired of all the persistent problems with firmware and finicky disc playback.

Bought this model and couldn't be happier. Plugged it into my DLINK LAN switch and it instantly obtained an IP address from my router and passed the Network connection test. And went ahead and let it perform the recommended firmware update over the network. Everything went flawlessly, which was a nice change after my experiences with Magnavox & Samsung. PQ 1080p/24p is superb over HDMI plugged into my Plasma Viera TV. I bit-stream out the audio over HDMI and let my Onkyo AVR perform the hi-def audio decoding. I love the Viera Cast streaming user interface. And it has a lot more streaming features than the Samsung, like Stock Quotes, Weather, Fox Sports, Picasa, etc..

And this thing boots up and ejects the tray significantly faster than two previous brands of BD players I've had. Possibly, the best thing about this player is how fast it retrieves (bufffers the data) and starts playing a movie from your Netflix queue. 3x faster than the Samsung BD-P1600 I replaced it with.

This is an incredible BD player for the $113 I payed for it new off Amazon. The PHL Reference Chroma Plus image processing works as advertised.

This player will plays movies that would freeze on my Samsung player. My Samsung would not get to the top menu of the movie Frozen without inserting a USB thumbnail drive. And you couldn't bypass the previews. This Panasonic player goes straight to the menu bypassing the previews (if you hit Top Menu) and did not require a storage device for BD Live.

Pardon my fervor, it's just a relieve to finally find a player that works as advertised. Streaming works perfect. And the same for the several different store bought and Netflix Blu-rays that I've tested.

My 2 cents............
post #1072 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Wich66
I am new to this site and came across it while trying to determine the proper audio setup for my new BD65. I have what is probably a very basic question and also shows my limits in A/V understanding.

I was recently given a 5.1 system made by Logitech for PC users and wanted to set it up with my new BD65 as it is actually pretty good (for free!) the problem is that the manual for the BD65 confused me more than anything. The best output for the system is an optical output and I don't know exactly how to set up the player to match this system. Here is the specs for the decoding and suppporting formats:

Hardware decoding:
Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
6 Channel Direct
Stereo x2
Stereo
Supported digital formats:
Dolby Digital
DTS and DTS 96/24
PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bit

mdavej gave this as his set up in #845 of this thread, but didn't sound entirely confident that this was the best option, but just that it worked:

Digital Audio Output:
Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD: Bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD: Bitstream
BD-Video Sec Audio: On

PCM Down Conversion: Off
Downmix: Stereo
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

I understand that I am not able to utilize TrueHD with this speaker system, but besides that confused due to lack of understanding.
Is this the proper setup, or is something else ideal?

Thanks in advance for helping an appparent "noobie"
Use mdavej's setup. The only setting I had different was setting secondary audio to off but I think that is only necessary when using HDMI to ensure you get the lossless audio, not applicable with optical out.
post #1073 of 1874
Hi , I just purchased a Panasonic blu-ray DMPBD65K and the Elf Collectors Edition Blu-Ray. I cannot get to the bonus features and when I put the blu-ray in , the movie starts automatically. If I put in a regular DVD I do get a menu.

Thanks
Joe
post #1074 of 1874
I got my new BD65K from VO last nite....$99.

VERY happy with the easy setup. Downloaded latest firmware & setup my Netflix account. No problems.

Hope to have time to stream a movie tonite!

Appreciate all the fantastic info on this forum!
post #1075 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJPC View Post

Hi , I just purchased a Panasonic blu-ray DMPBD65K and the Elf Collectors Edition Blu-Ray. I cannot get to the bonus features and when I put the blu-ray in , the movie starts automatically. If I put in a regular DVD I do get a menu.

Thanks
Joe

Do you have a memory card installed and are you connected to the internet. Either or both may be required for bonus materials.
post #1076 of 1874
Hi all,

I've just acquired this blu-ray player and I'm having a small problem.

I have some DVDs that are encoded in the PAL format - 25 frames per second.

When I attempt to play these discs I get a message saying "cannot play"

I read the manual, and it does state that PAL discs are not supported.

My question is, if I manage to make the player region free via a hack, will I be able to play my PAL discs then? Or is this more of a hardware thing not fixable via a simple hack?

I realize hack-talk is not allowed, but I'm not asking how to; I'm just asking if it would make a difference given my situation.

Thank you all so much in advance!
post #1077 of 1874
Can this player be update via the Internet, or must the FW be put a Disc? Thanks
post #1078 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Can this player be update via the Internet, or must the FW be put a Disc? Thanks

Either way, both ways work.
post #1079 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Use mdavej's setup. The only setting I had different was setting secondary audio to off but I think that is only necessary when using HDMI to ensure you get the lossless audio, not applicable with optical out.

moxie,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to do my homework with this stuff!
post #1080 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by siki3d View Post

Hi all,

I've just acquired this blu-ray player and I'm having a small problem.

I have some DVDs that are encoded in the PAL format - 25 frames per second.

When I attempt to play these discs I get a message saying "cannot play"

I read the manual, and it does state that PAL discs are not supported.

My question is, if I manage to make the player region free via a hack, will I be able to play my PAL discs then? Or is this more of a hardware thing not fixable via a simple hack?

I realize hack-talk is not allowed, but I'm not asking how to; I'm just asking if it would make a difference given my situation.

Thank you all so much in advance!

The answer is yes, but I'm not going to post (or PM) any links or instructions as I don't know exactly what the rules are here regarding that sort of thing. All I can say is Google is your friend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD65