or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 46

post #1351 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Like everything else in life. I didn't think I was buying a toaster.

Hmmm.... and here I thought the 7400 WAS a toaster! (J/K)

Glad to hear you like the Premiere. I really didn't 'get' all the Tivo talk until I got mine and I'm very happy with it as well.
post #1352 of 3301
So my Premiere got the upfated HD guide last nite. Seems a little buggy...
If I bring up the guide while watching live tv, it begins with the current channel. If I bring it up while watching a recorded show, it starts at channel 1. I'd rather it go to the current live channel like before.

Also I have a manual repeated entry that records the 10pm news m-f. Yeah I could have used a season pass but I don't. It is not marked ion the grid with a check or double check mark. So if I go to one of those entries and hit record, it doesn't ask "record as planned" (it is in the todo list), but wants to record it, I tried record for the heck of it and it made a duplicate recording entry in the to do list.

Then I hit record on a grid entry and after it processed it, it went back to ch 1 again! Remembered the date and time where I was at but not the channel.
post #1353 of 3301
Does anyone besides me have TiVo's that still have not received the update? I have one unit that updated on Jan 10th, but my other two units are still on the old software . . .
post #1354 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Does anyone besides me have TiVo's that still have not received the update? I have one unit that updated on Jan 10th, but my other two units are still on the old software . . .

Margret tweeted that all boxes should have it by the middle of the week. They are sending it out in batches every day.

Quote:


TiVo Margret Schmidt@ tivodesign
@motech Most likely they weren't in the batch that was authorized for the update today. There will be new batches authorized daily.

Quote:


TiVo Margret Schmidt@ tivodesign
@speiser11 Everyone should have it by Wednesday. We authorized a big chunk in the last 20 minutes or so. More tomorrow.
post #1355 of 3301
I received the update yesterday.
Seems fine to me
I like the smaller progress bar.
post #1356 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Margret tweeted that all boxes should have it by the middle of the week. They are sending it out in batches every day.

My DVR2 and DVR3 updated overnight. So that's it for me... 3 for 3.
post #1357 of 3301
Does anybody who received the update have there TiVo's from RCN? As of last night neither of my two premiers have received the update yet. Curious if I just have not been part of the batch of model numbers to be updated yet or if it's due to RCN screwing things up as usual, which I know shouldn't matter cause they connect to the TiVo network for updates.
post #1358 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy542 View Post

Does anybody who received the update have there TiVo's from RCN? As of last night neither of my two premiers have received the update yet. Curious if I just have not been part of the batch of model numbers to be updated yet or if it's due to RCN screwing things up as usual, which I know shouldn't matter cause they connect to the TiVo network for updates.

According to the RCN reps on BBR, RCN TiVos won't get the update until April/May when it reaches 20.1. RCN pushes their software on their own via TiVo. I just got 14.9.2 on my Premiere last week.
post #1359 of 3301
The software TiVo just released is 20.2
post #1360 of 3301
Sorry 21.0 is what RCN will deploy.
post #1361 of 3301
Thanks for the info. Doesn't surprise me RCN does things at their own pace.
post #1362 of 3301
What does "First Aired" mean? To me it either means something other than the obvious, or else there must be an ongoing glitch in the TiVo Listings?

I took all of the attached pictures yesterday evening, 1/25/12.

The "CriminalMindsRerun" picture I attached shows the "First aired" date of 10/11/11. That indicates that it is a rerun that maybe first aired on 10/11/11.

The "CriminalMindsNew" picture shows a "First aired" date of 1/24/12. This show is not a rerun, it did not air on 1/24/12. Why does TiVo say it did?

The same 1/24/12 "First aired" date appears in all the listings for other shows that I can identify as being "new". I've attached pictures from American Idol, Touch, and also the screen from pressing the "Info" button during Inside Edition, the show that was on at the time I took the pictures. These shows have not aired previously.

Am I missing something here? Has TiVo been like this forever, or is this new with the new update? I guess it's not a big deal once you understand that the dates are always wrong, but why must they be wrong?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #1363 of 3301
It can only go by the guide data that Tribune gives it. Usually it's pretty accurate but occasionally there can be problems with the guide data.

Over the last 10+ years it's been extremely rare I've had issues with it. Although I did have an issue recently with the show Lost girl I set to record. I set it for new only, but it wasn't recording the shows from Sci-Fi. But I found out that was because the show is not new, it originally aired in Canada(I think that was where.) in 2010 but SyFy just got the series. So it was technically a repeat. Once I changed the SP to record reruns it started recording the show.
post #1364 of 3301
^^^

Ok, so I guess Tribune must be located somewhere across the International Date Line or something. I've noticed this for weeks, not just yesterday. It just finally got to the point that I had to ask "Why???" . . .

The other thing I've noticed is that the audio (in the Listing) is always indicated as "Stereo". Tribune must not have 5.1 audio where they live either . . .
post #1365 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Ok, so I guess Tribune must be located somewhere across the International Date Line or something. I've noticed this for weeks, not just yesterday. It just finally got to the point that I had to ask "Why???" . . .

I believe this bug came with version 20.2... they are working on resolving it.

3.2.1.8 Programs marked as "new" show their first aired date as 1 day before behind the actual date the program is airing. Also, the "new" labels will sometimes disappear when switching to/from grid style to/from live style.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post8891071
post #1366 of 3301
I had a problem with the last season of Friday Night Lights on NBC. I missed most of the last half of the season because it was set to "new only". For some reason, the new broadcast episodes weren't recording, and I found it was because they had aired previously on DirecTV.

I've learned not to use "new only".
post #1367 of 3301
Same applies to Merlin, Top Gear, and pretty much any other 'new to us' BBC America show, because the first aired date is when it showed on BBC months earlier. For some stupid reason they keep this date when showing them on BBCA, an entirely different channel.

This is a good forum to keep an eye on over at TCF for season pass alerts like these.
post #1368 of 3301
What is the remote code to program the TiVo remote for a Samsung plasma and C450 soundbar? The Samsung TV remote controls both the TV and the soundbar.
post #1369 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

What is the remote code to program the TiVo remote for a Samsung plasma and C450 soundbar? The Samsung TV remote controls both the TV and the soundbar.

Have you gone through the setup of the remote on the TiVo? You choose your brand and device and it lists the codes for you to try onscreen.
post #1370 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Have you gone through the setup of the remote on the TiVo? You choose your brand and device and it lists the codes for you to try onscreen.

Yea, tried that, problem solved. TiVo remote now controls Samsung TV and soundbar. But now I have another problem regarding program info.
post #1371 of 3301
Very pleased with most aspects of TiVo Premiere. Excellent pic quality, nice menu interface that convienently integrates cable and OTA antenna channels. However, it will not receive program info for clear qam HD locals, and OTA antenna channels, both local and regional markets. It will only provide info for analog cable channels only. We have expanded basic cable from Charter with the cable connected directly into the TiVo box, no cable card or tuning adapter. We have paid for the subscription service, so we should be getting more complete program info. Trying to avoid having to rescan because it takes a long time to tune all the cable and OTA channels. Have run the connect to TiVo process several times. What is the problem here?
post #1372 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Very pleased with most aspects of TiVo Premiere. Excellent pic quality, nice menu interface that convienently integrates cable and OTA antenna channels. However, it will not receive program info for clear qam HD locals, and OTA antenna channels, both local and regional markets. It will only provide info for analog cable channels only. We have expanded basic cable from Charter with the cable connected directly into the TiVo box, no cable card or tuning adapter. We have paid for the subscription service, so we should be getting more complete program info. Trying to avoid having to rescan because it takes a long time to tune all the cable and OTA channels. Have run the connect to TiVo process several times. What is the problem here?

You will need a cable card from your cable company to convert/decode the raw QAM channels to whole numbers expected by the TiVo Guide. You don't have to get the cable card, but the guide expects you to have one. Same story with TVGOS. Card rental varies by zipcode, but usually under $5. The prices I have seen run from $0 to $6 per month. The price can usually be found on the company's web site. And they usually charge for the installation.

It's unusual for the OTA channels from your antenna to not match the guide. Recheck your zipcode.
post #1373 of 3301
Also, does TiVo have a Channel Add or Add Scan feature for OTA antenna channels? Because I believe when you do the lengthy channel scan, it overides the previous scan. And when you tune to the RF frequency, it will tune to the given channel, but not necessarily place it into the permanent channel guide menu. There are 2 distant channels I may receive only at night, so when I do antenna work I need to know if I should do complete rescans only at night. At least the 7400 had an Add Scan.
post #1374 of 3301
When you put in your zipcode it should list all available channels for that area. Then all you need to to is put a checker next to it to be in your channel list. So even if you can't receive it, it could be in your channel list.

You can also try another zip code that could have more channels available on the list if that zip is closer to certain stations. Which is what happens in my area if you have a good antenna and are able to pull in stations from DC and Baltimore. A zip closer to To the city will list stations from both areas.
post #1375 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When you put in your zipcode it should list all available channels for that area. Then all you need to to is put a checker next to it to be in your channel list. So even if you can't receive it, it could be in your channel list.

You can also try another zip code that could have more channels available on the list if that zip is closer to certain stations. Which is what happens in my area if you have a good antenna and are able to pull in stations from DC and Baltimore. A zip closer to To the city will list stations from both areas.

I have thought of doing that. But won't that mess up my cable channel listings? I want to receive OTA channel listings for my designated Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market, as well as neighboring Charlotte. Gaffney, SC would work for antenna listings, but their cable channel assignments are somewhat different.
post #1376 of 3301
You need to assign an OTA-only channel guide based on your zip and just accept that you won't get any listings for clear QAM. Tivo never provided the capability to map those channels in the guide, although it was asked for many times.
post #1377 of 3301
Yea I realize the clear qam listings are not possible, but I still want my analog cable listings and my OTA antenna listings from both markets that I receive. Still working on that. Called and had them add some Charlotte channels to the data base, but they said it could take about a week to appear.
post #1378 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I have thought of doing that. But won't that mess up my cable channel listings? I want to receive OTA channel listings for my designated Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market, as well as neighboring Charlotte. Gaffney, SC would work for antenna listings, but their cable channel assignments are somewhat different.


In my example, the other zip also includes the channels received from my zip code as well as more channels from a neighboring city.

If the other zipcode doesn't include the channels in your area then you can't use it.
post #1379 of 3301
Changed the zip this morning and now have correct channel info from both markets right away. Antenna info and complete cable listings as well. Only 2 local cable acces channels were no longer accurate, but I don't care about that. And I know how to manually tune clear qam if I need it, but will mainly use the OTA channels.
post #1380 of 3301
Tried searching for couldn't find anything relevant

Is their any alternative to the WD My Book AV DVR expander.

If not it seems like it is out of stock most places including WD...I think Sams Club had them on clearance due to being discontinued(might not have been the AV one but was defintely was the My Book series). Are they coming out with something new. This was before the flood in Thailand that hurt the hard drive market.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic