or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Considering selling my separates, need recommendations for a AV receiver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Considering selling my separates, need recommendations for a AV receiver

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I currently have an Anthem AVM 50 (really an AVM 20 upgraded), and a Gemstone amp. For a number of reasons I am considering selling them and getting a receiver. I would like a high end (not more them $5000) receiver. Video scaling and deinterlacing is not a must as I preferred my separate video processor to the one in the AVM 50. Basically really good sound, hopefully comparable to what I have. Mostly listen/watch high def tv and blue ray movies, so all the audio bells and whistles are a must.

Ideally, my perfect solution would be a receiver with all the newest audio functions (high def sound, maybe even room correction) will hdmi video pass through(without altering video at all) so I can put a video processor in the middle. But if there are solid recommendations that the community here likes that is an all in one I'm open to suggestions.

Without the video I was hoping for a prices around 3000-4000, I then add the video processor as an extra. If there is a receiver with everything (and the gets top billing in those areas) I'd consider stretching the budget.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #2 of 19
Although some might recommend an Arcam for its reportedly superior sound, I see too many people posting with too many problems. Nonetheless, definitely worth a listen if you can find a dealer in your area.

Otherwise, I think at present the Denon 4810 is the only receiver that offers all the latest features, including full 11.1 support for Audyssey DSX.
post #3 of 19
Checkout the NAD T785HD at one of your local dealers in Vancouver. You might be presently surprised with the 2 channel sound coming from Anthem. Audyssey is not as nice as ARC, but NAD offers their own custom Audyssey curves along with the standard one.
post #4 of 19
Just check the top of the line AVR from all of the manufacturers. They will have everything you can imagine.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Filthy McNasty (lol btw) did you mean I would be pleasantly surprised by the 2 channel on the NAD? You wrote Anthem.
post #6 of 19
Hello,
I would give a look at Onkyo's TX-NR5007. It has pretty much every conceivable feature you can think of. That being said, with HDMI 1.4 AVR's already being announced, I would wait for 1.4 if spending that much.
Cheers,
AD
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka_c View Post

Filthy McNasty (lol btw) did you mean I would be pleasantly surprised by the 2 channel on the NAD? You wrote Anthem.

Yes I did ... sorry about that. The 775HD and 785HD have the same preamp which I found to be very close in SQ to the Arcam AVR600.

BTW, the NAD has computer like modular construction. This will allow future CODEC & HDMI upgrades. Every AVR mfg should be doing this.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka_c View Post

Filthy McNasty (lol btw) did you mean I would be pleasantly surprised by the 2 channel on the NAD? You wrote Anthem.

The NAD is definitely one I'd look at, it appears the modular design might one of the first to actually be supported (other than the uber expensive Meridians). I had the NAD M15 pre-amp for a while and it was outstanding, hopefully that quality trickles down to the receiver line.

The 875 is also Audyssey Pro capable which kicks up the room correction a notch and gets it closer to the Anthem's ARC or Audyssey's stand alone unit.

If you haven't used room correction in the past I think you're in for a treat.

I think with the quality of VP's in displays today having a VP, either external or built into the receiver, is a bit of a waste really. I have the Realta in my AVP and I still get better results sending the digital signal direct to my Reon equipped PJ.

There's been a bit of historical glitches with NAD and HDMI though so do your homework.

The other unit I'd seriously consider would be the Denon 5308ci, it also is Audyssey Pro capable and has a very stable HDMI platform. I couldn't be happier with my AVP, the 5308's big brother pre-amp. I'm very impressed with Denon Link for two channel music and SACD. It doesn't have DSX but it has everything else.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info guys.

What does Audyssey Pro capable mean? Capable of having the functionality? Or does it have this advanced RC?
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka_c View Post

Thanks for the info guys.

What does Audyssey Pro capable mean? Capable of having the functionality? Or does it have this advanced RC?

Audyssey MultEQ XT is the basic platform inside the receivers, it can do up to eight measurements with a supplied mic and subsequent calculations. It is limited to what the receiver will allow in terms of target curve selections, DEQ settings etc.

Audyssey "Pro" is an installer provided service & kit which uses a professionally calibrated microphone and pre-amp and it operates on a laptop to do up to 32 measurements & subsequent calculations. You can customize target curves, DEQ settings and save measurements for re-loading. Some people are able to buy the kits and do it themselves.

The on board Audyssey is no slouch by any means and the value of doing a Pro calibration is room and taste dependent IMO.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I would give a look at Onkyo's TX-NR5007. It has pretty much every conceivable feature you can think of. That being said, with HDMI 1.4 AVR's already being announced, I would wait for 1.4 if spending that much.
Cheers,
AD

Correct, if he does not want a onkyo I would atleast wait for the other receiver companies to release their HDMI 1.4 options.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMIinfinity View Post

...I would atleast wait for the other receiver companies to release their HDMI 1.4 options.

Why?
post #13 of 19
Well, to get the inter-device ethernet that doesn't have any ethernet-capable source devices or displays to network with, not to mention the primitive non-standardized 3D that will require a new TV and BluRay player to work with.

Duh!
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

Well, to get the inter-device ethernet that doesn't have any ethernet-capable source devices or displays to network with, not to mention the primitive non-standardized 3D that will require a new TV and BluRay player to work with.

Duh!



By the time any of these features are actually usable ALL of us will be shopping for new preprocesors/receivers as 10 years will have passed.
post #15 of 19
Since you are planning on using an external video processor, you may be able to find a NAD T885 (885HD without the add on cards) at a very good price. I know that Commerical Electronics on Burrard used to have the complete NAD line including the Masters series setup.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post



By the time any of these features are actually usable ALL of us will be shopping for new preprocesors/receivers as 10 years will have passed.

Besides, I can't afford the glasses.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy View Post

Since you are planning on using an external video processor, you may be able to find a NAD T885 (885HD without the add on cards) at a very good price. I know that Commerical Electronics on Burrard used to have the complete NAD line including the Masters series setup.

Yeah, that's where I got my M15 back when I had it. I think there's another place in White Rock that has NAD - Jack's ?
post #18 of 19
Since audio quality is of utmost importance to me on Blu-Ray/DVD sources at this point & time I am giving serious thought to just upgrading to a Oppo BDP83-SE (possibly even a 3rd Party modded SE) & runnning analog to my older AV Preamp.

Any "reviews" you read here of new gear & all of its flaws is truly frightening! The UMC-1 & Sherwood Newcastle R-972 just as examples.
post #19 of 19
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Considering selling my separates, need recommendations for a AV receiver