or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

Click here. Then, click on the Firmware update, scroll down, and you'll see it. LG always likes to only include one change per changelog, even if they added multiple things. It's really weird.

Not exactly weird, just totally uninformative... we all know that the big 317C update added a whole new Netcast application for DIVX TV, yet all it says about that update is "Improved function of Disc Info Grace Note". Silly.

The recent update from driver K80594 to K80597 is not on the web site yet, so we don't have a clue about that.
post #3092 of 6383
a) When playing an mpeg2 video, if no embedded audio stream has the PID 128 (0x80), it simply plays the video silently instead of using the first audio PID available (as other media players do) and then letting you choose others via the Info/Display menu. In other words, it only wants to play audio with PID 128.

b) When playing an mpeg2 video with embedded subtitles and/or captions, it does not appear to offer any of those subtitle/caption options in the Info/Display menu (even though there is a selector there for subtitles, it is disabled).
post #3093 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenash View Post

Been watching this to see how you make out! Last I touched base on this thread looking at HD swaps looked like it wasn't possible.

So - was going to order the 1TB since Doctor has already done that, but figure I'll wait to see how you make out with the 2TB.

Looks to me that trying to go beyond 2TB to the 2.5/3TB might be risky as far as compatibility.

In the meantime, also reading over teehex905's post.

I put in the WD Green 1.5TB four days ago and am very pleased with the results. Lots of room now, and my MKV files play fine. The only thing I found a little alarming was that during the formatting step, for a long time the screen reads 100% but the crawl continues to run. If you try this, let it run until the formatting finished box appears. It then took me a couple of days to copy all my files from the external hard drive I was using, but they're all there now!
post #3094 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post


BTW the app for IPOD works pretty well.

Hey Doc,

Have you been able to get the disc info (button in the upper right corner) to work on the iPhone app? I have tried a few discs and they all come up Null. I even grabbed the info via Gracenote first, but still get null results when using the disc info button on the iPhone app.
post #3095 of 6383
Hey. I'm considering getting the 570 and have read that it had some major issues at release. How is this now? Fixed? I'm especially thinking about playing BDs like Up and Terminator which it didn't manage. And I want to use it like a mediaplayer. So can someone tell me how it works for that? Playing mkv files with external subitles (.srt) through USB is not a problem?

Also: I've read that the DVD-upscaling not is very good. But is it so bad that you can't watch them?
post #3096 of 6383
I apologize in advance if the answer is located within this post.. But I have searched to no avail, so I post my question to you all:

I have a BD570, and a DirecTv HR22 HD-DVR. I can see the DVR though the home network, as well as browse the recorded episodes. However, when I go to play the episode, it freezes, then turns off. A phone call to LG got me the standard "DirecTV is not supported and that is why you can't play the shows". If this is correct, then that sucks... But I could've sworn I have read about others playing recorded content from the DVR via the player. Any insight?

Added note: When browsing the network on the BD570, it says HR20 playlist, instead of HR22. Is this just because it's in the HR2* series, or a possible reason for the failure?

Thanks in advance to any help.
post #3097 of 6383
LG does not play Dircectv DVR recorded programs over the network.
post #3098 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davith78 View Post

I did a similar thing years ago with replacing the hard drive of my legacy Xbox for a bigger one. The new hard drive had to be formatted in a specific way and after that it had to be locked in order to work in the xbox. It was done by attaching the hard drive to a pc and booting into a specific build of linux from a cdrom.

I think you have to google around how to unlock a drive. There is this specific website that offers a software tool but you have to pay for it, depending on the hard drives' capacity

But maybe there are also free tools around, I am not sure.

Thanks for the respond. You were right, it's similar to XBOX drive upgrade.

LG BD590 will lock every 3.5" HDD that inserted and set ATA user password security with maximum level flag inside the drive and format the drive using ext3 filesystem.
BD590 will create three partitions, the largest one is for your files.

The problem began when I wanted to use the the Hitachi drive that was built in in BD590, in my PC.
It required me to enter user password/master password to access the drive.

Finally managed to get the user password, but have to use MHDD ver. 4.5 with ATA terminal (floppy version), and ran custom script to get a dump file consisting the user password and also master password that specific to the hard drive manufacturer.

HDDunlock.com cannot do the job for built in Hitachi 250GB drive -- at least now.
post #3099 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniusy View Post


Thanks for the respond. You were right, it's similar to XBOX drive upgrade.

LG BD590 will lock every 3.5" HDD that inserted and set ATA user password security with maximum level flag inside the drive and format the drive using ext3 filesystem.
BD590 will create three partitions, the largest one is for your files.

The problem began when I wanted to use the the Hitachi drive that was built in in BD590, in my PC.
It required me to enter user password/master password to access the drive.

Finally managed to get the user password, but have to use MHDD ver. 4.5 with ATA terminal (floppy version), and ran custom script to get a dump file consisting the user password and also master password that specific to the hard drive manufacturer.

HDDunlock.com cannot do the job for built in Hitachi 250GB drive -- at least now.

So if u want to upgrade the hdd in the 590 all you have to do is swap it out with a larger one that's it?
post #3100 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribagorza View Post

Hey. I'm considering getting the 570 and have read that it had some major issues at release. How is this now? Fixed? I'm especially thinking about playing BDs like Up and Terminator which it didn't manage. And I want to use it like a mediaplayer. So can someone tell me how it works for that? Playing mkv files with external subitles (.srt) through USB is not a problem?

Also: I've read that the DVD-upscaling not is very good. But is it so bad that you can't watch them?

Pretty sure 'Up' and 'The Terminator' have been fixed, but newer ones like 'Toy Story 3,' 'Avatar - Extended Cut,' 'Aliens,' and most likely 'Inception' still have problems.

Files that have subtitles play fine with the subtitles when using a USB.

I don't have any complaints about the DVD upscaling. I think it looks quite good. There are some DVDs and 480p AVI files that when upscaled, I would think were Blu-rays if I didn't know any better. It really depends on the DVD (how well it was compressed). I'd say it's one of the better upscaling players that I've seen (not as good as the Oppo players, but then again, what is?).
post #3101 of 6383
Hey guys,

I have a very basic question. I am trying to decide between the BD570 & BD590, but I don't know if it's possible on the BD570 to be able to transfer files DIRECTLY from your PC to a USB hard drive (that I will have plugged in).

For example, if I get the BD570, can I just plug into it a 1TB external USB hard drive and be able to browse folders that are on my PC (from the blu-ray player).. then just copy them over onto the external hard drive? So basically the file that I wish to transfer would be sent wirelessly to the external hard drive.

This would avoid the additional steps of unplugging the external hard drive, bring it to my PC, plugging it in again, copying the files that I need, bringing it back to the TV, connecting it again, then playing the movie.

I know this is possible to do on the BD590 (with the built in drive), but can you also do it on BD570 (using an external hard drive)?

Would appreciate the help,

~ Im2bz2p345
post #3102 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So if u want to upgrade the hdd in the 590 all you have to do is swap it out with a larger one that's it?

Pretty much that is it. You want to use a low power green drive that draws minimal power.
post #3103 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2bz2p345 View Post

Hey guys,

I have a very basic question. I am trying to decide between the BD570 & BD590, but I don't know if it's possible on the BD570 to be able to transfer files DIRECTLY from your PC to a USB hard drive (that I will have plugged in).

For example, if I get the BD570, can I just plug into it a 1TB external USB hard drive and be able to browse folders that are on my PC (from the blu-ray player).. then just copy them over onto the external hard drive? So basically the file that I wish to transfer would be sent wirelessly to the external hard drive.

This would avoid the additional steps of unplugging the external hard drive, bring it to my PC, plugging it in again, copying the files that I need, bringing it back to the TV, connecting it again, then playing the movie.

I know this is possible to do on the BD590 (with the built in drive), but can you also do it on BD570 (using an external hard drive)?

Would appreciate the help,

~ Im2bz2p345

You could just get an external hard drive, save the movies to that and let the player read those files using DLNA.
post #3104 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

Pretty much that is it. You want to use a low power green drive that draws minimal power.

Do you have a suggestions on a 1 terabyte drive?
post #3105 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post

You could just get an external hard drive, save the movies to that and let the player read those files using DLNA.

Yes, I understand that, but can I plugin in an external hard drive into the BD570.. then use the BD570 to browse folders on my PC.. and just transfer the movie that I want (it will transfer the movie from my computer to the external hard drive wirelessly)?

^ If that's possible, please let me know!

~ Im2bz2p345
post #3106 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2bz2p345 View Post

Yes, I understand that, but can I plugin in an external hard drive into the BD570.. then use the BD570 to browse folders on my PC.. and just transfer the movie that I want (it will transfer the movie from my computer to the external hard drive wirelessly)?

^ If that's possible, please let me know!

~ Im2bz2p345

No, that's not possible with the BD570.
post #3107 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

No, that's not possible with the BD570.

Even if it were, it would be a very slow way to copy a file to your USB drive (vs. just plugging the drive into the computer and doing it there.)
post #3108 of 6383
I don't know if anyone saw my last post bc I didn't get a response but I have mess with it some more and still find this very strange.

Just got a new wireless-n router and when I stream via dlna now it has trouble returning to normal playback after fast forwarding. If I turn off the wireless-n and just use b/g then it seems to work fine. Very strange.

To the person who wants a hdd recommendation. Make sure whether or not the lg bd570 can access unpowered harddrives, i.e. ones that don't use an ac adapter. I'm not sure if it can. As far as brand Western Digital seems to be one of the most trusted brands at the moment. Just check dealnews, newegg and amazon for the best price.
post #3109 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So if u want to upgrade the hdd in the 590 all you have to do is swap it out with a larger one that's it?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

Pretty much that is it. You want to use a low power green drive that draws minimal power.

I prefer to use Seagate LP 5900rpm.
Because WDC Green has variable rpm speed.

Currently using 2TB Seagate LP in BD590, let's see if it handles all lossless files and mkvs without problem (still copying my files, takes forever.. )
post #3110 of 6383
just wanted to say that i am loving the 570 - the hd of the 590 was not important but the wireless is. we stream netflix a lot and have rented a few movies form vudu. the remote is good but needs to be back lit (have hte harmony anyway) and seeing bluray for the first time was amazing on my 106 in screen!
post #3111 of 6383
I have issues with jpg files, I know the manual states:
Photo Files
Recommended size:
Less than 4,000 x 3,000 x 24 bit/pixel
Less than 3,000 x 3,000 x 32 bit/pixel
Notice they say: RECOMMENDED, which would imply that it will play a 4000x3000 file; it does not. However, if I resize the file and decrease it to 3999x2999, it will play fine. There must be a lot of 12 megapixel cameras whose owners would bristle at having to resize EVERY picture by one pixel to play via Home link. Any thoughts?
post #3112 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

No, that's not possible with the BD570.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Even if it were, it would be a very slow way to copy a file to your USB drive (vs. just plugging the drive into the computer and doing it there.)

Thanks for the responses guys!

I have one other question.. is there a difference in playback of the a HD movie from a USB hard drive (BD570) vs playback of a HD movie from a SATA2 drive (BD590)?

For example, is it every choppy if I a very high bitrate movie from the USB drive? I ask because I know the transfer rate of SATA2 is much higher than USB 2.0

Also, are there any unpowered (self powered) USB external hard drives that will work with the BD570?

~ Im2bz2p345
post #3113 of 6383
Wow there is a lot of information here.

I am looking to buy either BD570 or the Pioneer BDP-330.

I know the BD570 is DLNA certified, can I stream movies from my WHS?

Are there many problems streaming movies from a home server?

Has anyone compared it to Pioneer BDP-330?

I just bought LG PK550 60" Plasma and Pioneer VSX 1120-K, so figured I would go either LG or Pioneer.

I would like to have the DLNA as I have over 1100 movies on my WHS, but it is not a deal breaker as I already have a WD-Live.
post #3114 of 6383
I am having skipping issues with Robin Hood on the player (found it mentioned in this forum). The instructions for the fix were to disable BD-Live (found this and disabled it), and to "Clear BD-Live storage". For the life of me i cannot find where in the menu to do this second instruction. Any help would be appreciated in pointing me in the right direction, Thanks!
post #3115 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 View Post

Wow there is a lot of information here.

I am looking to buy either BD570 or the Pioneer BDP-330.

I know the BD570 is DLNA certified, can I stream movies from my WHS?

Are there many problems streaming movies from a home server?

Has anyone compared it to Pioneer BDP-330?

I just bought LG PK550 60" Plasma and Pioneer VSX 1120-K, so figured I would go either LG or Pioneer.

I would like to have the DLNA as I have over 1100 movies on my WHS, but it is not a deal breaker as I already have a WD-Live.


Yep the BD570 works fine streaming from a WHS, great experience. For some reason, my MKV files came back this week-end...
I am also using the Pioneer receiver, no problem.
post #3116 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 View Post

Wow there is a lot of information here.

I am looking to buy either BD570 or the Pioneer BDP-330.

I know the BD570 is DLNA certified, can I stream movies from my WHS?

Are there many problems streaming movies from a home server?

Has anyone compared it to Pioneer BDP-330?

I just bought LG PK550 60" Plasma and Pioneer VSX 1120-K, so figured I would go either LG or Pioneer.

I would like to have the DLNA as I have over 1100 movies on my WHS, but it is not a deal breaker as I already have a WD-Live.

One nice thing about the 570 is that you don't even need to have a DLNA server set up -- it will read files straight off of SMB/CIFS shares!
post #3117 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniusy View Post

Thanks for the respond. You were right, it's similar to XBOX drive upgrade.

LG BD590 will lock every 3.5" HDD that inserted and set ATA user password security with maximum level flag inside the drive and format the drive using ext3 filesystem.
BD590 will create three partitions, the largest one is for your files.

The problem began when I wanted to use the the Hitachi drive that was built in in BD590, in my PC.
It required me to enter user password/master password to access the drive.

Finally managed to get the user password, but have to use MHDD ver. 4.5 with ATA terminal (floppy version), and ran custom script to get a dump file consisting the user password and also master password that specific to the hard drive manufacturer.

HDDunlock.com cannot do the job for built in Hitachi 250GB drive -- at least now.

All right! Good to hear you succeeded
post #3118 of 6383
Okay, had my first time ever skipping issue with the shiny new Inception blu ray disc. It went away after I switched from 24p to 50 Hz. BD-live was already disabled.

What the heck LG, how long do we have to stick with this? Apparently they cannot fix this issue as it is still coming alongside with every new firmware it seems
post #3119 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarkas View Post

There must be a lot of 12 megapixel cameras whose owners would bristle at having to resize EVERY picture by one pixel to play via Home link. Any thoughts?

I decreased my camera's pixel resolution instead of resizing all files.
post #3120 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

One nice thing about the 570 is that you don't even need to have a DLNA server set up -- it will read files straight off of SMB/CIFS shares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davith78 View Post

All right! Good to hear you succeeded

Thanks for the info, I think I will go with the LG, unless someone can tell me that the Pioneer is better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread