or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 5

post #121 of 821
My KDL 55HX701 was made in Mexico..
post #122 of 821
Well, that was disappointing.

DB Schenker called last night and said they would deliver between 12-5 today. We both work and asked that they call us ahead of time and they said no problem they would call an hour before they came out.

There was no phone call, but since he didn't get there until 5:00 my wife was already home. I came home within half an hour and opened the box to find the screen smashed. Can't call Sony until tomorrow. No telling how long it will take now. The packaging wasn't very secure, so I'm not shocked, but very disappointed.
post #123 of 821
sorry to here that. I hope Sony takes care of you. I will make sure to check mine before i sign off.
post #124 of 821
Hard ethernet RF45 connection to the 55HX701:

has anyone done that yet? does it work well? do we get Netflix? is it 720 or 1080 via Netflix streamed like that? is the set up simple?

from the back of the 55HX701, there is an RJ45 plug.

from the Netflix site, it says: "BRAVIA® Internet Video: Instantly stream a wide variety of Free and On-demand entertainment when you connect your player to the internet. Choose from a large selection of providers 2 - including Netflix®."

if i were to run a long ethernet wire from my PC router to my 55HX701, would it be that simple to "set up" the Netflix functionality to my 55HX701? is it pay-per-view? or is it included in anyone's Netflix subscription price?

thx!
post #125 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

Hard ethernet RF45 connection to the 55HX701:

has anyone done that yet? does it work well? do we get Netflix? is it 720 or 1080 via Netflix streamed like that? is the set up simple?

from the back of the 55HX701, there is an RJ45 plug.

from the Netflix site, it says: "BRAVIA® Internet Video: Instantly stream a wide variety of Free and On-demand entertainment when you connect your player to the internet. Choose from a large selection of providers 2 - including Netflix®."

if i were to run a long ethernet wire from my PC router to my 55HX701, would it be that simple to "set up" the Netflix functionality to my 55HX701? is it pay-per-view? or is it included in anyone's Netflix subscription price?

thx!

I am curious as well, I believe someone posted they were watching Netflix streaming on the new HX701, but not sure. I believe it is included in your subscription price and it is the same as if you streamed Netflix on your pc. Or PS3, or Xbox 360, Or Wii. I plan on if time allows this coming weekend to run a network drop from my router, which is about 70ft away from where my HX701 resides. I want to try the Netflix as well if I could use the DLNA configuration from my NAS to stream stored music and videos from it. I will try to post results then unless someone else beats me to the punch, already tried it and is willing to share their experience. I would not mind.
post #126 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontele2 View Post

My KDL 55HX701 was made in Mexico..

Ditto. Feb 2010 build.
post #127 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav3 View Post

Well, that was disappointing.

DB Schenker called last night and said they would deliver between 12-5 today. We both work and asked that they call us ahead of time and they said no problem they would call an hour before they came out.

There was no phone call, but since he didn't get there until 5:00 my wife was already home. I came home within half an hour and opened the box to find the screen smashed. Can't call Sony until tomorrow. No telling how long it will take now. The packaging wasn't very secure, so I'm not shocked, but very disappointed.


I hope Sony will take care of you. Especially I am sure you agree it was a grueling wait to get the Tv. I got spooked myself when a plain Jane looking white delivery truck pulled up. A local company that DB transferred delivery to as a third party. Out of the delivery truck appears the TV carton that its bottom was literally falling out. Fortunately it showed up just before I had to leave home. I had the delivery guy help open up the box the "rest" of the way, take out the tv and stand and put it together before signing on the dotted line. All the parts were there and television undamaged. Kudos to Sony for taping all items (remote, power cord, stand screws) to the styrofoam packing, because otherwise I am sure they would have been lost!!. Of course to this day, the set is running fine.
post #128 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphrex View Post

I am curious as well, I believe someone posted they were watching Netflix streaming on the new HX701, but not sure. I believe it is included in your subscription price and it is the same as if you streamed Netflix on your pc. Or PS3, or Xbox 360, Or Wii. I plan on if time allows this coming weekend to run a network drop from my router, which is about 70ft away from where my HX701 resides. I want to try the Netflix as well if I could use the DLNA configuration from my NAS to stream stored music and videos from it. I will try to post results then unless someone else beats me to the punch, already tried it and is willing to share their experience. I would not mind.

I've tried Netflix on the HX701 and it works fine, but you'll only see the movies in your queue and will not be able to browse or search movies like on the PS3. Also, the DLNA feature is limited in that it doesn't read a lot of video formats (just MPEG2 and AVC I believe). Most of the movies on my server is in MPEG4 format, and those are NOT readable, so it's not that great.
post #129 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechy View Post

I've tried Netflix on the HX701 and it works fine, but you'll only see the movies in your queue and will not be able to browse or search movies like on the PS3. Also, the DLNA feature is limited in that it doesn't read a lot of video formats (just MPEG2 and AVC I believe). Most of the movies on my server is in MPEG4 format, and those are NOT readable, so it's not that great.

i just joined netflix now and discovered few of my choices are available via the "online watch now" option. of course, i have not yet bought my 50-feet length of Cat 6 cable for connecting my router to my 55HX701. i would expect that the "available to watch now" be the same whether i'm on the PC or on the Sony tv via the Bravia Internet Video.

i wonder why there appears to be so little interest in this? so few folks seem to respond to this query. curious...
post #130 of 821
My question is will wireless be fast enough to stream movies, etc or will we have to hardwire it for this purpose?
post #131 of 821
Welp...just returned the 60ex500 for a 55hx701 pending pickup/delivery next Wed. I just couldn't take the flashlighting/clouding, motion artifacts/blur and the poor quality bezel. From what I saw in the showroom the new set takes care of all these issues... but sadly it's 5 inches smaller =] The blacks look deeper also due to the smoked glass (very plasma like).

Seeing as it has the same backlight and probably the same panel I'm hoing to use the same settings as the old one to start with. Anyone have decent calibrated settings for a bright(er) room yet?
post #132 of 821


From the pixel structure it looks like the same panel used in the 55ex500.
post #133 of 821
Here's my Journey now completed:

March 12 called Sony excepted the HX701.
March 13 sent serial label (Priority M with DC)
March 17 Sony recieved DC per USPS
March 18 recieved Email confirmation.
March 18-19 CC Charge pending
March 23 TV shipped Email (was actually shipped March 20)
March 25 Recieved TV

It took 15 minutes to set up. The Blacks are BLACK and the colors are a little over saturated. It needs some calibration work and that is a good challenge. I will have a little more glare with this TV due to my windows. (I love the Windows) My old SXRD50 was OK, but this is more of a defned picture. It has another dynamic look about it. Let the tweaking begin.

I'm very happy and the price was right. Thanks to every one here for the advice and suggestions.
post #134 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinrock View Post

Here's my Journey now completed:

March 12 called Sony excepted the HX701.
March 13 sent serial label (Priority M with DC)
March 17 Sony recieved DC per USPS
March 18 recieved Email confirmation.
March 18-19 CC Charge pending
March 23 TV shipped Email (was actually shipped March 20)
March 25 Recieved TV

It took 15 minutes to set up. The Blacks are BLACK and the colors are a little over saturated. It needs some calibration work and that is a good challenge. I will have a little more glare with this TV due to my windows. (I love the Windows) My old SXRD50 was OK, but this is more of a defned picture. It has another dynamic look about it. Let the tweaking begin.

I'm very happy and the price was right. Thanks to every one here for the advice and suggestions.

Thats pretty much the timeline for me. I got mine yesterday also. I like what I see so far. Way better than what I was watching.(60xbr1)
post #135 of 821
Could anyone who owns a HX701 write a little user review about the tv set? What are the pros and cons? How is picture quality (SD, HD)? Are there any backlight bleed, clouding visible when watching the television at night with the light off? Also, has anybody found an expert review regarding this set online, because there doesn't seem to be any.
post #136 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi or scart View Post

Could anyone who owns a HX701 write a little user review about the tv set? What are the pros and cons? How is picture quality (SD, HD)? Are there any backlight bleed, clouding visible when watching the television at night with the light off? Also, has anybody found an expert review regarding this set online, because there doesn't seem to be any.

I will do that this weekend.

Really, I don't believe the TV hast been officially released. The only people who have it as I know are the one's with the Sony's XBR1 replacement plan.
post #137 of 821
Both the Sony store and Futureshop have them for sale and on display at their stores.
post #138 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by octick View Post

I will do that this weekend.


Thank you, I am looking forward to it.
post #139 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski View Post

Both the Sony store and Futureshop have them for sale and on display at their stores.

Really. I thought no one has been able to see an HX700 in store. I stand corrected.
post #140 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi or scart View Post

Could anyone who owns a HX701 write a little user review about the tv set? What are the pros and cons? How is picture quality (SD, HD)? Are there any backlight bleed, clouding visible when watching the television at night with the light off? Also, has anybody found an expert review regarding this set online, because there doesn't seem to be any.

I've had my 55HX701 for a few days now and I can make the following observations.

The picture is beautiful. This is my first lcd tv, so I was a little leary. I have watched basketball and hockey on DTV and the picture is a lot more crisp than my old 50 XBR1. I'm getting no motion blur with any sports. I'm still playing around with settings. I have not experienced any backlight bleed or clouding. The only negative with this set is the speakers are horrible. The XBR1 was way better in the sound department. Not an issue for me since I'm using my stereo speakers. The tv is in the basement, so glare is not a problem for me. The screen is definitely more reflective than most lcd's I've seen.

I've played NHL10, MW2 and BF2BC on the Xbox 360 in Game scene mode and I have not experienced any noticable imput lag. I'm sure there's some there, but it is not visible to me. The games also look better on the HX701 compared to the XBR1.

I'm also looking forward to seeing user settings for this set. I'm going to try to find my old Avia disc and do some basic calibration. Anyone that is getting this set will not be disappointed. I really didn't know what to expect, since I never have had an lcd tv. I was pleasantly surprised.
post #141 of 821
I received my HX55701 on Saturday, I exchanged it for a faulty Z5100 (it had excessive clouding and flashlighting in 3 corners). Future Shop were sold out of Z's so I waited till the HX came in since the specs seemed identical.

When compared the HX has no widgets, a less feature filled remote (actually thats the thing I miss most, this remote makes the whole package feel cheap, it feels like the PS3 Blu ray remote), a very (as everyone knows by now) glossy screen, not as clear sound (speakers are hidden), it has a swivel stand (which is great!)

I personally have no problem with the screen and if there is some light behind me I swivel the stand to avoid the reflection, but if you are in a very bright room I can see it being a problem for some.

Picture quality seems on par with the Z so very sharp (for my eyes) the only difference I noticed were that the blacks are even darker on HX.

Off angle viewing same as Z (to me). So excellent!

ZERO clouding or flashlighting...the screen is perfect!

So far I am very happy (its a big thumbs up!), but I really miss the Z's remote.

Can't wait till this "HX701 Owners Calibration thread" does what it should...I guess it will be awhile as people are just starting to by their sets.

Perry
post #142 of 821
I was at Magnolia yesterday and got to see the 46HX701 next to an 46xbr8. I had to stand about 20-25 feet away and in the center of the two sets just to avoid off axis washout, but my observations:

-The xbr8 is a matte screen vs. the glossy of the HX701.

-With the dim lighting of Magnolia, the glass/front filter makes blacks appear darker than on the xbr8 with little ambient light. Depth of black was incredible on the HX701.

-detail was sharper on the HX701.

- HX701 couldn't get as contrasty as the xbr8 due to a lower peak light output, although they didn't have the remote to the HX701 and it was definitely in a different mode- possibly standard or cinema, but not in vivid. Lowering the light output of the xbr8 would have made this a non-factor.

-This glass/filter makes this set look Kuro black. I have no doubt Sony has lowered the idle luminance, improving blacks during dark/night scenes, since this set was equaling and surpassing the reigning Sony champ with low level lighting.

-This is the best looking ccfl I have ever seen. In fact, I forgot it was ccfl, since it smoked the Samsung and Panasonic plasmas in the showroom, too. I viewed the set under different conditions last time, and it didn't look as good as the plasmas, yet the backlight/peak light output was jacked up so high, it was a light box.

-While the HX900 and HX800 will no doubt achieve greater black levels, we're getting to a point of diminishing returns, where you'd have to be looking for these things to a greater extent than watching content.
post #143 of 821
Can anyone take a picture of a full black screen with the backlight set at minimum, brightness at 50?

Also, how about some content shots, that would be great.
post #144 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

-This glass/filter makes this set look Kuro black. I have no doubt Sony has lowered the idle luminance, improving blacks during dark/night scenes, since this set was equaling and surpassing the reigning Sony champ with low level lighting.

I will be the judge of that this weekend.
post #145 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Can anyone take a picture of a full black screen with the backlight set at minimum, brightness at 50?

Also, how about some content shots, that would be great.

Tried to take some shots but the amount of glare in my living room during the day pretty much made it impossible to take any shots that give a fair representation of the picture quality.. I'll try again tonight. Here's one of the pics I took so you can get a sense of how bad the reflections are.



I'll include a picture of my picture settings. I just recently used DVE (blu-ray) and the overall results are pretty good I think.
post #146 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphrex View Post

I hope Sony will take care of you. Especially I am sure you agree it was a grueling wait to get the Tv. I got spooked myself when a plain Jane looking white delivery truck pulled up. A local company that DB transferred delivery to as a third party. Out of the delivery truck appears the TV carton that its bottom was literally falling out. Fortunately it showed up just before I had to leave home. I had the delivery guy help open up the box the "rest" of the way, take out the tv and stand and put it together before signing on the dotted line. All the parts were there and television undamaged. Kudos to Sony for taping all items (remote, power cord, stand screws) to the styrofoam packing, because otherwise I am sure they would have been lost!!. Of course to this day, the set is running fine.

Just talked to them and while they were sorry, it's still going to be about two weeks before they can get another set out. Now I've got two worthless Sony tv's in my family room.
post #147 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

I was at Magnolia yesterday and got to see the 46HX701 next to an 46xbr8. I had to stand about 20-25 feet away and in the center of the two sets just to avoid off axis washout, but my observations:

-The xbr8 is a matte screen vs. the glossy of the HX701.

-With the dim lighting of Magnolia, the glass/front filter makes blacks appear darker than on the xbr8 with little ambient light. Depth of black was incredible on the HX701.

-detail was sharper on the HX701.

- HX701 couldn't get as contrasty as the xbr8 due to a lower peak light output, although they didn't have the remote to the HX701 and it was definitely in a different mode- possibly standard or cinema, but not in vivid. Lowering the light output of the xbr8 would have made this a non-factor.

-This glass/filter makes this set look Kuro black. I have no doubt Sony has lowered the idle luminance, improving blacks during dark/night scenes, since this set was equaling and surpassing the reigning Sony champ with low level lighting.

-This is the best looking ccfl I have ever seen. In fact, I forgot it was ccfl, since it smoked the Samsung and Panasonic plasmas in the showroom, too. I viewed the set under different conditions last time, and it didn't look as good as the plasmas, yet the backlight/peak light output was jacked up so high, it was a light box.

-While the HX900 and HX800 will no doubt achieve greater black levels, we're getting to a point of diminishing returns, where you'd have to be looking for these things to a greater extent than watching content.


You had me at, "This glass/filter makes this set look Kuro black"!!!

I was pretty excited before, but now I'm practically bursting at the seams to get my new set now. Thanks for the writeup, gmarceau. If all of the above is true, then I'm going to be one happy little camper.
post #148 of 821
i like mine a lot so far.

i bought a blu-ray player today and will watch something late this evening or tomorrow.

can report back then.

i like the black levels on this with the "live" tv all digitally produced programs, i.e. Leno et al.
post #149 of 821
"This glass/filter makes this set look Kuro black. I have no doubt Sony has lowered the idle luminance, improving blacks during dark/night scenes, since this set was equaling and surpassing the reigning Sony champ with low level lighting."

Thats what i thought too. Since Futureshop set this tv up near all Samsung and Panny plasmas I almost missed it when I walked past, with the shiny screen and all. I was watching for the times in the feed that go all black to gauge uniformity of the panel and could not see anything wrong since the glass made everything so inky black...even in the stores bright lighting. The whites were vivid white during the feed..at least as good as the LED Sammy's across from it but the glass really made the full screen blacks very plasma like and at least equal to the plasmas beside it. I was only about 5-6 feet away from the screen too.

This set has all of the brightness and crispness of an LCD with the deeper blacks of a filtered plasma. The best of both worlds perhaps. We shall see next Wed. (when mine arrives) if the 240Hz or the glass smoothes out the motion or not.
post #150 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by octick View Post

I will be the judge of that this weekend.

??? Did I do something to you ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread