or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 20

post #571 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

Seems to be exclusive to Samsungs.

I've yet to see a single 63" Samsung plasma from 2010 which doesn't buzz - that'd be 4/4 including a floor model, which was audible in a busy big box store (!).

I'm of the opinion that every Samsung 63" buzzes. Some people are unable to hear it, which is very good for them. But if you are able to hear it, my unprofessional advice would be to steer clear. I've had three delivered to my house now, all buzz.

63" c550 2010. Had for 3-4 months. No buzzing from my seated location, dead center, 10-11 feet away. If it was a dead center buzzer I could hear it. I can hear my 50" 2009 Samsung w/ higher than normal plasma buzz.

Samsung seems to have more reports of buzzing than other brands. Simply... not all of them buzz. But I do feel that the number reported buzzing is unacceptable and Samsung needs to do something about it.
post #572 of 994
I'm thinking of getting an exchange, maybe get one with better directional buzz. I can still hear buzz at eye level with the bezel and slightly below it, after that it's very hard to hear it. Also the black performance on my 58" is somewhat disturbing, especially coming from an LCD which actually performed better in this area, minus the flashlighting/clouding.
post #573 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

When would we expect 2011's to be released? Like cars, any day now, or in calendar 2011?

New models are announced at the CES in early January and become available over the following months.
post #574 of 994
I've got a 2009 model PN58B550 and it didn't buzz when I bought it, but eventually developed the issue. Samsung scheduled a repair. First they tried to replace the power supply and SUS (?) boards, TVstill buzzed, so they requested a replacement panel. The panel was installed last Friday, and it's still buzzing, just as loud as ever. I can here it from 12 feet away, over low volumes. It's nothing short of absolutely annoying when you havea "silent" scene in a movie and you hear the buzz. So what's next? Should I call Samsung back, or go right to Best Buy and see if they'll let me return it for a different TV??

What have any of you done once you've exhausted the 'repair" options?

Thanks,

post #575 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Have most people had this right away or have some popped up later?

The first thing I did when my 50C7000 was unpacked was check for buzzing. With my head panning across the entire screen at a distance of one inch, I heard absolutely nothing. I've now had the set for about three months and two weeks ago it started buzzing very noticeably. Now, whenever there is a bright screen - games are the worst - I hear a very distinct buzz. Although it is directional, I hear it almost anywhere in the room (viewing distance about 8 feet). I'm genuinely displeased and will be scheduling service ASAP.

Interestingly, I emailed them first about the problem and said something to the effect of "I know Samsung is aware of this issue." The represenative proceeded to respond by saying they are not aware any such defect while including a troubleshooting guide at the end of the message, headline: "what to do if your Samsung plasma buzzes."
post #576 of 994
Any new updates from el_teduardo?
post #577 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowker View Post

I've got a 2009 model PN58B550 and it didn't buzz when I bought it, but eventually developed the issue. Samsung scheduled a repair. First they tried to replace the power supply and SUS (?) boards, TVstill buzzed, so they requested a replacement panel. The panel was installed last Friday, and it's still buzzing, just as loud as ever. I can here it from 12 feet away, over low volumes. It's nothing short of absolutely annoying when you havea "silent" scene in a movie and you hear the buzz. So what's next? Should I call Samsung back, or go right to Best Buy and see if they'll let me return it for a different TV??

What have any of you done once you've exhausted the 'repair" options?

Thanks,


I would get the dealer involved and see if they can get things done with Samsung. Its much easier when the dealer is one your side If they care to help. I used to get calls like this all the time when Pioneer was around and had to get all the engineers involved to try to fix the buzzing problem.
post #578 of 994
I can call them, but it's Best Buy. Does anyone have any experience with their customer service in cases like this? Any tips or comments on how to get them to help me out?

Thanks again,
post #579 of 994
Received my 58C6400 last week it looked great right out of the box.
Played around with my HTPC for a couple of hrs before I noticed a ringing in my ears and my right ear was 'muffled" for lack of better a word.
Over the next few days I finally realized that it was repeatable and only occurred when I was in the same room as my plasma.
There are 2 types of noise being emitted from my large glass "speaker"
A lower freq. buzzing whose amplitude and freq are modulated by what's being displayed. The buzzing intensifies and freq increases as the colour being displayed changes from black to white. That sounds like a crappy switch mode design that is under powered.
But more importantly there is a higher freq ( 10kHZ and up beyond my hearing range that ends roughly at 15kHz) sound that is seems to be there all the time, although as the low freq buzzing increases it makes it somewhat difficult to hear both at the same time.
This high freq component giving my headaches and very sore ears. While the main lobe being emitted from the display is quite directional, I'm sure there are side lobes being bounced off the walls and straight into my ears.

Called Samsung... I'm first to report any buzzing issues with my plasma. ( They had no reports of buzzing from last year either , if you can believe that load of bollocks.
"Turn up the volume, do you still hear it" That's ridiculous on so many levels but I did mention that just because you brain doesn't report you hearing it doesn't mean it's not still being transmitted into the room. Just because we can become habituated to it doesn't mean it's not damaging your hearing.
I love the PQ, but from a design perspective, this TV is a steaming pile of....

Let's see what the service tech says . I'm sure he'll bring a sound pressure meter do make this a worth while scientific test... ya right

Rolls eyes
post #580 of 994
Haha, I had the exact same reaction as you;

"What's that weird noise? Why do I only hear it sometimes?"

Found this forum because of it.

Does your retailer have a generous return policy?
post #581 of 994
Stainedglass,

And I thought I wa the only one :-) ... well according to Samsung I am ;-)

It will be returning to the source that gave birth to this wretched thing, I am mearly humoring the store with the request to have a tech look at it. The Store took one look at me and said ... don't owrry Sir, you are not :stuck with it. we will give you another one , or you can exchange to another type/model/brand etc. They have been very good to me in the past, so I expect the same this time.

How did yours work out?
post #582 of 994
Went through three of them before I said "Stuff it," and went Panasonic. Panny arrives later this week.

With the 58, you may actually be able to find one which doesn't buzz if you trade it out a few times. Though some have reported no buzz initially - that it started to buzz later.

Am concerned with black issues on Panasonic as well... Hope I don't have to track down a Kuro @ outrageous price.
post #583 of 994
Yes, I am 'bout to go with a Panny, but I'm not sure which one. I have a LED upstairs for regular TV, that'a about all it's good for. I love Plasma PQ but there seem to be problems with all plasma model brands these days.
G(T)25 or VT25... VT is another 1K$ . I'd go with the G series if it was actually able to do 24fps, having said that I hear that even the VT has issues with 24fps. I don't need 3D just yet as it's in it's infancy ... I don't really want to be an early adopter. I guess it's going to be the VT even those those 3D glasses are horrible wrt to the samusung ones. Of course I want a 58 so that pretty much makes my choce for me :-0
What model did you go with ?
Hey.. I appreciate having someone to chat with who actually understands that "wierd" noise that only me and my "sensitive hearing" can hear.



Cheers
post #584 of 994
It seems that some of the more experienced store employees are aware of the buzzing issues. From sales people, I've heard responses as varied as, "Never heard of it," to , "My personal TV was buzzing and driving me crazy until I got rid of it," and, "We've had lots of returns and complaints about this issue with '09s, can't believe the '10s do it too!"

It does seem much more common with the 63s than 58s though, so who knows.

I went with 65VT25; only the VT25 and S2 are avail in 65" form, so my hands are a bit tied.

Oh, and I wouldn't be too concerned over 24fps. I am no expert, but from what I've read it's not that great.
post #585 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

Went through three of them before I said "Stuff it," and went Panasonic. Panny arrives later this week.

With the 58, you may actually be able to find one which doesn't buzz if you trade it out a few times. Though some have reported no buzz initially - that it started to buzz later.

Am concerned with black issues on Panasonic as well... Hope I don't have to track down a Kuro @ outrageous price.

You will be happy with VT25. I went through several Samsungs for buzzing issue until I finally got frustrated and went with VT25. No buzzing and great picture.
post #586 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

It seems that some of the more experienced store employees are aware of the buzzing issues. From sales people, I've heard responses as varied as, "Never heard of it," to , "My personal TV was buzzing and driving me crazy until I got rid of it," and, "We've had lots of returns and complaints about this issue with '09s, can't believe the '10s do it too!"

It does seem much more common with the 63s than 58s though, so who knows.

I went with 65VT25; only the VT25 and S2 are avail in 65" form, so my hands are a bit tied.

Oh, and I wouldn't be too concerned over 24fps. I am no expert, but from what I've read it's not that great.

It appears it depends on who wants to be honest at Samsung. HHGregg manager called Samsung directly because of the number of Samsung Plasmas that were being returned due to buzzing. The rep told him they are aware of issue but do not have a fix and do not expect a fix anytime soon.
post #587 of 994
This thread just ruled out the Samsungs for me.

The other thread ruled out the Panasonics for me.

...I'm going to the movies instead.
post #588 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSN View Post

This thread just ruled out the Samsungs for me.

The other thread ruled out the Panasonics for me.

...I'm going to the movies instead.

Tell me about it ... That's why I will probably wait till 2011 models. If I had too right now though it would be Sammy 63
post #589 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSN View Post

This thread just ruled out the Samsungs for me.

The other thread ruled out the Panasonics for me.

...I'm going to the movies instead.

Kuro!

Or just get a soap opera machine - er I mean LCD.
post #590 of 994
Just got a PN58C590 brand new (manufactured in Sept/Oct 2010) that's a super loud buzzer! The screen's at eye level about 13 feet away and it's very loud right in the center position. It really kills the enjoyment of watching tv for me especially quiet scenes in a movie. I can't even press mute to mute the sound and it constantly rings in my ears! I wish I found this thread earlier so that I wouldn't have to deal with returning this thing and hoping that the next one is better...
post #591 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowker View Post

I can call them, but it's Best Buy. Does anyone have any experience with their customer service in cases like this? Any tips or comments on how to get them to help me out?

Thanks again,

It really depends on the person you get on the phone. Try to get the manager involved. I know that when I call Samsung when there is an issue its a different conversation than a consumer would call directly. But not all sales people would do that
post #592 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

Kuro!

Or just get a soap opera machine - er I mean LCD.

Yea Kuros dont buzz
post #593 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Yea Kuros dont buzz

Have owned seven plasmas of various size over the past eight years (Samsung, Runco, Fujitsu) - haven't had anything other than plasma for primary TV since 2002 - and none buzz like this 63C7000.

In other words, yes, all plasmas buzz. Some louder than others. But some of these Sammys are either louder or buzz at a frequency which really bothers some people; I can watch my other 63" and 50" plasmas with no problem, but the slim Samsungs give me fits.
post #594 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

Have owned seven plasmas of various size over the past eight years, and none buzz like this 63C7000.

In other words, yes, all plasmas buzz. Some louder than others. But some of these Sammys are either louder or at a frequency which really bothers some people; I can watch my other 63" and 50" plasmas with no problem, but the slim Samsungs give me fits.

Assuming you replaced it already and tried a couple of units? I hate to say it but I have taken the same unit from one clients house to another and it buzzed at one place and not the other. Yea and it sometimes buzzes and I can hear and the other person cant like you mentioned.
post #595 of 994
I went through three 63C7000s before giving up on them. Felt bad having the retailer come out again and again.

It's too bad, as the Samsungs look great - both design and picture.
post #596 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Assuming you replaced it already and tried a couple of units? I hate to say it but I have taken the same unit from one clients house to another and it buzzed at one place and not the other. Yea and it sometimes buzzes and I can hear and the other person cant like you mentioned.

Interesting. I posed the same exercise a while back... if one could take their buzzing TV to another house and determine whether it buzzed to the same extent. If the buzz varied, would that point to electrical wiring differences (assumes other parameters are held constant, e.g., room acoustics, TV placement)?
post #597 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

Interesting. I posed the same exercise a while back... if one could take their buzzing TV to another house and determine whether it buzzed to the same extent. If the buzz varied, would that point to electrical wiring differences (assumes other parameters are held constant, e.g., room acoustics, TV placement)?

Could be the wiring, Hard Wood Floors, How old the house is, the room size and design so yea its a hard one
post #598 of 994
FWIW--I just became a new owner of a PN58C8000 (actually I was an owner last week but the first one came w/ a crack); with the display still partially in the box (I'm waiting on my new entertainment stand to arrive) I plugged it in to hear for any buzzing--there is a very faint buzz if I put my head right up to the screen but pretty much any distance greater than that, neither my wife nor I can hear it at all (we were standing back 7 feet). Yes the plasma was still partially in the box rather than in its eventual resting place, but if the buzz was anywhere near as loud as how some other folks describe it w/ their sets, I'm sure I'd have heard it from mine, box or no box...that, plus the fact that the display/box was sitting on a tiled floor, which I would imagine would not make a great surface as far as absorbing any buzzing frequencies are concerned.
post #599 of 994
Don't celebrate too early, it took several hours of use for my 63C7000 to start buzzing... It could be me getting used to it but I have a feeling it's improved a little bit after almost 5 months of having it. I can definitely still hear the buzz but I think not as much now. Of course I still avoid the dead center position at all costs. My wife usually sits there as she doesn't mind the buzz, even though she can also hear it.
post #600 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSN View Post

This thread just ruled out the Samsungs for me.

The other thread ruled out the Panasonics for me.

...I'm going to the movies instead.

That's too bad because I think the folks here represent a tiny vocal minority, and they should be vocal because buzzing is unacceptable. My PN63C8000 is dead silent. Some people here make claims about how EVERY Plasma buzzes to a certain extent and if you can't hear it then it's your hearing and not the TV. I don't believe it for a second. My hearing is perfectly fine and I can't hear a thing, even when I put my very healthy ears two inches from the TV (front, back, sides). You are giving up on a terrific TV based upon a few people who are having this issue. Again, it sucks for those experiencing this, but don't assume it's universal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz