or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 1944
Hey Guys!!! I just ordered my XPA-5, can't wait to get it. I am having it paired up with my Denon AVR 4308ci. What do you guys think of having the XPA running highs/lows for my Polk RTi a9's (basically bi-amping the XPA using y-adapters from the front L/R preouts of the denon) and the 5th channel powering my polk CSi a6 center? I will let the Denon power the surround speakers. The reason why I bought this beast of an amp is for starters all the positive remarks people have made and what a great price!!!!!! The denon does have great sound, but I feel by adding the XPA-5 it will be better, what do you guys think? Also, should I directly plug this XPA-5 into it's own outlet or plugging it into my monster power center? Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
Smo
post #92 of 1944
If you are running 5.1, I would amp all the channels with the XPA-5. That seems more likely to get you equal power to all channels.

If you have a 7.1 system, I would consider using the XPA-5 for the front channels, and powering either the surrounds or rear surrounds with the XPA-5. You might want to try powering the speaker furthest from you, as there's SPL loss over distance (but there's also the factor of speaker sensitivity.) Then you would power the other 2 with your receiver

I can think of no scenario where I would bi-amp. But feel free to experiment. Maybe you will conclude differently. Do some reading on bi-amping though. It may not be as good as you think it is (it won't double the power for one thing.)

If your Monster power center is just a fancy strip, you can plug it into the strip. If it's a power conditioner of some sort, try plugging the XPA into an outlet in case the Monster would limit power.
post #93 of 1944
Thanks Michael for your input. I am currently running a 5.1 setup.
Polk Audio rti a9's front L/R
Polk Audio Csi A6 Center
Polk Audio RC85i in-walls for surround
The monster power strip was about $200 at tweeter 5-7 years ago. I went for it because I didn't have room on my rack for it. It shows amps/ volts, reverse wiring, clean power, etc...
Do you really think i will notice a difference with the XPA-5 vs just my on-board denon 4308 amps?
post #94 of 1944
Make sure you let us know!! My thought is that unless
you listen at VERY loud levels you probably won't
notice a difference. Your Deron is a BEAST!!
- my humble OPINION-
post #95 of 1944
Just acquired (10 May 2011) an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Coupled it to a Marantz 7005 pre amp using XLR cables from Monoprice. Worked beautifully from day one. Switched it on this evening (17 May) to a loud bang with smoke from the chassis. Switched it off immediately. Contacted Emotiva by email. Awaiting reply. Anyone else with this problem?
post #96 of 1944
I have an XPA5 and a 3. Don't plug it in the conditioner, use the direct wall outlet. When I had mine in the monster AVS2000, some of the channels would cut out. The AVS could not keep up with the power needs of the amp. When I plugged in the wall, no issues since.
OTOH, before I sold my Denon 3808ci, I had it plugged in the AVS2000 and then the 7000. No issues with cutouts. So even with the power draw of the reciever, it didn't come close to the XPA-5 or XPA-3.
post #97 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by semmanuel View Post

Just acquired (10 May 2011) an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Coupled it to a Marantz 7005 pre amp using XLR cables from Monoprice. Worked beautifully from day one. Switched it on this evening (17 May) to a loud bang with smoke from the chassis. Switched it off immediately. Contacted Emotiva by email. Awaiting reply. Anyone else with this problem?

I had that happen to my XPA-3 when I first plugged it in The replacement they sent works fine. Be curious if they replace yours as it's so new, or force you to send it in for service.
post #98 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by semmanuel View Post

Just acquired (10 May 2011) an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Coupled it to a Marantz 7005 pre amp using XLR cables from Monoprice. Worked beautifully from day one. Switched it on this evening (17 May) to a loud bang with smoke from the chassis. Switched it off immediately. Contacted Emotiva by email. Awaiting reply. Anyone else with this problem?

I would call Emotiva over the phone. Its more direct and personal. I don't like using email for customer issues unless it's the only way to get through. Email is also the easiest way to get blown off by companies. Im not saying Emotiva is doing this. There is definitely something wrong with your amplifier. You should be able to do a return exchange since your within the 30 day return window.
post #99 of 1944
So I'm thinking of getting the XPA-5. I have 2 DefTech Mythos ST and they're self powered, so curious to know how that's going to work with the XPA-5? Will it know? How does this amp determine how much power to send to each channel? Sorry, still learning about supplementary amps.
post #100 of 1944
Maybe only the sub is powered? So they work like standard speakers for the most part? An amp would be powering only the unpowered speakers.
post #101 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhzz35 View Post

So I'm thinking of getting the XPA-5. I have 2 DefTech Mythos ST and they're self powered, so curious to know how that's going to work with the XPA-5? Will it know? How does this amp determine how much power to send to each channel? Sorry, still learning about supplementary amps.

Your sub within the tower is powered by its own 300w amp. Your tower's 5 1/4" midrange speakers still need power from either your AV receiver by itself, or AV receiver/power amplifier or a preamplifier/power amplifier (the xpa-5 is a power amplifier).

I dont know your current receiver configuration, but Im assuming it is less than the xpa-5 200w/channel (otherwise why would you be asking). Your tower's recommended associated amplifier power is 20 – 350 watts so you shouldnt have any problems at 200w/ch.

A bunch of factors affect "how much power" is sent to each channel, but since you're well within the manufacturers guidelines (20-350), you will have absolutely no problem. What you would notice is your speakers coming to life in ways you probably wouldnt have thought possible - clarity, sound stage, etc, without having to crank the volume (I can tell you this from experience, going from a high end AV receiver pumping out 140w/ch, to the xpa-5 pumping 200w/ch on my Def Tech 7001SC).
post #102 of 1944
What do you guys feel about going with the XPA-5 with my Yamaha RSX-V 1800 to power my Monitor Audio Silver RX8s? Ive been wanting an external amp for a long time and feel like Emotvias XPA-5 is a really nice piece of equipment.
post #103 of 1944
im saving up for a yamaha RX-A1000 to pair up with the XPA-5. does anybody here having the same equipment setup?

how about the power surge or power supply? what kind of power supply will i use to power up the reciever and the amplifier?

please help. thanks!
post #104 of 1944
I am really looking forward to driving my custom speakers with this amp. In the meantime, I'm curious to know whether anyone has paired it up with an Emo UMC-1 Pre/Pro and, if so, you're thoughts on their combined performance. Thanks in advance.
post #105 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I added an Integra DHC-80.2 to the Emotiva XPA-5, and I'm noticing an incredible increase in audible detail over my previous pre/pro, the Denon ACR-4310CI. That being said, there was an issue during Audyssey XT/32 calibration where one amp channel blinked red, while the others turned off. I unplugged the Amp from my Panamax Power Conditioner, and plugged it into a different linear filter and I haven't experienced the problem since. I just wanted to put it out there in case someone else comes across this issue.

On this thread I've read:
1) Use no power conditioner, plug XPA-5 straight into the wall
2) Problems with Panamax and Monster power conditioners (Panamax above)
3) Plugging it into a "different linear filter" seemed to work (also above)

Would like to know what that "linear filter" is, and overall guess I'm perplexed that there aren't good power conditioners to run a PA from (other than those over-the-top $3k+ designs out there that take a nuclear power plant to keep alive). I mean, the 60 Hz 110VAC waveform from your wall is dirty as hell, does that mean the XPA amps have sufficient onboard filtering to reject all that noise? And furthermore, these power conditioners are supposed to protect your equipment (surge, overvoltage, etc.) right? So again, what - an XPA amp has its own PS protection built-in? I don't think so. I'm lost on this subject...
post #106 of 1944
I am thinking about buying two XPA-5's and an XPA-2 to run an 11.1 system. I currently run a 9.1 system (with 4 surrounds and 2 front wides) and use a Denon AVR-4810CI to drive the 9 speakers plus one sub. The AVR can handle 11 pre-out channels plus 3 subs, but it only has actual 9 amp channels rated at 140w each. So I need an extra two amp channels to go to my desired 11.1 system with the two more front height speakers that I plan to add. So rather than just buying a 2-ch amp for the extra two channels that I need, and continue to use existing receiver's 9 amp channels, I want to power all 11 channels through separate amp units and run my AVR as a pre/pro for now and eventually replace that with a real pre/pro when I can afford it. My speakers are all Paradigm Reference Studio series. I use 100's for the front mains, 60's for the wides, cc-690 for the center, 4 adp-590 surrounds and a servo-15 sub. (I have not bought the front height speakers yet, but they will definitely be Paradigm too when I do.)

So anyway, I have two questions...

1. will using the Emotiva amps do my system justice? That is, will I hear that much improvement over the 140w channels of my Denon?

2. how current are the Emotiva amps? Are they likely to be upgraded to new models any time soon? I'd hate to fork out $2600 on these three amps only to find out that new models are coming out.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any advice.
post #107 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK1963 View Post

On this thread I've read:
1) Use no power conditioner, plug XPA-5 straight into the wall

Works fine with my APC S-15.
post #108 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

All electronic circuits have noise. It's physics at work. You can reduce, but not eliminate it.

By various accounts, the XPA series is not the quietest amp out there. Better than my Crown amp though. I can hear hiss from 18 to 12" from my Klipsch speakers with that thing connected.

Michael I am new to the anp addition and have read in other forums about this hiss/hum comming from the XPA-5 as well. I am running an 11.2 Denon when I add an amp. Fronts are KLF-30's .center RC-7,Wide's RF-7's, Heights RB-75's Sides KSP-S6's and rears RS-7's coupled with 2 1000 watt SVS PB-13 Ultras. All my speakers are 95% and up. I only heard the complaints and the need to send the XPA back in but never heard if the issue was corrected. I would hater to hear a hiss from my horns esp with as many as I have. Has anyone had this problem and had it corrected? The one case I heard of pertained to two channels being worse than the others even after changing input and what was connected to them, making all believe the amp was at fault. Wish they would have reported the outcome. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Bob
post #109 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by kee68 View Post


Michael I am new to the anp addition and have read in other forums about this hiss/hum comming from the XPA-5 as well. I am running an 11.2 Denon when I add an amp. Fronts are KLF-30's .center RC-7,Wide's RF-7's, Heights RB-75's Sides KSP-S6's and rears RS-7's coupled with 2 1000 watt SVS PB-13 Ultras. All my speakers are 95% and up. I only heard the complaints and the need to send the XPA back in but never heard if the issue was corrected. I would hater to hear a hiss from my horns esp with as many as I have. Has anyone had this problem and had it corrected? The one case I heard of pertained to two channels being worse than the others even after changing input and what was connected to them, making all believe the amp was at fault. Wish they would have reported the outcome. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Bob

So you don't have the amp yet and you're just wondering about noise? All of my speakers are horns and my XPA-5 is fairly quiet with 90db sensitive speakers. My mains are 97db sensitive and are powered by a pair of XPA-1's and those speakers are also quiet. If you put your ear two inches from my speakers you can hear just a slight hiss.
post #110 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

So you don't have the amp yet and you're just wondering about noise? All of my speakers are horns and my XPA-5 is fairly quiet with 90db sensitive speakers. My mains are 97db sensitive and are powered by a pair of XPA-1's and those speakers are also quiet. If you put your ear two inches from my speakers you can hear just a slight hiss.

Thx Squirrel. I remember someone on the forum talking about the ADC but then you start getting into a lot more cash.
post #111 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

The salesman's smile can be deceptive...

That Onkyo will only offer you the advertised 110w for a speck of time, with only two channels driven. Add seven channels, all driven and you would weep if you knew the actual power being sent to your speakers...

The above truth broke my heart years ago.

Just wondering if you can elaborate on this? What kind of numbers do you get? I have an Onkyo 875 and am wondering if I need to get an XPA-5 for my 7.2 system?

UPDATE: Emotiva has a holiday sale right now. Just picked up the XPA-5 for $769. Good deal as I was looking at this last week for $899. Glad I waited.
post #112 of 1944
i'm thinking of pairing the xpa-5 with a denon 3311ci, is this a good pairing?
I also plan on placing the 33ci on top of the emotiva stacked any issues with this? Is the sound warm/natural or bright/harsh/sharp?
post #113 of 1944
sorry, one more question what RCA brand cables do you use to connect the amp to the receiver? Anyone suggest a decent brand?
post #114 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernut2000 View Post

sorry, one more question what RCA brand cables do you use to connect the amp to the receiver? Anyone suggest a decent brand?

I'm running Vampire Wire. But any RCA stereo type of wire will work.
post #115 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernut2000 View Post

sorry, one more question what RCA brand cables do you use to connect the amp to the receiver? Anyone suggest a decent brand?

I recommend Silver Serpent Anniversary Edition Audio Interconnect Cables from Better Cables. A 1/2 meter costs $29.98 + free shipping.
post #116 of 1944
thanks for the recommendations. Does anyone know if stacking the emotiva xpa-5 is okay or not? i plan on placing the denon 3311ci on top of the emotiva.
post #117 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernut2000 View Post

thanks for the recommendations. Does anyone know if stacking the emotiva xpa-5 is okay or not? i plan on placing the denon 3311ci on top of the emotiva.

Yes you can stack components on the XPA-5 but I suggest you use risers like these from AV Risers. If you go with AV Risers as I did, be sure to first e-mail Rick, the owner, before buying and tell him you want the 1/4" riser that doesn't have felt pads on one side (which is the side that will face down on the Emo).
post #118 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

Yes you can stack components on the XPA-5 but I suggest you use risers like these from AV Risers. If you go with AV Risers as I did, be sure to first e-mail Rick, the owner, before buying and tell him you want the 1/4" riser that doesn't have felt pads on one side (which is the side that will face down on the Emo).

Thank you so very much!!! I was thinking about how cool would it be if someone invented something like this and wondered if anyone made it but did not know what keywords to use to google it. This is exactly what i need. Awesome!!! Placed my order for the emotiva and the suggested cables.

One more question my speakers have 80Hz-20Khz range what should i set my denon crossover points at. I set the sub to 80 but don't know what to set the front and rears to. Audyssey was all over the place. Right now its is at manually set to 120. My speakers are triad bronze lcr in ceiling, rears triad surrounds silver.
post #119 of 1944
You should not use a crossover less than 80hz. Ten hz above the speakers lowest frequency rating is a good start. I would try 90hz 100hz or 120hz and see what sounds better. Audyssey may have already choose the best crossover. Some say to never select a crossover below what Audyssey selects. You need to keep in mind what your speakers are really capable of if do select lower crossovers. Your LPF of LFE should be set to 120hz. The only reason to set it lower is if you're having subwoofer localization issues. Otherwise your throwing away LFE content setting it lower than 120hz. This lost content can't be redirected to get it back.
post #120 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

You should not use a crossover less than 80hz. Ten hz above the speakers lowest frequency rating is a good start. I would try 90hz 100hz or 120hz and see what sounds better. Audyssey may have already choose the best crossover. Some say to never select a crossover below what Audyssey selects. You need to keep in mind what your speakers are really capable of if do select lower crossovers. Your LPF of LFE should be set to 120hz. The only reason to set it lower is if you're having subwoofer localization issues. Otherwise your throwing away LFE content setting it lower than 120hz. This lost content can't be redirected to get it back.

+ 1. Also, if I recall correctly, there's an article about the subject in the latest edition of the Home Theater mag which you might want to read (I don't think it's posted online yet).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread