or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › the "help me choose an LCD" thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 82

post #2431 of 5142
Any suggestions/recommendations would be helpful.

I'm looking for
46/47"
Matte Screen
Internet Apps
Wifi
Low input lag (for gaming)
Best picture for the money
3d - don't care
Stylish (if possible not a huge deal)

Going to be mainly Netflix streaming, gaming (wii, maybe xbox), and some basic TV using rabbit ears.

Looking at:
LN46c650
Vizio XVT473SV

Wondering if the extra cost on the vizio would really be worth it to me. I'd have to get a USB wifi adapter for the LN46c650 so that would be a small issue maybe? I don't know how well those usually work. Friend has a c650 and I wasn't overly impressed although I doubt it was calibrated.

Any other Tv's I should consider? Which would you choose between these. Or should I wait and see what 2011 brings?
post #2432 of 5142
We just purchased the Vizio XVT473SV and other than a slight set up glitch that was remedied by updating at no cost to a HDTV box with HDMI output. (it also has RCA digital audio output that for the first time has made the Onkyo surround sound work as it should) This set so far (2 days) has a terrific HD picture and we are very happy with it!
It has given us a new respect for HD which before didn't seem to be a big deal!
post #2433 of 5142
Hey everyone,

Great site here. I've been planning to get an HDTV for what seems like forever, but finances have been an issue. Looking to make the plunge soon (finally!), and could use some help in selecting the right model. I'm located in Canada:

Budget
$500-$700
Hoping to keep it under $600 if possible (the 4 regular models mentioned below are currently around $550 at a Canadian Best Buy, the 3 120Hz models are around $699)

Seating distance
About 8-10 feet

Size/placement limitations
Bigger is better, but I think I'll be fine with a 40". Am mildly intrigued with the 42" (main reason I've included the LG). Would like to consider 46-47", but money is an issue and 40" seems large enough for now.

Uses & Sources
HD digital cable box with HD and standard channels.

Big sports fan, also will be used for gaming (Xbox 360) and watching a lot of movies, Netflix & dvd's.

Room lighting
Mostly used at night, I prefer keeping the surroundings dark although it will get a fair amount of usage with the lights on and during the day as well.

Other needs
Will eventually get a PS3. Currently need inputs for Xbox 360 and dvd player. I also have interest (down the road) in accessing my PC through the set once I learn more about how this works.

Also, don't currently have a proper audio system, although can hook up the tv to a stereo. Any major differences between the sound provided through these sets?

I am strongly leaning towards the Sony Bravia, but wanted to seek some advice here on other models so that I don't discount a potentially superior television due to name recognition. Doesn't seem like low-end LED will be worth the added cost so will probably go LCD. Reading some info here and on a couple of other sites has me re-thinking my position of LCD over Plasma a little bit, but for now I'm leaning LCD.

Really hoping to avoid blurring and pixelation as much as possible.

Looking at these models at Best Buy, which is where I will likely make the purchase, but I would consider other models / stores as well.

- Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p LCD HDTV** (KDL40EX400)
- Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (KDL40EX500)
- LG 42" 1080p LCD HDTV (42LD450)
- LG 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (42LD520)
- Toshiba 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (40G300U)
- Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV (LN40C530)
- Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (LN40C610)

As mentioned, am leaning towards the Sony Bravia. The second one listed is currently $110 more. Should I be considering that one based on my needs, or will the cheaper one suffice?
post #2434 of 5142
The Vizio SV320XVT is on sale at a certain website today and I'm thinking of getting this for a secondary TV that gets used sparingly in the office. What are some thoughts on this brand/model?
post #2435 of 5142
I created a separate thread for this topic, but thus far haven't received any bites, so I thought I would try here.

It has been a while since I have brushed up on my LCD/Plasma televisions and am looking for a little help. I need to spec out a TV which will be used as a display in a conference room. The room is somewhat narrow, so I'm not overly concerned about viewing angles. There will be windows all along one side of the room, so I imagine I am looking for something with a matte finish. We need to purchase something in the next 4-6 weeks.

Specs:
60" to 65" diagonal 16:9 ratio
4 hdmi inputs
1 vga input
1 stereo audio input
Good internal speakers
1 coax input for an OTA antenna
3D capability is not necessary

Network connectivity - it would be great if there were a news/Bloomberg News feed or app which could run directly on the display.

Budget around ~$2k. Please let me know if you can think of something that might fit the bill.

Thank you in advance for your help.
post #2436 of 5142
Looking for suggestions on a 55" LCD/LED TV.

Most Important:
Wide viewing angle
Good picture quality

Would like to have:
Slim design

Could care less about:
3D
Net Apps
Lots of inputs

I've been eyeing the new 2011 Samsungs (D7000 specifically), but I haven't bought a TV in about 5 years and I'm not sure how the quality of Samsung is these days. I've been reading about lots of issues with build quality.

Please reply via PM as I'm sure this thread gets TONS responses every day.
post #2437 of 5142
Which LCD should I buy? the Sony Bravia KDL-32ex400 or the Samsung LE32C530? I game and watch blu-ray. Thanks
post #2438 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post
Any suggestions/recommendations would be helpful.

I'm looking for
46/47"
Matte Screen
Internet Apps
Wifi
Low input lag (for gaming)
Best picture for the money
3d - don't care
Stylish (if possible not a huge deal)

Going to be mainly Netflix streaming, gaming (wii, maybe xbox), and some basic TV using rabbit ears.

Looking at:
LN46c650
Vizio XVT473SV

Wondering if the extra cost on the vizio would really be worth it to me. I'd have to get a USB wifi adapter for the LN46c650 so that would be a small issue maybe? I don't know how well those usually work. Friend has a c650 and I wasn't overly impressed although I doubt it was calibrated.

Any other Tv's I should consider? Which would you choose between these. Or should I wait and see what 2011 brings?
you can't have C650 and low input lag in the same sentence. So that pretty much eliminate that TV from your short list of choices. I do not know enough about Vizio's tv to comment on them.
post #2439 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by waruma View Post
Hello!

Looking to buy in a few weeks.
Budget $2000
size 55"
LCD/and or LED
240hz
distance about 12 feet.
Room light not an issue


Uses: I'll mainly be gaming on XBOX, PS3, Wii and watching movies/tv content directly from my computer
(I'm not a FP shooter person, but love rhythm games so a TV without lag is an very important)
I was about to pull the trigger on the Sammy UN55C8000 but then got spooked with all the lag input warnings.


Any suggestions for a top end 55 inch gaming TV?
Heard the LG - 55LE8500 or Sony KDL55NX810 might be an alternative. Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance EV!

W
if input lag is important, Panasonic's plasma, like the G25 can be had very cheap.

If you prefer LCD/LED, the LE8500 is a good choice although it might start to be hard to find them. Sharp's is one of the manufacturer with TV with the lowest input lag in game mode. Many people praised them for sensitive games like Guitar hero and rockband with no input lag. Quattron models have been tested and reported with excellent low input lag on this forum.
post #2440 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsurugi89 View Post
Which LCD should I buy? the Sony Bravia KDL-32ex400 or the Samsung LE32C530? I game and watch blu-ray. Thanks
I believe both are really comparable in all aspect. It may come down to personal choice.
post #2441 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBot View Post
Good morning everyone,

I've been lurking around here the past couple of weeks, reading about different topics and TVs. I've learned some things, but I'm stuck like many others on making a final decision on which TV to get.

Netflix is streamed through PS3 or PC, so internet connectivity isn't necessary; I'd much rather spend money on a larger screen. Also, I would prefer an IPS panel, so please take that into consideration.

TVs I've been looking at are the 42" LG LD520 and 42" Panasonic TC-L42U22. I'd really appreciate other recommendations though!

Looking For:
Budget: ~$800
Size: 42" to 46"
Seating Distance: ~10' to 12'
Uses: Netflix and PS3/PC gaming
Lighting: Window perpendicular to TV, but I don't think it will be an issue

Thank you all
Well if you really narrow your choices to an IPS pannel tv, LG and panasonic are about your only answer. If you are a bit more open, Sharp's tv with it's U2VA panel isn't bad either. You could look into a 40LE810/46LE810, they have low input lag and make great gaming TV. The 810 as somewhat of a "matte" screen so it may help with the window.
post #2442 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle village View Post

I've been very intrigued by the Vizio XVT553SV, but it seems that it doesn't handle 24P correctly. What else is out there that would work with the above?
We just purchased the Vizio XVT473SV yesterday At Costco and when setting it up realized there was no input selection on drop down menu for coax cable?(HDMI, AV, etc) Called tech service and they got around it but now it's connect as if it has no cable box and just plugged in to wall cable? Cable box has no HDMI output port, just A/V & coax?

From my understanding, a firmware upgrade fixed the 24p issues, but I've not been able to find a definitive source on that yet.
post #2443 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsurugi89 View Post

Which LCD should I buy? the Sony Bravia KDL-32ex400 or the Samsung LE32C530? I game and watch blu-ray. Thanks

Samsung.
post #2444 of 5142

I'm ****ing tired of all this ********. Everyone says negative things about every tv, except their own. So it's kinda hard to make a decision based upon purely opinionated responses with some detail about the set (model specifications). So... each time I think I'd found a good tv, IT GETS TRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for saying that in such a rude way, but I cannot think of another way to express it.

Anyways, I'm looking for a gaming tv!
1. Budget: ~1k pref lower
2. Seating distance: 10-15 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: ~42"
4. Uses/Sources: From the research I've found, I want a plasma with 1080p or 1080i(can't figure out which one is better for gaming), a few HDMI ports, the ability to connect my laptop to it, low input lag, decent PQ, 120, and any other thing you can think of that would be for a gaming tv. I play Xbox360, and old gen systems. I do not need/want wifi or 3d or any other thing that jumps up the price of the set that is not needed for a gaming tv. Some dvds will be watched, however; television programs will not as each time I watch commercials they get stuck in me head.
5. Room lighting: not much of an issue, the rooms about as bright as a 50 watt lightbulb.


The tv's I have been looking at are the Panasonic TC-L42U22, and some sharp tvs. I think the TC-L42U22 isn't plasma though, I would prefer one of them as they are supposedly much better for gaming tvs as their input lag is far lower,
I can't stand much input lag. Any recommendations would be nice so that I can enlarge the options of tvs, cus tryin ta find somethin is hard if ya dun kno tha places to look, took me a while to find this amazing site(so much information!) Thanks for reading, and again I am sorry for the tone of this post.
post #2445 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleS_ View Post


I'm ****ing tired of all this ********. Everyone says negative things about every tv, except their own. So it's kinda hard to make a decision based upon purely opinionated responses with some detail about the set (model specifications). So... each time I think I'd found a good tv, IT GETS TRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for saying that in such a rude way, but I cannot think of another way to express it.

Anyways, I'm looking for a gaming tv!
1. Budget: ~1k pref lower
2. Seating distance: 10-15 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: ~42"
4. Uses/Sources: From the research I've found, I want a plasma with 1080p or 1080i(can't figure out which one is better for gaming), a few HDMI ports, the ability to connect my laptop to it, low input lag, decent PQ, 120, and any other thing you can think of that would be for a gaming tv. I play Xbox360, and old gen systems. I do not need/want wifi or 3d or any other thing that jumps up the price of the set that is not needed for a gaming tv. Some dvds will be watched, however; television programs will not as each time I watch commercials they get stuck in me head.
5. Room lighting: not much of an issue, the rooms about as bright as a 50 watt lightbulb.


The tv's I have been looking at are the Panasonic TC-L42U22, and some sharp tvs. I think the TC-L42U22 isn't plasma though, I would prefer one of them as they are supposedly much better for gaming tvs as their input lag is far lower,
I can't stand much input lag. Any recommendations would be nice so that I can enlarge the options of tvs, cus tryin ta find somethin is hard if ya dun kno tha places to look, took me a while to find this amazing site(so much information!) Thanks for reading, and again I am sorry for the tone of this post.

for gaming, I think you are pretty safe with either Sharp and Panasonic. As for specific models, I don't know the U22 much but I saw it in store and it looked nice. If you want a plasma, the G20-25 is an amazing TV, no 3D so you save some $$$ I do believe Panasonic has a 40" or 42" G25.
post #2446 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by apicia View Post

Which LCD should I buy? the Sony Bravia KDL-32ex400 or the Samsung LE32C530? I game and watch blu-ray. Thanks

Samsung.

Because of gaming? I can only speak about picture...I find both very good, but I give the nod to the Sony.
post #2447 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post

Friend has a c650 and I wasn't overly impressed although I doubt it was calibrated.

Interesting, I find the C650 can hold its own at twice the price point. It's reflective screen can be an issue though.
post #2448 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

for gaming, I think you are pretty safe with either Sharp and Panasonic. As for specific models, I don't know the U22 much but I saw it in store and it looked nice. If you want a plasma, the G20-25 is an amazing TV, no 3D so you save some $$$ I do believe Panasonic has a 40" or 42" G25.

The g20 and the g25 both have internal wifi capabilities. I don't need that.. otherwise they sound like great models to me. I'm hoping that I could save a little bit more $ without the internet built into it cus I do have a laptop. They got 42 46 50, etc. mainly in incriments of 4. Thanks for your input, found 2 great maybe models!

What's the difference between the g20 and g25? I can't find any.
How about the U22 and U25 models?

And, any sharp models you would like to recommend I would be open to.
post #2449 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post

- Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p LCD HDTV** (KDL40EX400)
- Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (KDL40EX500)
- LG 42" 1080p LCD HDTV (42LD450)
- LG 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (42LD520)
- Toshiba 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (40G300U)
- Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV (LN40C530)
- Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (LN40C610)

As mentioned, am leaning towards the Sony Bravia. The second one listed is currently $110 more. Should I be considering that one based on my needs, or will the cheaper one suffice?

Best picture for the price...Sony KDL-40EX400. The EX500 gives you 120hz and you can read about that by searching for 60hz vs 120hz. (FWIW, I am in the "it ain't worth the extra price" camp.) I also like the Sony over the Samsung LN40C530, I personally even like it better than the LN40C610, but that would be a toss-up for most people. The LG's black level isn't even in the same class, and the Toshiba's shadow detail and color accuracy are inferior.
post #2450 of 5142
Budget: Around $1,500
Seating distance: 10-15ft
Size/placement limitations: It will be wall mounted, looking for a 55in. 1080p LCD it can be LED backlit.
Uses and sources: Sources will be blu-ray/games from the PS3 and HD programming from cable box, will also be streaming netflix from the PS3.
Room lighting: 3 normal sized windows in the room, movie viewing will be done at night with bias lighting, but most of the viewing will be durring the day in fairly bright light.

My main concern is input lag. I have tried to look at the input lag threads and haven't found any solid suggestions in the 55" size. I want to be able to reliably game on it.
post #2451 of 5142
Hi, Costco has a deal going until 2/27 for the following: Sony 40-inch NX711 LED edge-lit LCD ( 3D capable, with 2 pairs of glasses & 3D transmitter included, also internet/wifi capable) plus a BDP -BX57 wifi capable 3D BD player for $999.99

I know the BD player is the same as Sony's 570, but I can't find much info on the tv. Do you guys think this is a good deal?
post #2452 of 5142
Thanks for the responses on the samsung vs sony post I decided to go with sony but now a day before buying the tv a new contender has arrived... now its down to Vizio m320nv and sony kdl - ex400. I dont know whether to take the leap into led or just stick to lcd? :\\
post #2453 of 5142
Great forum!

I'm looking for (3) 46" LED / LCD TVs for a driving simulator (check the third video down). The screens will move with the seat so durability and light weight screens with low lag (good gaming performance) is important to me. I would also prefer a small edge if possible.

LCD / LED
46"
high performance gaming
3 foot viewing distance
budget is not a big concern


Thanks in advance!
post #2454 of 5142
Brought a Samsung LE32C530 earlier this week but am not happy with the viewing angles so hope to take it back and exchange it because of this problem.

An LCD TV is what I'm looking at too.

1. Budget
Spent £350 on it so something around this would be best but can go abit higher.

2. Seating distance
About 4 feet from the TV, it's going into a small room.

3. Size/placement limitations
32 inch is perfect for the room

4. Uses and sources
Watch TV, play video games and watch Blu-Ray movies
Full HD preferable

5. Room lighting
Dark

I would also like for the TV to be viewed from various angles without any problems with the brightness and color darkening.

I got my LE32C530 from Curry's so it would have to be something from their store.
post #2455 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpg View Post

Hi, Costco has a deal going until 2/27 for the following: Sony 40-inch NX711 LED edge-lit LCD ( 3D capable, with 2 pairs of glasses & 3D transmitter included, also internet/wifi capable) plus a BDP -BX57 wifi capable 3D BD player for $999.99

I know the BD player is the same as Sony's 570, but I can't find much info on the tv. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Is that an in store deal only? I may just bite on that.
post #2456 of 5142
Is it worth it to pay the extra to get 120 hz on a 32 inch lcd? Side note: i have never personally seen a 32 inch lcd with 120hz, but I'm curious if it exists and if it is worth it?
post #2457 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedNut View Post
Is that an in store deal only? I may just bite on that.
In store only AFAIK. The deal ends on 2/27. BTW, I took the plunge today and the tv picture is great.
post #2458 of 5142
Guys,

My eyes are bugging out from reading these posts. I have learned a lot, but do not know what to do with what I know.
Why IPS panel over VA or UV2A panel...back lighting edge lighting, local dimming, clouds, flash lighting...I wish I really understood all of this.

I have a $2400 budget, but that does not mean I need to spend it all. I am 9 feet from my display, and I am looking for a 60 in. display..LCD or LED as I sometimes get glare from the sun on the display and I was told that plasma would not work for me in this case.

I have been partial to Sony (changing out a 40XBR/2..bought too small), but Samsung I hear is also good.

I narrowed it down to the Sony 60EX700, but when I went on this forum and another, the owners had so many complaints...this thread seems to like the EX500, and that is $1000 less than the EX700.

I looked up the differences but they do not seem to warrant $1000 to me. Any help on that?

Suggestions would be helpful because my head is spinning. I want a display with great PQ to watch cable TV and B-ray movies.

It shouldn't be that difficult, should it
post #2459 of 5142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore View Post

It shouldn't be that difficult, should it.

Forget about the buzzwords, they buy you almost nothing. Black level is most important and the EX500 actually has deeper blacks than some more expensive Sonys.
post #2460 of 5142
Hi everyone. I've been lurking about for a couple months, finally decided to join.

My budget is $2,000
46-52 desired
Extensive Xbox 360 gaming, ESPN/CNBC watching. Will get PS3 for Blu-rays.
Ambient light is pretty high during the day. My current HP-LC3760N (matte, 60 Hz, 720p) is watchable on a sunny day if I'm watching a bright image (basketball court), but I know to wait until dusk to watch a program with darker images.

I haven't seen one LED-lit model in my price range that performs well for gamers in bright rooms. The 2 plasmas I like, Samsung C8000 & Panasonic VT25, still make me wonder about burn-in and the effectiveness of the anti-glare glass panels vs. my current matte panel. The LG LD550 (CCFL LCD) is on the list as well, and that looks like the safest move to make. I will keep reading through the thread, but I would love some advice. I don't really need a new TV, I just want a bigger one. However, I don't want it to perform worse than my current TV in any category.

Seems like your options are limited unless you watch only Blu-rays in a pitch-black cave. Waddup wit that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › the "help me choose an LCD" thread