or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

I tried the sony on the panasonic TV today just to see how it looked, and I noticed when I'd turn off the sony player the panasonic displays a message saying an error has occurred and has been recovered. This doesn't happen with the sony connected to the sony tv, nor with the panasonic connected to the panasonic tv. Does anyone know if the sony s570 has HDMI bugs that send bad signals to the TV? this is what it appears to me. And it depends on the tv how it responds it seems.

I have the sony player and a panasonic tv. I didn't see any error messages when I turned off the player; however, I have HDMI connection through my A/V receiver not directly to the tv. Not sure if that makes a difference.
post #1472 of 3944
Anyone with inside information what "Music Unlimited" will be like? I never heard of it before. Someone using it care to enlighten us?
post #1473 of 3944
This player is on sale at Best Buy for $199.99, good deal?
post #1474 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

This player is on sale at Best Buy for $199.99, good deal?

Walmart has it for $198 so you can save $1 but it's about the same price. Yes it's a great deal, the unit usually sells for $250.
post #1475 of 3944
Today, I attempted to watch an .mp4 video via the flash drive port on the front of the unit. The audio played fine, but the video itself won't display. I tried several files, and all produced the same result.

Anyone else have this issue? I was looking forward to viewing home videos on the unit using this method.
post #1476 of 3944
Any comparisom to the imfamous OPPO?
post #1477 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Any comparisom to the imfamous OPPO?

Nahhh, the "infamous" Oppo is being replaced by an even better model next month.
post #1478 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty5150 View Post

Today, I attempted to watch an .mp4 video via the flash drive port on the front of the unit. The audio played fine, but the video itself won't display. I tried several files, and all produced the same result.

Anyone else have this issue? I was looking forward to viewing home videos on the unit using this method.

It sounds like like your files have bead headers. I had one of apple's kelynote even files do that for me once .m4v I used a program called:"MPEG StreamClip" to fix the problem. If you're on windows then maybe someone else can recommend software that does the same thing. Basically what happens is, the codecs are fine, but depending on how the file was created, sometimes they're slightly out of spec, e.g. file headers certain flags aren't set, or aren't set correctly. Re saving them with a program like I mentioned fixes the problem. Also note, that such files don't always break on every player, e.g. they might work fine on the computer or ipod or other video player, but devices like the br player may catch the glitch and trip up. Using a program like suggested and taking these steps simply ensures a file thats created to mpeg 4 standards. Try going to www.revision3.com/hdnation download one of their episodes, they are 720p mp4 files that use the AVC and AAC video/audio codecs and this player plays them just fine. This will ensure it's your files and not your player, if their files play.
post #1479 of 3944
Is anybody happy with the bdp-s570? Everyone here seems to be posting only negatives. I need a player that can wirelessly stream netflix and a player that won't hang or freeze up while starting up or playing a disc.

Just an observation, you can compare this player to an Oppo but thiis player lacks analog outs. "Secrets of Hme Theater" really liked this player, that's all I need to hear.

I shoulkd have bought the S-570 originally.
post #1480 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Is anybody happy with the bdp-s570? Everyone here seems to be posting only negatives. I need a player that can wirelessly stream netflix and a player that won't hang or freeze up while starting up or playing a disc.

Just an observation, you can compare this player to an Oppo but thiis player lacks analog outs. "Secrets of Hme Theater" really liked this player, that's all I need to hear.

I shoulkd have bought the S-570 originally.

Well it's a forum... generaly a Forum is used to post Information or complain about a product/software/location.
post #1481 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Is anybody happy with the bdp-s570? Everyone here seems to be posting only negatives. I need a player that can wirelessly stream netflix and a player that won't hang or freeze up while starting up or playing a disc.

Just an observation, you can compare this player to an Oppo but thiis player lacks analog outs. "Secrets of Hme Theater" really liked this player, that's all I need to hear.

I shoulkd have bought the S-570 originally.

Put me in the positive column. I had an S360 and went to the S570 for networking and SACD. My internet connection is too slow at this time to stream video. I've never had a problem playing any DVD (BR or not).
post #1482 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

It sounds like like your files have bead headers. I had one of apple's kelynote even files do that for me once .m4v I used a program called:"MPEG StreamClip" to fix the problem. If you're on windows then maybe someone else can recommend software that does the same thing. Basically what happens is, the codecs are fine, but depending on how the file was created, sometimes they're slightly out of spec, e.g. file headers certain flags aren't set, or aren't set correctly. Re saving them with a program like I mentioned fixes the problem. Also note, that such files don't always break on every player, e.g. they might work fine on the computer or ipod or other video player, but devices like the br player may catch the glitch and trip up. Using a program like suggested and taking these steps simply ensures a file thats created to mpeg 4 standards.

If it matters, I'm using iMovie to create the vids and export them as MPEG 4 files. Is there a way to check's the file's spec to make sure that's the problem? Also, would it help to change my export settings?
post #1483 of 3944
So far so good for me. No reason to dislike this model yet. The wifi is actually pretty strong to the unit from 2 floors up with the N signal.
post #1484 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Haven't had that issue, no. Yes the device has to be registered at internet.sony.tv to use the streaming services.

If you don't have a sony account go to http://internet.sony.tv create an account, then register your device.

for services like pandora amazon vod, etc you need to link them to your device via the sony site. netflix activates directly with netflix.

I experienced this.
The S570 directed me to internet.sony.tv/Netflix
.. but that page has a redirection to www.sony.com/mydash
.. which should be ignored, since registering there provokes that curious message.
Instead, one must click "New to My Essentials?"
post #1485 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post

I experienced this.
The S570 directed me to internet.sony.tv/Netflix
.. but that page has a redirection to www.sony.com/mydash
.. which should be ignored, since registering there provokes that curious message.
Instead, one must click "New to My Essentials?"

Are you in the US? After the initial activation of the device with sony, if you open the netflix app for the first time by selecting and clicking ok, you'll get the initial screen from netflix that asks Are you a netflix member? Yes or No. When clicking Yes I was directed to www.netflix/activate/ when there you simply enter the code that's on the TV screen, and you're done. Something I always do though, is update the firmware to the latest before using the unit.

It seems like the people who are having issues registering are making more work for themselves beyond what is ACTUALLY required. I say this based on my own personal experience with this unit.
post #1486 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Is anybody happy with the bdp-s570? Everyone here seems to be posting only negatives. I need a player that can wirelessly stream netflix and a player that won't hang or freeze up while starting up or playing a disc.

Just an observation, you can compare this player to an Oppo but thiis player lacks analog outs. "Secrets of Hme Theater" really liked this player, that's all I need to hear.

I shoulkd have bought the S-570 originally.

I sold my Oppo 83 and picked up this unit as I didn't need the analog outs or DVD-A. Can't say I miss the Oppo, except it at least looked a lot nicer (fit/finish). Don't really watch SD-DVD's, and when I do on my 58" Samsung plasma I can't say I notice a huge difference or any really.

This unit seems a tad faster as well.

The Oppo was a great unit, but I wanted to try this streaming and internet stuff. So after reading the Secrets review, sold the Oppo, bought the 570 and pocketed a couple hundred in the process.

Apparently though, these units will not send 480i native to an AVR per Winston, which is an issue if you watch a lot of SD-DVDs and prefer the scaler in your AVR (or external scaler) over the 570.
post #1487 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I sold my Oppo 83 and picked up this unit as I didn't need the analog outs or DVD-A. Can't say I miss the Oppo, except it at least looked a lot nicer (fit/finish). Don't really watch SD-DVD's, and when I do on my 58" Samsung plasma I can't say I notice a huge difference or any really.

This unit seems a tad faster as well.

The Oppo was a great unit, but I wanted to try this streaming and internet stuff. So after reading the Secrets review, sold the Oppo, bought the 570 and pocketed a couple hundred in the process.

Apparently though, these units will not send 480i native to an AVR per Winston, which is an issue if you watch a lot of SD-DVDs and prefer the scaler in your AVR (or external scaler) over the 570.

Perhaps I'm missing something? If I set the HDMI output to 480i the S570 does send out 480i to my A/V receiver and my TV will also say it receives 480i. It does look not so great and in seriously need of motionflow assistance in even the xbar menu. My test was the DVD of Godzilla. It looks much better if I let the S570 send it as 1080p. The TV is a Sony 32EX700 and the A/V receiver is a Yamaha RX-V867.
post #1488 of 3944
Does this player play SACD in the original high res bitrate or does it downsample? Sorry if this was maybe answered before, but I access the forum from my phone and have a hard time reading through a lot of pages. Looking for a 3D blu-ray player with SACD, DLNA that allows to stream HD MKVs would be a bonus but not necessary. Other than the S570 I consider the new Oppo 93, the Denon 1611 or the Yamaha BD-A1000 but these are all not available yet and quite a bit more $$!
post #1489 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Does this player play SACD in the original high res bitrate or does it downsample? Sorry if this was maybe answered before, but I access the forum from my phone and have a hard time reading through a lot of pages. Looking for a 3D blu-ray player with SACD, DLNA that allows to stream HD MKVs would be a bonus but not necessary. Other than the S570 I consider the new Oppo 93, the Denon 1611 or the Yamaha BD-A1000 but these are all not available yet and quite a bit more $$!

It plays SACD in both DSD and LPCM over HDMI. If your A/V receiver can handle the signal, it works. No clue on DLNA. I thought MKVs was/is a good deed.
post #1490 of 3944
Quote:


Any comparisom to the imfamous OPPO?

LOL Sorry to inform you, but infamous means somone or something with a bad reputation. If by infamous you mean famous then no, I haven't seen any direct comparisons. However, I've owned the Oppo bdp-83 and it's overall a much nicer player.
post #1491 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavison007 View Post


LOL Sorry to inform you, but infamous means somone or something with a bad reputation. If by infamous you mean famous then no, I haven't seen any direct comparisons. However, I've owned the Oppo bdp-83 and it's overall a much nicer player.

I would like to wait for the new BDP-93 as I am sure it will be a better player, but the S570 is already available, seems to have all the features I really need (not all I want) and is really cheap compared to the Oppo!
post #1492 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Perhaps I'm missing something? If I set the HDMI output to 480i the S570 does send out 480i to my A/V receiver and my TV will also say it receives 480i. It does look not so great and in seriously need of motionflow assistance in even the xbar menu. My test was the DVD of Godzilla. It looks much better if I let the S570 send it as 1080p. The TV is a Sony 32EX700 and the A/V receiver is a Yamaha RX-V867.

The Sony doesn't have Source Direct. "Original Resolution," which some thought might be Source Direct, insists on deinterlacing so it will always put out a progressive signal even if you'd rather it not. It's a pain to go in and customize the output settings of a blu-ray player for each disc you play so for those with high-end video processors which do a much better job of deinterlacing than the Sony, essentially they'd better not pick a Sony blu-ray player as all their current line-up lack an automatic Source Direct output option.

I frankly don't understand the utility of the "Original Resolution" setting. Why not just go full-on and pass the video stream completely untouched, then call it "Source Direct"?
post #1493 of 3944
Hey guys, I need some feedback about my sony. I'm still somewhat evaluating the unit to make sure it's fully functioning properly.

One thing I've noticed is, when I'm using the netflix application and I'm watching a stream the system seems to lag at times in response to commands vs other services and even watching local media either by use or optical disc. Has anyone one else experienced this? I still think it's been working solid except for the occasional glitch but I wanted to see if others have experienced similar things with their player.

Thanks
post #1494 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Hey guys, I need some feedback about my sony. I'm still somewhat evaluating the unit to make sure it's fully functioning properly.

One thing I've noticed is, when I'm using the netflix application and I'm watching a stream the system seems to lag at times in response to commands vs other services and even watching local media either by use or optical disc. Has anyone one else experienced this? I still think it's been working solid except for the occasional glitch but I wanted to see if others have experienced similar things with their player.

Thanks

Yeah, I've experienced the same delays, too; however, all of my players have, so I just chalk it up to the fact that it's due to the streaming. My Comcast DVR is the same with the OnDemand stuff, yet response time on the programs on the unit's hard drive is fine.
post #1495 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV View Post

Yeah, I've experienced the same delays, too; however, all of my players have, so I just chalk it up to the fact that it's due to the streaming. My Comcast DVR is the same with the OnDemand stuff, yet response time on the programs on the unit's hard drive is fine.

Thanks, I just wanted to double check, yeah that was my initial thought as well, cause streaming can be very intense, though electronics can also do random and very unexpected things too.
post #1496 of 3944
I like the device, but it has certain disappointments;
1) It will play disks (of course!), but will not play iso images of disks.
This is a big one for me, I have ripped images of disks on my servers, but it won't play any of them. Clearly it knows how to decode and play them, since it will play the same exact image from a physical disk.
All other servers, windows programs, STBs, etc. that I have tried can do this.
2) Even for playing disks, it doesn't remember where you were in a disk if you stop and restart later. Even my old Sony DVD player that I replaced would remember 5 disks, and restart them automatically. My last player at least had a bookmarking feature to support this, albeit with some manual overhead.
3) It won't play sound during fast forward.
(my Panasonic BD player would do this, it is a nice feature.)
4) in some situations, it would not jump to next item ( >>| ), and I had to stop the playback, which then forced a reload of the disk, start over from previews, menu, etc. Very annoying!
In many (not all) cases it won't jump past previews individually (again >>| ), but on others it will - perhaps disk & firmware related.

These are all very basic things, and I would hope that a firmware upgrade will improve them.

I do especially like the quick start-up. :-)
post #1497 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Hey guys, I need some feedback about my sony. I'm still somewhat evaluating the unit to make sure it's fully functioning properly.

One thing I've noticed is, when I'm using the netflix application and I'm watching a stream the system seems to lag at times in response to commands vs other services and even watching local media either by use or optical disc. Has anyone one else experienced this? I still think it's been working solid except for the occasional glitch but I wanted to see if others have experienced similar things with their player.

Thanks

Netflix did the same thing on my LG player. It even does the same thing on my Media Center (where I usually watch Netflix). That machine is a Core i3 with 4GB of RAM, so it should be able to handle anything. I chalk the lag up to problems with Netflix and their streaming implementation.
post #1498 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie View Post

I like the device, but it has certain disappointments;
2) Even for playing disks, it doesn't remember where you were in a disk if you stop and restart later. Even my old Sony DVD player that I replaced would remember 5 disks, and restart them automatically. My last player at least had a bookmarking feature to support this, albeit with some manual overhead.
4) in some situations, it would not jump to next item ( >>| ), and I had to stop the playback, which then forced a reload of the disk, start over from previews, menu, etc. Very annoying!
In many (not all) cases it won't jump past previews individually (again >>| ), but on others it will - perhaps disk & firmware related.

Have you had the non remembering of positions on DVD and all Blu-Ray discs? Some discs (I think they are ones with BDJ) can not be bookmarked. It's a limitation on the blu-ray spec for those particular discs.

The force watch of previews is and other things is enforced by the disc. I'm not sure what the licensing issues are involved with this, but it could be that allowing you to skip unskippable items would be a breach of the licensing agreement. Usually, every disc has a sequence of key presses you can use to get right to the menu. I think all Disney discs for example have the same one. You can usually google it to find it.
post #1499 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

Netflix did the same thing on my LG player. It even does the same thing on my Media Center (where I usually watch Netflix). That machine is a Core i3 with 4GB of RAM, so it should be able to handle anything. I chalk the lag up to problems with Netflix and their streaming implementation.

On a side note, has anyone had this player glitch on a DVD? for example, I wanted to compare toy story 3 on bd and dvd when I put the DVD in, and hit play on the menu the screen went solid red, so i hit stop the player shut down and turned off. I turned it back on and it was fine. It's never done that with a blu-ray and usually doesn't crash at all. I think with the rareness of glitches overall it's either firmware bugs, or if i've used netflix it could be leaking memory etc.

Bottom line is, i have occasional glitches, but nothing that seems to repeat or happen regularly.
post #1500 of 3944
Hi all,

How do I sign out of pandora, and re-sign in with my Pandora One account? I had just been using the free version of pandora, now I want to re-sign in with my 'One account.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread