or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD65
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 53

post #1561 of 1874
THIS guy has hacked the panny firmware. But he's only been able to tweak existing but formerly disabled features. I wouldn't count on anyone being able to add a full blown internet browser. And I definitely wouldn't count on anything new for the obsolete BD65.

The easiest solution in your case would be to connect your computer or other internet device to your TV.
post #1562 of 1874
Some very intresting features listed on the firmware.

An interesting way to go about getting funds for a project and also having to submit a request for access

-Robert
post #1563 of 1874
I just picked up a display model BD65 from BestBuy for $84. It seams to be working just fine and updated to 1.56 first thing.
I have only watched one BluRay so far and it looked good. I hooked it up via HDMI to my TV and the sound is going optical to my receiver.
The image was a bit darker over all than it was with my now dead Sony S350 (PowerSupply failed?)

Has anyone tried the modified firmware linked to by mdavej above? 1.56A Some of the options sound very interesting.
There was no mention of how much of a donation was needed to get the modified firmware ether.
post #1564 of 1874
Won a 655 in a charity raffle. My existing DVD is a Toshiba HD-DVD A20 that is great for its standard DVD upscaling performance.

Question-How good is 655/65's standard DVD upscaling? If you have experience with a Toshiba HD-DVD is the 655/65 upscaling worst, as good or better?

Thanks
post #1565 of 1874
The A2 is a decent upscaler. Tho I use an A35. The 65 is as decent as the A2 in my opinion.
post #1566 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

The A2 is a decent upscaler. Tho I use an A35. The 65 is as decent as the A2 in my opinion.

I mistakenly typed A2. I have an A20.
post #1567 of 1874
Hate it when that happens. I replied to your PM.
post #1568 of 1874
One more question. I have a very expensive 2007 era Monster HDMI on my Toshiba A20 and the came-in-the-box HDMI on the 655. My AVR is a Denon 987 and HDTV is a Sony KDF-46E2000 1080i. Would using the older but supposed better HDMI cable improve the 655's performance?
post #1569 of 1874
No. It's digital, so it either works or it doesn't. Unless you're having major problems like sparkles or your connection totally dropping out, a supposedly better cable isn't going to make any difference.

I've also owned the toshiba and the panny 65/655. IMO the panny's upconversion is about average. It's been so long I can't remember the toshiba PQ. You probably won't see much difference between good and great upconversion on a 46" screen anyway.

It would be nice if you would do a comparison yourself and post the results.
post #1570 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

No. It's digital, so it either works or it doesn't. Unless you're having major problems like sparkles or your connection totally dropping out, a supposedly better cable isn't going to make any difference.

I've also owned the toshiba and the panny 65/655. IMO the panny's upconversion is about average. It's been so long I can't remember the toshiba PQ. You probably won't see much difference between good and great upconversion on a 46" screen anyway.

It would be nice if you would do a comparison yourself and post the results.

I will do a comparison and post my opinion. Thanks.
post #1571 of 1874
I just got a DMP-BD65P-K today and because we have wireless internet in this complex, I will have to update the firmware from a CD. I am seeing multiple versions of the firmware on their site. Which one would I get? 1.70 is for the BD65PU/LB and 1.56 is for DMP-BD65P/PC/PX, DMP-BD655P.

What are the differences between the models?
post #1572 of 1874
I don't know what a BD65PU is, but the latest firmware for the US BD65 is 1.56.
post #1573 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

THIS guy has hacked the panny firmware. But he's only been able to tweak existing but formerly disabled features. I wouldn't count on anyone being able to add a full blown internet browser. And I definitely wouldn't count on anything new for the obsolete BD65.

The easiest solution in your case would be to connect your computer or other internet device to your TV.

Thanks for the link. I took a look at that link and nothing there would interest me anyway. Oh well, it never hurts to ask. Yea, a full blown browser would be cool but even something limited would be nice. What I would really love would be to manage my Netflix instant que from the BD player instead of having to do it from my computer. That is a real PITA.

Thanks again for the link, it was interesting.
post #1574 of 1874
You can manage your queue from the new panasonic models. That's the main reason I sold my 65 and got a 110 (well that and the fact that it was essentially free after selling the Avatar disc that came with it). It does queue management, search, categories, Dolby 5.1, subtitles, you name it. Very worthwhile upgrade.
post #1575 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You can manage your queue from the new panasonic models. That's the main reason I sold my 65 and got a 110 (well that and the fact that it was essentially free after selling the Avatar disc that came with it). It does queue management, search, categories, Dolby 5.1, subtitles, you name it. Very worthwhile upgrade.

Do you notice any SD upscaling difference between the BD65 and the 110?
post #1576 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Do you notice any SD upscaling difference between the BD65 and the 110?
Looks like this link is dead (new model).
post #1577 of 1874
I've been ill so no comparison yet.
post #1578 of 1874
110 is better.
post #1579 of 1874
Quote:
That's the main reason I sold my 65 and got a 110 (well that and the fact that it was essentially free after selling the Avatar disc that came with it).
Free? Almost free? BULL!!! You may have saved a few bucks but quite a stretch to claim almost free.
post #1580 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Do you notice any SD upscaling difference between the BD65 and the 110?
You will NEVER see ANY difference between the two players unless you change your TV. Regardless of the input, your TV is the determining factor of what you end up seeing. Upconversion in todays society is nothing more than marketing.
post #1581 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010
Free? Almost free? BULL!!! You may have saved a few bucks but quite a stretch to claim almost free.
I'd call a 90% savings on a $125 item almost free. Don't take my word for it. Just look at the average selling price of those discs on eBay.

EDIT: HERE's a guy who just sold his disc for $4 more than he paid for the player. So panasonic basically gave him a free player and paid him for his trouble. That's better than free.
post #1582 of 1874
Hey! My father just bought the DMP-BD655 player. I was pumped when I saw this because I've been looking for a player to watch MKV files. Of course this model doesn't. So after a couple searches I found firmwareinfo.com. Sweet! Not really. After signing up and msging them, they deleted my account, no msg back. After my 3rd account deletion and me emailing them they tell me "We do not currently accept new applications". You could have put that on the website.

Did anyone ever receive the enhanced firmware? How long ago? Does it come with all the features or only the ones you ask for? Would anyone be willing to send me the enhanced fw? I am only looking for MKV support, the network stuff I don't care about (I'm guessing that's why they ask for the MAC address).
post #1583 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

You will NEVER see ANY difference between the two players unless you change your TV. Regardless of the input, your TV is the determining factor of what you end up seeing. Upconversion in todays society is nothing more than marketing.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would have to disagree with you vis a vis upconversion being a marketing gimmick.

I have two players that upconvert: a Toshiba HD A3 and a Panasonic BD 65; plus I have a 6 yr. old JVC non-HD player and a similar aged Philips DVD recorder, neither of which do ANY upconverting. I have watched discs on all 4 players on a Panasonic 46" plasma, Panasonic 50" plasma, AND a Mitsubishi HC4900 projector, projecting a 92" diagonal picture. Both the Toshiba and the Panasonic DVD players make older DVD's look VERY good, when compared to DVD's played on either the JVC or Philips.

Again, your mileage may vary!
post #1584 of 1874
So, twice last night my BD65 crashed and rebooted while watching Netflix. It has happened in the past, but I just chalked it up to a slight annoyance.

Don't get me wrong, I love this player. It is dirt cheap and puts out great video.

I just want to know how often this happens to other people. Should I consider going to the hassle of a warranty return? Is there a fix such a a hard reset that might get the CPU to wake up with a fresh brain?

I am definitely not going to return it but would like feedback.

Thanks
Bill
post #1585 of 1874
Just watched the original Tron mover ib BR on new BD65. Amazing is all I can think to say. Last time we watch it was on VHS back in the 80's!
post #1586 of 1874
Up converting - BD65 vs. Toshiba HD-DVD A20

Watching segments of Day After Tomorrow on both. Too close to call. I plan to watch an older DVD next.
post #1587 of 1874
Has anyone had this problem? When my kids put in a DVD there was no sound. I put in a blu-ray disc and had sound in the main movie but not in the main menue and introduction. I switched from bitstream to PCM and it worked fine.

We had a power outage yesterday so I'm wondering if that could have done something. Also, could this be an issue with the receiver and not the player?
post #1588 of 1874
Could be the AVR. Is it all powered by a power conditioner/surge protector? A power strip IS NOT enough protection regardless of the claims made by power strips.
post #1589 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly-95519 View Post

So, twice last night my BD65 crashed and rebooted while watching Netflix. It has happened in the past, but I just chalked it up to a slight annoyance.

Thanks
Bill

An update, I have an older DI-614+ D-Link wireless B router hardwired.

I gave my BD65 a static IP address by going into the routers web based interface and entering the BD65's MAC address and assigning an IP.

The results are a great improvement. No more crashing and the signal strength is always much higher, if not majority of the time maximum.

My conclusion is the Dynamic DHCP server has a great effect on the performance of the BD65.
post #1590 of 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would have to disagree with you vis a vis upconversion being a marketing gimmick.

I have two players that upconvert: a Toshiba HD A3 and a Panasonic BD 65; plus I have a 6 yr. old JVC non-HD player and a similar aged Philips DVD recorder, neither of which do ANY upconverting. I have watched discs on all 4 players on a Panasonic 46" plasma, Panasonic 50" plasma, AND a Mitsubishi HC4900 projector, projecting a 92" diagonal picture. Both the Toshiba and the Panasonic DVD players make older DVD's look VERY good, when compared to DVD's played on either the JVC or Philips.

Again, your mileage may vary!

Comparing two ancient DVD players against newer two that are much newer, with better chipsets, decoding, processing, etc? That's not anywhere near remotely fair. You could take a newer, non-upconverting DVD player made today and compare it against a similar player of yesteryear and achieve the same results. The so-called "upconversion" has nothing to do with it. "Upconversion" is the new Edge Enhancement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD65