or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 117

post #3481 of 3944
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find any reference specifically to voltage with regards to this great blu-ray player. I moved to Switzerland and as far as I can find, this player only supports the standard 110V. I find it odd that this player doesn't support 220V, like a lot of newer, smaller electronic devices (both my printers, of course my computer PSU, my electric toothbrush, portable hard drive, etc). Does anyone have any experience using this with a plug adapter in Europe, with 220V? Or do I need to go with the transformer route? I just wouldn't put it past Sony to only list it as supporting 110V and then relabeling the exact same product with a different power cable and listing it in Europe as only 220V.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Jonathan
post #3482 of 3944
Quick update.

I followed joekustra's suggestion by replacing the optical cable with an RCA coax cable. Voila, now I can hear the Sony blu-ray perfectly through the Yamaha receiver.

Now I have a new headache, the Yamaha Receiver has only 1 RCA coax input, I'd like to connect both my comcast box and the blu-ray through RCA. I guess I have to get a switch.

I haven't seen (still looking) for an adui switch to switch 2 RCA coax into 1.
post #3483 of 3944
You have to tell it what audio inputs go with what inputs. This is why I got rid of my Yamaha.
post #3484 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post

Quick update.

I followed joekustra's suggestion by replacing the optical cable with an RCA coax cable. Voila, now I can hear the Sony blu-ray perfectly through the Yamaha receiver.

Now I have a new headache, the Yamaha Receiver has only 1 RCA coax input, I'd like to connect both my comcast box and the blu-ray through RCA. I guess I have to get a switch.

I haven't seen (still looking) for an adui switch to switch 2 RCA coax into 1.

Any RCA A/B switch will work, here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...V4MJHT4X91BQ00

Rant:
I don't understand how optical got so popular when coaxial supports the same formats and bitrate, not to mention you can use any patch cord with RCA jacks(I have a box full of them). I just bought a new TV that only has optical and I had to buy a Toslink cable.
post #3485 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Any RCA A/B switch will work, here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...V4MJHT4X91BQ00

Rant:
I don't understand how optical got so popular when coaxial supports the same formats and bitrate, not to mention you can use any patch cord with RCA jacks(I have a box full of them). I just bought a new TV that only has optical and I had to buy a Toslink cable.

You can get optical to coax adapters. They need power. I used one with my old JVC without any issues. They are not bi-directional. My TV only has optical too. Seems to be a standard. Sounds sexy I guess.
post #3486 of 3944
I'm trying to put my finger into my problem.

I have 2 optical and 1 RCA inputs on my Yamaha. There is a little more problem than when I started this topic.

RCA to RCA from my Sony Blu-ray to Yamaha is perfectly working now.

When I connect optical from my cable box to optical in Yamaha, I'm getting a hit and miss on the sounds on the Yamaha. I'll get perfect sounds on 1 channel, the next channel will go silent without any patterns. Remember I also have problem getting sounds from optical from Blu-ray to optical in Yamaha.

So I'm convinced that I should take RCA output from both the sources and feed them into RCA input on my Yamaha.

I'm fairly convinced there is no problem with optical output on my 2 sources since they worked perfectly on my onkyo receiver.

Somehow my Yamaha prefers RCA input and I have only 1 input.

So currently, I'm using an audio cable L, R from the cable box to Yamaha L, R input. So I'm basically giving analog input from my cable box.

So I'm looking for a switch to convert 2 RCA inputs into 1 RCA output.
post #3487 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post

I'm trying to put my finger into my problem.

I have 2 optical and 1 RCA inputs on my Yamaha. There is a little more problem than when I started this topic.

RCA to RCA from my Sony Blu-ray to Yamaha is perfectly working now.

When I connect optical from my cable box to optical in Yamaha, I'm getting a hit and miss on the sounds on the Yamaha. I'll get perfect sounds on 1 channel, the next channel will go silent without any patterns. Remember I also have problem getting sounds from optical from Blu-ray to optical in Yamaha.

So I'm convinced that I should take RCA output from both the sources and feed them into RCA input on my Yamaha.

I'm fairly convinced there is no problem with optical output on my 2 sources since they worked perfectly on my onkyo receiver.

Somehow my Yamaha prefers RCA input and I have only 1 input.

So currently, I'm using an audio cable L, R from the cable box to Yamaha L, R input. So I'm basically giving analog input from my cable box.

So I'm looking for a switch to convert 2 RCA inputs into 1 RCA output.

The one from Amazon sounds good. Too bad you can't try a different optical cable. The tips can be damaged causing dropouts. Trying to plug it in without being able to see the female end is bad. If the design had included a protective shield for the tip this would would have been a better cable.

The optical output of my Sony TV feeds my Yamaha perfectly and sends 5.1 through if that is the source from the tuner or HDMI (HD cable box). It only passes 2ch or DD 5.1, not DTS, or other protocols.
post #3488 of 3944
The one you recommended from Amazon looks like traditional analog L/R cable input. Do you think I'll be able to get Dolby or DTS from it?

BTW, I have tried different optical cables and the same cables work on Onkyo.
post #3489 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post

The one you recommended from Amazon looks like traditional analog L/R cable input. Do you think I'll be able to get Dolby or DTS from it?

BTW, I have tried different optical cables and the same cables work on Onkyo.

I had the same problem until I read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Optical, as coax, is just a medium. The content or protocol is carried by the medium. There are other factors, mostly physical. Cables don't care what they carry. Some are better than others but only for their physical durablility and perhaps loss over distance. RG-6 doesn't lose signal like RG-59. Both carry rf signals. Coax comes with double shielding. Optical comes in various diameters and connectors. Good pricing and selection from Monoprice.com, one of the sponsors with a link on every page.

You can contaminate optical. You can corrode coax. Nothing's perfect.
post #3490 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post

The one you recommended from Amazon looks like traditional analog L/R cable input. Do you think I'll be able to get Dolby or DTS from it?

BTW, I have tried different optical cables and the same cables work on Onkyo.

It will work because all RCA jacks are 75 ohms and it is a closed circuit, that's all that matters. Do you have a Best Buy or RadioShack near you? They sell them as well, if it doesn't work you can always take it back.

As for the Yamaha not accepting optical there might be dust in the port or the sensor is bad. Ports do go out, the HDMI port on my old TV went out so I had to buy a new TV(it was a convenient excuse to buy a new TV).

To expand on what coaxial and optical supports:
5.1ch DD/DTS(up to 768Kbps)
2ch PCM(up to 1536Kbps)
44.1, 48 and 96kHz
post #3491 of 3944
So, if you are to use your cable near or on electrical line feeds to equipment, optical would be preferred due to no interference?
post #3492 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedweb View Post

So, if you are to use your cable near or on electrical line feeds to equipment, optical would be preferred due to no interference?

Correct, optical doesn't suffer from ground-loop or RF interference. To be fair I have used coaxial for many years and never experienced interference.
post #3493 of 3944
I bought a coaxial Y splitter from the Home Depot. It takes 2 coaxial inputs and outputs 1 coaxial, or it can be used the other way also (splits signal into 2 outputs).

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

My current problem is solved. I'm getting DTS and Dolby 5.1 from both Blu-ray and cable box.

BTW, this is a new set up in my newly finished basement. I find the sounds are not optimum in the newly installed ceiling and wall speakers.

Any pointers on calibration? I'll search the forum also. My receiver doesn't come with built-in tools for calibration. I have to manually adjust each one.
post #3494 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post
I bought a coaxial Y splitter from the Home Depot. It takes 2 coaxial inputs and outputs 1 coaxial, or it can be used the other way also (splits signal into 2 outputs).

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

My current problem is solved. I'm getting DTS and Dolby 5.1 from both Blu-ray and cable box.

BTW, this is a new set up in my newly finished basement. I find the sounds are not optimum in the newly installed ceiling and wall speakers.

Any pointers on calibration? I'll search the forum also. My receiver doesn't come with built-in tools for calibration. I have to manually adjust each one.
Don't try to have both devices send a signal at the same time. You might not like the result.

Generally speaking, you have to use your eyes and ears and especially your brain. Some physical items can be controlled, some can't. Some you can afford, some you can't. You didn't build a home theater, you finished your basement. Calibration is a good starting point and can be a great help in spotting problems. It can give you opinions about phase and distance. Some of the advice you can take, some you can't.

So stand in the space, look around, listen to something you like, and try to imagine what you can do to make it better. The answer might be to just wait until next year when you can afford to make a change that would be impossible now. It could be something simple and inexpensive. I'm not you.

These are just general thoughts. There are threads for home theaters also. I've been in the same place for six years and still change things. But it's my hobby.
post #3495 of 3944
If you have an optical input you can obtain a converter--check on line they were under $20.
post #3496 of 3944
Hi All:

I have a BDP-BX57 (the box store version of the S570) and have encountered a few oddities related to aspect ratios. I've found some of these mentioned in this forum (USB files playing with wrong ratios), but I'm also seeing recorded DVDs and AVCHD disks play oddly. As an example, I frequently convert mkv movie files to AVCHD format with tsMuxeR and burn them to discs using ImgBurn so I can play them on my blu-ray player. Whereas all of these play with the proper aspect ratio on my computer or my old BDP-S300 blu-ray player, many (but not all) of the anamorphic widescreen movies play in full 16x9 format (they are vertically streatched). None of the settings I've tried (viz., Screen Format fixed vs original) have made a difference, and I have also had periodic issues with DVD aspect ratios as well.

Is this just something to live with (needing to blu-ray players for proper playback) or have any solutions been found? I noted a post here that having a disc in the drive fixes USB aspect ratio issues, but that approach doesn't apply here (unless I need to have a USB drive plugged in, which I guess I'll try).

I believe I have the most current firmware (M04R752).

Any and all suggestions welcome : )

SFC
post #3497 of 3944
My BDP-S570 Blu-ray player has stopped seeing my WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER on my WINDOWS 7 WIRELESS LAPTOP. The player did see it at first hook up and worked for about 4 months then slowly begin to have problems finding it and about a month ago lost it all together. It is hard wired to a Linksys E2000 along with a HARDWIRED XP desktop and the WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop. The BDP streams all the internet applications just fine and sees the XP HARDWIRED desktop WMP just fine but not the WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop can see the XP HARDWIRED desktop and share files and the printer as well. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop also list the BDP player in the network and I can ping it with no problems. Norton Anti-Virus also list it in the network and I have it set to full trust. The firewall is set the same as it was when the BDP player could see the WIRELESS WIN 7 WMP on the laptop. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop also accesses the internet with not problem as well. Is there any way to absolutely determine if the player is at fault or my set up on the WIRELESS NETWORK or the WIRELESS WIN 7 Laptop? I have every sharing option turned on that is possible! Thanks in advance for your help!
post #3498 of 3944
Im having an issue with my 570. About 2-3 times during a blu ray playback I get a pink flash. It happened even when the blu ray was paused. Could this be a hdmi cable issue??
post #3499 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbellie View Post

My BDP-S570 Blu-ray player has stopped seeing my WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER on my WINDOWS 7 WIRELESS LAPTOP. The player did see it at first hook up and worked for about 4 months then slowly begin to have problems finding it and about a month ago lost it all together. It is hard wired to a Linksys E2000 along with a HARDWIRED XP desktop and the WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop. The BDP streams all the internet applications just fine and sees the XP HARDWIRED desktop WMP just fine but not the WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop can see the XP HARDWIRED desktop and share files and the printer as well. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop also list the BDP player in the network and I can ping it with no problems. Norton Anti-Virus also list it in the network and I have it set to full trust. The firewall is set the same as it was when the BDP player could see the WIRELESS WIN 7 WMP on the laptop. The WIRELESS WIN 7 laptop also accesses the internet with not problem as well. Is there any way to absolutely determine if the player is at fault or my set up on the WIRELESS NETWORK or the WIRELESS WIN 7 Laptop? I have every sharing option turned on that is possible! Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't if this will help, but we can at least weep together. I have a win 7 Toshiba laptop that was Vista until late last year. I use it WiFi to a Netgear dual band router. My XP desktop and Yamaha receiver are also wired. My TV and S570 are wireless. When I started loading disks (audio) onto the laptop everything looked great, Then slowly thing started dying. I found that WMC/MWI was using all my laptop's 4GB memory. I could see the WMP logo, but nothing past that. No problem with access to the XP machine from anything. So, being not the smartest explorer I decided to retask the laptop for news, remove WMC, and kill all the music. I bought a large HDD for my XP box and now have two stable machines. Maybe this fall I will get a Win 7 desktop and start new. For now, it's outdoors time, so I have to work with what I got. The S570 gets music from the XP machine if it is running WMI or NeroHome. Some is MP3 and some is PCM. No issues with an old Dell running XP. WPA2 security also. I don't know what MS did to WMC and Win7, but it hurt.
post #3500 of 3944
Thanks for the response Joe.
Well, I'm glad to see some one else has similar problems. I am at wits end as this has been going on for a month now and I miss the streaming from my Win 7 laptop as it is my computer and the XP is my wife's and that being the case I do not like to depend on it for my streaming of the content I like to see and hear on the big screen or listen to though the sound system...but any way, I can not get anyone to comment to an answer as to the cause. Sony's support site is down and has been for two weeks, which I find unreal but their chat tech put me to calling in as they could not help me as did Linksys with questions about the router and wanted to pawn me off to some high charging techs, Microsoft forums has been no help nor HP....I just can't understand why it worked to begin with and then just quit..Oh well, who the heck knows whats going on with these silicon and plastic beast...my laptop is doing something crazy as I type now..whatever!!! Joe..have a great one and drop by anytime!!!
post #3501 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd ener View Post

I have the BDP-S570 and use my home computer to stream. In the Sony XMB that shows photos, music, videos - I have my computer listed in the photo and the video but not the music. I can stream photos and videos but since I do not have the logo under the music, I cannot stream music.

I have tried to erase servers and researching and that did not work. Does anyone have an idea of why my computer for streaming will show up under photo and video but not music?

Thanks,

Joe, I have the same problem but with all my content now missing from my Win 7 laptop that worked for about 4 months and then just died...can not see any of the WMP logos under any format...and just as you have, my XP SP3 which is hard wired works fine...and WMP does not have to be running to access it...I can understand why my WMP is not working on all content but to have it quit on two of the three formats makes no sense at all..if you find a fix please post!! Thanks for sharing!
post #3502 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbellie View Post

Joe, I have the same problem but with all my content now missing from my Win 7 laptop that worked for about 4 months and then just died...can not see any of the WMP logos under any format...and just as you have, my XP SP3 which is hard wired works fine...and WMP does not have to be running to access it...I can understand why my WMP is not working on all content but to have it quit on two of the three formats makes no sense at all..if you find a fix please post!! Thanks for sharing!

Strange, but it's working ok this morning. Yesterday I removed WMC. I also let it run until the HDD stopped working, then turned off power. I'll check further on Monday. I was not running WMP but the services were running, and I'm using my Sony TV to test the laptop. Both are wireless. I bought the laptop as a media server, so I will pursue this problem. Not as top priority though. Grass grows fast right now.
post #3503 of 3944
Good luck! I have never been so beaten down by any problem like this one has done to me and I am on the verge of spending money to find out what's going on. I have never in all my years of PCing never had to lay out funds to correct any problem but this one has me thinking I might have to. Forums have always been a great way but for this problem it seems that there is no answer to be found.

Have fun with the grass cutting.. fortunately I do not have to worry about that as I live in an apt complex...awesome for me!!!

Will be looking for news!
post #3504 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbellie View Post

Good luck! I have never been so beaten down by any problem like this one has done to me and I am on the verge of spending money to find out what's going on. I have never in all my years of PCing never had to lay out funds to correct any problem but this one has me thinking I might have to. Forums have always been a great way but for this problem it seems that there is no answer to be found.

Have fun with the grass cutting.. fortunately I do not have to worry about that as I live in an apt complex...awesome for me!!!

Will be looking for news!

There are tools that might help. The Task Manager with Win7 is greatly improved. You can try email at MS support. Learning to use the tools might be educational and time consuming. MS has a ton of stuff in their Knowledge Base, and specific support for media problems. I would start by checking your memory use. I need 1Gb to get a desktop. When I installed Win7 I used defaults and let it rip. My XP only needs 128Mb for a desktop and until recently it was a 512Mb machine. I discovered memory is cheap.

I turn my laptop off when not in use. That might account for the long time of disk activity at boot time. This morning it still works. Oddly, I must login on the laptop before I get the pretty box. This is true with both my wireless TV and wired receiver. I didn't need to do that when WMC was installed. I still, like you, don't run WMP except for changes in content.

Maybe I'm saying: disable WMC. If you have login security enabled: login. Then let it finish the boot & update processes. Maybe you'll get lucky. The S570 a great audio processing ability. It would be a shame to not be able to use all of it.
post #3505 of 3944
Oh, I love my S570 and so far have had none of the internet streaming problems others have seen posted here. I have as good an viewing experience from the internet as I have had via cable or dish...can't complain at all and the disc playback is just as good!

Yeah, I've been to the MS site, specifically to the Win 7 and WMP pages but have found nothing that has helped me solve my problem. I am always pointed back to the same standard "Set Streaming" which is not the problem as I have every thing set just as it was when I first set it up and it worked. I even uninstalled Norton 360 and re-installed it with all the default settings in place and that did not help. Though I did not try it with Norton uninstalled as I did not want to risk being online with out protection of the anti-virus but I could not see how it would be causing the problem as it allowed the streaming from the start.
You mentioned WMC...I do not use WMC but only WMP for streaming...
I have yet to email or phone MS but I am about to take that route as I most certain that it is a problem with software rather than hardware.
I tried to get on to the Sony support site but it has been down for weeks..don't understand that but no one else mentions that in any post and the Sony chat help gave me a link to the page with no reference to them being down so I don't know what's with that.
Everything else seems to be fine...memory is fine, I've set everything to default settings but I will look at the suggested paths you laid out and see what comes from my excursion. Thanks for your help Joe!
post #3506 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbellie View Post

Oh, I love my S570 and so far have had none of the internet streaming problems others have seen posted here. I have as good an viewing experience from the internet as I have had via cable or dish...can't complain at all and the disc playback is just as good!

After three days, I can predict how my laptop with WMC deactivated works with the S570.

First, the Win7 laptop has login security enabled. I turn it on and have a rather boring screen waiting for my password. The BR shows the connection which doesn't go away unless I clean up my servers under the S570 network setup options. It only shows the generic network device icon.

After I login on the laptop, the icon of the S570 changes to WMP in about 15 seconds. I am not running the program. You said:

"You mentioned WMC...I do not use WMC but only WMP for streaming..."

I only use WMP to rip, not to force streaming. I don't even edit the library. I only store music. The S570 shows the music data and the 1.2Mbs rate on my TV. Sounds quite nice through my Yamaha V867. The AVR also "sees" the laptop, but (also) only displays it after my login. Sound is good but S570 back though the AVR is better. That's a different story.

I can assume you haven't added any other DNLA service or added some CD reader software, and haven't changed the startup options for any tasks. If all this still doesn't help, you have passed my level of experience. It's a big internet, finding help may be a hunt, but it's out there someplace.
post #3507 of 3944
JoeKustra, I can not even see the generic server like I did for a few days before it quit showing anything at all...when it would show the generic symbol I could click ok and it would go though and start the server though sometimes it would take a few times to get it going but it would get going and show the WMP icon but now, no kind of symbol shows at all. I guess the biggest question I have is: If my laptop Network can map the BDP-S570 in the network, my Norton 360 anti-virus has it mapped in it's network( FULL TRUST) so it should not be blocking it and I can ping it with no problem, why can the BDP-S570 not see it the laptop WMP???

You mentioned adding any DNLA device or service and I have not added anything but a Sony mp3 player but that is only through a USB connection but I'm thinking I was having the problem before I hooked up the player...but it could have started afterwards. Though I downloaded the software and hooked it up to the XP desktop and have had no problems with it there. Though there was a registry corruption I guess as I could not get my laptop to see it when I hooked it up but found on a forum to uninstall it the player and I did and re-installed it and it works fine now.

I don't quiet understand how the WMC works as with the BDP-S570 as it ask for an 8 digit number to from the device before hooking up the WMC to the device..don't know of any such number so I am at a loss on that.

Oh well, it's good to hear from you anyway and I hope you got the grass under control and have a great week! Thanks again!
post #3508 of 3944
Some of you will probably be getting The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions on Blu-ray when they are released next week. Each of the three movies is split over two BDs. The first disc of each movie plays fine, but when you put in the second disc for each movie you'll get a big black screen of nothing using the BDP-S570.

All is not lost, though. There is one fix to rule them all. I tried the disc on my computer's BD drive and the menu on the second disc loaded fine. When you get the big black screen of nothing, just hit "enter" and the movie will start to play again. The menu isn't appearing on the screen, but what you are selecting is "continue film." After the movie starts again, you can select the pop-up menu to explore the other options.

Hope this saves some Middle Earth fans some grief next week.
post #3509 of 3944
Thanks for the heads up Zuulboy...this should save a lot of grief!
post #3510 of 3944
Let's hope Sony releases a firmware update before the discs are released....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread