or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Have a box of Fermi (no, not a new cereal)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have a box of Fermi (no, not a new cereal) - Page 2

post #31 of 159
Quote:
GeForce GTX 470 will beat out HD 5850 and in some cases, even HD 5870 - for the price of HD 5850 - we were told that the ballpark figure is $299-349, while GTX 480 will run between $449-499.

That would be fair pricing.
post #32 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

That would be fair pricing.

Maybe for the 470 but only if it performs as promised. Everything so far has been guesses and pure PR BS from nvidia. Same goes for the 480.
post #33 of 159
It appears that the 480 might have 512 stream processors and be priced at $499. A TDP of 295 watts.

A 5-10% performance boost over the 5870 doesn't sound promising.
post #34 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

It appears that the 480 might have 512 stream processors and be priced at $499. A TDP of 295 watts.

A 5-10% performance boost over the 5870 doesn't sound promising.

That sounds about on par with a 295. I might pick one up anyways (and sell my 295), but only if it outputs full 5.1 audio over HDMI.
post #35 of 159
The 480 will apparently be a champ at handling tessellation and PhysX, so that would make it worthwhile for me. However, Metro 2033 will probably have it screaming for help at maximum settings.
post #36 of 159
I was waiting for the 470 but at $349 I think I'll go for a 5850 and do some O.C. and save the $$ to buy a nice gaming M&K
( Anyway I'll wait until the 26th to see the actual price at newegg)
post #37 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

It appears that the 480 might have 512 stream processors and be priced at $499. A TDP of 295 watts.

A 5-10% performance boost over the 5870 doesn't sound promising.

Updated information in that link now says there will only be 480 stream processors as previously reported elsewhere. This supposedly contributes to lowering the TDP to 250W. Who knows how long it will take for nVidia to produce a non-crippled version.
post #38 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Confirmed: GTX 480 to have 480 cores

Not sure if I'll want to upgrade my GTX 295 for this now. I'll have to wait and see how actual performance results turn out. Might wait one more gen.

You'll be paying quite a bit (IMO) for about a 15% gain.

On a side note, I saw a release date of March 26th and pricing. Here's link.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-g...aled/8635.html
post #39 of 159
So does anyone know if these new fermi cards output HD audio over HDMI like the 5XXX series cards?

I already own an HD5870, but I am very curious about this.
post #40 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN_plyR View Post

So does anyone know if these new fermi cards output HD audio over HDMI like the 5XXX series cards?

I already own an HD5870, but I am very curious about this.

Supposedly they will, but no one knows for certain until they're released. If they do they will not bitstream like the ATI cards but just output PCM.
post #41 of 159
Why would the older ATI cards do it and not the newer Nvidia cards?
post #42 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Why would the older ATI cards do it and not the newer Nvidia cards?

Do what? Bitstream or output sound at all? Since the GT2xx series outputs PCM audio, Nvidia will most likely use that platform for audio on the Fermi line, and that's PCM output only (no bitstreaming). That said, there has only been one box seen so far that alludes to audio output, and no one knows for certain whether that was legit.
post #43 of 159
Bitstreaming. I mean it really doesn't matter in the end but I'm sure some would care.
post #44 of 159
Thread Starter 
Still tempted to go down to PAX this weekend, but I probably won't because I want to avoid the crowds (and I feel I'm a bit old for this sort of thing already).

I just might throw in the towel and buy two 480s anyways.
post #45 of 159
I think this maybe the 1st time I will not get a Nvidia card when its releases. The initial GTX480 release will only have 480 cores instead of the possible 512 due to low yields of the GPU. So Nvidia is using the none 100% perfect GPUs and only activating 480 cores. Later rev/ver may have the 512 core when the foundry gets its act together. Just a heads up. Maybe late summer/fall 2010 for the 512 versions (????).
post #46 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

I think this maybe the 1st time I will not get a Nvidia card when its releases. The initial GTX480 release will only have 480 cores instead of the possible 512 due to low yields of the GPU. So Nvidia is using the none 100% perfect GPUs and only activating 480 cores. Later rev/ver may have the 512 core when the foundry gets its act together. Just a heads up. Maybe late summer/fall 2010 for the 512 versions (????).

I will likely wait for a non-crippled version as well. I'm a single-GPU user, so every stream processor counts.
post #47 of 159
Thread Starter 
Yeah, maybe I'll do that too. It's just that I'll end up buying a HDMI soundcard anyways and almost seems like a waste of money.
post #48 of 159
I love how nVidia suddenly squeezed out a good amount of performance for Crysis Warhead with the latest drivers. It looks like they are ready for the Fermi benchmarks.

Despite a claimed 13% boost for Crysis Warhead in single-GPU configurations, I'm seeing an increase even greater than that with my GTX 285. With the very highest settings (and 16xAF/0xAA) at 1080p, my minimum frame-rates went from around 20fps to around 30-35fps. More importantly, the game just plays much more smoothly. I'm playing at around 40-60fps much more often than not.
post #49 of 159
Thread Starter 
HardOCP reviews
PCGamesHardware

Meh. Seems the 480 SLI is the only thing worth buying here, and it's way too expensive for what you get. Apparently no audio output either, so I guess I'll just buy that HDMI audio card for my 295.
post #50 of 159
Yeah I saw the HardOCP review, SLI GTX480 is the way to go. But at what a cost...????? Even tho hardOCP seem to be having a luv affair with AMD/ATI right now, they still noted that when it comes to multi GPU Nvidia rules.
post #51 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Meh. Seems the 480 SLI is the only thing worth buying here, and it's way too expensive for what you get. Apparently no audio output either, so I guess I'll just buy that HDMI audio card for my 295.

Why not just get a plain jane sound card and connect using the the built in SPDIF connection on the 295 and out put via the HDMI on the vid card. Maybe cheaper then a HDMI sound card. I have the ASUS HDMI one and since mine is only PCI I can not use it on my main gaming rig since its only has PCI-E slots. But then I don't use HDMI on my gaming rigs. Bought it orginally for testing on a HTPC but for some reason I stop using it.
post #52 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Why not just get a plain jane sound card and connect using the the built in SPDIF connection on the 295 and out put via the HDMI on the vid card. Maybe cheaper then a HDMI sound card. I have the ASUS HDMI one and since mine is only PCI I can not use it on my main gaming rig since its only has PCI-E slots. But then I don't use HDMI on my gaming rigs. Bought it orginally for testing on a HTPC but for some reason I stop using it.

That's not going to work for me because I won't get true 5.1 output on games. The Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim supports true bitrstreaming output and DS3D (128 voices) and DS3D GX 2.5 (realtime EAX-DS3D wrapper) in hardware. Unfortunately this is the only way to do it on a Nvidia card (that's not a GT22x based one).
post #53 of 159
My overpriced Auzentech HomeTheater HD is suiting me well for HDMI audio. No problems with games (true EAX support is a plus) and bit-stream with PowerDVD.
post #54 of 159
post #55 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

My overpriced Auzentech HomeTheater HD is suiting me well for HDMI audio. No problems with games (true EAX support is a plus) and bit-stream with PowerDVD.

Yeah, I don't need so much though, and the Asus Slim starts at ~$100 less. Unfortunately it's PCI only so I'd better hope PCI motherboards stick around for a while (or I'll have to upgrade the card once I upgrade my mobo).
post #56 of 159
Anandtech's review. Their analysis tells a more thorough story.

The numbers are quite good at times. However, the noise levels are unacceptable for me.
post #57 of 159
Thread Starter 
Maybe people will start dumping their 295s on eBay and I'll be able to pick up a 2nd one for cheap? I'll have to keep my eye out.

Edit- Nevermind- it does indeed appear the cards output PCM audio. Tom's was the only review that bother to mention that fact- a major oversight on all the other websites reviews.

Quote:


Moreover, it’s no longer necessary to use an S/PDIF cable to enable HDMI audio input. GF100 (like the GT 220 and GT 240) supports HDMI audio over PCI Express, enabling multi-channel LPCM. TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be bitstreamed, as they can with AMD’s Radeon HD 5000-series and Intel’s Clarkdale-based Core i3/Core i5 CPUs. You can’t get lossless audio out of a GF100-based card, but again, that probably won’t matter in any way until the Fermi architecture is miniaturized in a big way.

Now I'm unsure as of what to do. If I can pick up a HDMI card cheap I'll probably do that, but it appears a single GTX 480 won't really be any faster than my 295...
post #58 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Anandtech's review. Their analysis tells a more thorough story.

The numbers are quite good at times. However, the noise levels are unacceptable for me.

agreed.... but with that temps and power consumption ATI should be the "green" company
post #59 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post


Now I'm unsure as of what to do. If I can pick up a HDMI card cheap I'll probably do that, but it appears a single GTX 480 won't really be any faster than my 295...

True there...maybe 10% at most. Not worth the upgrade until we see a dual Fermi card. Maybe 6 months at least.
post #60 of 159
Thread Starter 
Most likely there won't be a dual Fermi card (at least with the current iteration) because it pumps out too much voltage/heat, so SLI is the best way to go.

Hopefully nvidia will be quick to nail these problems down and put out a 512 core card that uses less power within the next 6 months and works from there. Then I might consider upgrading.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Have a box of Fermi (no, not a new cereal)