or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Source Components › Panasonic's DMP-BDT350 3D BD Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic's DMP-BDT350 3D BD Player

post #1 of 476
Thread Starter 
This is Panasonic's 3D BD player and so far, it is unique for all the 3D BD players announced. It will have two HDMI outputs instead of just one.

The purpose of the second HDMI output is to make integration with existing 1.3 receivers easier/possible as long as you are willing to use your 3DTV to switch video for 3D.

Here is a picture of the back of the BDT350:



I sent an email to Panasonic to ask for a clarification of the two different HDMI connections on the back of the BDT350 3D BD player.

RE: But I have questions about it [T20100227006LS010Z68359]

Thank you for your interest in Panasonic products.
The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 will allow you to send the high-bandwidth 3D video directly to the display (TV) and the audio directly to the AV receiver via HDMI on seperate connections, one of these connections will give you the option of HD Audio only, so you are correct on this issue.
Please check on our website www.panasonic.com for further updates and availability of these units We hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

On February 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Lee Stewart (edited - my email address went here - has my real name) wrote:

I have a question about the up and coming BDT350 3D Blu-ray player. On the back of the unit, there are two HDMI output connections labeled MAIN and SUB.. Is my understanding of the output of each correct?

MAIN = 3D Video + HD Audio

SUB = HD Audio (TrueHD, DTS-MA) only - no 3D Video

Thank you for your time and consideration in answering my question. I look forward to your response.
post #2 of 476
Thanks Lee for taking the time and effort to generate these great threads for discussion and information!

dave
post #3 of 476
Should I be concerned with potential handshake or time sync delays if I use both connections to support my existing Denon AVR?

Is Vudu one of their online apps? The new Samsung apps have it listed, but it would be more of a pain to take audio back out of tv to avr.

Thanks
post #4 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r View Post

Should I be concerned with potential handshake or time sync delays if I use both connections to support my existing Denon AVR?

No
post #5 of 476
Thread Starter 
According to the press releases on Panasonic selling their 3DTV bundle at Best Buy today, this is the 3D BD player that they are selling (MSRP $399)

Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

http://dandygadget.com/2010/02/23/pa...y-disc-player/

It has the twin HDMI outputs like the BDT350. No idea what the differences are between the two players.

EDIT:

According to the HDGuru - no feature differences
post #6 of 476
I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru
post #7 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru

Hey Gary!

Thanks for stopping by and giving us the update. Greatly appreciated.

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...twork_Alliance
post #8 of 476
Perfect, now I just need BB to allow me to switch the Samsung BD player for the Panasonic in the starter kit promotional bundle! Doubt that's going to happen!
post #9 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson View Post

I updated the review. The DMP-BDT-350 offers DLNA connectivity, the DMP-BDT300 does not.

HD Guru

Is there any reason I might regret not waiting for the model that offers DLNA connectivity? I assume the TV itself has DLNA connectivity so would the only inconvenience be with regard to the connections between them? I assume the Blue-Ray player is not going to be communicating with any other DLNA equipped devices such as a computer. I do plan to utilize the Skype communication feature being promoted for the Panasonic TV but can't imagine it would be impacted in any way by not having DLNA for the Blue Ray Player, correct?
post #10 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Is there any reason I might regret not waiting for the model that offers DLNA connectivity? I assume the TV itself has DLNA connectivity so would the only inconvenience be with regard to the connections between them? I assume the Blue-Ray player is not going to be communicating with any other DLNA equipped devices such as a computer. I do plan to utilize the Skype communication feature being promoted for the Panasonic TV but can't imagine it would be impacted in any way by not having DLNA for the Blue Ray Player, correct?

How it works

http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/
post #11 of 476
I'm trying to future proof my equipment for 3D and In the market for a blu ray player now .

I don't have the funds to upgrade my AVR Denon 3802 anytime soon which doesn't have HDMI .

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 have optical outputs so I can send the audio portion to my AVR ?

I can send the video portion via the HDMI to my projector but how will I get the 5.1 audio if my AVR doesn't have HDMI..I'm hoping the BDT350 has Optical out.

My Panny ae4000u projector arrives next week and want to be able to play blu ray movies on it.

Thanks
post #12 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I'm trying to future proof my equipment for 3D and In the market for a blu ray player now .

I don't have the funds to upgrade my AVR Denon 3802 anytime soon which doesn't have HDMI .

Does the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 have optical outputs so I can send the audio portion to my AVR ?

I can send the video portion via the HDMI to my projector but how will I get the 5.1 audio if my AVR doesn't have HDMI..I'm hoping the BDT350 has Optical out.

My Panny ae4000u projector arrives next week and want to be able to play blu ray movies on it.

Thanks

The DMP-BDT350 (and probably the 300) have a Digital Optical Out:

http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/...bdt350-review/
post #13 of 476
Thread Starter 
According to the HDGuru, the MSRP of the BDT350 will be $449.99 while the MSRP for the BDT300 will be $399.99
post #14 of 476
Blue Rain
According to the user manual for your new PJ it does not support the new full 3D Blu-Ray formats since the maximum input buffer size is 1920x1080. See:

projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5240.pdf
post #15 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Blue Rain
According to the user manual for your new PJ it does not support the new full 3D Blu-Ray formats since the maximum input buffer size is 1920x1080. See:

projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5240.pdf

Hi

My projector is 1080p and all I want is to be able to watch 1080p movies and play Xbox games...not 3D at this time.

I know my projector isn't 3d and plan on upgrading the projector in 2 years to one thats 3D ready.

I can't afford to upgrade everything at once so I'll buy the blu ray (3D) now then in a year a new AVR with 1.4 HDMI and in 2 years a 3D projector.

So I will have the Blu ray player now and at the end of the year my AVR and the year after a new projector.

Or am I missing something ?
post #16 of 476
Thanks Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The DMP-BDT350 (and probably the 300) have a Digital Optical Out:

http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/...bdt350-review/
post #17 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Hi

My projector is 1080p and all I want is to be able to watch 1080p movies...not 3D at this time.

I know my projector isn't 3d and plan on upgrading the projector in 2 years to one thats 3D ready.

I can't afford to upgrade everything at once so I'll buy the blu ray (3D) now then in a year a new AVR with 1.4 HDMI and in 2 years a 3D projector.

So I will have the Blu ray player now and at the end of the year my AVR and the year after a new projector.

Or am I missing something ?

That's a great way to go, and is basically what I'm doing too.

Since 3D blu-rays play just fine on 2D displays and even on 2-D players, don't feel in any rush to even worry about the 3D blu-ray player just yet. All you need to do to "get on board" with moving in the right direction is be sure to buy the 3D blu-ray version over the 2D in the future if a studio happens to make a dual-release for some reason... that way you'll be investing in software you can take full advantage of layer (like buying anamorphic DVDs even before you get a 16x9 TV).

Then the *next time* you buy any new gear... whatever it may be... just make sure it's 3D compatible.

The Projector could easily be the last piece to that puzzle as PJ prices will come down the most over time and the technology will improve the most over time, so it makes sense to make that the final thing you get.
post #18 of 476
That's great to hear as I was getting concerned I might have missed something after all my research

Being the BDT350 is on the high end do you think I would be better off just buying a cheap Blu ray player instead of the BD 350 ?

Blockbuster doesn't even send out HD dvd's anymore ..they been sending me standard DVD's It seems most are Blu ray now .

They use to send HD dvd's which I was able to view on my XBOX..now I can't even view 1080i .

I already spent $2000 for projector and almost $1000 for screen. Not to mention this all started after my Mits 65 "HD RPTV died after 9 years ( Kind Of glad but she was faithful and wonderful all them years ) so I had to buy a cheap 1080p 40" screen TV which cost me $500... .Just so I could have something ...now I can't even watch HD movies because BB is sending me standard DVD's.

That's a total of $3500 dollars in a month. I'm not rich and work a 8-5 job and bust my cooly off just so I could get these things.

Won't be upgrading for another 9 years when I'm all said and done .

Do you think I should buy a plain bluray player (Not 3D) hoping in a few months the 3D version will come down in price ?

What would you do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

That's a great way to go, and is basically what I'm doing too.

Since 3D blu-rays play just fine on 2D displays and even on 2-D players, don't feel in any rush to even worry about the 3D blu-ray player just yet. All you need to do to "get on board" with moving in the right direction is be sure to buy the 3D blu-ray version over the 2D in the future if a studio happens to make a dual-release for some reason... that way you'll be investing in software you can take full advantage of layer (like buying anamorphic DVDs even before you get a 16x9 TV).

Then the *next time* you buy any new gear... whatever it may be... just make sure it's 3D compatible.

The Projector could easily be the last piece to that puzzle as PJ prices will come down the most over time and the technology will improve the most over time, so it makes sense to make that the final thing you get.
post #19 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

That's great to hear as I was getting concerned I might have missed something after all my research

Being the BDT350 is on the high end do you think I would be better off just buying a cheap Blu ray player instead of the BD 350 ?

Blockbuster doesn't even send out HD dvd's anymore ..they been sending me standard DVD's It seems most are Blu ray now .

They use to send HD dvd's which I was able to view on my XBOX..now I can't even view 1080i .

I already spent $2000 for projector and almost $1000 for screen. Not to mention this all started after my Mits 65 "HD RPTV died after 9 years ( Kind Of glad but she was faithful and wonderful all them years ) so I had to buy a cheap 1080p 40" screen TV which cost me $500... .Just so I could have something ...now I can't even watch HD movies because BB is sending me standard DVD's.

That's a total of $3500 dollars in a month. I'm not rich and work a 8-5 job and bust my cooly off just so I could get these things.

Won't be upgrading for another 9 years when I'm all said and done .

Do you think I should buy a plain bluray player (Not 3D) hoping in a few months the 3D version will come down in price ?

What would you do ?

If you aren't moving into 3D rapidly, I would suggest the Sony BDP-S470. It is a 3D ready (needs a firmware upgrade) and lists for $200. There may be other 3D ready Blu-ray players at lower prices later this year (adding 3D to a Blu-ray adds very, if any, little manufacturing cost).
post #20 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

If you aren't moving into 3D rapidly, I would suggest the Sony BDP-S470. It is a 3D ready (needs a firmware upgrade) and lists for $200. There may be other 3D ready Blu-ray players at lower prices later this year (adding 3D to a Blu-ray adds very, if any, little manufacturing cost).

Hmmmm

OK I do need a Blu ray player now .

Really don't want to spend big bucks at this time.

The Sony BDP-S470 sounds great and at $200 is right around where I really want to spend. Now I'm thinking for another $100 I could get a a PS3 for $299and I can play Blu Ray movies.

So that's where I'm at now..$200 or $300 ..Hmmmm

Decisions ...

Thanks so much for all your time
post #21 of 476
One question, if i have a 3D player but a 2D display, the movie would just look fine?, or the movie have some options to select 3D or 2D?.
post #22 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

One question, if i have a 3D player but a 2D display, the movie would just look fine?, or the movie have some options to select 3D or 2D?.

To see 3D you need a 3DTV. You would probably see the 3D movie in 2D because the 3D BD player didn't detect a 3DTV so it switches to 2D. All 3D BD's will play in any BD player but in 2D only. It's like 2 versions of the movie on the same disc - 2D and 3D
post #23 of 476
The full 3D Blu-ray players have a 2D outout option and when selected the player outputs only the left eye content recorded on the disk.
post #24 of 476
OK Thanks for the answer, i am considering buy this player, what is the estimated release date for it?.
post #25 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

OK Thanks for the answer, i am considering buy this player, what is the estimated release date for it?.

The BDT300 is in at best Buy (limited stores) now. the BDT350 gets released next month. problem is = no availability to 3D BD's.
post #26 of 476
Thread Starter 
Still can't find (if it exists) a user manual but I did find a firmware download for the BDT300/350 - 2 of them:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/index.html
post #27 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Still can't find (if it exists) a user manual but I did find a firmware download for the BDT300/350 - 2 of them:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/index.html

Curious what fixes those firmware downloads are intended to correct and/or whether additional features are being added. Anyone know? I do recall that in one of the tests of the TV itself there was a problem with the photo viewing feature such that it froze. Would be nice to know that has been addressed and corrected, assuming it was not simply unique to the test TV itself.
post #28 of 476
Thread Starter 
Found the Specifications for the DMP-BDT300 at Panasonic UK. No PDF manual available

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true
post #29 of 476
I got one on preorder for a low, low price
post #30 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I got one on preorder for a low, low price

You'll enjoy it. I love mine. Now if I can just get a 3D TV to go with it.

S~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Source Components
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Source Components › Panasonic's DMP-BDT350 3D BD Player