or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 3944
Again, NO ANSWERS to my question. What are the widgets, and what do they offer?

I know HULU is out of the question at the moment. But what are the sources of streaming do they(Sony) offer? They say 25, and what are they?
post #122 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

What I meant to say was, Does anyone have issues with rewinding DVD's? My current S350 doesn't have this problem and neither should the S570.

So am I still the only one with issues with DVD playback? eg Rewinding dvds. Played another DVD tonight and about every ~25 mins the dvd went black (no video but sound) for about 3-4 seconds then would come back on. WTF?

I've only had the player for like 3 weeks and it has been on maybe 5 times.
post #123 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple3fast View Post

So am I still the only one with issues with DVD playback? eg Rewinding dvds. Played another DVD tonight and about every ~25 mins the dvd went black (no video but sound) for about 3-4 seconds then would come back on. WTF?

I've only had the player for like 3 weeks and it has been on maybe 5 times.

All I can say is that I had no issues with 4 or 5 DVDs that I played so far.
post #124 of 3944
I have had HORRIBLE luck with Blu Ray Players.

My first was the Samsung BDP-1200. It played most of my blu ray discs, however, it had alot of freeze issues at various times during playback and took several minutes to load a blu ray disc.

My second was the Sony BDP-300. It worked decent for the first month or so, but then refused to play any standard DVD, but plays any Blu Ray I've put into it. This unit also took several minutes to load a DVD or a blu ray.

Anyway, I am considering the new Sony BDP-S570 as my next major purchase. Has anyone had blu ray or DVD playback issues on the S570? How are the load times?

What is the most "trouble free" Blu Ray player on the market right now?
post #125 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudebenjamin View Post

Anyway, I am considering the new Sony BDP-S570 as my next major purchase. Has anyone had blu ray or DVD playback issues on the S570? How are the load times?

I am a new owner of a BDP-S570, having decided to purchase a BD and have it home, and setup, in advance of the April release of Avatar.

I have played the same BR movie (National Treasure) twice , and one SD-DVD. The load time on National Treasure was certainly acceptable, though I did not time it.... seemed quick enough. The upconversion of the SD-DVD seemed at least equal to my previous Toshiba upconverting DVD player.

In addition the wireless connection appears fine, I had no problem connecting to my G network even though I filter by mac addy and do not broadcast. It seems pretty reliable, and I've streamed a few Youtube vids and watched a few trailers.

My audio is DD 5.1 via optical. I also believe it sounds better than SD-DVD, probably just an effect of less compression.

JWhite
post #126 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudebenjamin View Post

What is the most "trouble free" Blu Ray player on the market right now?

From everything that I have heard and read (I have a Sony BDP-S350 and the S570), Sony is #1 for trouble free and Panasonic is #2. Samsung players seem to be plagued the most LG isn't too far behind. If there is ever an issue, Sony seems to release a firmware upgrade pretty quickly to resolve the issue. Samsung and LG seem to be behind in this regard. Anyone please feel free to add to (or dispute) this.
post #127 of 3944
the sony bluray s370 worked fine, but the netflix was choppy/jumpy.. that was not much fun. I would stay away from insignia bluray player.. they have more problems.
I guess a panasonic or the oppo.
Jacob
post #128 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

From everything that I have heard and read (I have a Sony BDP-S350 and the S570), Sony is #1 for trouble free and Panasonic is #2. Samsung players seem to be plagued the most LG isn't too far behind. If there is ever an issue, Sony seems to release a firmware upgrade pretty quickly to resolve the issue. Samsung and LG seem to be behind in this regard. Anyone please feel free to add to (or dispute) this.


Sony 350 still going strong, I don't mind the boot-up time. I always take a piss before the movie starts anyway.
post #129 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Sony 350 still going strong, I don't mind the boot-up time. I always take a piss before the movie starts anyway.

When I replaced my S350, it was still going strong, I just wanted a new BD player and to stream from Netflix. I wanted to stop using my Xbox 360 for that.
post #130 of 3944
if you want netflix.. try roku or ps3..

Jacob
post #131 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

if you want netflix.. try roku or ps3..

Jacob

I wanted a new BD player as well, it wasn't about Netflix alone. The 350 doesn't decode DTS-HDMA and the PS3 is not an option. I have had one and I don't want another one.
I have noticed that the sound is better with the S570 over the S350. Why, I don't know, but I know that I hear more.
post #132 of 3944
good luck with a search for the perfect netflix with the bluray player. I am afraid you going to be a bit dispointed. that is why I recommended the roku and the ps3.

Jacob
post #133 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

good luck with a search for the perfect netflix with the bluray player. I am afraid you going to be a bit dispointed. that is why I recommended the roku and the ps3.

Jacob

I never had any problem with Netflix and the S570. I always had the best possible quality (best speed) and if it's not better is because Netflix is nowhere near bluray quality. I think you have a specific problem, not a generic SX70 one.
post #134 of 3944
I was not talking about how netflix could be bluray PQ.. just saying the netflix on the players were weak.. they had a problem of one thing or another.

Jacob
post #135 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Again, NO ANSWERS to my question. What are the widgets, and what do they offer?

I know HULU is out of the question at the moment. But what are the sources of streaming do they(Sony) offer? They say 25, and what are they?

HULU is out? What are folks using for current TV?

Come on folks, a little help with these two questions?
post #136 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ View Post

HULU is out? What are folks using for current TV?

Come on folks, a little help with these two questions?

For starters (not in front of my setup right now):
  • Netflix
  • Amazon On Demand
  • Slacker Radio
  • NPR
  • Pandora (coming soon)
  • Michael Jackson channel
  • YouTube
post #137 of 3944
Music

Slacker
National Public Radio

Video

Search Internet Video
Qriocity
Michael Jackson
Amazon Video on Demand
Netflix
YouTube
blip.tv
Cackle
FEAR.net
Wired
Epicurious.com
Concierge.com
Style.com
Digital Cinema Concert Series
MyPlay Music Network
Inside Sony Pictures
FordModels
Dailymotion
Howcast.com
ON Networks
GolfLink.com
LiveStrong.com
eHow.com
Video Detective
SingingFool
Podcasts
Videocast.com

Since I only use Netflix and have found other streaming services worthless in the past I can't comment on any of the others. I have streamed three seasons of Weeds without any issues. My bandwidth is too small to speak for the quality of the feed but I have had zero pauses, freezes, etc.
post #138 of 3944
I found it disappointing and laughable that the screensaver consists of a BluRay emblem that changes to one of 3 or 4 different screen positions. Don't leave your plasma unattended I guess. (I upgraded to firmware v315 before using it).

SD upconversion is similar if not better than my Toshiba HD-A3. Disc load speed is awsome (the HD-A3 was never acceptable). I do have some issues with my HK AVR247 picking up on the desired sound format with BluRay discs over HDMI. I think it's time to upgrade the 247 as this problem seems to happen with my U-Verse cable box also (any suggestions for replacements?).

I've watched NetFlix streaming HD and SD with respectable results. HD is a bit choppy at times - but watchable. The pilot episode of the original Incredible Hulk series has never before looked so Barbara Walters interview-ish (oh so hazy!). It locked up once when my NetFlix signal dropped out - not a big deal. It's annoying when I eject or insert a disc while watching NetFlix as it stops streaming and goes to the home screen.

Wireless performance is good.
post #139 of 3944
hello,

Can any please tell me where i can get the ORIGINAL manual to the BDP-S570?

If you have it i'd be willing to buy it from you.

Thanks
post #140 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPappu View Post

hello,

Can any please tell me where i can get the ORIGINAL manual to the BDP-S570?

If you have it i'd be willing to buy it from you.

Thanks

You know you can get it online, don't you ?



http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-186300.pdf
post #141 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Music

Slacker
National Public Radio

Video

Search Internet Video
Qriocity
Michael Jackson
Amazon Video on Demand
Netflix
YouTube
blip.tv
Cackle
FEAR.net
Wired
Epicurious.com
Concierge.com
Style.com
Digital Cinema Concert Series
MyPlay Music Network
Inside Sony Pictures
FordModels
Dailymotion
Howcast.com
ON Networks
GolfLink.com
LiveStrong.com
eHow.com
Video Detective
SingingFool
Podcasts
Videocast.com

Since I only use Netflix and have found other streaming services worthless in the past I can't comment on any of the others. I have streamed three seasons of Weeds without any issues. My bandwidth is too small to speak for the quality of the feed but I have had zero pauses, freezes, etc.

Thank you very much Charles. This was the info I was looking for.
post #142 of 3944
I went with the Sony BDPS570. I just ordered it online at a price I couldn't pass up. It seemed to be the best at Blu ray, built in WiFi, Streaming (Netflix), and price.

Thanks to all that helped me decide!
post #143 of 3944
Hello,

I'm considering to purchase the Sony player and I was wondering whether any of you has good experience with netflix HD streaming.

Also, does anyone know whether Sony is planning to intruduce an ES version of BR player with netflix capability?

Thank you
post #144 of 3944
My netflix streaming is spotty. One movie will be flawless, another movie will be so choppy it's unwatchable. I don't know what the culprit is, but it's not my connection (12 down with a wireless N network at 95%).
post #145 of 3944
I have read all the posts on this forum so far, and it's been very informative.

My main issue with the S570 is whether it can handle .mkv, .mp4 and .avi (DivX) formats. There was one poster who claims to have brought in a USB stick into a store and got at least some of these formats to work. But others claim they do not. Is there a definitive answer to this question (by actually trying files, not just quoting the manual)? What formats have people been able to get working?

Also, if the files can't be played off a USB stick, when the DLNA firmware update is finally released in July, will I be able to stream these formats from my Mac (using MediaLink or an equivalent) to the S570?

thanks in advance
post #146 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfelgar View Post

I have read all the posts on this forum so far, and it's been very informative.

My main issue with the S570 is whether it can handle .mkv, .mp4 and .avi (DivX) formats. There was one poster who claims to have brought in a USB stick into a store and got at least some of these formats to work. But others claim they do not. Is there a definitive answer to this question (by actually trying files, not just quoting the manual)? What formats have people been able to get working?

Also, if the files can't be played off a USB stick, when the DLNA firmware update is finally released in July, will I be able to stream these formats from my Mac (using MediaLink or an equivalent) to the S570?

thanks in advance

Read the 1st post, I did some tests with a pendrive. Nobody knows how the DLNA will be implemented and which formats and OS will work with. MKV was recognized but there is a lot of pixelation on the picture and it's unwatchable. The AVI was not even recognized and I don't remember if I tested any mp4. I would say it's completely useless the way it is now and when the HDD support comes up I'm afraid it will only be for FAT32 files.
post #147 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfelgar View Post

I have read all the posts on this forum so far, and it's been very informative.

My main issue with the S570 is whether it can handle .mkv, .mp4 and .avi (DivX) formats. There was one poster who claims to have brought in a USB stick into a store and got at least some of these formats to work. But others claim they do not. Is there a definitive answer to this question (by actually trying files, not just quoting the manual)? What formats have people been able to get working?

Also, if the files can't be played off a USB stick, when the DLNA firmware update is finally released in July, will I be able to stream these formats from my Mac (using MediaLink or an equivalent) to the S570?

thanks in advance

There is no definative answer for this question for any Blu-Ray Player. It is likely to be hit-or-miss for at least several more years until players adopt common components and content providers adopt more standard codecs and containers.

fafner
post #148 of 3944
FYI: I always thought Netflix looked bad on the BDP-S570 compared to the PS3 and I just confirmed it. I watched the same movie on both and the S570 looked like YouTube and the PS3 like SD... the PS3 is so much better it's worthwhile streaming stuff which is pretty much worthless on the S570. Now I have very little bandwidth (1.5Mbps) so I'm not sure how it performs at faster speeds. Anyway I ended up returning the S570.

Update: Just figured out why the S570 looks noticeable worse. It uses only roughly one-third of the available download speed where the PS3 uses what's available.
post #149 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

FYI: I always thought Netflix looked bad on the BDP-S570 compared to the PS3 and I just confirmed it. I watched the same movie on both and the S570 looked like YouTube and the PS3 like SD... the PS3 is so much better it's worthwhile streaming stuff which is pretty much worthless on the S570. Now I have very little bandwidth (1.5Mbps) so I'm not sure how it performs at faster speeds. Anyway I ended up returning the S570.

Update: Just figured out why the S570 looks noticeable worse. It uses only roughly one-third of the available download speed where the PS3 uses what's available.

So with 25Mbps/25Mbps I should be OK.
post #150 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

So with 25Mbps/25Mbps I should be OK.

In theory. I'd be interested to see if the 1/3 stays in affect as the available bandwidth increases. Cnet's review complains of poor Netflix streaming and I imagine they have a decent amount free.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread