or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 6

post #151 of 3301
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

It would have been really nice if they could have released this using the new BCM7125. I know the turnaround time would have been a little too short, but that particular Broadcom SoC has native flash acceleration which would keep it off the main CPU so the UI would have been really smooth and there would have been a ton more CPU power to do background tasks.

The Flash capabilities of the BCM7125 and the BCM7413 are the same. The reality is that Broadcom is still working to optimize the Flash environment for their platform. Adobe provides the platform to each of their partners and it is their responsibility (with Adobe's assistance) to optimize it.

The only Broadcom solution with better Flash performance is the new BCM7410/BCM7420, but that would've delayed the Premiere until late in the year.
post #152 of 3301
picking up a Premier XL at my local BB tomorrow. went by there today and they had them in stock. talked to the manager, put my name on one and he put it away for safe keeping until Sunday.

got the cable company coming by Sunday afternoon to install the cable card. we will see how everything goes. keeping my fingers crossed.
post #153 of 3301
BE sure to come back here and gives us your review!!
post #154 of 3301
ugh, Brighthouse showed up without a cable card then had to call tech level 2 to get the cable card.... tech level 2 showed up with cable card but no tuning adapter....

tuning adapter is being installed tomorrow. right now, we have Tivo with standard channels plus some HD channels and some premium channels. missing about 45 HD channels due to lack of tuning adapter.

regarding the Tivo box, nice unit, plugged it up via ethernet to my wireless N bridge. seamless transition to the internet, the software updates and Tivo stuff is extremely slow to load. the download speed is Not the issue, it's the box that's the issue. overall, after the updates and initial install,all is well. just waiting on Brighthouse to bring me the tuning adapter so i can have all the HD channels.

box is very, very slow when doing a reboot.

love the guide and interface. got it locked up once and had to unplug to reboot.
post #155 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR23 View Post

ugh, Brighthouse showed up without a cable card then had to call tech level 2 to get the cable card.... tech level 2 showed up with cable card but no tuning adapter....

tuning adapter is being installed tomorrow. right now, we have Tivo with standard channels plus some HD channels and some premium channels. missing about 45 HD channels due to lack of tuning adapter.

What is a tuning adapter and why is it needed?
post #156 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

What is a tuning adapter and why is it needed?

For systems with Switched Digital Video.

How Switched Digital Video Works
post #157 of 3301
Is the $199 lifetime subscription upgrade deal only if you buy from tivo directly? Was wondering if I get that if I buy from amazon?
post #158 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

Is the $199 lifetime subscription upgrade deal only if you buy from tivo directly? Was wondering if I get that if I buy from amazon?

Yes.

No.
post #159 of 3301
They started shipping the units today from TiVo.com. I got tracking info for my eight premiere shipments.
post #160 of 3301
got tracking, getting my XL on Wednesday.
post #161 of 3301
Received mine from Weaknees last night about 6pm. This is my first TiVo.

Took about two hours to get it all connected, the cable card installed and configured and the unit updated with listing information and a software update.

Didn't have much time to mess with it after that. But I did have one problem in that this morning I noticed that the digital cable channels were not showing up (they worked last night). Called the cable company and ended up rebooting the box (it took quite some time for a reboot). That fixed it. Hope this isn't going to be a regular necessity.
post #162 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan2 View Post

Took about two hours to get it all connected, the cable card installed and configured and the unit updated with listing information and a software update.

So much for increased speed. Two hours to set up is ridiculous.
post #163 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post

So much for increased speed. Two hours to set up is ridiculous.

I'm new to TiVo but to me it didn't seem that bad.

That two hours included the time it took me to connect the cables and establish the network connection. That took a few minutes because I installed a moca adpater for the first time and ended up having to power it down and back on. It also includes the time I was on hold with Comcast waiting for a representative and then the time it took them to get the cablecard working.

By the way, my cablecard hung up again for the second time. I talked to TiVo support and it seems likely that the problem is with the cablecard and not the TiVo box. If it fails again I will probably have to replace the card.
post #164 of 3301
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger View Post

So much for increased speed. Two hours to set up is ridiculous.

It is a bit ridiculous. But be aware that some of that time is spend downloading and installing new software.
post #165 of 3301
And the initial install/setup is only done once.
post #166 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And the initial install/setup is only done once.

Unfortunately I'll have to do it eight times since I have eight Premieres headed my way. Then I have to setup the season Passes.
post #167 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Unfortunately I'll have to do it eight times since I have eight Premieres headed my way. Then I have to setup the season Passes.

Yes, well, you're not the typical user aaronwt.
post #168 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It is a bit ridiculous. But be aware that some of that time is spend downloading and installing new software.

If it were installing hardware, like a satellite dish and cable run, I'd be more forgiving. I can have a Vista/W7 machine up and running with drivers installed in less time.
post #169 of 3301
Some people like to savor the out-of-box experience of a new toy. I probably spent 4 hr setting up my TiVo HD when I got it -- slowly unpacking, inspecting every inch, reading instructions and fussing over exact placement of the unit and the cable runs.

Yank it out of the box, throw it on the shelf, plug it in and go -- now where's the fun in that.
post #170 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...reading instructions...

Ever since I've had broadband, whenever I buy a consumer electronics device I've researched it to make sure it's going to work for my situation and I've downloaded the .pdf of the operators manual and read it. I track the shipment and the day before it arrives I prep the area it will be seated. I just follow the Quick Start Guide while I'm doing the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yank it out of the box, throw it on the shelf, plug it in and go -- now where's the fun in that.

I have far more "fun" actually using a device rather than setting it up. That is the reason I bought it after all.

According to this post @ TCF, 25 mins to setup, but 2 hours to index, which jogged my memory about standalone TiVos. The DirecTiVos started recording Suggestion shortly after connecting. Guess that was the difference in being fully integrated.
post #171 of 3301
I saw the Premiere in person for the first time at BB today (my two Premiere XLs from TiVo.com are supposed to get here tomorrow). They look so cheap in person compared to the TiVo Series 3/HD. Kinda like how the slim PS3 looks compared to the original 60GB.
post #172 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

I saw the Premiere in person for the first time at BB today (my two Premiere XLs from TiVo.com are supposed to get here tomorrow). They look so cheap in person compared to the TiVo Series 3/HD. Kinda like how the slim PS3 looks compared to the original 60GB.

I just got one and it's downloading the new HD-UI as I type this.

I wouldn't call the box "cheap", but "nondescript" would be pretty accurate.
post #173 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I just got one and it's downloading the new HD-UI as I type this.

I wouldn't call the box "cheap", but "nondescript" would be pretty accurate.


The part where the shiny meets matte black looks like crap. I'm sure I'll get over it though. It's not like I've got a choice.
post #174 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post


The part where the shiny meets matte black looks like crap. I'm sure I'll get over it though. It's not like I've got a choice.

The Premiere looks so much better than the TiVoHD. And it's smaller which is also better.
Although I liked the S3 models best. All mine will hopefully be gone in a few weeks leaving me only the Premiers.
post #175 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

I saw the Premiere in person for the first time at BB today (my two Premiere XLs from TiVo.com are supposed to get here tomorrow). They look so cheap in person compared to the TiVo Series 3/HD. Kinda like how the slim PS3 looks compared to the original 60GB.

I don't see how it looks any cheaper than the HD. It's got a centered logo which is nice. Doesn't have the extraneous silver off center framing, which I never liked. Looks sleek and fits well into a stack.
post #176 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post


The part where the shiny meets matte black looks like crap. I'm sure I'll get over it though. It's not like I've got a choice.

Looks like they didn't take off the covering on the front before they took the pic. It doesn't look like that.
post #177 of 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

The part where the shiny meets matte black looks like crap. I'm sure I'll get over it though. It's not like I've got a choice.

Sorry about that - mine doesn't have that rough, white edge of the front strip.

Isn't there a plastic protection film covering that plastic strip to remove?
post #178 of 3301
I can't even count the number of devices I've seen in peoples homes where they left that plastic covering on for some reason. That is the first thing I take off when I get any electronic device.
post #179 of 3301
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Isn't there a plastic protection film covering that plastic strip to remove?

There is clearly a plastic film covering the plastic strip. I haven't tried to take mine off.

It reminds me of the plastic protection film on my Popcorn Hour. It looks like it is meant to be removed, but there's no obvious place to grab to pull it off.
post #180 of 3301
correct. the plastic strip has not been removed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic