or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 197

post #5881 of 6383
In that case, unfortunately, the font appears to be fixed. It doesn't even obey tags like bold () which might have helped.
post #5882 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofii12345 View Post

I mean subs form srt. My dad have some problem with eyes and he says that they are too small and too thin for him.
Is it any way to modify font in player?

You'll probably need a separate media player to adjust the subtitle size. I have a Patriot Box Office player:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...id=895&type=20

The subtitle options are on page 18 of the pdf manual, unless the manual has been revised.
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...2010_01_1_.pdf

Your dad will need to learn how to use the interface on the media player. Plus it's another device to buy and find room for. Before buying one, see if a friend has one you can try out before wasting time returning a player your dad may not like.
post #5883 of 6383
Update on issue for my BD590 :http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20854405

LG waived the 69$ labor fee and fixed it for me!

Much satisfied with their customer service now (spoke to LG Executive Service-877-543-8325).

Had to argue (very politely ) for a bit on why LG exchanged a lesser model (BD530) when it had a similar issue but not on the higher end BD590.

After hanging up with rep, two hours later I got a phone call that they waived the Labor fee
post #5884 of 6383
Recently purchased a BD550. Tried connecting it via an HDMI cable to my Panasonic TH37PX70 plasma TV.
I get the LG logo for a few seconds then the screen goes black, tested with several discs.
The cable has previously been used to connect a laptop to the same TV.












lg
post #5885 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by E J Ben View Post

Recently purchased a BD550. Tried connecting it via an HDMI cable to my Panasonic TH37PX70 plasma TV.
I get the LG logo for a few seconds then the screen goes black, tested with several discs.
The cable has previously been used to connect a laptop to the same TV.

Might be a handshake problem between the player & your tv. But I would try another HDMI cable first. Also, if your TV has more than one HDMI connection, I would try putting the cable into a different one.
post #5886 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by E J Ben View Post

Recently purchased a BD550. Tried connecting it via an HDMI cable to my Panasonic TH37PX70 plasma TV.
I get the LG logo for a few seconds then the screen goes black, tested with several discs.
The cable has previously been used to connect a laptop to the same TV.

lg

I'm assuming you bought the player used. It sounds like the device may be set to a video mode which your TV does not support. Try connecting the player to your TV via composite or component, that should allow you to get into the video settings to make sure the player is set to send a signal to the HDMI output which your TV can handle.
post #5887 of 6383
tried both hdmi ports on the TV, no joy.
the player is in fact brand new.
i will try connecting using scart.
post #5888 of 6383
Hi All,
I just got this info on the BD590 from LG support who had to investigate the answer from the LG engineers:
The maximum bitrate of video files that this player can handle is 20Mbps. They said that maximum applies for both streaming videos over your network and for videos that are on the unit's internal hard drive, however I asked them to confirm this as well since others in this forum have stated that higher bitrate videos that stutter over a 1 gigabit network do not stutter when on the hard drive.

In any case, I would imagine that 20Mbps is the peak bitrate limit for stuttering to occur. So if a video that has an average bitrate fo 15Mbps fluctuates up and down but ultimately stays below 20Mbps, then it should play fine. But if you play a file with an average bitrate of 18Mbps that could see a peak of 23Mbps, then you could experience the stutter.

This is just my theory at this point. But to be safe, if you are encoding or downloading video files to stream with this player I would reco not going any higher than 15Mbps average bitrate or 20Mbps peak bitrate.
post #5889 of 6383
^^ I've found this to be true in only one instance - when the 'header bitrate' equals or exceeds 20Mbps on .TS files I try to play which I recorded with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. In this case, the file will just not play at all (as opposed to stuttering) regardless of if the file is on the HD or on the network. They will work file once you modify the header bitrate on the first frame but that's another long story...

All of the full HD MKV files I've tested, have much higher bitrates.. for example, a certain file I have, has the following characteristics:

Overall bit rate : 25.6 Mbps
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 23.6 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 31.0 Mbps

The bitrates here are far above 20Mbps and this file plays absolutely perfectly when accessed from the BD590's hard drive. But stutters like mad over the network.

So what LG support stated is half-right but I'm sure they haven't tested every scenario like we do here

I still contend there's a major problem with the 10/100 card in these units. Because it is signficantly slow to just copy a file from a file share to the BD590's HD (where no video rendering is going on whatsoever). It takes hours to copy for example a 17GB video file, while every computer in the house, even those with 100Mbps cards, copy them significantly faster......
post #5890 of 6383
Hi there. I hope someone can help with this! I have been scouring the internet but to no avail... I have a BD570, which I have had for just over a year, and I love it.

I have always found it easier to simply share my folders on my old Windows XP folder, and then access them from Home Link. I can then play movies perfectly, including selecting subtitles, etc.

I have just finally upgraded my ancient workhorse XP machine to a new Windows 7 PC...and I cannot access shared folders on the BD570! I see my PC twice in the menu, once as a Black Icon that prompts me for a user name and password(?), the other a Windows Media Player icon that only features the 'libraries' and not my shared folders. How can I resolve this? I have been through every option I can see on homeshare!
post #5891 of 6383
I don't know the particulars of what your issues may be with Windows 7, but I'll say I've had much better success with the serviio.org software above what's bundled with these players. I'd make the switch if for no other reason than to dump that old stuff.
post #5892 of 6383
Gidday
I only just recently picked up the BD550. It works okay for a basic player...with the networking capabilities I am attempting to hook it up to my computer (Windows 7) as its too far from the router. Is there a way that I can connect it to my computer and allocate and IP address to the BD550?
Any suggestions appreciated...

cheers

col
post #5893 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokey View Post

Gidday
I only just recently picked up the BD550. It works okay for a basic player...with the networking capabilities I am attempting to hook it up to my computer (Windows 7) as its too far from the router. Is there a way that I can connect it to my computer and allocate and IP address to the BD550?
Any suggestions appreciated...

cheers

col

Probably, but there may be an easier way. When you say "too far from the router" I assume you mean for a wireless connection ?

How is your computer connected to your network? If it's wired to the router and you are able to run a cable from your BD550 to the computer, simply put a switch (or hub) near the computer. You'll need at least a three port switch. Cable from router into one port, cable from the computer network adapter into the second and cable from the BD550 into the third. Done.

If this won't work explain why and provide details of your current network connections. There are a multitude of possible solutions but knowing your network layout is necessary for finding what fits your requirement.
post #5894 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

Probably, but there may be an easier way. When you say "too far from the router" I assume you mean for a wireless connection ?

No...it would pick up wireless no problem but considering the price of a WiFi dongle and compared to a Cat-5 cable, I thought I would try the later first before lashing out...
What sort of wifi dongle would I need to connect the Blu Ray?

Quote:


How is your computer connected to your network? If it's wired to the router and you are able to run a cable from your BD550 to the computer, simply put a switch (or hub) near the computer. You'll need at least a three port switch. Cable from router into one port, cable from the computer network adapter into the second and cable from the BD550 into the third. Done.

The computer is connected wirelessly.

Quote:


If this won't work explain why and provide details of your current network connections. There are a multitude of possible solutions but knowing your network layout is necessary for finding what fits your requirement.

As above, the computer is connected via wireless to the router. If that makes sense...

cheers

col
post #5895 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokey View Post

No...it would pick up wireless no problem but considering the price of a WiFi dongle and compared to a Cat-5 cable, I thought I would try the later first before lashing out...
What sort of wifi dongle would I need to connect the Blu Ray?

A wifi bridge such as the Cisco WET-610n would work, or perhaps you could use a pair of those power line ethernet adapters. But if you knew wireless was your preferred solution, it would have probably been cheaper to get a 570, not a 550.
post #5896 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

A wifi bridge such as the Cisco WET-610n would work, or perhaps you could use a pair of those power line ethernet adapters

Considering the price of WiFi USB adapters and the slow introduction of the "N" standard, it seems like the price of the older "G" models are dropping...have located the TP-Link TL-WN321G for a measly $12 that should do the job...

Quote:


But if you knew wireless was your preferred solution, it would have probably been cheaper to get a 570, not a 550.

The wife bought it for me...I didnt get to have a say in the matter...no biggie, I watched a movie this afternoon on it and the vision was crisp, clean and colourful (watched House of Flying Daggers) and audio excellent...

cheers

col
post #5897 of 6383
brokey,

If your PC has an ethernet adapter (or you install one for ~ $10 US) you can configure Win7 to bridge the wired and wireless networks.

Then a cat5 cable from your BD550 to the computer will get you connected to your router. Sometimes a direct connection between adapters (no switch or hub) will require a special Ethernet crossover cable. Many adapters can automatically detect this situation and adjust so that a normal cable can be used so I would try that first.

As already suggested a wireless gaming adapter (it must be ethernet, USB adapters will not work with the BD550) or a stand alone wireless bridge will also do the job.

Good luck
post #5898 of 6383
Hi all,

I have been using my BD570 in wireless mode since I got it and have not had much (if any) trouble with it seeing my Windows 7 shares (I have the Homegroup turned off in Win7). Recently I hooked up an old Dlink DIR-601 router running Gargoyle firmware (in client bridge mode) to the BD570 and switched it to wired mode. While the BD570 passes the connection tests and I have no problem getting on the net, it will no longer see my shares. All I see are two icons for my computer and when I select either of them I am asked for a password. When I type in my creds and click OK nothing happens.

TIA for any help.

Ken
post #5899 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

As already suggested a wireless gaming adapter (it must be ethernet, USB adapters will not work with the BD550) or a stand alone wireless bridge will also do the job.

So will the Wireless Tp Link TL-WN321G Usb LAN adapter not work on the BD550?

cheers

col
post #5900 of 6383
No, the player cannot make a network connection on the USB Port. It only supports networking on the ethernet (RJ45) port. Any one of these wireless ethernet adapters should work.

Alternatively, a wireless bridge can be used. Following the link I provided previously you should be able to easily and inexpensively configure your Win7 computer as a wireless bridge. Only downside vs. a standalone bridge is the computer would have to be on for your player to be able to connect.
post #5901 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

No, the player cannot make a network connection on the USB Port.

Thanks for that explanation...sometimes it takes a bit to get through to my grey matter

Quote:


Alternatively, a wireless bridge can be used. Following the link I provided previously you should be able to easily and inexpensively configure your Win7 computer as a wireless bridge. Only downside vs. a standalone bridge is the computer would have to be on for your player to be able to connect.

Think I might try the adapters...cost a bit less and look like they are a more easy alternative....

I have found a Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Wireless & WIFI Adapter for a good price...and the store is only around the corner from me...

Thanks for taking the time to provide the information.

cheers

col
post #5902 of 6383
I struggled with the CIFS and DLNA problem for months, and finally found a solution. It appears that there are several issues that contribute to preventing DLNA and CIFS from working properly. Unfortunately due to spamming this forum requires users to have made at least 3 posts before web links can be quoted in posts, so I'll have to post a couple more essentially junk messages before I can post the links to the solution. So here goes...
post #5903 of 6383
Part 2...more nothing
post #5904 of 6383
Part 3...yet more nothing
post #5905 of 6383
Part 4 - hopefully this will allow me to post the solution I found, which is here: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...ml#post1603096
post #5906 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeEnglishGuy View Post

so I'll have to post a couple more essentially junk messages before I can post the links to the solution. So here goes...

I posted a link in my first post...dunno about 5 posts....

cheers

col
post #5907 of 6383
My BD590 will not play the blu-ray Fast Five. It plays the 2 previews and then goes to HOME. I tried software update and 3 different FF disks.
post #5908 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeEnglishGuy View Post

Part 4 - hopefully this will allow me to post the solution I found, which is here: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...ml#post1603096

Thanks. I will try these when I get home. I find it strange that it works fine with the wireless but with the client bridge connected to it there is this problem.

I will post back after I try...
post #5909 of 6383
I dont have any Live programs installed other than Movie Maker and I am still unable to browse my shared folders (on W7...they arent password protected and I have set them to share with everyone).
I have the BD550 and purchased a Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Wireless Internet Adapter. I have been able to configure it by connecting it to my computer via the ethernet cable and it auto assigns an IP address but that is as far as I get with it...

cheers

col
post #5910 of 6383
Anyone having issues playing NETFLIX on their 570? I NEVER had an issue before but every movie I have seen has a 'stuttering' issue where the picture is 'choppy' and not 'smooth' as it should be. It looks like those progressive drawings one makes on paper and then flips thru the pages to 'animate' the picture.

There has been ONE change, but not sure why it would make a difference. My Denon AVR was sent in to be repaired so now the 570 is connected directly to the TV.

BDs are perfect, just Netflix has the issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread