or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 209

post #6241 of 6383
Has anyone tried accessing content via Samba/CIFS when the host PC is running Windows 8? I had it working fine with Windows 7. I've shared my Win8 folders and tried the numerous tricks found surfing around but I can't see the folders. I can see them from an XP PC I have.

One fix that I saw and I think this affected me with Win7 - uninstall Windows Live Assistant. I'm wondering if the Windows Live logins in WIn8 basically builds this into the OS and now there's no way to work around that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #6242 of 6383
Don't have a clue as to what the hell "Samba/CIFS" is, but I can use my 570 with Windows 8 and it works as it did on 7. Which isn't saying alot but point is, I have no problem getting folders off my laptop onto the 570. cool.gif
post #6243 of 6383
Hi,

LG once again succeeded in screwing me up. I mistakenly ventured into installing the latest firmware (BD8.31.8.362c) and now I no longer get clear A/V signal when I start / up / play my BD590. The screen either goes blank for long period of time or the screen is very snowy (like old analog tv without antenna signal).

Question:

I'd like to back out this lousy upgrade. Can someone please tell me the steps to back out or downgrade the firmware update? Will I need to reformat the drive to do it (i hope not!). Also, where do I get stable older firmware upgrade?

Thanks!
post #6244 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkt38238 View Post

Hi,
LG once again succeeded in screwing me up. I mistakenly ventured into installing the latest firmware (BD8.31.8.362c) and now I no longer get clear A/V signal when I start / up / play my BD590. The screen either goes blank for long period of time or the screen is very snowy (like old analog tv without antenna signal).
Question:
I'd like to back out this lousy upgrade. Can someone please tell me the steps to back out or downgrade the firmware update? Will I need to reformat the drive to do it (i hope not!). Also, where do I get stable older firmware upgrade?
Thanks!

I assume this is a US player, Here are the firmwares and Instructions:
http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#Firmware_Releases_-_Files_and_Release_Notes

Most likely you want the Firmware: Revision BD.8.31.323.C It seems to work the best for most.
http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#Revision_BD.8.31.323.C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_nedde View Post

Go to http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 Scroll down to "Firmware Releases - Files and Release Notes".
Note that many issues can be fixed by install Firmware version .323C, setting the 1080p Display Mode from 24Hz to 60Hz, and turning off BD Live.

Edited by Bryan_CoxPHX - 12/4/12 at 2:34am
post #6245 of 6383

Hi,

I have the same problem now.
May I ask you what you have done to fix this problem?
I updated firmware to the latest version (Oct 2012) for LG BD550 bluerayplayer. Problem isn't solved yet.
As soon as i select a subtitle with the device is freezing. I have to pull out the power plug to get it working again.


Hope to hear from you soon
Kind regards.
speedline
post #6246 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Don't have a clue as to what the hell "Samba/CIFS" is, but I can use my 570 with Windows 8 and it works as it did on 7. Which isn't saying alot but point is, I have no problem getting folders off my laptop onto the 570. cool.gif

Samba (SMB) / CIFS explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

Description of the problem and a solution that worked in Win7
http://tommynation.com/lg-home-link-cifs-problems-solved/

I suspect you can see the folders via the Windows Media sharing services. I can as well. But as you see in the excerpt from the link below, playback is limited. Accessing the media files using traditional Windows file sharing is the best way to go. So far I can't find a solution.

Note: The Windows Media Player sharing service is still accessible via Home Link even with Windows Live Sign-in Assistant installed, however in order to watch movies in certain formats or containers, such as MKV, it is necessary to be able to browse the shared folders on your computer to even see these files and their parent folders.
post #6247 of 6383
Hello! I get conflicting answers when searching the internet, but this forum looks very helpful, although searching the thread doesn't seem to get me an easy direct answer yet, so I will see if anyone is available to help.

I have a BD550. It has never been connected to the internet, so the software is BD.8.31.300.C H80230 (H08HIN)

I am just making sure that this player does not play video files from USB, because it seems like it does not. Photos and Music from USB, yes. Video from USB, no.

I have seen a few posts that say that you can, so I downloaded the latest firmware onto a USB drive, but the player does not see the file. Should I even worry about updating the firmware? The player works great for us right now as far as playing discs. If there is no way the BD550 will play video files through the USB port, I don't think I need to even mess with it.

It seems like the BD550 will only read video from a disc. Has anyone tried to play home videos burned to a data disc? If that works, do they need to be in a certain format to be recognized? Or will the BD550 only read a disc that has been burned to play like a normal dvd format?

Thanks for any insight. We've been happily playing movies on our player for a year now, and it didn't even occur to me until today that we might be able to do more with it, so here I am trying to find out if we can or can't.

~Camax
post #6248 of 6383
I have a BD590 with Firmware BD.8.31.323.C, and it will play MP4 video from a USB flashdrive. I had never tried it before, I will check a few other formats.

MPEG2, AVI and MKV also will play from a USB stick.

If you were to update the firmware BD.8.31.323.C is the one you want.
Instructions are here: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#Installing_Firmware

You want the following two files only on the USB and not in a folder.
LG_BD_5100B30.ROM-00
LG_BD_5100B30.ROM-01
Edited by Bryan_CoxPHX - 12/17/12 at 12:58am
post #6249 of 6383
Bryan, was your reply for me? Many thanks if so. I just have a BD550, so I don't know if updating the firmware (if I even can) will allow me to play video from a USB stick. What I downloaded from the LG site was "H08SAN.bin", which is a file my player doesn't see on the USB drive. I'm downloading the .rar from the link you posted, so I'll follow your instructions and see what the result is.

edit: the firmware update looks successful

The interface for a BD550 just doesn't allow for video from USB. Even the main menu says under "Movie" - Enjoy movies from Disc. Yes, the movie logo does come up when a USB drive is connected, however trying to choose the option just gets you a red not allowed sign.

I suppose I will have to burn a data disc to see if it can actually see mp4/avi/etc like you mention, but I think it'll play a normal or burned dvd disc if not.

Thanks for trying. I wondered if there was some magical way for this to work, but I don't think it is an intended feature for the 550 model.

~Camax
Edited by camax - 12/17/12 at 1:48am
post #6250 of 6383
I am new here, so sorry if this was posted before. 200+ pages are hard to track!

I have a BD550, which I bought in Europe. But now I am in other continent, and my tv signal comes in RCA cables (AV). I love my BD550, but it only records signals from digital antenna. I tried some converters, but it only accepted "channel 3 or 4". Has anyone used the recording function with something different than an originally antenna input?

Thank you for your attention, and sorry for my terrible english!
post #6251 of 6383
Your BD550 records? Never knew they can. Anyhow I am sure there is somewhere in the menu that you can setup.
post #6252 of 6383
I discovered this thread while doing Google searches for “problems with the LG BD550 Blue-ray Player”.

My BD550 (US version) is connected to a broadband internet service provider through a home network. The firmware (FW) has been kept up-to-date when new updates became available. After scanning through and reading a lot of the posts in this thread, I became convinced that my actions to keep the FW up-to-date was most likely the root cause of my problem with digital artifacts and freezes, particularly in longer movies. The problem seemed to get worse over time and I never connected that fact with the progression of FW updates.

The information in this thread of FW version BD.8.31.323.C performing with the least problems, and where to find it, was extremely helpful.

After reverting back to version 323.C, the problem with digital artifacts and freezes appear to be fixed. The following blue-ray movies (Insomnia; Battle of Britain; A Bridge Too Far; Flyboys) were played after the reversion back to version 323.C, and they played flawlessly. These four movies previously displayed severe digital artifacts and freezes.

Thanks for the help.
post #6253 of 6383
Yes, .323 is THEE FW to use. It is the best of all worlds. There may be 2 or 3 flicks that won't play but I figure it as if they don't play, I didn't need to see them anyway. wink.gif

But seriously, I have my 570 on .323 and haven't looked back and never an issue, Welcome to the darkside...we have COOKIES! cool.gif
post #6254 of 6383
We have had our bd572 for about a year (sw bd.8.31.323.c). We noticed that it has a big problem now with netflix. It goes to the netflix loading screen, spins its wheel for about a minute, then shuts itself off without any messages. I have checked its wifi connection and that reports as good, plus I tested it by playing youtube videos. After trying to play netflix several times I deactivated netflix, got a new activation code, reactivated it and tried to play again, with the same problem. I read somewhere of a person who had problems with their netflix instant que being too large at over 400 entries, my instant que is at around 60 or 70.
post #6255 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thought View Post

Samba (SMB) / CIFS explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
Description of the problem and a solution that worked in Win7
http://tommynation.com/lg-home-link-cifs-problems-solved/
I suspect you can see the folders via the Windows Media sharing services. I can as well. But as you see in the excerpt from the link below, playback is limited. Accessing the media files using traditional Windows file sharing is the best way to go. So far I can't find a solution.
Note: The Windows Media Player sharing service is still accessible via Home Link even with Windows Live Sign-in Assistant installed, however in order to watch movies in certain formats or containers, such as MKV, it is necessary to be able to browse the shared folders on your computer to even see these files and their parent folders.

I'm having the same issue, just upgraded my home PC to Windows 8, can see .avi files via Media sharing services, but cannot log into the PC to view all files (including .mkv). When I try to log into the PC via the LG BD570, I enter my username and the pass, but it dumps me back to the screen to select which computer to log into, and when I click on my PC, it again asks for my username and pass, only to dump me back to the same screen to select which computer to log into.

Tried creating a new Windows login that can see everything on the PC, still doesn't work on the LG BD570.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
post #6256 of 6383
Honestly, after going W8, I just bought a Roku2 XS. It does fine with W8. The 570, as much as I love it, is just outdated anymore. And I seriously doubt LG will update again for this and honestly...I wouldn't blame them at this stage of the players useful life.
post #6257 of 6383
Hey gang. I have read up on .323 and how to install it. Before I go down that road I wanted to bounce the symptoms off you.

Some BR's (specifically How To Train your Dragon and Remains Of the Day recently) seize up and skip with no audio. Any rewinding or fast forwarding makes the sound disappear. A power off/power on does not alleviate the problem, the unit has to sit for a bit. I am assuming I am dealing with a hardware issue, but wanted to seeifi anyone has had a similar situation.

Thanks!
post #6258 of 6383
My 570 play Dragon perfectly with .323... cool.gif
post #6259 of 6383
What version of Netflix does the BD550 have? My uncle is legally blind and can't use the menu on his new LG Blu-ray player but the Netflix on mine is way easier. I can't find a new BD550 anywhere but can find a new BD570 on amazon. Where can I get a new Blu-ray player with this Netflix layout?
post #6260 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriebird View Post

What version of Netflix does the BD550 have? My uncle is legally blind and can't use the menu on his new LG Blu-ray player but the Netflix on mine is way easier. I can't find a new BD550 anywhere but can find a new BD570 on amazon. Where can I get a new Blu-ray player with this Netflix layout?
What "Netflix layout"? If you want a 550 but can only find a 570, the 570 is a better unit completely.
post #6261 of 6383
I don't care at all about the unit, something as simple as having the option to move up down left right makes the LG BP620 that my uncle has completely useless, it's to complicated. If the 570 has the exact same menu across the board (as the 550) then i'll get one. He's brain injured and legally blind, navigating a menu is very difficult for him.
post #6262 of 6383
Never mind, I can't find the bd550/560/570 new anywhere. Theres only one for sale on amazon and the guy has a 63% feedback rating and i'm not gonna risk it. I'm just gonna have to try and talk my uncle into doing a direct swap with me. I feel bad giving him a used BD player for a new one but what good is a new BD player that he can't use. Would rather him have a used one that he can actually navigate.
post #6263 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriebird View Post

What version of Netflix does the BD550 have? My uncle is legally blind and can't use the menu on his new LG Blu-ray player but the Netflix on mine is way easier. I can't find a new BD550 anywhere but can find a new BD570 on amazon. Where can I get a new Blu-ray player with this Netflix layout?

Netflix has attempted to standardize the application across devices to some degree. Any new device will likely have the new interface you referred to or similar. The BD5xx players are nearly three years old and they didn't have an architecture that allowed app makers to update easily, that's why they still have the old interface.

Though it doesn't play discs, you might look into the Apple TV, which offers a simple remote and 'Voiceover' narration for visually impaired users that can be used for Netflix.
Edited by Vampidemic - 1/15/13 at 9:47pm
post #6264 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Netflix has attempted to standardize the application across devices to some degree. Any new device will likely have the new interface you referred to or similar. The BD5xx players are nearly three years old and they didn't have an architecture that allowed app makers to update easily, that's why they still have the old interface.

Though it doesn't play discs, you might look into the Apple TV, which offers a simple remote and 'Voiceover' narration for visually impaired users that can be used for Netflix.

Thanks I'll look into that down the road, He can still see to some degree but everything is difficult for him. I've tried to convince him to start using descriptive video services on BD and DVD, if he takes to that i'll see what he thinks about appleTV.
post #6265 of 6383
I see there is a new update for the BD 570. I wonder if it will fix the problem their previous firmware on my device? Namely the inability to play more than 7:15 of a DVD or blu-ray without a hard freeze requiring power down and reboot to watch the next 5 - 7 minutes of the same disc.
Well the update does not appear on LG's support site but the player keeps asking me if I want to update.

And BTW the instructions Bryan_CoxPHX posted above do not seem to work for "updating" my player back to firmware .323 or something that works. Anyone know if LG broke something about updating when they released FW 8.31.362.C the buggy firmware currently possessing my player? All I am able to get when I install the USB stick is an offer to install the FW and then 5 seconds later it says it is done and reboots. The firmware number stays the same and never goes to version 8.31.323.C All I was able to do was roll back the driver to H080602.


I "fixed" the update issue and now proudly run FW version .323 my error was my CD's and USB's had BOTH the driver and the firmware on it. in my case it only updated one of those two products in whatever order it was programmed to. After my driver updated and I removed that from my USB stick the FW loaded with no problems.

So it seems like only either the driver or the firmware at one time is the trick.
Edited by UtherPendragon - 1/21/13 at 7:46pm
post #6266 of 6383
Greetings all ...

My apologies if this topic has been covered, and thanks if you can point me in that direction. I've got a BD 590 that works nicely in all respects except for the home network.

I've owned the unit some years without problems. It plays DVDs and music CDs, the hard drive works nicely for storing music, it wirelessly streams Netflix perfectly, likewise plays YouTube videos perfectly, and so on. In just the last week, however, I have for the first time since owning it attempted to use the "home network" function in order to listen to music stored on my iMac.

Since the Nero disc that came with the BD 590 is for PCs only, I downloaded Plex to the iMac. No problem. Likewise no problem in that the BD 590 recognizes the Plex media server. Sure enough, there's my music, all seems well.

But then some number of tunes into the listening enjoyment, things inevitably go wrong.

For one (not sure about this), it seems the BD 590 goes entirely blank if the iMac goes into sleep mode. Alternatively, the music will just stop, and I'm given an error message by the BD 590; I forget exactly what it says ... something like "network congestion." Interestingly (or not?), when I go to the BD 590's list of media servers, it recognizes every dang wireless device in the house: two satellite receivers, one printer, and the iMac ... but it lists the iMac multiple times in the list of servers. What the heck??? Also, sometimes in that list of servers, Plex has disappeared though it had been there moments before.

Anyway, the good news is it's basically functioning. I have the feeling I've got settings all messed up but don't have a clue (that much is obvious, right?) how to proceed. Meantime, just for clarification, the Netflix streaming and connection to YouTube (those are the Netcast functions I use most) are perfectly fine.

Any thoughts? Mannnnnny thanks!!
post #6267 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovenorth View Post

Greetings all ...

My apologies if this topic has been covered, and thanks if you can point me in that direction. I've got a BD 590 that works nicely in all respects except for the home network.

I've owned the unit some years without problems. It plays DVDs and music CDs, the hard drive works nicely for storing music, it wirelessly streams Netflix perfectly, likewise plays YouTube videos perfectly, and so on. In just the last week, however, I have for the first time since owning it attempted to use the "home network" function in order to listen to music stored on my iMac.

Since the Nero disc that came with the BD 590 is for PCs only, I downloaded Plex to the iMac. No problem. Likewise no problem in that the BD 590 recognizes the Plex media server. Sure enough, there's my music, all seems well.

But then some number of tunes into the listening enjoyment, things inevitably go wrong.

For one (not sure about this), it seems the BD 590 goes entirely blank if the iMac goes into sleep mode. Alternatively, the music will just stop, and I'm given an error message by the BD 590; I forget exactly what it says ... something like "network congestion." Interestingly (or not?), when I go to the BD 590's list of media servers, it recognizes every dang wireless device in the house: two satellite receivers, one printer, and the iMac ... but it lists the iMac multiple times in the list of servers. What the heck??? Also, sometimes in that list of servers, Plex has disappeared though it had been there moments before.

Anyway, the good news is it's basically functioning. I have the feeling I've got settings all messed up but don't have a clue (that much is obvious, right?) how to proceed. Meantime, just for clarification, the Netflix streaming and connection to YouTube (those are the Netcast functions I use most) are perfectly fine.

Any thoughts? Mannnnnny thanks!!

Welcome to LG's buggy DLNA/local networking implementation. I've had all the problems you described and more. I don't believe it's likely you or your configuration. It's the player. I had a BD570 and a BD670, both had the same basic issues on a reliable wired network. I finally resolved the problem by replacing them both with Sony's.

The reason multiple icons appear is that the LG can use CIFS/SMB file sharing as well as supporting DLNA/UPnP servers. As a result you'll see one icon for the built in Mac OS sharing and then icons for any software shares as well.

Note that once the network error occurs (for me most any time I stopped playback to return to the file hierarchy) you can usually refresh the server list and start playing content again, but I don't know of a way to prevent the problem from happening.
post #6268 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbear View Post

I'm having the same issue, just upgraded my home PC to Windows 8, can see .avi files via Media sharing services, but cannot log into the PC to view all files (including .mkv). When I try to log into the PC via the LG BD570, I enter my username and the pass, but it dumps me back to the screen to select which computer to log into, and when I click on my PC, it again asks for my username and pass, only to dump me back to the same screen to select which computer to log into.

Tried creating a new Windows login that can see everything on the PC, still doesn't work on the LG BD570.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I did a few things that worked to get my BD390 and BD570 working...

First... Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy... From the list along the left, expand Local Policies, then select Security Options. In the Right pane, scroll down to "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and set it to Send LM & NTLM - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Next was follow tip from -> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1124111/bd370-390-lg-blu-ray-player-master-owners-thread/6360#post_19995263 and created a user for the BD players on my "server" as User: LGE_BDP with Password: LGE_BDP and granted it rights to my share. (the other user suggested, ROOT with no password, didn't work)
post #6269 of 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Honestly, after going W8, I just bought a Roku2 XS. It does fine with W8. The 570, as much as I love it, is just outdated anymore. And I seriously doubt LG will update again for this and honestly...I wouldn't blame them at this stage of the players useful life.
How do you like your Roku2 XS? can it play files from a windows share like the BD570 can, or do you have to use a DLNA server?
post #6270 of 6383
Vampidemic, thanks much for taking the time to reply! Responses like "It isn't you, it's the machine" usually make me feel at least a little better, but in this case I've got to keep trying to make it work.

Background info that I din't write previously (didn't want to muddy the issue with unnecessary detail): I'm about to get rid of the BD590. We've been overall happy with it some years, but it does not (as you may know) provide closed captions for Netflix streaming (big disappointment when I bought it). My wife is hard of hearing, getting deafer as time passes, and we stream Netflix a lot. Sooo ... I've got a BD670 on its way to our door. Not good to read you've had home network problems with that unit too!

Why the BD670? It's on Netflix's "this thing will caption" list. Also, it has component video outputs. Our "home theater" doesn't support HDMI. In a nutshell, the BD670 was therefore the best choice available. I've transferred no end of music that was stored on the BD590 hard drive to our desktop Mac in preparation for the BD670's arrival, and (as I've already written) started down the road of setting up the home network. Having music accessed by the blu-ray from the computer to the home theater is important to us, now that we'll have a blu-ray player (the BD670) with no hard drive.

Pecked away at the problem a little more last night. Looking around on the Internet, it seems an iMac with the newest operating system (Mountain Lion) going to sleep and losing home network connectivity is a common problem! This morning, I adjusted the Mac's settings to "don't go to sleep unless I tell you to do so," and so far so good. I've still got some file format troubles (the BD590 will play this format, not that format, this one, not that one) that I'm sorting through. A bit of a rat's nest!

Though I'm brand new to it, I like Plex. That stated, the user interface is confusing for me. Still working on it.

I remain interested in hearing from others who have faced iMac-Plex-LG BDxxx issues on a wireless home network!

As always, many thanks ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread