or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 7

post #181 of 3227
Here maybe? http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...t/Contact-Us.2

Maybe someone else has an e-mail address to one of their engineers/office? I will send an e-mail later today. I thought I should upload a picture of the playback information window first, which makes it easier to explain.
post #182 of 3227
My G25 has Pandora, no Netflix; my BD85K has Netflix, no Pandora. Maybe a firmware update will fix this but in the meantime:

Is there any reason why I couldn't get a USB "Y" adapter cable and connect the WiFi dongle to both the TV and BD player?

Thanks.
post #183 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post

Is there any reason why I couldn't get a USB "Y" adapter cable and connect the WiFi dongle to both the TV and BD player?

Thanks.

Because USB is point-to-point digital connection like HDMI. You can'y use Y adapters. But did you try a USB hub?
post #184 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Because USB is point-to-point digital connection like HDMI. You can'y use Y adapters. But did you try a USB hub?

No, I haven't. I see if that'll work. Thanks.
post #185 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post

My G25 has Pandora, no Netflix; my BD85K has Netflix, no Pandora. Maybe a firmware update will fix this but in the meantime:

Is there any reason why I couldn't get a USB "Y" adapter cable and connect the WiFi dongle to both the TV and BD player?

Thanks.

Unlikely that it will work. The connected device has to query the router for an IP address, etc. The router will recognize the wireless adapter as being connected to a single device. Furthermore the Y-adapter is designed to split a signal not combine. It won't provide isolation between your G25 and the BD-85. It will be the same as if you direct-connected the two of them with a single USB cable. I don't think they would like that since they are not made to plug into one another. You may be taking a chance on frying the USB port of one of your devices.

To do what you want to do, you need a multi-port bridge router, not a USB wireless dongle.

Panasonic has it listed that NetFlix streaming under VieraCast will be available on the G25 this summer.
post #186 of 3227
Their press release stated a spring 10 release for the BDX2700 and 2500, but I haven't heard anything specific. A quick web search yielded nothing as well. Based on the specs it would be on my short list, but I can't find any info.
post #187 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Unlikely that it will work. The connected device has to query the router for an IP address, etc. The router will recognize the wireless adapter as being connected to a single device. Furthermore the Y-adapter is designed to split a signal not combine. It won't provide isolation between your G25 and the BD-85. It will be the same as if you direct-connected the two of them with a single USB cable. I don't think they would like that since they are not made to plug into one another. You may be taking a chance on frying the USB port of one of your devices.

To do what you want to do, you need a multi-port bridge router, not a USB wireless dongle.

Panasonic has it listed that NetFlix streaming under VieraCast will be available on the G25 this summer.

Thanks Kelson.

I'll just wait till Pandora is on the BD player. That will save me running a new cable from the TV to the reciever.
post #188 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8G View Post

Their press release stated a spring 10 release for the BDX2700 and 2500, but I haven't heard anything specific. A quick web search yielded nothing as well. Based on the specs it would be on my short list, but I can't find any info.



Shouldn't there be a Toshiba thread you can ask this in?
post #189 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Shouldn't there be a Toshiba thread you can ask this in?

Yeah, sorry. Wrong thread obviously.
post #190 of 3227
I am going to be buying a bd 65 (bedroom) and bd 85 (need analog 7.1 for a 2nd fam room). The bd85 will be hardwired to my network. Can the dongle that comes with the bd85 be used with the bd65 to give the bd65 wireless capability?

Thanks in advance...
Jasson
post #191 of 3227
IIRC, the 65 is setup to use the dongle, you just have to buy it separately.
post #192 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb1051 View Post

I am going to be buying a bd 65 (bedroom) and bd 85 (need analog 7.1 for a 2nd fam room). The bd85 will be hardwired to my network. Can the dongle that comes with the bd85 be used with the bd65 to give the bd65 wireless capability?

Thanks in advance...
Jasson

The "dongle" will work but it has to plug into the front of the BD65 and will stick out the front like a sore thumb unless you use the short USB / Adaptor that comes with the BD85. You still have to leave the door open and the USB plug and cord are still visible in the front of the BD65.
post #193 of 3227
I need a little advice on this bluray player. I've never owned a standalone player - I've just used my PS3 up to this point. Would this be an upgrade audio & video wise to the PS3? What about the speed of this player versus the PS3?

We seldom watch dvd's anymore, but I do have a pretty large collection of them so it would be nice if this had good upconverting abilities. How does this player compare to the PS3 in this regard?

My last question is in how this player compares with the BD65. I've paid attention to the previous panny players and I believe the higher models simply added analog audio outputs, but the video side used the same circuitry. Is that the case with this latest generation of players? I will only be using HDMI for the HD audio, so the analog audio isn't a feature I would make use of. As for ethernet connection, I will be using a hard-wire connection so I don't have a need for the wireless feature. Would this make the BD65 a smarter choice for what I'll be using it for?

Thanks in advance
post #194 of 3227
To me, the biggest deal the 85 offered was coming with the wireless dongle, which was important to me for Amazon and Nflix. I do not use the Analog audio, and bitstream everything to my Denon rcvr.

As far as speed, its been so long, I can't compare the 85 to the PS3.

As far as PQ goes, when I sold my PS3 and got a BD30, a couple of years ago, I noticed a better picture. When the BR players first came, the PS3 had about the best PQ and speed, but I think the standalones passed the PS3 on PQ a couple of generations ago. IMHO, its just not as sharp as the standalones.
post #195 of 3227
Hey Guys,

I am interested in this player but I don't think I fully understand a few things.

1) If I have Divx HD files on my computer, can I put those on a SD card or burn them to a DVD and watch them on this player in HD?

2) I am reading conflicting things about DLNA. If I buy this player here in the US will I have DLNA capabilities? If not, will it be available later?
post #196 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 View Post

Hey Guys,

I am interested in this player but I don't think I fully understand a few things.

1) If I have Divx HD files on my computer, can I put those on a SD card or burn them to a DVD and watch them on this player in HD?

2) I am reading conflicting things about DLNA. If I buy this player here in the US will I have DLNA capabilities? If not, will it be available later?

i can only help you with your second question.....if you buy a usa model the 85k will not have dlna capabilities. that is confirmed (fwiw) with panny support. they expressed no timeline to add this functionality. this is a big disappointment for me since it was advertised originally and since the same units outside the states seem to have dlna support. oh how the mighty have fallen!!
post #197 of 3227
Has anyone reviewed or discussed the potential performance differences between the85K with built-in WiFi radio/ant vs a 65K with an after market external ant and potentially better radio?

Trying to decide which unit to buy.
post #198 of 3227
hello...

First off I want to say that I am very satisfied with the PQ and Audio of the BD85! And the wireless streaming works great for me. And, I've got it ~150 ft. away from my router. I can even stream ~10 - 15 mins of HD before it starts to jitter! And that was even before the Firmware update.
post #199 of 3227
ElwayLite,
Thanks for all of the helpful information! The 7.1 Analog out and HD Netflix streaming were two major selling points for me, since I have a non-HDMI Denon receiver. I still wanted to be able to take full advantage of the 7.1 track on many BDs. (sorry if this is cluttering, but also need to get my 3 posts, so I can put in links in my next post)
post #200 of 3227
#3
post #201 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 View Post

Hey Guys,

I am interested in this player but I don't think I fully understand a few things.

1) If I have Divx HD files on my computer, can I put those on a SD card or burn them to a DVD and watch them on this player in HD?

2) I am reading conflicting things about DLNA. If I buy this player here in the US will I have DLNA capabilities? If not, will it be available later?

(Hope this is helpful)
Hey Natas777,

I am very interested in DivX question my self, and I am working on doing some testing, but according to Panny's web site The only input that it will not read DivX files from is the SD slot. I states that it will play DivX files from USB/CD/DVD-R (not +R)/DVD-R(DL) [not +R(DL)]/BR. But, I'm going to try putting the same file on various media and see what works/doesn't work. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm also interested to see if the DivX Plus HD (.mkv) files will play or not. Since the player only has the DivX HD symbol on it, but Panasonic says that they are partnering with DivX to make the next-generation DivX Plus HD player. We'll see....

later
post #202 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tja1 View Post

Has anyone reviewed or discussed the potential performance differences between the85K with built-in WiFi radio/ant vs a 65K with an after market external ant and potentially better radio?

Trying to decide which unit to buy.

They use the same USB dongle. Wi-Fi isn't "built-in" on the 85, the Wi-Fi antenna is just included with the 85 and you have to buy the exact same antenna for the 65. The 85 has a USB slot on the back of the unit to accept the Wi-Fi antenna and it is for the most part out of sight. On the 65, the same Wi-Fi antenna has to be plugged into the front of the unit and it looks like crap.

That being said, I can't see where one would have better Wi-Fi reception than the other.
post #203 of 3227
Just purchased the BD85, connected to Integra 9.9 processor via HDMI.

Question on audio settings on BD85...I have bitstream on since Integra can process higher audio formats. Since I'm outputting via HDMI do I need to be concerned with whether I select 7.1 or 2ch 5.1 in the setup menu?

I have a 7.1 setup.

Thanks in advance
post #204 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Just purchased the BD85, connected to Integra 9.9 processor via HDMI.

Question on audio settings on BD85...I have bitstream on since Integra can process higher audio formats. Since I'm outputting via HDMI do I need to be concerned with whether I select 7.1 or 2ch 5.1 in the setup menu?

I have a 7.1 setup.

Thanks in advance

The "7.1 or 2ch 5.1" is for ANALOG OUTPUT only. Set it to 7.1 if it still concerns you and you are covered.
post #205 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

The "7.1 or 2ch 5.1" is for ANALOG OUTPUT only. Set it to 7.1 if it still concerns you and you are covered.

Can somebody explain what "2ch 5.1" means, or is for? I have the player connected via analog to a Denon receiver that has 7.1 inputs but I am only using 5.1. I am using the 7.1 setting is this correct?

Thanks.
post #206 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by srehn View Post

Can somebody explain what "2ch 5.1" means, or is for? I have the player connected via analog to a Denon receiver that has 7.1 inputs but I am only using 5.1. I am using the 7.1 setting is this correct?

Thanks.

My understanding based on looking at the pdf of the manual (pages 9 & 12) is that when you set the player to "2ch (Downmix) + 5.1ch," the audio jacks labeled "2ch/surround back" are set to output a separate downmixed stereo output that is in addition to the 5.1 outputs. If you only have a 5.1 setup, it would make sense to use the "2ch (Downmix) + 5.1ch" setting and connect only the 5.1 outputs to your receiver, leaving the "2ch/surround back" outputs disconnected unless you wish to connect them to the stereo inputs of your TV for listening without using the receiver at all.

On the other hand, if you have a full 7.1 speaker setup, then you'll need to set the player to 7.1 output and connect all 8 cables to your receiver properly to get 7.1 output. That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong.
post #207 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

My understanding based on looking at the pdf of the manual (pages 9 & 12) is that when you set the player to "“2ch (Downmix) + 5.1ch," the audio jacks labeled "2ch/surround back" are set to output a separate downmixed stereo output that is in addition to the 5.1 outputs. If you only have a 5.1 setup, it would make sense to use the "“2ch (Downmix) + 5.1ch" setting and connect only the 5.1 outputs to your receiver, leaving the "2ch/surround back" outputs disconnected unless you wish to connect them to the stereo inputs of your TV for listening without using the receiver at all.

On the other hand, if you have a full 7.1 speaker setup, then you'll need to set the player to 7.1 output and connect all 8 cables to your receiver properly to get 7.1 output. That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong.

I think you are correct. That is the way I understand it also.
post #208 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

I think you are correct. That is the way I understand it also.

Thank you both for the quick reply.

Steve
post #209 of 3227
(esp. to Natas777)

I can now confirm several things. The new DivX Plus HD (.mkv) files do not play in any form on the BD85. Hopefully they my give it to us in a Firmware update, but doubtful. And, DivX play back was as claimed on the website! It will NOT read a Divx file using the SD card slot! But, it will play all* other DivX/DivX HD files via CD/DVD/BD/USB.

Also Natas777, I don't know why you were interested in DivX on SD, but if it is because you don't have a large enough USB flash dive to use with your DivX files, I can confirm that it will play your DivX files from the SD card if you use a USB card reader in the USB slot!

*I'm sure I can't say all, because there is always and exception, but as long as it is a .divx file, it should play.

I can also confirm that it also plays (Xvid) .avi files from USB also!
post #210 of 3227
I cant find one place that lists this clearly: The differences between the 65 and 85 models (aside from the dongle) are?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread