or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 51

post #1501 of 3305
I received an email from TiVo earlier this week, which was supposedly sent to a small number of TiVo users. The email included a link to a survey, which I started to complete. About 6 or 8 questions into the survey I decided to stop, and emailed them the following instead . . .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: TiVo subscriber survey -- your opinion counts

I started to answer the questions in your survey, but quickly gave up when I realized that the survey presented the questions in a manner skewed to produce the results that you wanted to achieve. In particular, the question that prompted me to immediately quit the survey was the one that pertained to "how do you receive your TV programming" with the choices being "Cable, Satellite, U-verse, or OTA". I can tell you that I receive programming by Cable, but I also receive programming via OTA.. and that option is VERY VERY important to me. It is obvious that TiVo does not want to support OTA, a fact made clear by the total lack of OTA capability in the latest TiVo offering, the Premier Elite. It was apparent that I could not choose "both" as a response to the survey question, and the survey was designed in such a way that the participant could not see the path that the questioning would follow after his or her initial answer was given. Send me a reasonable survey and I will participate.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tivo
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 6:30 PM
To:
Subject: TiVo subscriber survey -- your opinion counts


Dear TiVo Subscriber,

Do you have a few minutes to participate in a survey? It is only being sent to a small group of TiVo subscribers, so your participation really counts. When you complete the survey, we'll enter you in a drawing to win a grand prize $200 Amazon.com gift card or one of 3 $50 Amazon.com gift cards!

We're interested in your thoughts about your TiVo DVR's features and functionality. The survey will take about 15 minutes to complete. Note: We will need you to use your TiVo Premiere DVR for some portions of this survey.
post #1502 of 3305
That question about programming has been asked in their surveys for many years. It is nothing new.
post #1503 of 3305
I wonder if the new TiVo Premiere will have an upgraded tuner with better sensitivity for OTA ATSC reception? The current model is ok, but not as good as my built in TV tuners.
post #1504 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I wonder if the new TiVo Premiere will have an upgraded tuner with better sensitivity for OTA ATSC reception? The current model is ok, but not as good as my built in TV tuners.

Most people seem to think TiVo just fitted a larger disk drive, probably because 500GB drives are now easier to find than 320GB drives and are about the same price. Other parts are probably unchanged. They can't use the tuners from the Elite because they don't handle OTA, and besides they don't seem to work as well as the ones in the regular Premieres, which are actually quite good IMHO.
post #1505 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That question about programming has been asked in their surveys for many years. It is nothing new.

Yes but was the choice between OTA and cable really either/or? Radio button not check box? That's bad survey design at best, deliberately introducing bias at worst.
post #1506 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

Yes but was the choice between OTA and cable really either/or? Radio button not check box? That's bad survey design at best, deliberately introducing bias at worst.

+1

That's exactly the way I took it.
post #1507 of 3305
Hi, today I noticed in the "My Shows" section, that there is a "HD Recordings" sub-category containing about 20 programs that I never scheduled. Is there an option somewhere to prevent the Premiere from recording non scheduled programs? Thanks in advance
post #1508 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Hi, today I noticed in the "My Shows" section, that there is a "HD Recordings" sub-category containing about 20 programs that I never scheduled. Is there an option somewhere to prevent the Premiere from recording non scheduled programs? Thanks in advance

Turn off "suggestions"?
post #1509 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Hi, today I noticed in the "My Shows" section, that there is a "HD Recordings" sub-category containing about 20 programs that I never scheduled. Is there an option somewhere to prevent the Premiere from recording non scheduled programs? Thanks in advance

What he said:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21477276
post #1510 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Turn off "suggestions"?

Thanks! It's turned off now. I remember seeing "Tivo's Suggestions" in the settings, but did not know the suggestions would be recorded (still a newbie, I've only had my Premiere for a couple of weeks )
post #1511 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Thanks! It's turned off now. I remember seeing "Tivo's Suggestions" in the settings, but did not know the suggestions would be recorded (still a newbie, I've only had my Premiere for a couple of weeks )

If you're a TiVo newbie, you might want to try out the Suggestions feature before dismissing it. I know that at first it is something of a pain, but if you will assign "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" ratings (one to three) to the suggested shows before deleting them, you will eventually get the feature fine-tuned so that it primarily finds shows that you will have potential interest in. I just upgraded my two TiVo HD's to Premiere's and am going through the hassle of instructing my "Suggestions" all over again, but it is worth it to me in the long run when I find interesting recordings that I would otherwise have missed. It's not an exact science, but--similar to Pandora music--it can be very useful.

And you can always just ignore the "Suggestions" recordings since they are tagged with the lowest retention priority and thus will never take storage space away from the shows you want to retain.
post #1512 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

If you're a TiVo newbie, you might want to try out the Suggestions feature before dismissing it. I know that at first it is something of a pain, but if you will assign "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" ratings (one to three) to the suggested shows before deleting them, you will eventually get the feature fine-tuned so that it primarily finds shows that you will have potential interest in. I just upgraded my two TiVo HD's to Premiere's and am going through the hassle of instructing my "Suggestions" all over again, but it is worth it to me in the long run when I find interesting recordings that I would otherwise have missed. It's not an exact science, but--similar to Pandora music--it can be very useful.

And you can always just ignore the "Suggestions" recordings since they are tagged with the lowest retention priority and thus will never take storage space away from the shows you want to retain.

This is good advice, thanks. I might give it a try to see how well it reads my personal tastes.
post #1513 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

This is good advice, thanks. I might give it a try to see how well it reads my personal tastes.

Also remember that TiVo always records suggestions on the "empty space" of the hard drive. It will never delete a scheduled recording to make room for suggestions.

Also, it shouldn't switch channels to record a suggestion if you've used the remote recently.
post #1514 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

New TiVo lower pricing coming next week w/ larger Premiere HDD
http://blog.tivo.com/2012/03/new-upg...avorite-shows/

* TiVo Premiere Elite $399.99 (reduced $100): Records four shows at once and up to 300 hours of HD content
2TB/300 Hours HD, 4 tuners, digital cable, FiOS w/ MoCA onboard

Wasn't the new price actually announced at $349.99?
post #1515 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Wasn't the new price actually announced at $349.99?

That was a typo.

I was going to wait and see when the IP box is released and at what price. But now I think I'm just going to get a second Elite as soon as I get my next 12% off coupon at BestBuy. Then I'll sell one of my Lifetime Premieres when I get the coupon and when the IP box is released I'll sell my last lifetime Premiere and pick up the TiVo IP box.

Then my last two tuner Premiere will be the one I have on the $6.95 a month plan.
post #1516 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post


Yes but was the choice between OTA and cable really either/or? Radio button not check box? That's bad survey design at best, deliberately introducing bias at worst.

Then choose OTA and move the bias towards your preferred service.
post #1517 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post

Then choose OTA and move the bias towards your preferred service.

That's silly. I have Cable and OTA for different reasons. I wouldn't say that either Cable or OTA was my "preferred service". There are things on Cable that I cannot watch on OTA.. that's why I have Cable. There are things on OTA that have better image quality than Cable (like fast moving sports).. that's why I have OTA. Also, the "uptime" for OTA is virtually 100%. I have had Cox Cable and Charter Cable at the places I've lived, and outages are not all that infrequent... and when the Cable does go out I have OTA. Everything I record from the broadcast networks I record from OTA, and that is probably 80% of what we record in my house. People that have never bothered with OTA just don't realize the difference. And for a static (or slow moving) image there is no difference. But when the action picks up the difference become much more apparent.
post #1518 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

That's silly. I have Cable and OTA for different reasons. I wouldn't say that either Cable or OTA was my "preferred service". There are things on Cable that I cannot watch on OTA.. that's why I have Cable. There are things on OTA that have better image quality than Cable (like fast moving sports).. that's why I have OTA. Also, the "uptime" for OTA is virtually 100%. I have had Cox Cable and Charter Cable at the places I've lived, and outages are not all that infrequent... and when the Cable does go out I have OTA. Everything I record from the broadcast networks I record from OTA, and that is probably 80% of what we record in my house. People that have never bothered with OTA just don't realize the difference. And for a static (or slow moving) image there is no difference. But when the action picks up the difference become much more apparent.

Odd...I can't remember the last time I had a Cox cable TV outage. HSI? Yes. TV? Not for years.
post #1519 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That was a typo.

What was a "typo"?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...onthly_Fee.php

"The 2-Terabyte Elite carries a retail list price of $349.99, which is $150 less than TiVo's previously announced $499.99 list price."

If the $349.99 price was a typo, then the "$150 less than TiVo's previously announced $499.99 list price" must be a typo, too.
post #1520 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

What was a "typo"?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...onthly_Fee.php

"The 2-Terabyte Elite carries a retail list price of $349.99, which is $150 less than TiVo's previously announced $499.99 list price."

If the $349.99 price was a typo, then the "$150 less than TiVo's previously announced $499.99 list price" must be a typo, too.

According to Dave Zatz,
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/...-fee-reduction

If you read through the comments, He says TiVo's first press, had the $349.99 price for the Elite, that is what Multichannel is still reporting, even though TiVo changed the price before going live, typo or last minute price change, who knows. $399.99 is the official price on TiVo's website now.

But here is one now on sale for $359.99 (Availability: Back Ordered 7 To 10 Days)
http://www.abt.com/product/57088/TiVo-TCD758250.html
post #1521 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Odd...I can't remember the last time I had a Cox cable TV outage. HSI? Yes. TV? Not for years.

You don't list your location in your profile.. I'll have to assume it's Heaven
post #1522 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

You don't list your location in your profile.. I'll have to assume it's Heaven

Name gives it away. Near San Diego. I have had only one cable outage in five years. One zipcode away is not so good. All cable is local.
post #1523 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

You don't list your location in your profile.. I'll have to assume it's Heaven

Just look up the zip-code. [I had to leave you some sort of challenge.]
post #1524 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post


That's silly. I have Cable and OTA for different reasons. I wouldn't say that either Cable or OTA was my "preferred service". There are things on Cable that I cannot watch on OTA.. that's why I have Cable. There are things on OTA that have better image quality than Cable (like fast moving sports).. that's why I have OTA. Also, the "uptime" for OTA is virtually 100%. I have had Cox Cable and Charter Cable at the places I've lived, and outages are not all that infrequent... and when the Cable does go out I have OTA. Everything I record from the broadcast networks I record from OTA, and that is probably 80% of what we record in my house. People that have never bothered with OTA just don't realize the difference. And for a static (or slow moving) image there is no difference. But when the action picks up the difference become much more apparent.

Yes, but nobody is worried about cable being phased out. It seems that everyone is worried about TiVo dropping OTA. If that's the case, sandbag!
post #1525 of 3305
It's a little more complicated than that. TiVo must understand that Cable and OTA should not be exclusive of each other. In other words two RF inputs are important, as well as the capability to tune OTA. I listen to CD's and LP's, and sometimes MP3's. I don't have to swap around cables or use external switchers to do so.
post #1526 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It's a little more complicated than that. TiVo must understand that Cable and OTA should not be exclusive of each other. In other words two RF inputs are important, as well as the capability to tune OTA. I listen to CD's and LP's, and sometimes MP3's. I don't have to swap around cables or use external switchers to do so.

I'm on your side. I don't know if a TV can accept cable AND OTA unless it has two rf inputs. I guess I'm lucky that there is no OTA here to complicate my life. I need an outdoor antenna to get FM.

I will start to worry after TV builders stop supporting cable tuners OR stop supporting OTA tuners. But I'll probably be dead before that happens. Considering that cable companies could drop analog now and there are more OTA channels than 20 years ago, I'll find better things to worry about. Like if they start to scramble my basic cable like TNT, USA, SyFy I will need to buy another TiVo.
post #1527 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It's a little more complicated than that. TiVo must understand that Cable and OTA should not be exclusive of each other. In other words two RF inputs are important, as well as the capability to tune OTA. I listen to CD's and LP's, and sometimes MP3's. I don't have to swap around cables or use external switchers to do so.

The vast majority of stereo owners listen to multiple inputs. But note that most of these sources are composite (RCA, etc.) inputs, not antenna inputs. My AVR has but one FM antenna input, even though FM signals could be obtained by an antenna, or by hooking up the cable service. Cables must be swapped to switch between the two. I have a BD player, DVD player, VCR, DVR, etc., all connected to my TV without switching cables - just like your above example of CDs, LPs, and MP3s connected to your stereo.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
post #1528 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The vast majority of stereo owners listen to multiple inputs. But note that most of these sources are composite (RCA, etc.) inputs, not antenna inputs. My AVR has but one FM antenna input, even though FM signals could be obtained by an antenna, or by hooking up the cable service. Cables must be swapped to switch between the two. I have a BD player, DVD player, VCR, DVR, etc., all connected to my TV without switching cables - just like your above example of CDs, LPs, and MP3s connected to your stereo.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

I disagree with your argument. First, when I select "TUNER" on my AVR, I receive FM HD/RDDS from an external radio. When I select "CD" I get the output from my Blu-ray with serious DSP applied. When I select "BR/DVD" I get the same source (BR) but with no DSP. I never need to swap cables yet one button enables different signals with different processing.

On my newer TV I select "16" and get cable "16". On my DVR I select "16" once to get OTA and select "16" again to get cable. No cable changing or A-B switch needed.

My TV only has four HDMI inputs. It left me five short. So the TV does the apples (1080i) and the AVR does the oranges (480i,1080p, SACD). I have several HD tuners that are back in their boxes. Retired now. Things change.

If I had both OTA and cable, I would not use an A-B switch. I would buy a tuner/STB for one or both. With a Premier I don't need to make the choice.
post #1529 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The vast majority of stereo owners listen to multiple inputs. But note that most of these sources are composite (RCA, etc.) inputs, not antenna inputs. My AVR has but one FM antenna input, even though FM signals could be obtained by an antenna, or by hooking up the cable service. Cables must be swapped to switch between the two. I have a BD player, DVD player, VCR, DVR, etc., all connected to my TV without switching cables - just like your above example of CDs, LPs, and MP3s connected to your stereo.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Huh???

No one is asking for two seperate Antenna inputs, but simply one Antenna input and one Cable input. The fact that they both happen to be RF is irrelevent. That is what the Tivo Premier has now, and hopefully will always have. That is what most all TV's had up until the past few years, when all of a sudden "cheaper" became "better".
post #1530 of 3305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

That is what most all TV's had up until the past few years, when all of a sudden "cheaper" became "better".

You speak as though the cheaper = better equation was a recent invention. Manufacturers always look for cost-cutting measures that customers will tolerate, and the situation is simply that most people don't need both antenna and cable inputs, so TV sets with only one RF connection have sold well. Cable generally provides both local and specialty channels, so the average cable customer has no reason to connect an antenna. The reasons for using both sources that are relatively common around here, like OTA's superior HD on local channels, aren't the kind of reasons that would spur average viewers to deal with using multiple content sources.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic