or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 6387
I can confirm what post #168 reported. PlayOn on the 370 does not work. It just freezes up the player when you select a video from the DNLA server.

Anyone gotten it work?
post #242 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC4Ever View Post

I'd stay away from prime...

Do the free shipping... they claim 5 to 6 day but in each case I've used it, I've had my items arrive within three days.

When I used prime, I cancelled but they still charge me... I eventually had it taken off my cc. Not good.

That's weird. I ordered stuff from amazon on a monday around 11am and got my item on Wednesday after work...

But then I only used it on a few items and canceling on the 24th
post #243 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7zombie View Post

No, these were the 590's sitting right next to the new stacks of the Samsung's. Fry's had been selling the 390's for $249.99 then to $229.99 (in store) online the the 390's are $199.90, but they don't have any 590's online yet. Fry's.com VS in store can be so different. I think I may go back tomorrow and get one. I didn't grab one, cause I wasn't there to by a new player, cause of the Pioneer BD 320 I got for $179.99. from One Call.

I highly doubt you saw the 590's for $199. The 570s are going for $279 at Fry's. Post a pic if by any chance you get one.
post #244 of 6387
I picked up a 570 at BB Sunday afternoon. Really like the network streaming, but the BD player has been real buggy so far.
Even had trouble playing Casino Royale? Weird. I updated the firmware over wireless out of the box.
When I have a usb drive in it seems worse too. Any thoughts / comparisons? I'd really like to believe
this will all be resolved with future updates because I like the feature set on this player, but
it is first and foremost a BD player, and I have a feeling if I just swap it out for a Panny 85 or Sony 570 I'd have
much better stability. Has anyone directly compared these players? (and maybe the Samsung 6500?)
My other player is a Panny 35, which has really never had a problem. (Never updated the firmware either)
post #245 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

I picked up a 570 at BB Sunday afternoon. Really like the network streaming, but the BD player has been real buggy so far.
Even had trouble playing Casino Royale? Weird. I updated the firmware over wireless out of the box.
When I have a usb drive in it seems worse too. Any thoughts / comparisons? I'd really like to believe
this will all be resolved with future updates because I like the feature set on this player, but
it is first and foremost a BD player, and I have a feeling if I just swap it out for a Panny 85 or Sony 570 I'd have
much better stability. Has anyone directly compared these players? (and maybe the Samsung 6500?)
My other player is a Panny 35, which has really never had a problem. (Never updated the firmware either)

this is my biggest concern at the moment as well. i've read a few too many buggy blu ray playback stories & i'm starting to get nervous about purchasing. i love the feature set, and the track record of the 390 seemed really strong, but now i'm unsure. if anyone else can speak specifically to their blu ray experiences with the 570 i would appreciate it.
post #246 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I picked up a 570 today. Updated the firmware and had no problem playing the previously discussed problem Blu-ray discs: I Am Legend and Up.

Did these discs play all the way through without skipping or locking? For example, in Up, did the newsreel footage in the beginning play all the way through? I assumed it was a firmware issue (I did update mine) but now I wonder if I got a bad player. Can anyone else try these titles out?
post #247 of 6387
Would someone who owns the LG BD550 report on picture quality and sound with blu ray discs and Netflix streaming? I am torn b/t this model and the new Panny BD65
post #248 of 6387
Just purchased the 590 over the weekend at bb. Was lkg forward to a combo BD/networked/hard drive player, and so jumped at the 590. I have FIOS in our house with the standard Verizon router, and running XP Media Center. I have original WDTVs with 2 of our TVs and do not stream files to them from our PC. Since I haven't set up any DLNA to date, I'm not exactly sure how to access the shared files. Is the best bet to use the Nero software included with the LG? I have an external hard drive full of viewing material. Does Nero create a library with those files that can be viewed via the 590?

Kinda newbie stuff admittedly. While the LG manual helps explain things a little, just wondering if there are better options available.

Thanks. . .
post #249 of 6387
So, just about a couple of hours before last night's Oscars, I went and picked up a BD570 from bestbuy.
had about 15 minutes before guests came in and during that time, all I had time to do was hook it up to my plasma and my HT system, run a quick setup and make sure it works.

review so far:
setup was painless....I use hdmi for video and optical out to my HT receiver for sound.
once video and audio were setup, I hit the homelink link to setup media streaming from my NAS box (synology).
surprisingly, this was even more painless!
All I did was setup the 570 with dhcp and verified it picked up an ip from my router (wired). once this was verified, I hit the homelink link and scanned for a DLNA compatible device which it found within 4 seconds.
I clicked on synology and I was up and running.
the synology is configured with movies, photos and music folder which is exactly what I saw on the LG (actually, the synology has a total of 6 folders but the LG picked up 3)
i clicked to go inside the movies folder, clicked on a mkv file and I was up and running.
the fwd and rwd buttons did work but there was considerable lag.
Then I stopped playing this file and played an xvid file which played perfect.
unfortunately, my 15 minutes were up and I had to close my test for last night.

excited to go home today and test out some more features.
I did not update the firmware on the LG but I intend to today.
will also test the mp3 compatibility and photo viewing capabilities tonight.
very sad to report I do not own a single BR disc but seeing that we haven't watched 'Inglorious basterds' and all my friends rave about it, maybe that will be our first BR DVD watch.
post #250 of 6387
Thread Starter 
Yet again, another MKV at the 42 minute mark starts to studder. Looks like this may be going back and I'll stick it out with the BD390.
post #251 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordita View Post

So, just about a couple of hours before last night's Oscars, I went and picked up a BD570 from bestbuy.
had about 15 minutes before guests came in and during that time, all I had time to do was hook it up to my plasma and my HT system, run a quick setup and make sure it works.

review so far:
setup was painless....I use hdmi for video and optical out to my HT receiver for sound.
once video and audio were setup, I hit the homelink link to setup media streaming from my NAS box (synology).
surprisingly, this was even more painless!
All I did was setup the 570 with dhcp and verified it picked up an ip from my router (wired). once this was verified, I hit the homelink link and scanned for a DLNA compatible device which it found within 4 seconds.
I clicked on synology and I was up and running.
the synology is configured with movies, photos and music folder which is exactly what I saw on the LG (actually, the synology has a total of 6 folders but the LG picked up 3)
i clicked to go inside the movies folder, clicked on a mkv file and I was up and running.
the fwd and rwd buttons did work but there was considerable lag.
Then I stopped playing this file and played an xvid file which played perfect.
unfortunately, my 15 minutes were up and I had to close my test for last night.

excited to go home today and test out some more features.
I did not update the firmware on the LG but I intend to today.
will also test the mp3 compatibility and photo viewing capabilities tonight.
very sad to report I do not own a single BR disc but seeing that we haven't watched 'Inglorious basterds' and all my friends rave about it, maybe that will be our first BR DVD watch.

I would like to know how your firmware update went! Here's my review of the BD550 over at Amazon....

Got this unit on March 5th, set up was easy, hooked up to my wired lan, Netflix and Pandora worked great, Youtube no connect same with trying to get latest firmware from LG (hoping it would fix the connection problem with You tube), called tech support 3 times and each time got a different story on what the problem was and each time it was something else but the LG. Oh by the way it hard locked 3 times to the point the only way to get it working again was to unplug the unit and plug it back in again. The main reason for getting this unit was for the Netflix and Pandora, I have a Sony BD 350 which works fine for Blu Rays and DVD's. I forgot the reason I first tried to get the latest firmware is there is a pop up that comes on the screen has soon has you turn on the LG, and after you hit the OK to get the firmware it waits a while and comes back that for you to check your connection which I do and if you still can't connect, to call wonderful tech support and that's why I'm writing this, the last guy I talked to said don't worry about the pop up just use this wonderful product.....What would you do? Well its on it way back to Amazon, and thank god for them its a pleasure to do busy with them, LG not so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #252 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Yet again, another MKV at the 42 minute mark starts to studder. Looks like this may be going back and I'll stick it out with the BD390.

Stuttering via dlna, usb, or from the internal hdd? i transferred a bunch of mkv files to the hdd. will check them out tomorrow night to see how they're playing. mkv over dlna was a no go, although xvid was fine.

fwiw, i loaded the nero mediahome software on my pc and everything is recognized and running.

UPDATE: well not quite so great. i set the 590 up to transfer 5 files (mkv) overnight, and when i checked this morning, the player read ERROR and it did not copy anything over wireless to the internal hard drive. will try a reboot tonight. i thought all would be well last night as the status tab in nero mediahome showed the transfer in progress to the 590. i also have my router upstairs in a bedroom and the 590 in the basement. will be moving it upstairs closer to the router.


also, i was able to play several dvds with AVCHD files pretty flawlessly. i had inconsistent results with my other players: some of those discs would play only on one machine, some would play without ffwd, etc (among my other players: Panny 30, 60, Sony 350, Memorex 2510). but the LG played them all and ffwd/rew worked on three that i tried with no lag, etc.
ultimately if this is an all in one to replace a blu-ray and WDTV, and it decodes DTS internally to playback mkv's with DTS on my bedroom TV (something the WDTV won't do), i'll be happy even if the streaming isn't capable of dealing with large mkv files.
post #253 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoholic247 View Post

I highly doubt you saw the 590's for $199. The 570s are going for $279 at Fry's. Post a pic if by any chance you get one.

Yep. dave7zombie is a liar.
post #254 of 6387
Can this thing play m2ts via usb?
post #255 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by easley View Post

i can confirm what post #168 reported. Playon on the 370 does not work. It just freezes up the player when you select a video from the dnla server.

Anyone gotten it work?

to update turn player off,restart,go to setup,go to options,then update. Works every time.
post #256 of 6387
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes4444 View Post

Stuttering via dlna, usb, or from the internal hdd? i transferred a bunch of mkv files to the hdd. will check them out tomorrow night to see how they're playing. mkv over dlna was a no go, although xvid was fine.

fwiw, i loaded the nero mediahome software on my pc and everything is recognized and running.

Both via Internal HD.
post #257 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fuzzy View Post

to update turn player off,restart,go to setup,go to options,then update. Works every time.

Are we talking about the 370 or the 570? I had Playon working with my 390, so it should with a 370 too, but will not work so far with the 570.
post #258 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodabides View Post

Did these discs play all the way through without skipping or locking? For example, in Up, did the newsreel footage in the beginning play all the way through? I assumed it was a firmware issue (I did update mine) but now I wonder if I got a bad player. Can anyone else try these titles out?

I (or at least, my parents) are in the same boat. They bought a BD570 last week, they upgraded to the latest firmware, but "Up" will not play properly (they tell me it skips to another chapter when it's not supposed to at various points during playback). Unfortunately, they do not have any other blu-ray discs to test.
post #259 of 6387
I wonder how many 570/590s are actually out there that have no problems at all? Everything I try and research on this site is usually just filled with threads with problems (i'm not complaining about that per se). I dont think I read one post in this thread that didnt have at least one negative to say about this product, which appears to be the successor to a product already out (390) that has much fewer problems.

I'm just glad this forum is here so you/we can see (obviously) the crap that manufacturers push out. You would think some testing would be done prior to a major launch like this.

I'm in the market for my first Bluray player and I like to do research but if I based my purchase off these forums, looks like ill be getting the OPPO 80, but then I miss out on some nice features offered by the LG's/Panny's/Sonys of the world like netflix streaming etc..
post #260 of 6387
i was ready to pull the trigger on lg's 570, but the more i read i'm leaning towards sony's BDP S570 instead. dunno...gotta think about it.
post #261 of 6387
I received my DB 570 yesterday from Adorama. I had no problem setting up a Wi-Fi connection, DLNA server and connecting to it without even reading the manual. I was able to play mp3 and mpegs and view jpegs via DLNA. I did not have a blue-ray disc to test and it still connected to my old CRT TV (the next thing I am going to upgrade). I tried Netflix, Picasa, Pandora, AccuWeather - everything works.
Although there were a couple problems with it.
1. While playing mp3 over DLNA (from Nero mediahome server) the player sometimes lost a connection and showed the error message about "network congestion". All devices (router and network card on my server PC) are 802.11n, so the connection speed should not be an issue.
2. It does not remember the login/password for Pandora, so I had to enter it every time, which is annoying. Hopefully it will be fixed by the next firmware.
post #262 of 6387
It has already been established these players will stream MKV's over a network. Can anyone say if they are supposed to be able to stream MKV with lossless audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD?) Or an MKV with lossless audio from an attached USB hard drive for that matter?
post #263 of 6387
I swapped the 570 for a Panasonic BD85 and thought some of you might like a first impression comparison.

The BD player on the Panny has been great as long as BD live is not activated. BD live seems to mess with things a bit.
Locked up Iron Man and one other. When I deactivated BD live no problems at all. Picture is great.
The LG is far superior with networking and other features. I tried Netflix and Vudu on the LG and was amazed how
smooth they were. Especially Vudu, streaming 1080p video with not a hitch. I think the LGs speed capabilities have a lot to do with this.
I took the LG back because it had a lot of problems with BD playback.

The Panny has been disappointing when networking. The Netflix interface is literally just your instant que, and HD movies
sometimes get downgraded because of net speed. The Panny of course doesn't have Vudu, but Amazon, and the HD movie
I tried absolutely will not maintain an HD level. I think either the wireless dongle or just the internal wireless hardware are
sub-standard compared with the LG. I even went out and bought a new router to upgrade to wireless N, which did cause
a huge boost in my laptop connection speed (went from averaging 12 - 13 Mb/s to now 19 - 20 Mb/s) but doesn't seem
to have helped the Panny at all.

So, I guess these do-it-all players have a ways to go before getting everything right.
I am considering trying the Sony 570 when a few come in to BB.
post #264 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

I swapped the 570 for a Panasonic BD85 and thought some of you might like a first impression comparison.

The BD player on the Panny has been great as long as BD live is not activated. BD live seems to mess with things a bit.
Locked up Iron Man and one other. When I deactivated BD live no problems at all. Picture is great.
The LG is far superior with networking and other features. I tried Netflix and Vudu on the LG and was amazed how
smooth they were. Especially Vudu, streaming 1080p video with not a hitch. I think the LGs speed capabilities have a lot to do with this.
I took the LG back because it had a lot of problems with BD playback.

The Panny has been disappointing when networking. The Netflix interface is literally just your instant que, and HD movies
sometimes get downgraded because of net speed. The Panny of course doesn't have Vudu, but Amazon, and the HD movie
I tried absolutely will not maintain an HD level. I think either the wireless dongle or just the internal wireless hardware are
sub-standard compared with the LG. I even went out and bought a new router to upgrade to wireless N, which did cause
a huge boost in my laptop connection speed (went from averaging 12 - 13 Mb/s to now 19 - 20 Mb/s) but doesn't seem
to have helped the Panny at all.

So, I guess these do-it-all players have a ways to go before getting everything right.
I am considering trying the Sony 570 when a few come in to BB.

Hey - hurry up and try the Sony 570 already!

I do appreciate your insights...

Leaning toward the Panny 85 because I don't stream that much (and am LAN-ready anyway), but interested in your opinions about sound quality and upscaling on the Panny because it boasts some special features that way. Any insight would help!
post #265 of 6387
Moved my 590 closer to the router, and the wireless connectivity certainly improved. I was able to transfer two mkv files to the player. the third failed for some reason. Also attached a WD Passport drive to the USB and it recognized it quickly.

Played an mkv file off of the external drive and it locked up about 85 mins in. The unit became nonresponsive. Unplugged and rebooted and all was well.

I'm hopeful that this, like most new players, will receive regular firmware updates to deal with these glitches. It's certainly a more complex unit than previous BD players. The playback problem with mkv is significant, as of course are the BD playback issues experienced by others. But I'll be keeping a close watch on that 45 day return window. . .
post #266 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Hey - hurry up and try the Sony 570 already!

I do appreciate your insights...

Leaning toward the Panny 85 because I don't stream that much (and am LAN-ready anyway), but interested in your opinions about sound quality and upscaling on the Panny because it boasts some special features that way. Any insight would help!

Yeah, if BB had any in my area I'd probably try it tomorrow!
I will say that when I hooked up a hard line to the 85 just to see what would happen the speed was
a lot more stable, but I bought this player specifically for wireless. If you wire it you'll probably be ok.

I'm probably not the right person to ask about upconversion. The main tv I have it hooked up to is a rear projection crt, and
I use a dvd player over component for dvds. I did try a few dvds on the Panny over hdmi but they look a lot better through
the dvd player. I have a 1080p 42" plasma in the bedroom so maybe I'll hook it up and see how it does on that set.

As far as sound, I'm running hdmi to my Onkyo TX-SR576. Not using the analog outputs.
I think it sounds real good when putting out a high res signal. Very impressive.
post #267 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

Yeah, if BB had any in my area I'd probably try it tomorrow!
I will say that when I hooked up a hard line to the 85 just to see what would happen the speed was
a lot more stable, but I bought this player specifically for wireless. If you wire it you'll probably be ok.

I'm probably not the right person to ask about upconversion. The main tv I have it hooked up to is a rear projection crt, and
I use a dvd player over component for dvds. I did try a few dvds on the Panny over hdmi but they look a lot better through
the dvd player. I have a 1080p 42" plasma in the bedroom so maybe I'll hook it up and see how it does on that set.

As far as sound, I'm running hdmi to my Onkyo TX-SR576. Not using the analog outputs.
I think it sounds real good when putting out a high res signal. Very impressive.

Great insight - thanks. Back to the regularly-scheduled program..
post #268 of 6387
I have a 590 and until this evening I have been happy with it. I have been reading all the posts here about troubles with BD disc playback and took note. While watching American Gangster the player briefly froze then started up several minutes ahead of where I was before the freeze. It did this five times. I have about two weeks left before my 30 day return policy at BB expires. Has anyone talked to LG about this issue? I have updated the firmware and don't know where to go from here. What do they have to say? If no one has called them then I will and I'll report here what they say.
post #269 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

I have a 590 and until this evening I have been happy with it. I have been reading all the posts here about troubles with BD disc playback and took note. While watching American Gangster the player briefly froze then started up several minutes ahead of where I was before the freeze. It did this five times. I have about two weeks left before my 30 day return policy at BB expires. Has anyone talked to LG about this issue? I have updated the firmware and don't know where to go from here. What do they have to say? If no one has called them then I will and I'll report here what they say.

I plan to contact them about the mkv issues and the wireless transfer issue. Anyone experiencing issues should contact them to help identify the problems so we can get the firmware fixes. . .
post #270 of 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

I have a 590 and until this evening I have been happy with it. I have been reading all the posts here about troubles with BD disc playback and took note. While watching American Gangster the player briefly froze then started up several minutes ahead of where I was before the freeze. It did this five times. I have about two weeks left before my 30 day return policy at BB expires. Has anyone talked to LG about this issue? I have updated the firmware and don't know where to go from here. What do they have to say? If no one has called them then I will and I'll report here what they say.

I emailed LG and got a quick response to update my firmware. I had already done that out of the box. Unless they put something out over the last four days since my last update, it isn't going to help. I think my next step is to get someone on the phone so I can't be dismissed so quickly with such an easy textbook answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread