or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 9

post #241 of 994
Reports like that give me hope! (Keeping fingers crossed otherwise 3 strikes and Samsung Plasma is probably out for me)
post #242 of 994
i can definitely hear a directional buzz and its really bothersome. Im getting the tv hooked up to dtv tomorrow so i don't know yet if the volume will drown out the buzz, but is it true that some of you notice less buzz after breaking in the tv, because i'd rather spend time breaking it in than have to go through the hassle of exchanging for a new one.
post #243 of 994
BB/GeekSquad Tech came this morning. Said he could barely hear the buzz and that he was not aware of a buzz issue with Samsungs. I could not believe he said that. I kept it professional and did not argue. I am going today to exchange for a new one. This will be my one and only attempt at getting a c550 that doesn't buzz. If it does, then I guess a new Panny or LG will be in my future.
post #244 of 994
My 58c6500 definitely has the directional buzz. I'm not going to bother exchanging because of the hassle and super high likelyhood of getting another buzzer. If you haven't bought a samsung plasma, just consider it as a possible downside before you buy.
post #245 of 994
Bought a 58C6400, no buzz at all. PQ is excellent. Best I have seen on a plasma!
post #246 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay541 View Post

i can definitely hear a directional buzz and its really bothersome. Im getting the tv hooked up to dtv tomorrow so i don't know yet if the volume will drown out the buzz, but is it true that some of you notice less buzz after breaking in the tv, because i'd rather spend time breaking it in than have to go through the hassle of exchanging for a new one.

I own a B series Sammy(B650), so for what its worth, the buzz on my set definately dropped a ton between 300-700-ish hours. It tends to be different depending on the cell light setting, and strangely(and happily), its at its lowest and nearly non-existant at cell light 10(all the way up, i think cell light 20 on the 2010 models). At times, I feel like I can hear a slight buzz, so I'll mute the sound, then realize the sound is coming from my overheard ceiling fan. So I'll turn the fan off, and barely hear anything, even at dead center(10-12 ft away).

Again, take it for what its worth. Its a 2009 model, and I actually exchanged a pretty loud (in any part of the room) B560 for it. If you have a somewhat directional buzz that isnt absolutely overwhelming, you might be in for a nice surprise a few hundred hours in. I'm as picky and anal as they come when it comes to my displays, and i think I'm finally at the point where its a non-issue.
post #247 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

I own a B series Sammy(B650), so for what its worth, the buzz on my set definately dropped a ton between 300-700-ish hours. It tends to be different depending on the cell light setting, and strangely(and happily), its at its lowest and nearly non-existant at cell light 10(all the way up, i think cell light 20 on the 2010 models). At times, I feel like I can hear a slight buzz, so I'll mute the sound, then realize the sound is coming from my overheard ceiling fan. So I'll turn the fan off, and barely hear anything, even at dead center(10-12 ft away).

Again, take it for what its worth. Its a 2009 model, and I actually exchanged a pretty loud (in any part of the room) B560 for it. If you have a somewhat directional buzz that isnt absolutely overwhelming, you might be in for a nice surprise a few hundred hours in. I'm as picky and anal as they come when it comes to my displays, and i think I'm finally at the point where its a non-issue.

That's good to hear.
I hope mine quiets down after a few hundred hours. If not, I can live with it.
post #248 of 994
I'm around 200 hours with no difference at all with mine. The strange thing is the buzz seems louder with blacks vs other colors which seems to be the opposite of the way PDP buzz usually is.

One interesting thing is that my father who is 60 can barely hear any buzz even though he has great hearing while my wife and I who are 30 can hear it very loud without even trying to listen for it. It seems it may the buzz may be at a frequency that you can't hear as much as you get older.

At http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/ I can hear up to 21 kHz at high volume. The sound of the buzz on my PN63C8000 is directional where you can hear it the most when sitting center in front of the panel. When I sit to the side I can't hear it as much but it seems it can be at a higher frequency that hurts your ears like when listing to the higher frequencies from the link I provided.

Upon doing further research online about PDP buzz I found some people eliminated with acoustic panels so I looking in to that as a possible solution.
post #249 of 994
Has anyone who had an abnormally loud buzzer got a replacement that has been much quieter or not buzzed at all?
post #250 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

I'm around 200 hours with no difference at all with mine. The strange thing is the buzz seems louder with blacks vs other colors which seems to be the opposite of the way PDP buzz usually is.

One interesting thing is that my father who is 60 can barely hear any buzz even though he has great hearing while my wife and I who are 30 can hear it very loud without even trying to listen for it. It seems it may the buzz may be at a frequency that you can't hear as much as you get older.

At http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/ I can hear up to 21 kHz at high volume. The sound of the buzz on my PN63C8000 is directional where you can hear it the most when sitting center in front of the panel. When I sit to the side I can't hear it as much but it seems it can be at a higher frequency that hurts your ears like when listing to the higher frequencies from the link I provided.

Upon doing further research online about PDP buzz I found some people eliminated with acoustic panels so I looking in to that as a possible solution.

Where did you read this? My slight buzz is just a narrow 12" area in the front of the tv, about 9' back, I was also wondering if there was a way to "absorb" the high pitched buzz so it cant be heard at all... I am still in my 30 day return window but I really dont want to return it and get one with a louder buzz..
post #251 of 994
In my experience, sound absorption helped if the buzz was generated behind the tv. (My 50b450 had louder than normal plasma buzz from behind the set.) But I don't know what sound panels can do for a buzz generating from the panel itself.
post #252 of 994
There is a post of this forum with pictures: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23805

I thought that the buzz was coming from the back of my panel because you can hear it from there but when I put a thick blanket over it the buzz doesn't dampen at all
The buzz seems to be emitting from the panel so in all directions!
post #253 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdom View Post

Where did you read this? My slight buzz is just a narrow 12" area in the front of the tv, about 9' back, I was also wondering if there was a way to "absorb" the high pitched buzz so it cant be heard at all... I am still in my 30 day return window but I really dont want to return it and get one with a louder buzz..

My c550 buzzes in the same fashion except i sit 12' away and it's not slight. I can also hear it in the back of my room 21' away(ridiculous). Off to either side a couple of feet and you cannot hear the buzz unless you are right up against the tv.

I was at BB/Mag today and the manager said that they have had an abnormal amount of 550-series returned because of buzzing. It seems that the 8000-series has not been nearly as bad (his words).
post #254 of 994
I fixed my loud buzzer!!

I bought a pn50c550 2 weeks ago and after a few days it started making a very loud buzzing sound. I'm talking loud enough to hear 12 feet away with the refrigerator running 4 ft from my head and a room fan running. Only when there was a lot of sound action was the buzz masked. The tv speakers are turned off, I'm using my AVR speakers. The sound was definatly comming from the TV, not the speakers.

This was unacceptable, but I really didn't want to return the TV. I tried pressing my hand on different parts of the back cover and was able to change the sound. Squeezing on the bezel and back cover on the indent above the ports on the left side really quieted the noise. I though I'd see if maybe putting rubber pads between the housing and the cover would stop the noise. With the TV on I started loosening (about 1 turn) the screws on the left side (by the ports) near the bottom. When I loosened the 3rd screw up from the bottom along the left edge, the noise instantly stopped. I re-tightened all but that screw and the noise hasn't returned.

This was about a week ago and 25hrs of on time.

Now, I do get very mild buzzing, comparable to the High voltage transformer whine of my 32" crt. If you have the sound off and really focus on the buzz you can hear it. It's comparable to the high voltage whine that my 32" CRT unit made. The buzz is quieter than the fan on my DVR unit. Totally acceptable and hardly noticeable when you have the sound on. The TV is defiantly a keeper now.

I'd suggest trying this if you have a loud buzzer, you've got nothing to loose. If you are still within the return period I would make sure you have a screwdriver that fits well and doesn't mar the coating on the screws. Be careful that the screwdriver doesn't pop out when you loosen the screws (press in firmly). If you do return it, you don't want it to be obvious that you worked on the unit. If you get shiney silver marks on the screws, a black or brown sharpie should touch them up.
post #255 of 994
I believe this type of fix will only work if the buzz from your panel is from vibration. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent any buzz on my TV as the buzz is coming from the panel itself in all areas including the back of it.
post #256 of 994
I just got the 58C7000 and sure enough I have a very obnoxious buzzing hissing type noise coming directly out of the front of the screen. It's only bothersome if the TV is facing me directly and I am sitting vertically level with it. Sitting off center or a little higher than center makes the noise mostly inaudible. It is an extremely narrow field of directional noise shooting out the middle of the screen. There is no buzz coming from the back of the screen, it is all out the front.

My guess is that they all have this problem and the people who can't hear it just are not facing the screen directly or aren't at eye-level with the centre of the screen.

It really sucks because otherwise the TV is superb. Not sure what to do...
post #257 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

The strange thing is the buzz seems louder with blacks vs other colors which seems to be the opposite of the way PDP buzz usually is.

Mine is the same, buzzes more with more black on screen, eg. a blank input screen is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

I put a thick blanket over it the buzz doesn't dampen at all

I tried that too, had no effect on mine either. I guess this is because the sound is coming out the front.
post #258 of 994
This is exactly what is happening to my 58c7000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue View Post

I just got the 58C7000 and sure enough I have a very obnoxious buzzing hissing type noise coming directly out of the front of the screen. It's only bothersome if the TV is facing me directly and I am sitting vertically level with it. Sitting off center or a little higher than center makes the noise mostly inaudible. It is an extremely narrow field of directional noise shooting out the middle of the screen. There is no buzz coming from the back of the screen, it is all out the front.

My guess is that they all have this problem and the people who can't hear it just are not facing the screen directly or aren't at eye-level with the centre of the screen.

It really sucks because otherwise the TV is superb. Not sure what to do...
post #259 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue View Post

My guess is that they all have this problem and the people who can't hear it just are not facing the screen directly or aren't at eye-level with the centre of the screen.


There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the buzz sometimes. I have a directional buzz coming from the top of the screen (63c550) shooting to the right. The beam is only a few inches wide. You have to be standing up, go to that spot, and turn your ear towards the tv to clearly hear it. If you are facing the tv directly, you can barely hear it. This means a person would hear something "odd" for a split second walking in front of the tv and that would have to be with the volume down. Fortunately, it doesn't affect any of my seating areas in the entire room and hasn't changed in 3 months. There is actually an extra seat less than 4 feet to the left of the tv and the tv is quiet. So since it's only that one obscure spot...the tv is a keeper. It's almost like someone tested the tv, heard the buzz, and turned something inside the tv to move it the far right.

Anyway, I'm glad. I couldn't deal with buzzing from the center of the screen. That's my favorite chair.
post #260 of 994
mine is still buzzing just as loud as the day i got it. i dont know the exact number, but i'd say I have 300-500 hours on it, probably more.

I wall mounted the tv (63c8000) so that the bottom bezel of the tv now sits roughly at eye level from my viewing position on the couch. I'm much happier with this setup. Just like others, dark scenes are the worst. Bright scenes make it much quieter.

This was the only solution I could find, short of getting a completely different TV.
post #261 of 994
Yep Yep, all the same on my 58C7000, bought from Amazon 2 weeks ago and I dont mind it... but I find myself making sure I dont sit right in center.. Wondering if this will annoy me down the road when the honeymoon is over...

Is only audible when no sound is on, and louder during black/dark scenes..

I am almost certain if I exchange for another it will be the same... maybe I try a 58c8000??
post #262 of 994
If you do NOT use the TV speakers (I run everything thru my ES), do you still get this buzzing?
post #263 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post

If you do NOT use the TV speakers (I run everything thru my ES), do you still get this buzzing?

Yes, it's not coming from the speakers but the screen itself.
post #264 of 994
Want to hear a funny thing? Went to Samsung's site and to the knowledge base, typed in "buzzing" and hit return.. It shut my browser down.. HA!
I guess the best fix is ignorance and APIs
post #265 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post

Want to hear a funny thing? Went to Samsung's site and to the knowledge base, typed in "buzzing" and hit return.. It shut my browser down.. HA!
I guess the best fix is ignorance and APIs

I'll mention it again guys. I don't have the c8000 manual anymore since I returned it BUT I talks about buzzing in it. I think in the faq's or troubleshooting section. It says it's normal.
post #266 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejunkie View Post

I'll mention it again guys. I don't have the c8000 manual anymore since I returned it BUT I talks about buzzing in it. I think in the faq's or troubleshooting section. It says it's normal.

Its normal if you can't hear it above normal listening volume from your normal viewing position.

It is not normal if you can hear the buzz from your normal viewing position and your normal listening volume (Samsung tech usually use volume of 10 as the guide).

When its not normal and within 14 days of purchase the panel is deemed to be DOA by Samsung and they will give you a straight product swap (via the retailer).
post #267 of 994
I went to the shopping center today and listened to 3 different 58C7000's on display. I thought the first one might have had the same front directional buzz but I couldn't be certain because there were loud ventilation fans on the ceiling above. The second and third sets were in much quieter environments and I couldn't detect any buzz at all, even with my ear facing the screen and moving all around the screen at various angles and distances. I'm reasonably confident that if they were buzzing I would have heard it.

I don't think the buzz is normal based on listening to those two display models and I have asked my retailer for an exchange of my set. Although, I'm not getting my hopes up because I know others on here have had them exchanged and still buzzed.
post #268 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalena View Post

Its normal if you can't hear it above normal listening volume from your normal viewing position.

It is not normal if you can hear the buzz from your normal viewing position and your normal listening volume (Samsung tech usually use volume of 10 as the guide).

When its not normal and within 14 days of purchase the panel is deemed to be DOA by Samsung and they will give you a straight product swap (via the retailer).

Thx that's good to hear. Got my PN58C7000 yesterday, breaking it in currently, but mine buzzes quite loudly. Haven't had a chance to arrange things in my game room yet, will have to see how noticeable it is once things are in position.

Also has a couple dead pixels, so I sure hope they take this pos back.

I'm done with plasmas now, didn't even know they got dead pixels, which is the #1 reason I dislike LCDs.
post #269 of 994
I have a 58" C8000 with directional buzz. I noticed it immediately when I turned it on and it was scanning for channels (surely there must be legitimate non-buzzers out there as you would have to be on another planet not to notice the buzz when you first switch the TV on, either that or you just don't care).

The buzz is very directional and only noticeable from directly in front of the screen (just great for a 3D TV...) and just left of centre. Of the 5 seats in our living room, 1.5 have noticeable buzz, the others are as quiet as a mouse.

Having owned a Sony Bravia LCD, Philips LCD and Panasonic Viera plasma I'm familiar with normal electronic buzz and plasma buzz, and the Samsung is by far the loudest and imo not acceptable (FWIW the Panasonic plasma is dead quiet and the Bravia is audible because of the fan).

Even though I have passed the 14 day period (I really wanted to give the TV another go as the PQ is superb) the retailer has arranged for a brand new TV to be delivered on Tuesday (will let you know how it goes). In the event I get another buzzer its goodbye Samsung and hello Panasonic as the retailer is fine with a product swap (and i'll be prepared to pay the difference to upgrade to the Pana). Imo putting up with audible buzzing or being forced to mount the TV above head height just so you don't hear the buzz is not acceptable for a flagship model.
post #270 of 994
Picked up a 58C550 two weeks ago. No buzz from the 1st day. Very nice TV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz