or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Justified" on FX HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Justified" on FX HD - Page 62

post #1831 of 3237
I know it may be sacrilege, but I think they should write Boyd Crowder out of the show. The stuff going on with Raylan is far more interesting. I really don't need another preacher-themed plot this season. It's old, it's tired.

Now, maybe that have a master plan to bring Boyd's story and Raylan's story back together, but right now it's like watching two shows: "Justified" about Raylan Givens, and "Backwoods Idiots" about everyone not immediately related to whatever Raylan Givens is going through. I want more Justified, less of the other thing. if they're going to tie the two plots together, please do it soon. Every minute not showing Raylan et al is a minute wasted.

I'd be ok if Boyd became an occasional recurring character. Kinda like Art only shows up from time to time.
post #1832 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I know it may be sacrilege, but I think they should write Boyd Crowder out of the show. The stuff going on with Raylan is far more interesting. I really don't need another preacher-themed plot this season. It's old, it's tired.

Now, maybe that have a master plan to bring Boyd's story and Raylan's story back together, but right now it's like watching two shows: "Justified" about Raylan Givens, and "Backwoods Idiots" about everyone not immediately related to whatever Raylan Givens is going through. I want more Justified, less of the other thing. if they're going to tie the two plots together, please do it soon. Every minute not showing Raylan et al is a minute wasted.

I'd be ok if Boyd became an occasional recurring character. Kinda like Art only shows up from time to time.
You're right....this post is sacrilegious.
post #1833 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I know it may be sacrilege, but I think they should write Boyd Crowder out of the show. The stuff going on with Raylan is far more interesting. I really don't need another preacher-themed plot this season. It's old, it's tired.

Now, maybe that have a master plan to bring Boyd's story and Raylan's story back together, but right now it's like watching two shows: "Justified" about Raylan Givens, and "Backwoods Idiots" about everyone not immediately related to whatever Raylan Givens is going through. I want more Justified, less of the other thing. if they're going to tie the two plots together, please do it soon. Every minute not showing Raylan et al is a minute wasted.

I'd be ok if Boyd became an occasional recurring character. Kinda like Art only shows up from time to time.
While I like the diversity, I sort of agree with you. Boyd and gang within Raylan's story arcs is appreciated and enjoyed. If left alone, not so much. I'm sure there will be an intersection, but hopefully, it won't be too much further down the road. That said, the first 4 eps of each season has been laying the ground work. After that, things generally start getting tighter.
post #1834 of 3237
I enjoy the entire show......not just one aspect of it.
post #1835 of 3237
I've always thought Boyd and Raylon were different sides of the same coin.
post #1836 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I've always thought Boyd and Raylon were different sides of the same coin.
Can't agree with that, but they work as frenemies. Raylan's a lawabiding gunslinger(for the most part) with a criminal father. He's got a clearly defined code that vacillates pending circumstances, but doesn't stray from the core. Boyd's born of a criminal clan. His morality is all over the place depending on what life changing occurences come up (and they have). It's a bit of Hatfields vs. McCoys with the Givens/Crowder clans, but there's mutual guarded respect between them, some likeability going both ways, but deep down no real sympathy.
post #1837 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Can't agree with that, but they work as frenemies. Raylan's a lawabiding gunslinger(for the most part) with a criminal father. He's got a clearly defined code that vacillates pending circumstances, but doesn't stray from the core. Boyd's born of a criminal clan. His morality is all over the place depending on what life changing occurences come up (and they have). It's a bit of Hatfields vs. McCoys with the Givens/Crowder clans, but there's mutual guarded respect between them, some likeability going both ways, but deep down no real sympathy.

Well, I disagree with you too. smile.gif Seriously, they each have moral codes that differ from the norm. Raylon's is based on the romantic image of the old west he got growing up where Boyd's is rooted in his own self interest. I could argue that Boyd's is more honest, but my real point is they both see themselves in the other. Sorta like the old Jimmy Cagny-Pat O'Brian movie that I've forgetten the name of, where one ends up a priest and the other on death row.
post #1838 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Can't agree with that, but they work as frenemies. Raylan's a lawabiding gunslinger(for the most part) with a criminal father. He's got a clearly defined code that vacillates pending circumstances, but doesn't stray from the core. Boyd's born of a criminal clan. His morality is all over the place depending on what life changing occurences come up (and they have). It's a bit of Hatfields vs. McCoys with the Givens/Crowder clans, but there's mutual guarded respect between them, some likeability going both ways, but deep down no real sympathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Well, I disagree with you too. smile.gif Seriously, they each have moral codes that differ from the norm. Raylon's is based on the romantic image of the old west he got growing up where Boyd's is rooted in his own self interest. I could argue that Boyd's is more honest, but my real point is they both see themselves in the other. Sorta like the old Jimmy Cagny-Pat O'Brian movie that I've forgetten the name of, where one ends up a priest and the other on death row.
You are both right....and both wrong.




No, I don't have any idea what that means...
post #1839 of 3237
Boyd and Raylan have their own particular moral code and a mutual respect for each other. Like of like Superman and Lex Luthor.

I come from a part of the country where there are honest-to-gosh snake handlers, back in them hollers. The local hospital - my dad was the Chief of Surgery - kept a supply of anti-venom handy for the inevitable times when the Holy Spirit took a day off. Every few years we'd lose one of 'em, but that never stopped them. They're still doing that crazy sh!t today. Amazing.
post #1840 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Boyd is a classic EL character; his books are filled with superbly drawn characters.
And WG really deserves an Emmy....or three.wink.gif

Precisely! Walton Goggins Boyd Crowder is a classic Elmore Leonard bad guy: A charming and articulate sociopath, but a weirdly likable one.
post #1841 of 3237
The scene with Boyd "testifying" in church just fresh out of prison in season 2 was, to me, the most captivating acting pyrotechnics I have seen in years. Seems like I read it was acting such as that which induced the producers to expand the character far beyond their original plans.
Edited by Distorted - 1/23/13 at 9:20pm
post #1842 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You're right....this post is sacrilegious.

Agreed. No f'in way do you write Boyd and his superb dialog out of this show. No way.
post #1843 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Agreed. No f'in way do you write Boyd and his superb dialog out of this show. No way.

Absolutely! Just thinking about what Boyd may say or do next gives me a viewer stiffy.smile.gif
post #1844 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Absolutely! Just thinking about what Boyd may say or do next gives me a viewer stiffy.smile.gif
LOL, I don't know about that, but I do understand your sentiments.
I just couldn't imagine Justified without Boyd.wink.gif
post #1845 of 3237
Marshall stiffies are a newly emerging theme in the last 2 episodes - reports of viewer stiffies may be cause for concern - similar to those "4 hour" warnings on many commercials. Tuesday's episode was outstanding - virtually the entire episode was quote worthy. Way back in the day - I knew people who would quote long stretches of dialog from "On the Waterfront". Justified has the potential to earn that level of devotion - or thinking in "Fahrenheit 451" terms - instead of people becoming talking avatars for specific books - they could represent TV shows, i.e Justified.
Edited by ggsantafe - 1/25/13 at 6:06am
post #1846 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Marshall stiffies are a newly emerging theme in the last 2 episodes - reports of viewer stiffies may be cause for concern - similar to those "4 hour" warnings on many commercials. Tuesday's episode was outstanding - virtually the entire episode was quote worthy. Way back in the day - I knew people who would quote long stretches of dialog from "On the Waterfront". Justified has the potential to earn that level of devotion - or thinking in "Fharenheit 451" terms - instead of people becoming talking avatars for specific books - they could represent TV shows, i.e Justified.

Let me hasten to explain that the viewer stiffy I described was strictly metaphorical.smile.gif
post #1847 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

... I knew people who would quote long stretches of dialog from "On the Waterfront."

And I thought I was old...but I could have been a contenda.
post #1848 of 3237
One of the advantages of a well written, long running series is you can rewatch it from a different POV where it becomes the story of a supporting character more than the supposed lead I've rewatched The Shield, for example. from Shane's point of view, seeing it as a well meaning cop corrupted by hero worship of his leader, being led down the path to his own destruction by blindly following Mackey's lead. Buffy can be taken as the story of Willow goingt frrom clueless nerd to all powerful witch, and I found Wesely's developme3nt on Angel much more interesting than the title character's own story. With Justified, for me, the snake bite scene in the church made me realize that the show is as much about Boyd as it is Raylon. We are following the moral journey of two characters, one good, one evil, and seeing them become more like each other as they follow their seperate paths. Don't get me wrong-Justified is still Raylon.s story. But by also focusing on Boyd the writers have added a moral complexity to the series that makes it special. Justifies would still be good without Boyd. But having him as counterpoint to Raylon makes it great, at least for me. It also sets up a whale of a showdown when the show appoaches the end of its run.
post #1849 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

With Justified, for me, the snake bite scene in the church made me realize that the show is as much about Boyd as it is Raylon. We are following the moral journey of two characters, one good, one evil, and seeing them become more like each other as they follow their seperate paths. Don't get me wrong-Justified is still Raylon.s story. But by also focusing on Boyd the writers have added a moral complexity to the series that makes it special. Justifies would still be good without Boyd. But having him as counterpoint to Raylon makes it great, at least for me. It also sets up a whale of a showdown when the show appoaches the end of its run.
Well said, sir.smile.gif
post #1850 of 3237

Justified is one of those rare shows that end and I find myself saying "it's over already?".  And as for retaining Boyd's story, I can no more imagine the show without him than I can without Raylan.  Nor am I bothered by them keeping Boyd and Raylan apart for now and I feel pretty sure they will eventually get them together as the season winds on.  It's most likely a writer's ploy to not overdo their connection while not keeping them apart forever.  Nice way to build anticipation too.

post #1851 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Justified is one of those rare shows that end and I find myself saying "it's over already?".  And as for retaining Boyd's story, I can no more imagine the show without him than I can without Raylan.  Nor am I bothered by them keeping Boyd and Raylan apart for now and I feel pretty sure they will eventually get them together as the season winds on.  It's most likely a writer's ploy to not overdo their connection while not keeping them apart forever.  Nice way to build anticipation too.
Agreed.
post #1852 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.

Me too. And thanks for the kind words oink smile.gif
post #1853 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Once more, since I'm not a listener, and snide host pile on remarks aside what did "Art" have to say relative to the show, Justified?


Sorry, late to the conversation.

I was listening that day to (part of) the conversation between Rush and Nick Searcy. One great story Nick shared was how Rush actually made a cameo on Justified. cool.gif

Nick has the Rush 24/7 app on his smart phone. While shooting a scene, Nick’s phone came on by accident and Rush’s voice came booming out disrupting the take. He said it was a pretty funny situation on the set. Timothy was upset and complained, “Geeze! Now we have Rush on this show?” And then Nick busted Timothy's chops for immediately recognizing Rush’s voice-- implying that Tmothy might be a closet listener. biggrin.gif

BTW, great season-- excellent writing. Kudos to Jardon and his talented son. cool.gif
post #1854 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

With Justified, for me, the snake bite scene in the church made me realize that the show is as much about Boyd as it is Raylon. We are following the moral journey of two characters, one good, one evil, and seeing them become more like each other as they follow their seperate paths..
Well the show is based on a novella titled "Fire in the Hole" which is a line screamed by Boyd wink.gif
post #1855 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Sorry, late to the conversation.

I was listening that day to (part of) the conversation between Rush and Nick Searcy. One great story Nick shared was how Rush actually made a cameo on Justified. cool.gif

Nick has the Rush 24/7 app on his smart phone. While shooting a scene, Nick’s phone came on by accident and Rush’s voice came booming out disrupting the take. He said it was a pretty funny situation on the set. Timothy was upset and complained, “Geeze! Now we have Rush on this show?” And then Nick busted Timothy's chops for immediately recognizing Rush’s voice-- implying that Tmothy might be a closet listener. biggrin.gif
I could say something (again), but I'll let this one go too.

Let's take a pledge NOT to mention RL on this thread again....
post #1856 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I could say something (again), but I'll let this one go too.

Let's take a pledge NOT to mention RL on this thread again....
rolleyes.gif Sorry the mere mention of the name gets peoples panties all bunched up (see Susquehana Hat Co.) but I was just respectfully answering the poster's question, which got side tracked with the snarky hate from some here. Three pages-- and with not one actual answer regarding the content between a great actor and an entertainer. rolleyes.gif Now I know why I haven't been around these parts in a while.
post #1857 of 3237
sigh...
post #1858 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

rolleyes.gif Sorry the mere mention of the name gets peoples panties all bunched up (see Susquehana Hat Co.) but I was just respectfully answering the poster's question, which got side tracked with the snarky hate from some here. Three pages-- and with not one actual answer regarding the content between a great actor and an entertainer. rolleyes.gif
If it wasn't for gwsat....

Quote:
Now I know why I haven't been around these parts in a while.
Thanx for sharing....
post #1859 of 3237
Please allow me to scratch this itch:

/pedant mode on

Raylan.

Not "Raylon."

"Raylon" sounds like something you'd make bicycle shorts out of.

Thank you.

/pedant mode off
post #1860 of 3237
Some of you guys need to start a Rush L. thread So we can stay on topic about "Justified"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Justified" on FX HD