or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official 2010 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official 2010 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 5012
any reason why black level is set to light, instead of dark. i just got the tv and i like all the info here, but wouldn't you want the black levels to be dark black?
post #62 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcllee View Post

any reason why black level is set to light, instead of dark. i just got the tv and i like all the info here, but wouldn't you want the black levels to be dark black?

Setting it to dark will crush the blacks, you don't want to do that.
post #63 of 5012
But just getting ready to run the slides through for 100 hours. My problem is this, here are the default settings for running the slides:

Photo Settings

Picture:
Picture Mode: Photo
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 75
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool (Cool 2 on G20/25 and VT20/25 displays)
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Slideshow Settings
Display Interval: Slow

Where is says picture mode photo, the only options I have for picture mode in my menu are vivid, standard, custom, THX, Game. Nothing that says photo, so which picutre mode should I be running these slides in?

Thanks!
post #64 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

TC-PxxG20/25 Reference Settings

Service Menu Offsets

WB-ADJ MENU
R-DRV: +5
G-DRV: -8
B-DRV: 0
R-CUT: -9
G-CUT: 0
B-CUT: +3

Note: These offsets must be entered for both Color matrixes. You access the different matrixes by using a 1080i/p signal for the HD matrix and 480i/p signal for the SD matrix. The WB Method Select option should be set to 00 instead of 03.

D-Nice -- thanks for your expertise and the settings.

I have a 42G25 and attempted the SM offsets -- I only attempted to adjust the offsets in the Cinema>HD>Warm mode. I was unable to adjust +5 in "R-DRV" -- the setting would not go any higher than the original setting of "FF" -- the Vol + would not move the value up, Vol - only could move it down.

42G25 Cinema>HD>Warm
WB-ADJ MENU Original Values New Values
R-DRV: +5 FF
G-DRV: -8 FF F7
B-DRV: 0 8A 8A
R-CUT: -9 7E 75
G-CUT: 0 80 80
B-CUT: +3 83 86

In addition, the WB Method Select was already at 00.

Is it possible that the G20, which I believe you calibrated, has different original settings than the G25?

Note: I did download and install via VieraCast the first update for the G25, ver 1.060 (G25 PEAKS) before adjusting the offset values. Would that have altered the original base settings in the SM?

Thanks again for your time on the forum. Cheers.
post #65 of 5012
Can someone answer these questions:

Can I damage my display by using these photo settings for photo viewing?
Is it beneficial to run the Evangelo2 slides in between watching television and movies?
Will running the webapalooza images negatively affect my display? Are they somehow worse than the Evangelo2 slides?

Thanks very much,
SF
post #66 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsfan View Post

Can I damage my display by using these photo settings for photo viewing?

The photo mode "break-in" settings have a high contrast setting for using the "break-in" slides. You can do no damage to your tv unless you display the same image for hours and hours at a time when you risk "burn-in." After the 100 hours "break-in," adjust the contrast setting in the 'Photo' mode to your liking when you view photos. The "break-in" settings have an intentionally high contrast setting.

Quote:


Is it beneficial to run the Evangelo2 slides in between watching television and movies?

If you have run the break-in slides for 100 hours, there is no need to run any other slides.

Quote:


Will running the webapalooza images negatively affect my display? Are they somehow worse than the Evangelo2 slides?

See Answer #1 above.

Stop worrying -- enjoy your set.
post #67 of 5012
Thanks very much for your time. The question about running the slides in between normal viewing was because I owned my TV for two weeks before I even discovered the slides. I was just going to run the slides now and then to help break in the TV when I wasn't using it. Is that a good idea, or am I wasting my time?
post #68 of 5012
whats the difference between pro settings and custom settings . thanks
post #69 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhund View Post

D-Nice -- thanks for your expertise and the settings.

I have a 42G25 and attempted the SM offsets -- I only attempted to adjust the offsets in the Cinema>HD>Warm mode. I was unable to adjust +5 in "R-DRV" -- the setting would not go any higher than the original setting of "FF" -- the Vol + would not move the value up, Vol - only could move it down.

42G25 Cinema>HD>Warm
WB-ADJ MENU Original Values New Values
R-DRV: +5 FF
G-DRV: -8 FF F7
B-DRV: 0 8A 8A
R-CUT: -9 7E 75
G-CUT: 0 80 80
B-CUT: +3 83 86

In addition, the WB Method Select was already at 00.

Is it possible that the G20, which I believe you calibrated, has different original settings than the G25?

Note: I did download and install via VieraCast the first update for the G25, ver 1.060 (G25 PEAKS) before adjusting the offset values. Would that have altered the original base settings in the SM?

Thanks again for your time on the forum. Cheers.


D-Nice may have a better solution but since your RDRV is maxed out, you could drop GDRV and BDRV by another 5 ticks. At least that would keep the drives in the same relationship.

In other words, the offsets would be:

RDRV = 0
GDRV = -13
BDRV = -5


That makes the absolute values:

RDRV = FF
GDRV = F2
BDRV = 85


Maybe the CUTs should be dropped another 5 ticks to keep all of the offsets by D-Nice in close relationship. I'm sure that he'll soon be around to help you out.

Larry
post #70 of 5012
Thread Starter 
Both THX and Custom mode settings have been updated for the G20/25. The previous values were incorrect. The new settings should work fine with your display
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhund View Post

D-Nice -- thanks for your expertise and the settings.

I have a 42G25 and attempted the SM offsets -- I only attempted to adjust the offsets in the Cinema>HD>Warm mode. I was unable to adjust +5 in "R-DRV" -- the setting would not go any higher than the original setting of "FF" -- the Vol + would not move the value up, Vol - only could move it down.

42G25 Cinema>HD>Warm
WB-ADJ MENU Original Values New Values
R-DRV: +5 FF
G-DRV: -8 FF F7
B-DRV: 0 8A 8A
R-CUT: -9 7E 75
G-CUT: 0 80 80
B-CUT: +3 83 86

In addition, the WB Method Select was already at 00.

Is it possible that the G20, which I believe you calibrated, has different original settings than the G25?

Note: I did download and install via VieraCast the first update for the G25, ver 1.060 (G25 PEAKS) before adjusting the offset values. Would that have altered the original base settings in the SM?

Thanks again for your time on the forum. Cheers.
post #71 of 5012
my tv says 006954:45 hours does that mean there's 6954 hours?! on my tv? I just got it on Saturday
post #72 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsfan View Post

Thanks very much for your time. The question about running the slides in between normal viewing was because I owned my TV for two weeks before I even discovered the slides. I was just going to run the slides now and then to help break in the TV when I wasn't using it. Is that a good idea, or am I wasting my time?

Same waters, different boat. Gonna get a g25 but I can't run 100 hours consecutively to break in with the slides. Is it even worth running the slides "inbetween" other ppl watching TV or movie? It wouldn't hurt and not ideal but would it be worth it even?
post #73 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Both THX and Custom mode settings have been updated for the G20/25. The previous values were incorrect. The new settings should work fine with your display

D-Nice -- thanks for the corrected settings! WB looks good. THX flesh tones still a little green to me, so I've nudged the tint four clicks to the red. That may have more to do with the varying broadcast quality on cable, because it's less of an issue with Blu-Ray playback.

42G25 Cinema>HD>Warm
WB-ADJ MENU Original Values New Values
R-DRV: -1 FF FE
G-DRV: -8 FF F7
B-DRV: +4 8A 8E
R-CUT: -8 7E 76
G-CUT: 0 80 80
B-CUT: +3 83 86

Cheers.
post #74 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

****UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD THESE SETTINGS BE USED WITH ANY OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL BEYOND THE PANEL AGING THUMBDRIVE FILES****

Really quick question (sorry if its a stupid one)... I think it was asked before but does this mean that after you are done with the break in progress, you can no longer use those settings and have to either find a pro calibrator or use one of the discs??

Thanks!
post #75 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthead View Post

Really quick question (sorry if its a stupid one)... I think it was asked before but does this mean that after you are done with the break in progress, you can no longer use those settings and have to either find a pro calibrator or use one of the discs??

Thanks!

No. It means you cannot use those settings with anything else but the break it images. meaning after you finish your breakin do not use those settings to watch anything else.


Edit: I would recommend getting your tv calibrated. the results after are great. IMO
post #76 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthead View Post

Really quick question (sorry if its a stupid one)... I think it was asked before but does this mean that after you are done with the break in progress, you can no longer use those settings and have to either find a pro calibrator or use one of the discs??

Thanks!

It means that after you have run the break in procedure using the settings in the FIRST POST that you should change your settings to the ones listed for your TV, and never use the settings in the FIRST POST again.

D-Nice, thanks so much for posting your procedure and settings, I just put in an order for a 54G25 on Panasonic's EPP site. I do have ONE question, though this is really for anyone who can answer:

What setting should I use for my wife when I tell her we can't use our first HDTV to watch anything but colored slides for 100 hours? I'm thinking during a footrub, or maybe just shipping her off to her mother's for a week
post #77 of 5012
D-Nice,

I know this may sound like stupid questions, but these are some of the concerns and questions people have asked throughout the thread that I hope you will clarify for all of us.

1. By "Reference Settings' you mean the settings that are used AFTER the break-in settings in your first post? For example, you run the break-in with the settings in the first post, then AFTER break-in you configure to the reference settings THX and Custom? You will also need to setup the SM for SD and HD separately, AFTER break-in.

2. It seems that the menu names are not consistent across all models, particularly 'Photo', and color temps. any clarification if you do not have one that you have mentioned.

3. In the service menu settings listed in the reference setting posts, are these actual values that you are targeting or # of clicks positive or negative?

Thank you for your help!
post #78 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post

What setting should I use for my wife when I tell her we can't use our first HDTV to watch anything but colored slides for 100 hours? I'm thinking during a footrub, or maybe just shipping her off to her mother's for a week

Of course it depends on the hotness of your wife.
If your wife is SI Bikini model hot, then you can use the color slides as erotic mood lighting backdrop and keep her in bed for 100 hours.

If your wife is not hot, then your second choice is the correct answer.
post #79 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold1906 View Post

D-Nice,

I know this may sound like stupid questions, but these are some of the concerns and questions people have asked throughout the thread that I hope you will clarify for all of us.

1. By "Reference Settings' you mean the settings that are used AFTER the break-in settings in your first post? For example, you run the break-in with the settings in the first post, then AFTER break-in you configure to the reference settings THX and Custom? You will also need to setup the SM for SD and HD separately, AFTER break-in.

2. It seems that the menu names are not consistent across all models, particularly 'Photo', and color temps. any clarification if you do not have one that you have mentioned.

3. In the service menu settings listed in the reference setting posts, are these actual values that you are targeting or # of clicks positive or negative?

Thank you for your help!

To add to this,

What if you cannot do 100 hours of consecutive break in time? Is it worth it to do the slides inbetween ppl watching TV? The photo settings should be separate from other settings, right?
post #80 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWindow View Post

To add to this,

What if you cannot do 100 hours of consecutive break in time? Is it worth it to do the slides inbetween ppl watching TV? The photo settings should be separate from other settings, right?

My understand from his first post is that it is best to do this as consecutive as possible. The purpose of the break-in is to age the colors/phosphors evenly to alleviate drastic unpredictable changes during the life of the panel. (I may not have used the correct terms).

if you cannot run your tv 100 hours straight then from my understanding you could break up the time as long as when the panel is on within the first 100 hours you are only viewing the break-in slides. which implies, intermittent use of the TV for non break-in purposes within the first 100 hours will yield different results. how different, who knows.
post #81 of 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold1906 View Post

My understand from his first post is that it is best to do this as consecutive as possible. The purpose of the break-in is to age the colors/phosphors evenly to alleviate drastic unpredictable changes during the life of the panel. (I may not have used the correct terms).

if you cannot run your tv 100 hours straight then from my understanding you could break up the time as long as when the panel is on within the first 100 hours you are only viewing the break-in slides. which implies, intermittent use of the TV for non break-in purposes within the first 100 hours will yield different results. how different, who knows.


From a post by D-Nice on the previous page of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18296786

Larry
post #82 of 5012
hi , what do the service offsets do ? if i dont use them will it make a big difference . it looks complicated to do and to change . thanks
post #83 of 5012
I just received my G20 today. I've been running the slides through an SD card. I glanced at the screen a bit ago and say what appeared to be a screen saver with 'VIEJA' on it. I pressed a button and it went away. Clearly I don't want this, but I can't find a way to turn it off. I researched a bit and found it's a measure to prevent IR in SD mode. I guess the pics from my SD card aren't considered HD? How can I prevent that screen saver from coming back?

Edit: I can't get it to come back up. Anyone know anything about this?
post #84 of 5012
D-Nice,

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time and effort to post these settings (and endure the onslaught of questions!) for all of us. Your have been a great resource for everyone on this forum, and I for one appreciate it and hope you continue.

Thanks!!

Tim
post #85 of 5012
D-Nice, do you know if the VT20 will also be affected byt the black level issue, or will the now phosphor help out and cover it? Seriously doubting to by a VT20 over a 5090h, just have to see how the gaming lag is going to be...
post #86 of 5012
D-Nice,
So I finished my 100hr break-in with the slides and entered the service menu. I made changes to the "custom" picture mode for the WB-ADJ.

Is your THX recommendation to be made under the "cinema" picture mode? When I switched to the "cinema" picture mode, the WB-ADJ settings seemed to be at the new levels I had just set under custom.

Does this mean that the WB-ADJ changes only need to be made once for HD and once for SD?

What is the intended use of each mode (THX & Custom)? Is one for day and the other for night viewing?

Thank you for your help and the calibration settings. The picture is greatly improved from these changes.
post #87 of 5012
D-Nice, could you let us know what your findings are on ANSI contrast for the G20? Is it on par with the 9G kuros? I watched a good bit of Planet Earth inside BB the other day and the intrascene contrast looked amazing. (although I think the kuro processing still has the upper hand). How do you compare the 2010 pannies with the 9G Kuros as far as contrast up to this point?

thanks
post #88 of 5012
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post

D-Nice, could you let us know what your findings are on ANSI contrast for the G20? Is it on par with the 9G kuros? I watched a good bit of Planet Earth inside BB the other day and the intrascene contrast looked amazing. (although I think the kuro processing still has the upper hand). How do you compare the 2010 pannies with the 9G Kuros as far as contrast up to this point?

thanks

The G20 is not in any way, shape or form a 9G Kuro except when it comes to color. It beats a 9G Elite/Signature/KRP Kuro when it comes to the dE of the blue color point (THX mode only). The other 5 color points equal the Kuros in accuracy.
post #89 of 5012
Thread Starter 
There is only one set of WB Adj offsets listed in my G20/25 settings post. That is for the THX settings. It doesn't matter what the Video mode is while in the SM. The only thing that matters is the color temp, while in the SM, is set to Warm.

How and what you use the two video modes for is up to you. I only use THX on the G20 I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs View Post

D-Nice,
So I finished my 100hr break-in with the slides and entered the service menu. I made changes to the "custom" picture mode for the WB-ADJ.

Is your THX recommendation to be made under the "cinema" picture mode? When I switched to the "cinema" picture mode, the WB-ADJ settings seemed to be at the new levels I had just set under custom.

Does this mean that the WB-ADJ changes only need to be made once for HD and once for SD?

What is the intended use of each mode (THX & Custom)? Is one for day and the other for night viewing?

Thank you for your help and the calibration settings. The picture is greatly improved from these changes.
post #90 of 5012
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoDM View Post

D-Nice, do you know if the VT20 will also be affected byt the black level issue,

They will
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official 2010 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread