or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 30

post #871 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo View Post

Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

On my PN63C8000 I hear the various sounds coming from the back/sides but for me, the problem sound (the high frequency buzz) seems to originate from the front about 2/3 from the bottom just slightly right of center when looking from the front. When I listen very closely from the front (ear 1-3" away) the sound is very localized to this spot.

Looking forward to updates... It would be great if one of the many repairs listed here actually works! Everything else about this TV is perfect for me...
post #872 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 View Post

On my PN63C8000 I hear the various sounds coming from the back/sides but for me, the problem sound (the high frequency buzz) seems to originate from the front about 2/3 from the bottom just slightly right of center when looking from the front. When I listen very closely from the front (ear 1-3" away) the sound is very localized to this spot.

Looking forward to updates... It would be great if one of the many repairs listed here actually works! Everything else about this TV is perfect for me...

The fix is to put the circuit boards in the basement and just run the wires upstairs to the panel ;-) Oh, and this makes it thinner too because you can leave the back off.
post #873 of 994
Can anyone else corroborate the post that said the panel buzzing diminished somewhat over time? My C8000 is buzzing from ~15-17' away, and I'd love for the buzz to diminish just a little. Is this going to happen?
post #874 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin View Post

Can anyone else corroborate the post that said the panel buzzing diminished somewhat over time? My C8000 is buzzing from ~15-17' away, and I'd love for the buzz to diminish just a little. Is this going to happen?

From the posts in this thread, diminishing buzz is extremely rare. (I remember maybe 1 or 2 people mentioning this. And I think it was more of a "I think it is buzzing less". Might search thru this thread to see.)

Based upon el_teduardo's awesome research, I don't think anything is going to physically cause it to get better... (Maybe extreme dust / gunk / tar build up in the coils?)

I think most people "diminished" their buzz by getting a Panny VT25 or a different TV all together. One or maybe two swapped and said the newer manufactured version buzzed less, but I wouldn't rely on that since many more people have swapped multiple times with the exact same buzz. (Or do what I did, went with a 50". 'course I think I am the only person who has posted / admitted downsizing from 58" to 50".)
post #875 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post
From the posts in this thread, diminishing buzz is extremely rare. (I remember maybe 1 or 2 people mentioning this. And I think it was more of a "I think it is buzzing less". Might search thru this thread to see.)

Based upon el_teduardo's awesome research, I don't think anything is going to physically cause it to get better... (Maybe extreme dust / gunk / tar build up in the coils?)

I think most people "diminished" their buzz by getting a Panny VT25 or a different TV all together. One or maybe two swapped and said the newer manufactured version buzzed less, but I wouldn't rely on that since many more people have swapped multiple times with the exact same buzz. (Or do what I did, went with a 50". 'course I think I am the only person who has posted / admitted downsizing from 58" to 50".)
the buzzing is less heard in the 50's?
post #876 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

the buzzing is less heard in the 50's?

From my experience (2 - 58" and 2 - 50" C8000's, 2 in my house and 2 at other peoples places.) AND many of the posts on this thread, yes.

You'll see that most of the buzzers that people post about are 58" and 63" versions. (You'll see a couple 50" buzzers but not nearly as many...)

The 50" buzzes, just way less than the 58" sets I listened to... It's much harder to hear from over 10 ft for sure. You get about the same amount of omni-directional buzz from close distances as the 58" under 5 ft, just way less directional over 10 ft.

'course all this isn't enough data to statistically prove anything. Some of this could be because more people buy 58"/63" vs 50" too. But it "worked for me" (tm).

(Searching back in this thread on some of my original posts you'll see my research and theories on why when I did the swap.)
post #877 of 994
My first 58C6500 buzzed, so Amazon sent a replacement. The replacement arrived with a cracked screen. Plugged it in anyway just to see what gives. It turns out that having a cracked screen makes the buzz like ten time louder. Possibly the cracked panel is drawing an overload of current causing the circuits that are just barely adequate to power the good panel to be further stressed. So whatever it is that buzzes buzzes even more if you crack the screen. Just a science experiment.

They're sending a third.
post #878 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

So whatever it is that buzzes buzzes even more if you crack the screen. Just a science experiment.

Actually, no.


If you have a cracked panel on any plasma TV. If it's not totally dead due to the crack and won't power up at all, and it instead it still tries to work, then they all will buzz like crazy. A cracked panel buzzing severely, is not something that is only unique to Samsung or any other brand of plasma TV. When cracked, they all usually do it if you try and turn them on when damaged like that
post #879 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

From my experience (2 - 58" and 2 - 50" C8000's, 2 in my house and 2 at other peoples places.) AND many of the posts on this thread, yes.

You'll see that most of the buzzers that people post about are 58" and 63" versions. (You'll see a couple 50" buzzers but not nearly as many...)

The 50" buzzes, just way less than the 58" sets I listened to... It's much harder to hear from over 10 ft for sure. You get about the same amount of omni-directional buzz from close distances as the 58" under 5 ft, just way less directional over 10 ft.

'course all this isn't enough data to statistically prove anything. Some of this could be because more people buy 58"/63" vs 50" too. But it "worked for me" (tm).

(Searching back in this thread on some of my original posts you'll see my research and theories on why when I did the swap.)

So can i draw the following conclusion:

The larger your panel, the more it consumes power, so it buzzes more? So the buzzing is related to the powerconsumption.

Since the 2011 panels consume less power (read this somewhere, don't know if it's true), you have a good chance that the new models will not buzz that much. I think i'll wait for the 2011 models to appear.
post #880 of 994
OK, I'm in the clear. My PN58C8000 is getting picked up by CEVA and Amazon will be refunding my money. Before I get to what I really want to say I have to thank Amazon, their support is by far the best, EVAR! The return/refund date was 15 days over, but I told them we were moving (which we were), and they made an exception and are currently going to make things right. Thank you Amazon! Ok, on to the matter at hand. I don't have a TV.
I'm pressed to just wait till the 2011's start releasing, because it's either that or get a 54" Panasonic TC-P54VT25. The 58" only has 6 month financing at most stores, and the others that offer more financing are WAY over priced. Any ideas?

Reilly
post #881 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

From my experience (2 - 58" and 2 - 50" C8000's, 2 in my house and 2 at other peoples places.) AND many of the posts on this thread, yes.

You'll see that most of the buzzers that people post about are 58" and 63" versions. (You'll see a couple 50" buzzers but not nearly as many...)

The 50" buzzes, just way less than the 58" sets I listened to... It's much harder to hear from over 10 ft for sure. You get about the same amount of omni-directional buzz from close distances as the 58" under 5 ft, just way less directional over 10 ft.

'course all this isn't enough data to statistically prove anything. Some of this could be because more people buy 58"/63" vs 50" too. But it "worked for me" (tm).

(Searching back in this thread on some of my original posts you'll see my research and theories on why when I did the swap.)

this is seriously making me wanna get the 60 inch lg
post #882 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

OK, I'm in the clear. My PN58C8000 is getting picked up by CEVA and Amazon will be refunding my money. Before I get to what I really want to say I have to thank Amazon, their support is by far the best, EVAR! The return/refund date was 15 days over, but I told them we were moving (which we were), and they made an exception and are currently going to make things right. Thank you Amazon! Ok, on to the matter at hand. I don't have a TV.
I'm pressed to just wait till the 2011's start releasing, because it's either that or get a 54" Panasonic TC-P54VT25. The 58" only has 6 month financing at most stores, and the others that offer more financing are WAY over priced. Any ideas?

Reilly

If it was me, I'd get the VT25 now if you don't see any features that draw you to the new TVs AND have a normally dark room. I've heard spring on the new Samsung's... No firm date yet, but I think there is a thread that is tracking the release date.

Honestly I went into the Best Buy Magnolia originally to pickup a 54" VT25... And came out with a 58" C8000 that got returned for the 50" later on... (I loved the C8000 picture so I stuck to the Samsung line.) The only reason I didn't get a VT25 is because the screen and bezel were way more reflective than the Samsung and our kitchen lighting would have done the exact same thing to the TV based on where it was placed in the living room. (The Samsung and Panasonic were right beside each other and aimed directly into the store... So we had an employee hunt for some Blu Ray players to play Avatar and other things side by side. They both looked excellent off angle and out of the glare. But the Samsung only had a hint of glare from the bright store while that same glare made the Panasonic unwatchable.)
post #883 of 994
I noticed tonight that the buzz only starts after the tv is on for a few minutes; until then I barely hear it at all. Is this what others experience?
post #884 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin View Post

I noticed tonight that the buzz only starts after the tv is on for a few minutes; until then I barely hear it at all. Is this what others experience?

For me... On the 58" C8000 it buzzed from the second I turned it on... Both omni-directional near the TV and directionally 10 - 15 ft in front of it. (I remember thinking "dang" that's annoying right when I first powered it up right after I got it and before I thought there was something wrong.) The directional buzz was worse on black. I don't recall checking the omni-directional nearby buzzing to see if it was worse on white / black.

On my 50" it buzzes omni-directionally slightly and then more-so on bright scenes. (On full white I can hear it up to about 5 ft away in any direction.) Almost no directional buzz no matter what it is showing. (Still there just very slight.)

The buzz doesn't seem to change depending no how long the TV is on for me. (Or at least not enough that I notice it.)
post #885 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

If it was me, I'd get the VT25 now if you don't see any features that draw you to the new TVs AND have a normally dark room. I've heard spring on the new Samsung's... No firm date yet, but I think there is a thread that is tracking the release date.

Honestly I went into the Best Buy Magnolia originally to pickup a 54" VT25... And came out with a 58" C8000 that got returned for the 50" later on... (I loved the C8000 picture so I stuck to the Samsung line.) The only reason I didn't get a VT25 is because the screen and bezel were way more reflective than the Samsung and our kitchen lighting would have done the exact same thing to the TV based on where it was placed in the living room. (The Samsung and Panasonic were right beside each other and aimed directly into the store... So we had an employee hunt for some Blu Ray players to play Avatar and other things side by side. They both looked excellent off angle and out of the glare. But the Samsung only had a hint of glare from the bright store while that same glare made the Panasonic unwatchable.)

Yeah, the room it would be in has drapes and really NO reflections + it's a relatively small room. Thanks for your opinion, it's be noted.
post #886 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

If it was me, I'd get the VT25 now if you don't see any features that draw you to the new TVs AND have a normally dark room. I've heard spring on the new Samsung's... No firm date yet, but I think there is a thread that is tracking the release date.

Honestly I went into the Best Buy Magnolia originally to pickup a 54" VT25... And came out with a 58" C8000 that got returned for the 50" later on... (I loved the C8000 picture so I stuck to the Samsung line.) The only reason I didn't get a VT25 is because the screen and bezel were way more reflective than the Samsung and our kitchen lighting would have done the exact same thing to the TV based on where it was placed in the living room. (The Samsung and Panasonic were right beside each other and aimed directly into the store... So we had an employee hunt for some Blu Ray players to play Avatar and other things side by side. They both looked excellent off angle and out of the glare. But the Samsung only had a hint of glare from the bright store while that same glare made the Panasonic unwatchable.)

is the g25 the same as the v25 minus the 3d? i know the 6500 is pretty much the same as the 7000/8000 minus 3d
post #887 of 994
I believe the more significant difference for the VT25's over the cheaper Panaonic models is the pro black panel. I certainly didn't buy that TV (or the PNC8000) because of the 3D capability.

If anyone has a VT25 on their radar keep an eye out for BB deals, particularly in their weekly flyer. I got mine on sale in mid-December when it was being packaged with the BD player and Avatar/3D glasses package. I had bought my PNC8000 with a similar package in October so I was glad to have a suitable replacement.

And I never wall mounted either of my plasmas, but the Samsung's primary problem is a front-projected sound. I won't argue that mounting it close to a wall might make the problem worse, but I had mine in a corner comfortably away from a wall, and the noise was bad no matter where I pointed the TV with the swivel stand - if you were directly in front of it you got an earful of buzz.

Just to chime in on a couple previous questions...

The buzzing doesn't get better over time, or get better if you leave the TV on. I had mine for 2 months and had plenty of times it was on for 48 solid hours.

Samsung won't fix it, they consider it to be in spec. There's no known solution to the problem.

And since it's an issue with a front-projecting noise, covering your walls with fabric or carpeting won't help. One of the in-store 7000 series buzzers I heard was on a stand about 1' off a fabric covered padded wall. Still buzzed like hell from 20' away.

BTW - There's only 1 thing that irks me about the VT25 - the red LED power indicator light stays on while the TV is on. Is this a Panasonic thing? I've had high end Sonys and Samsungs, and both turned off the "Power" light once the TV was up and running. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for a good TV
post #888 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

is the g25 the same as the v25 minus the 3d? i know the 6500 is pretty much the same as the 7000/8000 minus 3d

No. It has significant internal differences in addition to 3D. For example, the V implements 24p correctly the G does not. I recall there were others. CNET has a comparison for starters. I recently returned the G25 because I felt its noise reduction was almost non existent. Lots of pixel video noise. Nice bright set though, and very black.
post #889 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo View Post

I believe the more significant difference for the VT25's over the cheaper Panaonic models is the pro black panel. I certainly didn't buy that TV (or the PNC8000) because of the 3D capability.

If anyone has a VT25 on their radar keep an eye out for BB deals, particularly in their weekly flyer. I got mine on sale in mid-December when it was being packaged with the BD player and Avatar/3D glasses package. I had bought my PNC8000 with a similar package in October so I was glad to have a suitable replacement.

And I never wall mounted either of my plasmas, but the Samsung's primary problem is a front-projected sound. I won't argue that mounting it close to a wall might make the problem worse, but I had mine in a corner comfortably away from a wall, and the noise was bad no matter where I pointed the TV with the swivel stand - if you were directly in front of it you got an earful of buzz.

Just to chime in on a couple previous questions...

The buzzing doesn't get better over time, or get better if you leave the TV on. I had mine for 2 months and had plenty of times it was on for 48 solid hours.

Samsung won't fix it, they consider it to be in spec. There's no known solution to the problem.

And since it's an issue with a front-projecting noise, covering your walls with fabric or carpeting won't help. One of the in-store 7000 series buzzers I heard was on a stand about 1' off a fabric covered padded wall. Still buzzed like hell from 20' away.

BTW - There's only 1 thing that irks me about the VT25 - the red LED power indicator light stays on while the TV is on. Is this a Panasonic thing? I've had high end Sonys and Samsungs, and both turned off the "Power" light once the TV was up and running. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for a good TV

Have you noticed any issues on your VT25 such as floating blacks, motion handling issues, 96 Hz false contouring?
CEVA is picking my buzzing PN58C8000 up today, how can you spell relief? Do you think I should just use an old projector or somethings and wait a year for the new models to release, or just get the 58" VT25?
post #890 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

Have you noticed any issues on your VT25 such as floating blacks, motion handling issues, 96 Hz false contouring?
CEVA is picking my buzzing PN58C8000 up today, how can you spell relief? Do you think I should just use an old projector or somethings and wait a year for the new models to release, or just get the 58" VT25?

Do you need 3D? I think the 58VT25 is overpriced. I am buying an LG 60' plasma for now (only 1150 on sale), and then watching to see what develops over the next few years. I think we will see the typical trend continue - great advances in technology and even lower prices.
post #891 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

Do you need 3D? I think the 58VT25 is overpriced. I am buying an LG 60' plasma for now (only 1150 on sale), and then watching to see what develops over the next few years. I think we will see the typical trend continue - great advances in technology and even lower prices.

where is this sale, and let me know how the pq on the lg is...im guessing its the 550/750?....i think 3d in a few years might be cool, but right now its too sketchy
post #892 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

Have you noticed any issues on your VT25 such as floating blacks, motion handling issues, 96 Hz false contouring?
CEVA is picking my buzzing PN58C8000 up today, how can you spell relief? Do you think I should just use an old projector or somethings and wait a year for the new models to release, or just get the 58" VT25?

No floating blacks. I'm not sure what you mean by motion handling, but I don't use any of the blur/motion flow settings. That crap drives me nuts.

But on that topic, I did notice when setting it to 96hz it does take on a motion flow kind of look once in a while so I set it back to 60hz where, at least to me, it looks great. I'm not sure if what I was seeing is considered "false contouring", but the occurence did catch my eye a couple times. In 60hz it's pretty rock solid. 48hz flickers like crazy.

And I agree that the VT25 is overpriced. I wouldn't have bought it had it not been on sale and with the 3D package & BD player thrown in for free. It's odd that BB only did that sale for one week in December and they're they only chain that carries it right now. I'd expect that sale to reappear soon, at least to clear out the remaining stock before the 2011's show up in a couple months.

For people looking for a holdover, Costco has a very generous return policy...
post #893 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

where is this sale, and let me know how the pq on the lg is...im guessing its the 550/750?....i think 3d in a few years might be cool, but right now its too sketchy

I got my 60PK540 at Samsclub for 1050 + tax in mid December. It was an in-store-only price. It's actually a pretty darn good display. Not quite as good as the Samsung PN58C6500, but close enough that it's probably worth saving the 600 dollar price difference and waiting for even better TVs to come out in a few years. I still have not decided which to keep.

I posted my comparison here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303696
post #894 of 994
el_teduardo: I'm not sure what you mean by motion handling, but I don't use any of the blur/motion flow settings.

I believe some people saw lots of choppy motion when watching sports, other users new to the tech might not have been used to 24 fps.

rpauls: While the price is enticing, especially for 60", the LG plasma's black performance is mediocre, and they have high input lag. I'm very sensitive to sound details (buzzing), light levels (black performance), and input lag (gaming) so I doubt the LG's plasma would do it for me, but thanks for the suggestion.
post #895 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

I got my 60PK540 at Samsclub for 1050 + tax in mid December. It was an in-store-only price. It's actually a pretty darn good display. Not quite as good as the Samsung PN58C6500, but close enough that it's probably worth saving the 600 dollar price difference and waiting for even better TVs to come out in a few years. I still have not decided which to keep.

I posted my comparison here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303696

i hate seeing grain, the 85u i had didnt clean it up at all, that alone steers me away from the lg
post #896 of 994
New member, first time poster, but I've referenced this forum many times and wanted to contribute on this topic.

I got my new Sammy 3 weeks ago, and immediately noticed the buzz from my primary viewing position at 12 ft! It's highly directional, concentrated directly in front of the screen, even at 12 ft. If I move off-axis 10 degrees to either side or up/down, the noise is cut in half. Adjusting brightness, contrast, or cell lighting doesn't seem to have any effect. I need to turn the volume up to 12-15 to drown it out (2x normal listening level), and even then, during quieter moments of programming it's clearly there!

So, last weekend I emailed Samsung from their website. Within a couple days they responded and recommended I submit a service request for technical diagnosis. I did this and received a phone call from a nearby shop, who scheduled an appointment for the following day. They even called Samsung, and at their recommendation had a replacement power supply board sent overnight! They showed up on time, and said they've never heard a TV buzz like this before... and they sell Samsung. Hmmmm. Anyway, the older fella couldn't hear it very well, but the 20-something agreed it was clear to him.

Since the power supply is located at top-center behind the panel, and the sound seemed to be strongest in that area, they decided to replace the supply (15 minute job). But, as others have reported, it did NOT help.

I really like the TV otherwise, and my wife can't hear the buzz nearly as well as I do. And, since I really don't want the hassle of returning it to an online retailer, I'll probably live/suffer with it. If I angle it slightly away from me, and prop the rear of the stand about 1/2" (to angle the panel downward), it cuts most of the noise from my viewing position. Yeah, I know this is ridiculous. It's also absurd that Samsung hasn't addressed this defect in their products, after years of complaints!

In closing... Initial response from Samsung and the authorized technician were excellent. But, that provides little solice when the problem has no known fix. I wish I'd visited this forum before buying my TV. Had I known how common this problem was, I wouldn't have gambled with Samsung.
post #897 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl View Post

I really like the TV otherwise, and my wife can't hear the buzz nearly as well as I do. And, since I really don't want the hassle of returning it to an online retailer, I'll probably live/suffer with it. If I angle it slightly away from me, and prop the rear of the stand about 1/2" (to angle the panel downward), it cuts most of the noise from my viewing position. Yeah, I know this is ridiculous. It's also absurd that Samsung hasn't addressed this defect in their products, after years of complaints.

Welcome to the board.

IMHO, you will grow to hate the tv and wish you would have returned it while you could have. I have 3 Samsung plasmas from 2008, 2009, 2010. Only the 2009 one had an omni-directional buzz. I got the tv w/ a dvd surround combo for in-store sale and discount. So I thought I could deal with it and waited until after the return period. Eventually I couldn't even enjoy watching the tv anymore. Just so happens my buzz was affected by room acoustics. When I moved the tv into the bedroom, the acoustics of the room cut the buzz nearly 80-90% and I've been happy with it since. But if that didn't work, I would have been stuck with a tv I simply didn't enjoy. Thankfully my 2010 Samsung turned out to be great, but I would have returned it if it was a loud buzzer...regardless of the hassle of returning

If I can't watch my tv from dead center and enjoy it, it's not worth having. The tv's ONLY purpose is for me to enjoy watching it. If it can't do that, it has to go.
post #898 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl View Post

New member, first time poster, but I've referenced this forum many times and wanted to contribute on this topic.

I got my new Sammy 3 weeks ago, and immediately noticed the buzz from my primary viewing position at 12 ft! It's highly directional, concentrated directly in front of the screen, even at 12 ft. If I move off-axis 10 degrees to either side or up/down, the noise is cut in half. Adjusting brightness, contrast, or cell lighting doesn't seem to have any effect. I need to turn the volume up to 12-15 to drown it out (2x normal listening level), and even then, during quieter moments of programming it's clearly there!

So, last weekend I emailed Samsung from their website. Within a couple days they responded and recommended I submit a service request for technical diagnosis. I did this and received a phone call from a nearby shop, who scheduled an appointment for the following day. They even called Samsung, and at their recommendation had a replacement power supply board sent overnight! They showed up on time, and said they've never heard a TV buzz like this before... and they sell Samsung. Hmmmm. Anyway, the older fella couldn't hear it very well, but the 20-something agreed it was clear to him.

Since the power supply is located at top-center behind the panel, and the sound seemed to be strongest in that area, they decided to replace the supply (15 minute job). But, as others have reported, it did NOT help.

I really like the TV otherwise, and my wife can't hear the buzz nearly as well as I do. And, since I really don't want the hassle of returning it to an online retailer, I'll probably live/suffer with it. If I angle it slightly away from me, and prop the rear of the stand about 1/2" (to angle the panel downward), it cuts most of the noise from my viewing position. Yeah, I know this is ridiculous. It's also absurd that Samsung hasn't addressed this defect in their products, after years of complaints!

In closing... Initial response from Samsung and the authorized technician were excellent. But, that provides little solice when the problem has no known fix. I wish I'd visited this forum before buying my TV. Had I known how common this problem was, I wouldn't have gambled with Samsung.

I'm in same boat. Had TV for about 3 weeks and LOVE the PQ and pretty much everything about it....EXCEPT THE BUZZ! Leaning towards keeping it and living with it. Trying to position it in slight angle or a little higher than I'd like to minimize the buzz. My wife can't hear it (hmmmm).

Pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with LED set (I've never seen one that I liked the PQ on - maybe I need to do more testing/viewing in stores but still.

I could send this one back online and get a replacement C7000 - sounds like a hassle. But from almost every person that has done that...there is no change in buzz. I haven't seen any IR on this one yet, so maybe I have a good set in that regard.

The hard part is some say...."absolutely no buzz on their set"... so either they can't hear it or their setup minimizes the buzz. But it makes you feel like there are C7000/C8000 out there that are quiet!!!!
post #899 of 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Welcome to the board.

IMHO, you will grow to hate the tv and wish you would have returned it while you could have. I have 3 Samsung plasmas from 2008, 2009, 2010. Only the 2009 one had an omni-directional buzz. I got the tv w/ a dvd surround combo for in-store sale and discount. So I thought I could deal with it and waited until after the return period. Eventually I couldn't even enjoy watching the tv anymore. Just so happens my buzz was affected by room acoustics. When I moved the tv into the bedroom, the acoustics of the room cut the buzz nearly 80-90% and I've been happy with it since. But if that didn't work, I would have been stuck with a tv I simply didn't enjoy. Thankfully my 2010 Samsung turned out to be great, but I would have returned it if it was a loud buzzer...regardless of the hassle of returning

If I can't watch my tv from dead center and enjoy it, it's not worth having. The tv's ONLY purpose is for me to enjoy watching it. If it can't do that, it has to go.

Thanks for welcoming me! Your comment about room acoustics reminds me... Since the buzz sounds the same from 1 ft to 12 ft away, with no noticeable drop in intensity, I've been suspicious that my room acoustics are also a contributor. I mentioned this to the service tech, and he started to wonder the same thing. We also tried to alter the resonant frequency of the TV cabinet, by simply holding a hand tight against the rear of it, but that had no effect. And, it doesn't sound like the noise is originating from the rear, or bouncing off my back wall/corner, so I haven't tried any other sound dampening tactics, but I'm not certain it's location isn't having an effect.

At this time, I've turned it slightly toward my wife's normal viewing location -- like jcrizzy's wife, mine can't seem to hear it either! -- and will probably prop the rear again to angle it downward a bit. I don't doubt your prediction that I'll regret keeping this thing, but I hope I can learn to live with it. I'll never be as satisfied as one should be after spending this kind of $ on a TV, but I just don't think I can bring myself to go thru the return/replacement process, especially since I have no confidence that a same-make replacement would improve the issue, based on all the claims I've read. And, I don't want to start over and find something else altogether, and probably have to pay a penalty/re-stocking fee as well. Tough decision, and I probably won't be very happy either way.
post #900 of 994
Bought a 63" C8000 a week ago. I noticed the buzz immediatly, annoying. It`s pretty loud too when sitting in the middle, not to bad a foot to each side. I mounted it on the wall to get it higher hoping the buzzing would be less intense, but it`s the same. Is it ant point in returning it for another one hoping it has less buzzing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz