or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 122

post #3631 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

For anyone who has gone through the exchange option through Sony, can you please tell me what the turnaround time was from when you sent your unit out to when you got your new unit? Thanks.

I'm wanting to say 2-3 weeks for my exchange. The tracking website never updated, even when it showed up at my door.
post #3632 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post

I'm wanting to say 2-3 weeks for my exchange. The tracking website never updated, even when it showed up at my door.

Funny you happened to reply today, I just received mine today. They did rush shipping to me. I shipped it out on the August 23rd and received it September 1st. That's pretty quick.
post #3633 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Funny you happened to reply today, I just received mine today. They did rush shipping to me. I shipped it out on the August 23rd and received it September 1st. That's pretty quick.

It's kind of funny how a thread that's seen very little activity for almost a year is so active again. I'm getting at least one update a day if not two or three now. Most of my player threads don't see much frequent activity these days. Nothing to do with the current, conversation, just commenting on the increased activity here.
post #3634 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

I'm having an issue with getting wi-fi connection in a timely manner. It can take several minutes for the bluray to get a connected. When I go to netflix is usually says "Connection status cannot be donfirmed. A network error has occurred.

I switched from WEP to WPA, about a month ago without any issues. Then about a couple of weeks ago, the issue started. I just upgraded my FW and that didn't help.

In the network status it shows:
Wireless Connection: OK
Internet Access: FAILED
Signal Strength: 100%
Security: WPA/WPA2-PSK
IP Address Setting: Auto


Any ideas?

I started having the same issue. It was worse when I had it connected by wire. Better with wifi. Don't know what's wrong. Glad I don't use netflix much.
post #3635 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I started having the same issue. It was worse when I had it connected by wire. Better with wifi. Don't know what's wrong. Glad I don't use netflix much.

First of all, it's better to use manual settings for the internet connection, so you don't have to use DHCP, and have to worry about introduced problems from that.

Second, I think the sony has two level of connection to the internet.
1 being the initial connection to the network with an active tcp/ip stack / ip address, which will let you check for software updates, and pass connection tests, then you have the stage where the player connects to the sony network where the video and audio services are available. In your case it was most likely a dhcp issue with the router/player, so setting up a manual connection is ideal for that. however it's possible to have a perfectly functional connection to the home network and still have service connection problems if sony is having issues with there network. I've had that before, and I know it wasn't my end because everything that worked with a tcp/ip connection function properly.
post #3636 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Not sure what cause is, but switching to a static IP will definitely speed things up since there is no DHCP to deal with. I ultimately end up putting static IP's on all my A/V devices after encountering problems like yours.

I've been both routes. I have compromised with no problems: I leave DHCP enabled on my router, but made reservations for all the devices. That also lets me name the devices (3 wireless, 3 wired) and I detect no problems. I have done this on my DIR-865 and (now) WNDR-4000. I switched only because I like to try new toys not because of faults with the 865.
post #3637 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

It's kind of funny how a thread that's seen very little activity for almost a year is so active again. I'm getting at least one update a day if not two or three now. Most of my player threads don't see much frequent activity these days. Nothing to do with the current, conversation, just commenting on the increased activity here.

Two weeks until a new TV season. Perhaps there are just more people with time now. I think older threads slow down when a better product gets released and people (like me) jump on it. It takes much longer for a small evolutionary change to become a standard than a revolutionary change. Probably Sony is looking for a new box to spur sales, but what has been released recently (BR, TV) doesn't make me want to change. I guess it's that old question: "Do I need to get it?".

There are, of course, exceptions.
post #3638 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Two weeks until a new TV season. Perhaps there are just more people with time now. I think older threads slow down when a better product gets released and people (like me) jump on it. It takes much longer for a small evolutionary change to become a standard than a revolutionary change. Probably Sony is looking for a new box to spur sales, but what has been released recently (BR, TV) doesn't make me want to change. I guess it's that old question: "Do I need to get it?".

There are, of course, exceptions.

Well I've been with Blu-ray for a couple years now, and at first all the new stuff was exciting, so i wanted to try a lot of stuff, now that it's become pretty standard and stable now, the thrill has worn off and I just use what I actually need, and somewhat of what I enjoy. Pretty much blu-ray for me has just become an upgrade to DVD so discs are the primary media here, and sometimes i'll watch some shows I have on amazon. Netflix no longer hold my attention so i candled streaming and went with disc only. So it's just an example of how i've gotten so used to the technology that i have found my notch, and the constant changing technology doesn't really appeal right now. My newest tech, is my iPhone that I got last month.
post #3639 of 3944
is there a device that will allow me to stream movies from a Synology server to my receiver (Denon 4800CI) with the files being in ISO format?

i wish my receiver could do that, but it wont, Although it is on my network, the interface and feature set is primitive. I recently bought a Roku 2 XS and an Apple TV 2, already have a BDP-S570 and am considering buying an Oppo BDP-93 but no confidence that any of these will meet my need, which is full DLNA compatibility with ability to stream video in ISO and other popular formats. I also have a Dell Studio Hybrid near my receiver, which might be my only option at this time
post #3640 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

is there a device that will allow me to stream movies from a Synology server to my receiver (Denon 4800CI) with the files being in ISO format?

i wish my receiver could do that, but it wont, Although it is on my network, the interface and feature set is primitive. I recently bought a Roku 2 XS and an Apple TV 2, already have a BDP-S570 and am considering buying an Oppo BDP-93 but no confidence that any of these will meet my need, which is full DLNA compatibility with ability to stream video in ISO and other popular formats. I also have a Dell Studio Hybrid near my receiver, which might be my only option at this time

The Oppo 93 can't stream ISO, only plays from local USB.
post #3641 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The Oppo 93 can't stream ISO, only plays from local USB.

I am aware of that, looking for a device with a small footprint besides the Dell hybrid PC that can do that. I find the concept of having a PC next to my audio system unappealing
post #3642 of 3944
I just bought one of these for my parents. So far, so good. They have an itouch, and I'll be downloading the BD Remote app.

I know this ill plat movie info from discs. will it display the same kind of info while watching a netflix show?
post #3643 of 3944
The new player update fixed a problem I had. I used that feature where you'd turn on the player, and it would turn on the tv too. Well, most tines you'd do that, the DVD player would sit there for like 3 mins saying "Wait..." while the tv is ready to go.

The new update corrects that for me. Works fine right away.
post #3644 of 3944
Reference Code 300 right now.
Cannot connect to any internet service at all. Bummer. Had no issue with this earlier today.
Reset Modem and Router, no help.
I assume this is a Sony server issue as I am able to connect to Netflix and such with my computer but not my Sony Blu-Ray.
post #3645 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD_23 View Post

Reference Code 300 right now.
Cannot connect to any internet service at all. Bummer. Had no issue with this earlier today.
Reset Modem and Router, no help.
I assume this is a Sony server issue as I am able to connect to Netflix and such with my computer but not my Sony Blu-Ray.

I'm having the same issue with my Sony BDP-S770 blu-ray player.
post #3646 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by guile9 View Post

I'm having the same issue with my Sony BDP-S770 blu-ray player.

Bummer but at the same time glad it's not just me.
Come on Sony, get your servers figured out.

*Update
Issue seems to be fixed.
I am able to connect now and watching a show on Netflix without issue.
post #3647 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD_23 View Post

Bummer but at the same time glad it's not just me.
Come on Sony, get your servers figured out.

*Update
Issue seems to be fixed.
I am able to connect now and watching a show on Netflix without issue.

Due to yesterday's weather, I lost several services. All seem to be back now. The east coast was was real wet and the west coast lost power for a while. We live in interesting times. Even with the problems, my TV found time to get a firmware update last night.
post #3648 of 3944
My S570 has only seen very light service (maybe 20 or 30 DVD's and a half dozen Blu Ray discs). It started freezing approximately 85 to 90 minutes into a disc. The discs are without blemish. One of them was the Avatar Blu Ray, straight out of the shrinkwrap.

Plus, any disc that stalls in the S570, plays flawlessly in my Playstation.

Any ideas / comments / suggestions anyone?

Have there been other reports on this issue?

Thanks for your input.
post #3649 of 3944
So after the M04.R.787 firmware update a couple weeks back, my BD copy of Last of the Mohicans gives me the red warning screen that I need to update my blu-ray player (it only does this if I open and close the disc bay). If I play the disc directly from the BDP's home menu it goes right to the black screen with the statement in white letters that all BD discs have, display this for about 7 or 8 seconds on the counter, then cuts to a black screen and the counter just goes to hash marks; no zeroes or anything.

It gave me the same red warning screen with the BD version of Big Trouble in Little China when I inserted it into the disc tray and closed it, but I did get it to play from the BDP's home menu. No such luck with LotM though.

Any suggestions?
post #3650 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIRybackII View Post

So after the M04.R.787 firmware update a couple weeks back, my BD copy of Last of the Mohicans gives me the red warning screen that I need to update my blu-ray player (it only does this if I open and close the disc bay). If I play the disc directly from the BDP's home menu it goes right to the black screen with the statement in white letters that all BD discs have, display this for about 7 or 8 seconds on the counter, then cuts to a black screen and the counter just goes to hash marks; no zeroes or anything.

It gave me the same red warning screen with the BD version of Big Trouble in Little China when I inserted it into the disc tray and closed it, but I did get it to play from the BDP's home menu. No such luck with LotM though.

Any suggestions?

I don't own those titles, but maybe try turning of BDLive, erasing BDLive data. If those don't work,try unplugging the player for a minute then resetting the player back to factory default, and erasing personal information from the settings menu.

Hope this helps!
post #3651 of 3944
Not sure I have a feature called BDLive. Which category would it be found under? I do see under the Video Category a folder called Erase BD Data though.
post #3652 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIRybackII View Post

Not sure I have a feature called BDLive. Which category would it be found under? I do see under the Video Category a folder called Erase BD Data though.

BDLive is under BDviewing options allow internet connection
post #3653 of 3944
Yeah, don't see anything like that in my list of choices.

Closest I've got is in the "Setup" section. Under "BD/DVD Viewing Settings" there's one called "BD Internet Connection" which gives me the option of "Allow" or "Do Not Allow."

I selected "Do Not Allow" and tried it again but still no luck.

Best I can still get is the "This Blu-Ray Disc has been manufactured to the latest Blu-Ray Disc standards..." screen for 7 seconds then it cuts to a black screen with hash marks on the counter.

So weird and aggravating.
post #3654 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIRybackII View Post
Yeah, don't see anything like that in my list of choices.

Closest I've got is in the "Setup" section. Under "BD/DVD Viewing Settings" there's one called "BD Internet Connection" which gives me the option of "Allow" or "Do Not Allow."

I selected "Do Not Allow" and tried it again but still no luck.

Best I can still get is the "This Blu-Ray Disc has been manufactured to the latest Blu-Ray Disc standards..." screen for 7 seconds then it cuts to a black screen with hash marks on the counter.

So weird and aggravating.
OK, well you found the correct option. But since that didn't correct the problem, then the issue isn't BDLive related. It was wroth a shot, as doing this corrects many playback issues.
post #3655 of 3944
My player with the latest FW update is now freezing up occasionally where nothing works. The only remedy is to unplug the unit. Anyone else experience this? That Oppo is sounding more and more appealing.
post #3656 of 3944
If I have a letterbox mkv file and us the free utility TSMuxer to turn it into a blu-ray disk then use Nero to burn that to a disk, when I play it on the player it shows stretched to fill the screen.

If I take that same mkv file and load it on a thumbdrive and play it on the same player, it shows letterboxed (black bars on top and bottom) like it should.

If I take that burned blu-ray disk and play it in my old-old Samsung blu-ray player, it shows letterboxed like it should.

If I put in a store-bought blu-ray movie that is letterboxed, it will play on this player as letterboxed.

I've tried fuddling through the display settings to see if something is forcing it to stretched mode.

If I perform the same operation on an mkv file that is standard widescreen then the burned blu-ray will show fine on my widescreen TV.

Does anyone have any experiences with this? I'm at the current firmware level. I've never had this problem until I got the BDP-S570. I wondered if there was an issue with TSMuxer-generated BDs and this player?

-Thanks!
post #3657 of 3944
I believe I've answered my own question while doing further research yesterday.

The original mkv file resolution is 1920x815 (or something like that) which is not the standard 1920x1080. Apparently this has been cropped (to remove the top/bottom black bars) and needs to be uncropped back to a compliant 1920x1080 resolution. I noticed that if I use a video converter software that the resultant output file is 1920x1080 but that takes a long time.

Supposedly there is a quick-fix program called uncropMKV but I was not successful in getting that to work last night.

I just wanted to report the answer to my own question with potential fixes. TSMuxer does not change the resolution so the output BD is also at the 1920x815 resolution which is why the player is stretching it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulcanAdmiral View Post

If I have a letterbox mkv file and us the free utility TSMuxer to turn it into a blu-ray disk then use Nero to burn that to a disk, when I play it on the player it shows stretched to fill the screen.

If I take that same mkv file and load it on a thumbdrive and play it on the same player, it shows letterboxed (black bars on top and bottom) like it should.

If I take that burned blu-ray disk and play it in my old-old Samsung blu-ray player, it shows letterboxed like it should.

If I put in a store-bought blu-ray movie that is letterboxed, it will play on this player as letterboxed.

I've tried fuddling through the display settings to see if something is forcing it to stretched mode.

If I perform the same operation on an mkv file that is standard widescreen then the burned blu-ray will show fine on my widescreen TV.

Does anyone have any experiences with this? I'm at the current firmware level. I've never had this problem until I got the BDP-S570. I wondered if there was an issue with TSMuxer-generated BDs and this player?

-Thanks!
post #3658 of 3944
I am working my way through this thread, but there are 120-plus pages of it, so I'm hoping someone can shorten my search

I have a Sony bdp-s570 and I am trying to view files from a USB thumb drive (I also ordered a USB hard drive for larger amounts of storage).
I am struggling to view ANY video files from my thumb drive. I have tried formatting the drive to NTFS, FAT32, EXFAT.
In most cases, the drive is not recognized. And when it is, there are 'no viewable files' on the drive.

the manual says the player can view AVI, MKV, M2TS etc., but I'm not seeing any evidence of that.

What am I missing or what am I doing wrong? Is there any write up on what the correct wrapper / file format / disk format is for USB file viewing with the latest firmware?
post #3659 of 3944
This is off topic. I'm testing Avs mobile app for iPhone. Does this show up?
post #3660 of 3944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post

I am working my way through this thread, but there are 120-plus pages of it, so I'm hoping someone can shorten my search

I have a Sony bdp-s570 and I am trying to view files from a USB thumb drive (I also ordered a USB hard drive for larger amounts of storage).
I am struggling to view ANY video files from my thumb drive. I have tried formatting the drive to NTFS, FAT32, EXFAT.
In most cases, the drive is not recognized. And when it is, there are 'no viewable files' on the drive.

the manual says the player can view AVI, MKV, M2TS etc., but I'm not seeing any evidence of that.

What am I missing or what am I doing wrong? Is there any write up on what the correct wrapper / file format / disk format is for USB file viewing with the latest firmware?

I don't know about music but VERY few video formats are supported. I was only able to play a standard definition MPEG2 video with the S570. My MKV,M2TS,AVI files are also not recognized by the player. Get a real media player, like the WD LIVE or any other. You gonna be frustrated if you think the S570 can replace a true media player.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread