or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer vsx-1020 and vsx-1120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer vsx-1020 and vsx-1120 - Page 7

post #181 of 581
If i click on that link and choose more pictures and look at the back picture of the 1120 i see 400Watt which seems a bit more realistic ?
post #182 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodkopje View Post

If i click on that link and choose more pictures and look at the back picture of the 1120 i see 400Watt which seems a bit more realistic ?

I agree. I can see the "245w" on the 1020 360 degree views. And when I look at the rear panel picture for the 1120, it says "400w" (identical to the 23/21 Elites). Not sure where the 250w claim for the 1120 came from.
post #183 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywlkrsnd View Post

I agree. I can see the "245w" on the 1020 360 degree views. And when I look at the rear panel picture for the 1120, it says "400w" (identical to the 23/21 Elites). Not sure where the 250w claim for the 1120 came from.

They must have had the wrong image on the web server last night because it did say 245W last night and shows 400W this morning, probably someone at Pioneer reads avs =)
post #184 of 581
amazon still has the 245 watts shown in their pic of the 1120:
post #185 of 581
I've seen some here suggest that the 1020 might not upconvert video sent to the receiver via HDMI (apparently this has been a shortcoming of the Pioneer lineup in the past?). But one of the main bullet points on Amazon is "1080p video conversion and upscaling ensures the highest quality video from any source".

Has anyone found any solid comparison of the Anchor Bay video processing vs Marvell Qdeo?

I'm sort of surprised to see how different the back is between the 1020 and 1120. I'm guessing the internals look quite a bit different as well based on how different the backs are.

Makes me wonder if the 1120 might be an overall newer/superior design in some ways that can't be stated on a spec sheet.
post #186 of 581
Well page 36 of the PDF owner's manual for the 1020 mentions the 'control in' and 'control out'. I'm guessing these are 12v triggers?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0302.pdf

Sucks that there's only one. My amp is a dead end... only has an input. So if I get a screen and projector I guess I wouldn't be able to trigger those two.

Then again I'm assuming that is in fact a 12v trigger and not some other proprietary connection.
post #187 of 581
Thread Starter 
I think the Amazon picture and the first Pioneer picture must have been pre-production images. There are now a few subtle differences that seem to suggest the new image is more of a production picture. There are the standard electronic warnings / FCC statements. In general, there appears to be better markings on the back including a UPC. The new Pioneer image also indicates made in Malaysia (like the 21/23) instead of China in addition to the much worrisome power rating. I suppose this is living proof of spec's can change at anytime--apparently, they can change in the middle of the night!

The wife has given the go ahead, but last night I had decided to wait on the Elites on account of the power issue. Now, I'm I am anxiously awaiting the manual and some real world hands on reports.
post #188 of 581
^^^

"control in/out" aren't 12v triggers...

they are for passing ir between pio components...
post #189 of 581
With my current setup I have a Morel LL 1 Soundspot 5.1 speaker setup. I recently found that these speakers are only rated for 60w at 6 ohms with a peak of 100w. I was hoping to buy the 1120 but would it be a bit of overkill and am I better off getting the 1020? I am very new to this and any advise is appreciated.
post #190 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

"control in/out" aren't 12v triggers...

they are for passing ir between pio components...

Oh. What's the difference between control in/out and the ir in/out right next to control in/out?
post #191 of 581
Without being familiar with those specific speakers, I'd guess either the 1020 or 1120 would drive them okay. (I use a Pioneer 817 with 6 ohm Axiom speakers -- no problem.) It's not harmful to have the extra 10W/speaker of the 1120, but also probably not necessary.
post #192 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggme View Post

With my current setup I have a Morel LL 1 Soundspot 5.1 speaker setup. I recently found that these speakers are only rated for 60w at 6 ohms with a peak of 100w. I was hoping to buy the 1120 but would it be a bit of overkill and am I better off getting the 1020? I am very new to this and any advise is appreciated.

You're far better off over powering speakers than under powering them. You're less likely to damage speakers that way and you'll also get better sound volumes within your speaker's capabilities because you'll have more headroom with the amp. Basically amps sound better if you're not pushing them as close to their max capabilities.

Aside from that, based on what's been said earlier in this thread, I don't think the 1020 can actually deliver 100+ watts to all 7 channels (or 5) concurrently anyway. Even the 1120 probably can't.

Receiver amps are usually pretty weak as is. I'm a fan of buying a dedicated external amp. It's a good investment because they're usually very reliable and won't be antiquated for a decade or two or more unlike the rest of your receiver. And they'll usually completely crush the power output from any receiver made.
post #193 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post

So if I get a screen and projector I guess I wouldn't be able to trigger those two.

If the projector is connected by HDMI, you might be able to use HDMI-CEC to turn it off and on.
post #194 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post

Oh. What's the difference between control in/out and the ir in/out right next to control in/out?

see page 35 of the manual...

in "the old days" of sr+, the sr control between pio components could be quite useful... in the "new days" of plain sr, not so much...
post #195 of 581
So I wonder when the new Elites will be out and if they'll have triggers.

Are there any cheap IR devices with triggers on the back end so that if I bought a Logitech Harmony I could turn my amp on w/ the same button as I turn the rest of the system on?
post #196 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyall View Post

I think the Amazon picture and the first Pioneer picture must have been pre-production images. There are now a few subtle differences that seem to suggest the new image is more of a production picture. There are the standard electronic warnings / FCC statements. In general, there appears to be better markings on the back including a UPC. The new Pioneer image also indicates made in Malaysia (like the 21/23) instead of China in addition to the much worrisome power rating. I suppose this is living proof of spec's can change at anytime--apparently, they can change in the middle of the night!

funny - when i went back to the pioneer site just now in firefox, the image pulled up as the 245w version. that image must still be in my cache. opened link with ie, and it showed the 400w version.

i, too, am very happy about this, but it is a pretty big mistake on pioneer's part to mess that spec up in one of the only available sources of info on this receiver. these have been available for pre-order for a while, and i suspect some might have passed on it due to the weak power rating alone.

it kills me that pioneer and other manufacturers doesn't include pre-outs on their less powerful receivers but do on their more powerful ones. ideally, i'd like to get the 820 for $299 and use it as a prepro with a $4-500 three-channel amp. same price as the 1120, perhaps a couple missing features, but more than likely a better audio experience. of course, if they offered the preouts on the cheap receivers, pioneer would miss out of the money that i would spend on the amp. sigh...
post #197 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit3907 View Post

funny - when i went back to the pioneer site just now in firefox, the image pulled up as the 245w version. that image must still be in my cache. opened link with ie, and it showed the 400w version.

i, too, am very happy about this, but it is a pretty big mistake on pioneer's part to mess that spec up in one of the only available sources of info on this receiver. these have been available for pre-order for a while, and i suspect some might have passed on it due to the weak power rating alone.

it kills me that pioneer and other manufacturers doesn't include pre-outs on their less powerful receivers but do on their more powerful ones. ideally, i'd like to get the 820 for $299 and use it as a prepro with a $4-500 three-channel amp. same price as the 1120, perhaps a couple missing features, but more than likely a better audio experience. of course, if they offered the preouts on the cheap receivers, pioneer would miss out of the money that i would spend on the amp. sigh...

Yamaha 665 is the lipstick on a pig that your looking for
post #198 of 581
no analog multi-channel IN on these units? bummer......
post #199 of 581
I exchanged my newly purchased Yamaha 665 and for a Pioneer 1020 which is being ordered in for me. They expect it to arrive around May 7, here in Canada.
post #200 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Yamaha 665 is the lipstick on a pig that your looking for

thanks - tempting... i was trying to go to hdmi 1.4 even though no immediate plans on 3d. figured that way i wouldn't have to upgrade receivers in the future when/if i do go 3d. although it might just be better to pick up a nice 1.3 receiver on clearance, get a three channel amp, and then just deal with the 1.4 issue in a few years. of course, if the game is still played the same, i'd have to spend more for a receiver with pre-outs in the future just like i would now.
post #201 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit3907 View Post

thanks - tempting... i was trying to go to hdmi 1.4 even though no immediate plans on 3d. figured that way i wouldn't have to upgrade receivers in the future when/if i do go 3d. although it might just be better to pick up a nice 1.3 receiver on clearance, get a three channel amp, and then just deal with the 1.4 issue in a few years. of course, if the game is still played the same, i'd have to spend more for a receiver with pre-outs in the future just like i would now.

No need to deal with the 1.4a 3D problem with a AVR, just get a 3D panny player with duel hdmi outputs, one for HD 7.1 audio and other for 3D video.
EASY
post #202 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

No need to deal with the 1.4a 3D problem with a AVR, just get a 3D panny player with duel hdmi outputs, one for HD 7.1 audio and other for 3D video.
EASY

good point - clearly lots of people will be in that boat and i suspect the dual hdmi outs will be somewhat prevalent going forward. my guess is the panny has some sort of lip-sync functionality since the hdmi signal is being split and the receiver can't handle the hdmi-spec lip-sync implementation for both audio and video. easy enough to find out...

thinking of going the yamaha 665 route and getting a UPA-5 for amplification. he can use three channels for mains, and the other 2 for rest of house speakers (splitter dips those down to 4-6 ohms effective).
post #203 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit3907 View Post

good point - clearly lots of people will be in that boat and i suspect the dual hdmi outs will be somewhat prevalent going forward.

Except for the people who have a ps3 and so no need for a panny player. And the people who want to watch 3D on one of the DirectTV 3D channels. And the people who have 3D on their cable systems.
post #204 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Except for the people who have a ps3 and so no need for a panny player. And the people who want to watch 3D on one of the DirectTV 3D channels. And the people who have 3D on their cable systems.

don't have one, don't use it, could be an issue.

honestly, though, i really don't see much in the way of non-sports 3d content (my dad mostly watches movies) through any medium for a while. once the movie studios figure out that the ridiculous bundling strategy they are using with their few 3d movies is not a good long term play, i think bluray will be the first useful source for 3d content that he likes. by the time more stuff is available on cable, it might be time for a new upgrade.

anyway, just found a 665 for three bills shipped, so i think i'll go that route. thanks for the info.
post #205 of 581
I have seen some posts that imply that that 1020 has a more sophisticated MCACC mechanism than lower tier models for 2010's lineup (Pioneer also used to do this with their Elite's). Does anyone know how the 1020's MCACC is supposed to compare to the Elite models? Namely does the 1020's MCACC match the Elites? (am considering the 1020 as a pre-amp and the MCACC of the Elites has always been a differentiator for me, it has always been better than the non-Elites but perhaps that has leaked to the flagship of the non-Elite line?)
post #206 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseer View Post

...am considering the 1020 as a pre-amp ...

Maybe you're thinking of the 1120, since the 1020 doesn't have a full set of pre-outs. The MCACC in the 1020 is called "Advanced MCACC" and seems to have the same features as the higher end Pioneer models of previous years, though I haven't looked at details.
post #207 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Maybe you're thinking of the 1120, since the 1020 doesn't have a full set of pre-outs. The MCACC in the 1020 is called "Advanced MCACC" and seems to have the same features as the higher end Pioneer models of previous years, though I haven't looked at details.

I am now, saw pre-out but did not notice it was just the sub (my 1018 had pre-outs and all my Elites do, I did not notice the 1020 did not have a full set of pre-outs, thanks).

1120 it is.
post #208 of 581
Does anyone know whether the new control functionality they've implemented for this year includes firmware updates? (I can do networked firmware updates on my plasma, BD player, PVR, and in one room my receiver, Denon), I would love to avoid the debacle I have had with firmware updates on all my Elites (especially since the Denon is what is going to be swapped out if I get the 1120).
post #209 of 581
Hey guys, anyone have their 1020 ship yet? I also pre-ordered the 1020 on the Pioneer website. I saw that some people have gotten emails stating that they were planning on shipping the week of April 19th. Has anyone heard anything?
post #210 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseer View Post

Does anyone know whether the new control functionality they've implemented for this year includes firmware updates?

It does not. I got email from a Pioneer csr saying any firmware updates for the 1020 would have to be done at a service center.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer vsx-1020 and vsx-1120