or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic - Page 96

post #2851 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

I would really miss the opportunity to switch easily from cable to OTA. I receive some 20 channels from LA.
Exactly. One of the main reasons we got the TiVo Premiere was because of the way it nicely integrates cable and OTA antenna signals in one box without an A/B switch or separate HDMI connection. All channels are grouped nicely together in one easy to navigate menu setting, and allows you to add local/regional antenna channels from different markets not carried on cable. It would be a major disappointment if they eliminate the dual antenna/cable inputs.
post #2852 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

I would really miss the opportunity to switch easily from cable to OTA. I receive some 20 channels from LA.

So what's wrong with just keeping your "old" Premier (or HD) for OTA and adding on with a new box just for cable? Gives you more tuners, and more programs that you'll probably never get around to watching ... win, win. I honestly don't get the angst here. smile.gif

PS: If we have reached the point that we simply can't be bothered to switch inputs, we might as well just hook ourselves up to a saline/sucrose drip and convert our Lazy-Boys for waste management.
post #2853 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So what's wrong with just keeping your "old" Premier (or HD) for OTA and adding on with a new box just for cable? Gives you more tuners, and more programs that you'll probably never get around to watching ... win, win. I honestly don't get the angst here. smile.gif

PS: If we have reached the point that we simply can't be bothered to switch inputs, we might as well just hook ourselves up to a saline/sucrose drip and convert our Lazy-Boys for waste management.

Ok, I get it now. If YOU don't need it or want it, then no one else should have it. rolleyes.gif
No wonder they call you "HDTVChallenged". biggrin.gif
post #2854 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Ok, I get it now. If YOU don't need it or want it, then no one else should have it. rolleyes.gif
No wonder they call you "HDTVChallenged". biggrin.gif

1) A complete mis-characterization of what I said. I never said you, 'couldn't have something.'

2) OTOH, I'm going to give you the opportunity to apologize for the (latest) cheap shot wrt to my chosen forum handle, before I click the red flag.

3) Understand that no one but myself picked that handle ... and there was and still is a reason for it. Hint: I was about to retire it in 2009, then suddenly it still made sense.

Then again, perhaps you have an actual logical argument to make instead of relying on a straw-man and (not really) a personal insult (because you used a grinning emoticon.) Try harder next time.
post #2855 of 3304
Hey just ordered a Tivo Roamio today. Looks like they will ship tomorrow.

SS-Stingray
post #2856 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

Hey just ordered a Tivo Roamio today. Looks like they will ship tomorrow.

SS-Stingray
I would be curious to hear if the OTA tuner performs better than the Premiere, especially when dealing with mutipath and error correction.
post #2857 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I would be curious to hear if the OTA tuner performs better than the Premiere, especially when dealing with mutipath and error correction.

Aren't those the only things that cause issues? My Premiere tuners pulled in everything that my S3 boxes could. And the Premieres were more solid on a lower signal strength than the S3. On a low signal where the S3 picture would sometimes break up, the premiere picture was still rock solid.
post #2858 of 3304
On the launch date of the new Roamios, TiVo also made changes to their user policy which one of the changes is to use binding arbitration instead of class action lawsuits for future disputes.
http://www.tivo.com/legal
This coupled with a post from TCF:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9778328#post9778328
I am wondering if TiVo is going to make a drastic policy change to older boxes that have lifetime service or possibly the elimination of older units from the S3 and back. TiVo mentions about compatibility with HD programming. I highlighted some key points.
Quote:
We offer a product lifetime subscription option to the TiVo service that commits us to provide the TiVo service for as long as the DVR is in service. We receive product lifetime subscription fees for the TiVo service in advance and amortize these fees as subscription revenue over 66 months for product lifetime subscriptions which is our current estimate of the service life of the DVR. If these product lifetime subscriptions use the DVR for longer than anticipated, we will incur costs such as telecommunications and customer support costs without a corresponding subscription revenue stream and therefore will be required to fund ongoing costs of service from other sources, such as advertising revenue. Additionally, if these product lifetime subscriptions use the DVR for longer than the period in which we recognize revenue, our average revenue per subscription (“ARPU”) for our TiVo-Owned subscriptions will be negatively impacted as we continue to count these customers as subscriptions without corresponding subscription revenue thus lowering our average revenues across our TiVo-Owned subscription base. As of January 31, 2013, we had approximately 194,000 product lifetime subscriptions that had exceeded the 66 month period we use to recognize product lifetime subscription revenues and had made contact with the TiVo service within the prior six-month period. We will continue to monitor the useful life of a TiVo-enabled DVR and the impact of higher churn, increased competition, and compatibility of our existing TiVo units with high-definition programming. Future results will allow us to determine if our useful life is shorter or longer than currently estimated, in which case we may revise the estimated life and we would recognize revenues from this source over a shorter or longer period.

There is a 30 day window if you want to opt out of arbitration. Here is how to opt out and what can happen if you do:
Quote:
Opt-out: You may opt-out of this dispute resolution provision only by notifying TiVo within 30 days of the date that it first applies to you. You must do so by writing to TiVo Inc., 2160 Gold Street, San Jose, CA 95002, attn.: Arbitration Opt-Out, and including your name, address, account number (if you have one), and a clear statement that you do not wish to resolve disputes with TiVo through arbitration.

Judicial forum: If (1) you opt-out of this dispute resolution provision, or (2) an arbitrator or court finds the class action waiver in this section to be invalid or unenforceable, then you agree to resolve any dispute you have with TiVo exclusively in a state or federal court located in Santa Clara County, California, and to submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purpose of litigating such dispute. We each waive any right to a jury trial in any such dispute.

Time limit for disputes: We each agree (regardless of any statute or law to the contrary) that any dispute must be filed within 1 year after such dispute arose or else will be forever barred.

The process for dispute resolution is here under legal terms:
http://www.tivo.com/legal/terms
post #2859 of 3304
Are they going to continue manufacturing the Premiere boxes now that the Roamio has been released?
post #2860 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Are they going to continue manufacturing the Premiere boxes now that the Roamio has been released?

No. They are just clearing out existing stock.
post #2861 of 3304
Just saying hi as I research Tivo. I see many familiar avatars from the crusty/trusty DHG forum. I'm still babysitting 2 Sonys, (sold one), but not recording much.

Maybe I need a Tivo. always unsure how local cableco (TMC) handles non-rental boxes. They looked at the DHG like it was a weird alien, but I still loved mine.
Looks like a good time to get a used Series 4 Tivo lifetime unit as people upgrade to the latest. Coming from a DHG my needs are low, (6tuners?, 1000hours?) but also some of my needs are high, the DHGs were great devices...
My biggest concern is relying on the cableco and the networking stuff for Tivo. I'd like OTA option (Premieres?), 2tuners is okay, but easy networking and a Mini to bedroom TV would be good too. don;t care about streaming, internet stuff, my Mac Mini is hooked to my main HDTV, so I have internet there already. I mainly want digital cable HD now.
wish me luck..
post #2862 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

.... I'd like OTA option (Premieres?), 2tuners is okay, but easy networking and a Mini to bedroom TV would be good too. don;t care about streaming, internet stuff, my Mac Mini is hooked to my main HDTV, so I have internet there already. I mainly want digital cable HD now.
wish me luck..

A Premiere or Premier XL (larger drive, lighted remote) will work for you. They can be easily networked, but don't support the Mini. Two tuners, simultaneous Cable and OTA, dual RF inputs.
post #2863 of 3304
My Premier 4 that I just use for OTA (not even a subscription) appears to have died just before the announcement of the Roamio. Interesting. The thing won't power up or make noise of any kind. I did spy a dust bunny the size of a mouse rolling around on the inside of the unit when I investigated, so maybe that is causing problem. Hopefully it can be salvaged! What have other people done when their Tivo decided to not power up?
post #2864 of 3304
Norman, if you've got lifetime on your Premiere, I'd find out how much Tivo will charge to repair it. If you don't have a lifetime subscription, I'd think about buying a Roamio or buying another Premiere (and putting lifetime on it). It is hard to imagine needing more than 2 tuners for OTA, but it might be nice to have if you've watch live sports a lot and get overlapping recordings.
post #2865 of 3304
This is off topic (didn't know how to start a new one), but what's up with the constant ads for Charmin? I even asked for the $1 coupon, but the ads still appear above the progression bar at the bottom of the screen.
post #2866 of 3304
I agree it's kind of irritating but I just push the down arrow button and it doesn't come back(for the duration or until you back out of the program you are playing).
I never click on those ads because I'm kind of paranoid I'll get even more but that habit goes back to PCs and SPAM, probably not the case with Tivo.
post #2867 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Norman, if you've got lifetime on your Premiere, I'd find out how much Tivo will charge to repair it. If you don't have a lifetime subscription, I'd think about buying a Roamio or buying another Premiere (and putting lifetime on it). It is hard to imagine needing more than 2 tuners for OTA, but it might be nice to have if you've watch live sports a lot and get overlapping recordings.

I guess I posted too soon, the problem actually happened to be the outlet on my Panamax M-4300 PM! I must have popped the fuse. The Premiere 4 just got a good air cleaning out of the deal tongue.gif
post #2868 of 3304
I've cross-posted this in a few places, but I have a TiVo Premiere that seems to have an overall audio output level that is much lower than any of my other sources. The effect is noticeable on both the analog and HDMI outputs (that is, TiVo audio over analog is quieter than my other analog sources, and TiVo audio over HDMI is quieter than my other HDMI sources.) This has been the case for two receivers to which the TiVo has been connected (an Onkyo TX-SR605 and a Denon AVR-X3000.)

It does not seem to be affected by what is playing on the TiVo (Dolby Digital cable channels vs. stereo channels, or TiVo apps like Netflix vs. live/recorded cable TV.) All told, TiVo sound seems to be about 10dB lower than any other source (Apple TV, game consoles, Mac Mini, analog CD, etc.)

Both the Onkyo and the Denon have source level adjustments, so I can crank up the input gain on the TiVo's input so that the level is more or less matched to other sources (so that I don't get blasted out when I change inputs.) But the Denon's adjustment only works for the main zone, and I have a whole-house audio system connected to Zone 2. That's causing me some heartache, because if someone switches from TiVo to music (or any other source) in Zone 2, the levels are way out of balance.

So I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, and if there are any possible solutions. I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with my CableCard (or cable company - Cox in OKC) but I don't have a standard cable box to check against. I've also wondered if there is some way to access any "non-standard" TiVo settings that would somehow allow for an audio output gain adjustment. I'm also researching if there is some way I can apply the gain adjustment in my receiver to both zones, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

I'd be willing to upgrade to a Roomio if it would alleviate the problem, but if it's a cable/CableCard issue, it doesn't seem like that would help.

Any thoughts?

--BeeEss
post #2869 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEss View Post

I've cross-posted this in a few places, but I have a TiVo Premiere that seems to have an overall audio output level that is much lower than any of my other sources. The effect is noticeable on both the analog and HDMI outputs (that is, TiVo audio over analog is quieter than my other analog sources, and TiVo audio over HDMI is quieter than my other HDMI sources.) This has been the case for two receivers to which the TiVo has been connected (an Onkyo TX-SR605 and a Denon AVR-X3000.)

It does not seem to be affected by what is playing on the TiVo (Dolby Digital cable channels vs. stereo channels, or TiVo apps like Netflix vs. live/recorded cable TV.) All told, TiVo sound seems to be about 10dB lower than any other source (Apple TV, game consoles, Mac Mini, analog CD, etc.)

Both the Onkyo and the Denon have source level adjustments, so I can crank up the input gain on the TiVo's input so that the level is more or less matched to other sources (so that I don't get blasted out when I change inputs.) But the Denon's adjustment only works for the main zone, and I have a whole-house audio system connected to Zone 2. That's causing me some heartache, because if someone switches from TiVo to music (or any other source) in Zone 2, the levels are way out of balance.

So I'm curious if anyone else has seen this, and if there are any possible solutions. I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with my CableCard (or cable company - Cox in OKC) but I don't have a standard cable box to check against. I've also wondered if there is some way to access any "non-standard" TiVo settings that would somehow allow for an audio output gain adjustment. I'm also researching if there is some way I can apply the gain adjustment in my receiver to both zones, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

I'd be willing to upgrade to a Roomio if it would alleviate the problem, but if it's a cable/CableCard issue, it doesn't seem like that would help.

Any thoughts?

--BeeEss

Mine does the same thing. There is nothing wrong with he TiVo as I have to adjust the settings in my A/V receiver for the different devices that are running through it. I used to have my CableCards in my two Kuros and the volume would be slightly lower than the Pace RNG 200 my cable company supplied. I find the TiVo to be slightly lower in volume than when I used the CableCards in my TVs. The new TiVo Roamio can be the same way.
There is no real set standard for this so there is not much you can do.
post #2870 of 3304
Could someone please tell me what the pros and cons are for having an external storage drive for the Tivo Premiere. I currently have the internal 1TB hard drive but I want more without having to open the Premiere. I have heard that that if the external drive dies you lose every recorded show both internal and external. I'm willing to take that risk.

I have seen this on Amazon but maybe the Tivo will accept up to a certain TB external drive?


"WD My Book 3TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage"

Please understand that I know nothing about this and if I have to format something or if it takes a long process to figure out then I will forget about it and just live with 1TB.


Please educate me.

Thanks everyone.
post #2871 of 3304
The only one that works is the WD My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB eSATA External Hard Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-eSATA-External-Drive/dp/B003MVZ60S/
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/dvr-expander

If you want to retain your Recordings, Season Passes, Thumb Ratings and CableCARD pairing. The External DVR Expander or Upgrading yourself using jmfs Live is the only way to retain everything.


The following Upgrade you will lose your Recordings, Season Passes, Thumb Ratings and CableCARD pairing.
You would be much better off to purchase a ready to use Internal 2TB HDD Upgrade from a reputable seller
You need to know your exact OEM model # You say it has a 1TB HDD already, is that a factory 1TB TiVo Premiere XL TCD748000? or has it already been upgraded?
TiVo Premiere TCD746320 (2 Tuner 320GB OEM HDD) -

TiVo Premiere XL TCD748000 (2 Tuner 1TB OEM HDD) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premiere-XL-TCD748000-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Plug-Play-2TB-WD-AV-GP-/261096298281

WeaKnees.com - TiVo Premiere XL TCD748000 2TB Upgrade Kit
http://www.weaknees.com/details2/rs2t0prmx.php
Edited by Bryan_CoxPHX - 9/15/13 at 11:18pm
post #2872 of 3304
^^^Thanks Bryan for your help. Yes its the Tivo Premiere XL with the original 1TB internal drive.


"You need to know your exact OEM model #"

Is this number on the bottom of the unit?

I will research your links.

Thanks
post #2873 of 3304
A Factory Premiere XL 1TB is Model # TCD748000 (2 Tuner 1TB OEM HDD)
post #2874 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post


Mine does the same thing. There is nothing wrong with he TiVo as I have to adjust the settings in my A/V receiver for the different devices that are running through it. I used to have my CableCards in my two Kuros and the volume would be slightly lower than the Pace RNG 200 my cable company supplied. I find the TiVo to be slightly lower in volume than when I used the CableCards in my TVs. The new TiVo Roamio can be the same way.
There is no real set standard for this so there is not much you can do.

 

Posted the same problem on TCF. No audio level problem with Pandora. Seems to be a cable issue.

post #2875 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Posted the same problem on TCF. No audio level problem with Pandora. Seems to be a cable issue.

The channel that I have the most notable level change is HBO HD. With the Pace RNG 200 I had the volume at 15 to 16. With the CableCards in the Kuros I had the volume at 18 to 20. With the TiVo Premiere 4 I have the volume at 20 to 22. I use an average volume level of 16 on other HD channels with the TiVo. With the Pace I had the volume down to about 12.
I just had a difficult time with SE concerning my phone. If I tried to make a long distance call to my sister, my calls would get routed to Myanmar or Russia. Somebody tried to tell me this was normal. After a week they found the problem and fixed it.
post #2876 of 3304
I'm a TiVo newbie. I currently am using the Comcast DVR on a free promotion, but looking forward to finding something without a rental fee once the promotion expires in a few months. I understand that the TiVo premiere with lifetime subscription may be the best choice. I also understand that some series 3 TiVo's will work. I do want to stick with versions that allow 1 cable card. I prefer the premiere over the series 3 because I understand they have the skip ahead button. My primary application is skipping over commercials. Will either the series 3 or premieres allow me to run time-delayed simultaneously on two different channels. In other words can we be simultaneously be buffering two channels and switching between them and skipping over commercials on both? We are not talking about recording; only buffering two channels at once.
Pete
post #2877 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroots View Post

I'm a TiVo newbie. I currently am using the Comcast DVR on a free promotion, but looking forward to finding something without a rental fee once the promotion expires in a few months. I understand that the TiVo premiere with lifetime subscription may be the best choice. I also understand that some series 3 TiVo's will work. I do want to stick with versions that allow 1 cable card. I prefer the premiere over the series 3 because I understand they have the skip ahead button. My primary application is skipping over commercials. Will either the series 3 or premieres allow me to run time-delayed simultaneously on two different channels. In other words can we be simultaneously be buffering two channels and switching between them and skipping over commercials on both? We are not talking about recording; only buffering two channels at once.
Pete

Yes - ALL TiVos have a 30 skip Option - HOWEVER the KEY CODE for it is NOT in the TiVo.
You need a REMOTE you can ADD the Code to. If you can not find the CODE on

http://www.remotecentral.com/

I can SEND it to you.
post #2878 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroots View Post

Will either the series 3 or premieres allow me to run time-delayed simultaneously on two different channels. In other words can we be simultaneously be buffering two channels and switching between them and skipping over commercials on both? We are not talking about recording; only buffering two channels at once.
Pete
Yes I do that all the time with my Tivo, but you need to pause the screen you are switching away from, if you don't when you switch back to it will be up to current time(live).
I do this with my local news, tune both tuners to a different news channel, pause one and switch to the other, watch that one until a commercial starts, pause it and switch to the other tuner, watch that until a commercial starts, scan over the commercial and continue to watch until I run out of buffer and a commercial starts, switch back to other channel and repeat.
Eventually you'll run out of buffer since the channels aren't quite up to 50% commercials but one can probably watch 2 one half hour programs in about 45 minutes(less if you skip part of the programs you don't care for).
Edited by jjeff - 9/21/13 at 7:48am
post #2879 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Yes - ALL TiVos have a 30 skip Option - HOWEVER the KEY CODE for it is NOT in the TiVo.
You need a REMOTE you can ADD the Code to. If you can not find the CODE on

http://www.remotecentral.com/

I can SEND it to you.
Thanks. I don't understand. Are you saying that the remote that comes with the TiVo does not include the skip button?
Pete
post #2880 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes I do that all the time with my Tivo, but you need to pause the screen you are switching away from, if you don't when you switch back to it will be up to current time(live).
I do this with my local news, tune both tuners to a different news channel, pause one and switch to the other, watch that one until a commercial starts, pause it and switch to the other tuner, watch that until a commercial starts, scan over the commercial and continue to watch until I run out of buffer and a commercial starts, switch back to other channel and repeat.
Eventually you'll run out of buffer since the channels aren't quite up to 50% commercials but one can probably watch 2 one half hour programs in about 45 minutes(less if you skip part of the programs you don't care for).
Thanks. That's good news. I can't do that with the Comcast DVR we're using now.
Pete
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic