or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 24

post #691 of 1944
Crummy day. My uncle is in the hospital today from his cancer getting worse spreading into his abdomen. frown.gif(((((
post #692 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Crummy day. My uncle is in the hospital today from his cancer getting worse spreading into his abdomen. frown.gif(((((

Sorry to see that and I feel for you. I lost my wife to cancer. Hopefully you'll have more time to spend with him. Nothing worse than losing a family member.
post #693 of 1944
Thanks. Me sorry too. frown.gif(((
Hmm. No ones emailed me yet. Bummer. With the XPA-5 its possible its not a good match for my system. With bigger better different speakers I may have gotten a difference. But my speakers are small and limited.
post #694 of 1944
Email sent
post #695 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Thanks. Me sorry too. frown.gif(((
Hmm. No ones emailed me yet. Bummer. With the XPA-5 its possible its not a good match for my system. With bigger better different speakers I may have gotten a difference. But my speakers are small and limited.

Yes, speakers are most often one of the most limiting factors along with room acoustics. Amplifiers play a much less important part than most people think.
post #696 of 1944
Very true however you don't need "large" speakers for it to benefit. In my 13x17x8 room with open floor plan it has done wonders for my psb image b6 speakers (399$ a pair)
post #697 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Very true however you don't need "large" speakers for it to benefit. In my 13x17x8 room with open floor plan it has done wonders for my psb image b6 speakers (399$ a pair)

True, my L/C/Rs have 7" midwoofers in .5cf cabinets, not large in comparison to some but larger than many "satellite" systems. Many speakers these days are really too small (such as 5" drivers for the mains) for a 12db/octave 80Hz crossover which many use.
post #698 of 1944
For buggs1a:







post #699 of 1944
Read the whole thread, doubts:

a) Emotiva say on their website they ship "Internationally". Anyone here from Spain/Europe? Wondering what the costs would be, and if it's worth risking a possibly bumpy trip.

b) Any European stores shipping this brand that you know of?

c) I think I don't currently "need" a power amp with the system I've got:

- Marantz cd6004 + ps3 for bluray
- Sony STR-DG820 (110w per channel... they say. After all the reading, seems like the weak link, but have no idea what to upgrade it to yet.)
- 2x B&W 685
- B&W HTM61
- B&W PV-1

However, I'm saving to buy a pair of B&W CM9s (and move the 685s to the back), and that's when the power amp might come in handy. Am I right?

Thank you all.
post #700 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervokid View Post

Read the whole thread, doubts:

a) Emotiva say on their website they ship "Internationally". Anyone here from Spain/Europe? Wondering what the costs would be, and if it's worth risking a possibly bumpy trip.

b) Any European stores shipping this brand that you know of?

c) I think I don't currently "need" a power amp with the system I've got:

- Marantz cd6004 + ps3 for bluray
- Sony STR-DG820 (110w per channel... they say. After all the reading, seems like the weak link, but have no idea what to upgrade it to yet.)
- 2x B&W 685
- B&W HTM61
- B&W PV-1

However, I'm saving to buy a pair of B&W CM9s (and move the 685s to the back), and that's when the power amp might come in handy. Am I right?

Thank you all.

I probably wouldn't recommend Emotiva for non-US customers. Their international distribution and service just isn't there yet and those that DO have problems usually have trouble getting them sorted out in a timely manner. They are working on getting more European distribution though. Most of the problems with Emotiva gear overseas is that it gets banged up pretty good on its way from the USA and needs to be immediately replaced.

First thing I'd do is go to the Emotiva website and click on the " International Quote Form " at the bottom of the page. Fill out the information and they will give you a shipping quote. You might find that it would be cheaper to get an Onkyo or Denon receiver that will do 9 channels at more than 125 watts / channel. Running it with just 5 or 7 channels active should give you enough to drive those B&W with authority.

As far as the STR-DG820. You'll probably see 50-60 watts into 5 or 7 channels at decent distortion levels. You won't be able to add external amps to it anyway and getting a receiver with that capability is going to COST. Only vendor that offers a decent lineup of receivers with preamp outs is Onkyo. Their entry receiver is the TX-NR717 for this year or the TX-NR709 for last year. Main problem with the Onkyo receivers is that they run HOT. You'll need an open rack for those. Their amplifier sections are generally better than Denon in their low to mid receivers. Minimum Denon receiver with preamp out is AVR-3312ci or 3313ci.
post #701 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervokid View Post

Read the whole thread, doubts:

a) Emotiva say on their website they ship "Internationally". Anyone here from Spain/Europe? Wondering what the costs would be, and if it's worth risking a possibly bumpy trip.

b) Any European stores shipping this brand that you know of?

c) I think I don't currently "need" a power amp with the system I've got:

- Marantz cd6004 + ps3 for bluray
- Sony STR-DG820 (110w per channel... they say. After all the reading, seems like the weak link, but have no idea what to upgrade it to yet.)
- 2x B&W 685
- B&W HTM61
- B&W PV-1

However, I'm saving to buy a pair of B&W CM9s (and move the 685s to the back), and that's when the power amp might come in handy. Am I right?

Thank you all.

i just emailed them and they gave me the quote the nexts day or so.. only 95 bucks or so to ship to Canada.. but the duties brooker free and Canadian taxes another 150 or so..
still pretty cheap compared to what i can get at the high end audio store... decided to wait till i build my theater room before i order one or two.. nexts christmas smile.gif

cheers
post #702 of 1944
Pic of my setup. Loving my XPA-5 biggrin.gif
post #703 of 1944
^^^ Pretty cool setup!

Now, you are forced to buy a Xbox on black to match the other gear.........tongue.gif

Congrats!!!
post #704 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

^^^ Pretty cool setup!

Now, you are forced to buy a Xbox on black to match the other gear.........tongue.gif

Congrats!!!

But I needs the awesome blue emo lights
post #705 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

But I needs the awesome blue emo lights

C'mon Brian, now you are getting way too picky!!!

Lol!
post #706 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

^^^ Pretty cool setup!

Now, you are forced to buy a Xbox on black to match the other gear.........tongue.gif

Congrats!!!

I know right. Hopefully I get the dreaded Xbox red ring then I will have a excuse.
post #707 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

Pic of my setup. Loving my XPA-5 biggrin.gif

I have the black xBox 360. tongue.gif

... and my XPR-5 is bigger than your XPA-5.

I can only get keep 9 of the blue LEDs in each channel lit though.
post #708 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Would it help to do a search on what amp brands other M&K owners favor? That helped me when looking for an amp for my Paradigms.

On your results with the XPA amp, when I first put an XPA-3 in my system, I was perplexed on how the SQ was no better than the amp it replaced, an Adcom 5300. It went louder, but I wanted more than that. 3 years later I tried a Parasound Halo, and got the improvement in SQ that I had been looking for. But I don't want to steer you wrong, maybe Parasound wouldn't have synergy with M&K. But see what other owners are having success with.

Hello,

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what amplifier to get. I see this thread by runnin...question...I am debating whether to get an EMO XPA-5 or a less powerful Parasound A52? I recently demo'd a parasound and the EMO, and I found there was a difference in SQ...the clarity and warmth of the parasound was heard immediately by myself and friends when I did a blind demo.

Reading through these threads, amplifiers just amplify sound, and most of you don't really hear the difference. I am running B&W CM9's for the front.

Question...is it just me? Am I biased because the Parasound is more expensive = better performance? Should I just save the money and get the EMO? I know I should have tried it...now I don't know what to do???

Please provide your inputs frown.gif...

E4
post #709 of 1944
Get the one you want. Saving money now usually ends up costing you allot more money in the long run. This hobby will have you second guessing decisions constantly unless you buy the equipment your heart desires the first time.
post #710 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

Get the one you want. Saving money now usually ends up costing you allot more money in the long run. This hobby will have you second guessing decisions constantly unless you buy the equipment your heart desires the first time.

You certainly got that right. But has anyone gone from EMO to Parasound and found there was little or no difference?
post #711 of 1944
E4 just pull the trigger. You demo'd the parasound and loved it. Who cares what others think.k5 is right , you always wonder if you made the right decision if you go cheaper. I have never settled for something and been happy. Parasound is a quality name and there pricey. Bite the bullet.
post #712 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4chan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

Get the one you want. Saving money now usually ends up costing you allot more money in the long run. This hobby will have you second guessing decisions constantly unless you buy the equipment your heart desires the first time.

You certainly got that right. But has anyone gone from EMO to Parasound and found there was little or no difference?

Go for mcintosh tubes...

get the power you need to drive your speaker system..

cheers
post #713 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4chan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Would it help to do a search on what amp brands other M&K owners favor? That helped me when looking for an amp for my Paradigms.

On your results with the XPA amp, when I first put an XPA-3 in my system, I was perplexed on how the SQ was no better than the amp it replaced, an Adcom 5300. It went louder, but I wanted more than that. 3 years later I tried a Parasound Halo, and got the improvement in SQ that I had been looking for. But I don't want to steer you wrong, maybe Parasound wouldn't have synergy with M&K. But see what other owners are having success with.

Hello,

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what amplifier to get. I see this thread by runnin...question...I am debating whether to get an EMO XPA-5 or a less powerful Parasound A52? I recently demo'd a parasound and the EMO, and I found there was a difference in SQ...the clarity and warmth of the parasound was heard immediately by myself and friends when I did a blind demo.

Reading through these threads, amplifiers just amplify sound, and most of you don't really hear the difference. I am running B&W CM9's for the front.

Question...is it just me? Am I biased because the Parasound is more expensive = better performance? Should I just save the money and get the EMO? I know I should have tried it...now I don't know what to do???

Please provide your inputs frown.gif...

E4

i dont think it was a good blind test demo.. you said the parasound was immediately BETTER... why the heck are you pulling your hair out???

i thought i had aniexty...well better do another test...

cheers
post #714 of 1944
No comments on my room? People said photos would help. Now they're here and no comments yet?
Bummer. frown.gif

First. I know about the center. No shelf yet so that's where it is for now.
post #715 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervokid View Post

Read the whole thread, doubts:

a) Emotiva say on their website they ship "Internationally". Anyone here from Spain/Europe? Wondering what the costs would be, and if it's worth risking a possibly bumpy trip.

b) Any European stores shipping this brand that you know of?

c) I think I don't currently "need" a power amp with the system I've got:

- Marantz cd6004 + ps3 for bluray
- Sony STR-DG820 (110w per channel... they say. After all the reading, seems like the weak link, but have no idea what to upgrade it to yet.)
- 2x B&W 685
- B&W HTM61
- B&W PV-1

However, I'm saving to buy a pair of B&W CM9s (and move the 685s to the back), and that's when the power amp might come in handy. Am I right?

Thank you all.

 

I am in the UK and Emo have shipped 11 items to me over the last few years. All have arrived in perfect condition thanks to their superb packaging. Shipping costs are very reasonable but remember you will also have to pay VAT at your country's rate on top (including on the shipping). If an Emo amps fails, Emo say they will work with your local repair facility and ship any required parts to that facility so they can repair it. Amps are pretty simple devices internally and any competent repair shop should be able to service one - especially if Emo are willing to give advice and ship parts if necessary. Emo say they benchtest overseas shipments prior to shipping, but I don't know how thorough that is - it may be they just switch on and see if the blue lights come on. Better than nothing I guess.

 

There are no European distributors, and if there were you can expect to pay much more than importing your own. Including shipping and taxes I still cannot find anything in the UK that is remotely comparable with Emo amps, for anything like the price. That is why I imported mine and I regard it as one of my best HT decisions ever.

 

You only need additional external amps if your current unit is not capable of driving your speakers to the levels you require without clipping, or if your speakers present an unusual and difficult load to the amp - eg some 4 ohm speakers can dip to as low as 2 ohms at some frequencies and this can overload many AVRs. If you are clipping, or approaching clipping, then more powerful external amps are beneficial. Remember AVR manufacturers quite power output figures with just one channel driven usually. Emo quote theirs All Channels Driven. Be aware of that if comparing the power output of Emo amps with AVR amps. 200 watts one channel driven might drop to 80- watts if all channels are driven - the Emo amps will deliver that 200 watts ACD.

post #716 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Crummy day. My uncle is in the hospital today from his cancer getting worse spreading into his abdomen. frown.gif(((((

 

Very sorry to hear that. 

post #717 of 1944
Thanks
post #718 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

i dont think it was a good blind test demo.. you said the parasound was immediately BETTER... why the heck are you pulling your hair out???

i thought i had aniexty...well better do another test...

cheers

I guess my anxiety comes from spending twice or three times the price of the emotiva. It's been discussed to death....but I don't know why, when listening to music or movie with dialogue, that a Parasound A52 at low volumes, is crisp, clear and satisfying to the ear, however, when trying the emotiva for a week, I found the sound tingy, and not warm. I can't put a finger on it, but the SQ just sounds different.

Keep in mind XPA-5 has 5x200, while the Parasound A52 is only 5x125. Does it have to do with the components in the parasound? Or is the power "cleaner"? I am new in the amp world.

Thanks,
E4
post #719 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4chan View Post

I guess my anxiety comes from spending twice or three times the price of the emotiva. It's been discussed to death....but I don't know why, when listening to music or movie with dialogue, that a Parasound A52 at low volumes, is crisp, clear and satisfying to the ear, however, when trying the emotiva for a week, I found the sound tingy, and not warm. I can't put a finger on it, but the SQ just sounds different.

Keep in mind XPA-5 has 5x200, while the Parasound A52 is only 5x125. Does it have to do with the components in the parasound? Or is the power "cleaner"? I am new in the amp world.

Thanks,
E4

Hi, I saw this and your previous post, and know well your angst! First off, this is a fun hobby but if you're stuck it can be quite confusing hearing the many differing opinions out there. I would suggest you use the KISS principle and trust your ears. Not everyone can hear the differences that arise with differing amps on the same speakers, and if you can, then you have a decision to make. Since you found the Emotiva tingy, and earlier described how your friends and you all preferred the Parasound, then that should be on your short list. You have to decide whether you can afford to spend that kind of money, and if you could be happy with the sound of the Emotiva.
post #720 of 1944
It sounds as if you will only be satisfied with the Parasound. This should make your decision easy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread