or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 2

post #31 of 821
PYO, did you receive a phone call about the delivery? I live in Riverside County (about an hour from San Diego) and my order was placed on the 9th. Hoping I get it soon as my current TV is getting way to bad to watch.
post #32 of 821
Yes, I got a call yesterday to arrange the delivery today between 10am and 2pm.
post #33 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoo View Post

Yes, I got a call yesterday to arrange the delivery today between 10am and 2pm.

it's kind of funny, kind of sad, in that they expect everyone to completely change their "next morning" instantly due to their single phone call!

"...hi there, we're going to deliver your Sony tv which you waited for weeks and weeks for, tomorrow between 10am and 2pm, so be there...good bye..."

post #34 of 821
Is the HX700 series coming to the US? I didn't think this was being offered.
post #35 of 821
Just wanted to thank all the members for giving the "new to the program" members some insight as to your deliveries so far. I hope to be posting my results in the near future having sent in my sticker yesterday. I live in NJ so It may take a few extra days to get here.

Enjoy the new sets!
post #36 of 821
does anyone know the length of time it takes DB Shencker to ship from San Diego to the East Coast? one poster indicated that it took one day to go from San Diego to Orange County, that's understandable, but i'm all the way on the east coast.

thx in advance.
post #37 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Is the HX700 series coming to the US? I didn't think this was being offered.

we have one up on display at our BB.
post #38 of 821
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

does anyone know the length of time it takes DB Shencker to ship from San Diego to the East Coast? one poster indicated that it took one day to go from San Diego to Orange County, that's understandable, but i'm all the way on the east coast.

thx in advance.

For what it is worth, a Sony person told me that there are two warehouses that stock ...HX701. One Sony warehouse is in San Diego, California while the second Sony warehouse is in Fort Myers, Florida. The Sony representative told me it does not ship from Canada to USA customers.
post #39 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal View Post

For what it is worth, a Sony person told me that there are two warehouses that stock ...HX701. One Sony warehouse is in San Diego, California while the second Sony warehouse is in Fort Myers, Florida. The Sony representative told me it does not ship from Canada to USA customers.

actually, the 2nd warehouse is not in Florida but rather, in PA. Nonetheless, the only warehouse with the 55HX701's currently is the San Diego warehouse. All currently shipped 55HX701's are coming from San Diego until later, when their PA warehouse will stock them as well.

i just don't have a clear idea as to how long it takes DB Shencker to go from San Diego to the nyc area.
post #40 of 821
wish they would just let me go pick up the TV, I live an hour from SD and have been waiting for about a week for delivery. Hopefully I get a call today that says the TV will be delivered tomorrow.
post #41 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoo View Post


The box had a piece of paper stuck to it that said the following:
STANDARD DELIVERY

To the customer:

The carrier is responsible to deliver the TV unit through the first threshold (entry) of the home. This service does not include moving the TV to another room or removing the packing material.

If the product is damaged please call 1-800-236-1877

The guy brought it into my house ( I helped him carry it through a narrow path just outside the door) and we actually carried it through the entryway and down about 5 steps (I live in a tri-level house). After that, I just signed the delivery confirmation doc and he left. I was able to attach the TV on the stand on my own and then lift it up on top of my tv stand. It's pretty heavy and I don't recommend doing the last part on your own unless you are pretty confident in your ability to lift a bulky TV weighing approx 75 lbs.


Thank you very much, pyoo. That is precisely what I was wondering about.
post #42 of 821
blah! sony promised that they shipped out yesterday and that i ought to call "one day later", i.e. today, to get the tracking number. i just did and tried to call Schenker to track.

guess what? schenker said that there is no information whatsoever on my tracking number and that what likely happened was that Sony did NOT ship the package yesterday, but merely generated the paperwork, i.e. bill of lading, in order to get ready to ship it today. so Schenker said for me to call tomorrow!

so great. more delay.
post #43 of 821
Hey cyberook - now that you've had the HX for a few days what do you think of the it? How are the black levels and do you have an Xbox 360 by chance? Would love to know if there's any discernible input lag .
post #44 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

blah! sony promised that they shipped out yesterday and that i ought to call "one day later", i.e. today, to get the tracking number. i just did and tried to call Schenker to track.

guess what? schenker said that there is no information whatsoever on my tracking number and that what likely happened was that Sony did NOT ship the package yesterday, but merely generated the paperwork, i.e. bill of lading, in order to get ready to ship it today. so Schenker said for me to call tomorrow!

so great. more delay.


Yeah man, that's a bummer. Remember though, patience is a virtue and all good things come to those who pine away.
post #45 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda View Post

Yeah man, that's a bummer. Remember though, patience is a virtue and all good things come to those who pine away.

now they don't even know if the unit is really coming from San Diego or not! how can that be? how can there be such a lack in their IT system? unbelievable. such poor training with their customer service staff too, right?
post #46 of 821
I finally took a look at the packing slip that was attached to the box. It seems that the TV actually shipped from Carson, CA which is basically just outside of Los Angeles. About 45 minutes from my house in Orange County.

Also, I saw that there was a question about gaming with the HX701 and I can tell you that there is definitely a lag. I've tried turning off Motionflow and Cinemotion. That helped but didn't solve the problem completely. I'm an avid Uncharted 2 player and after having played the game for months on my 720p 60hz 60 inch tv, switching to the 55HX701 leaves me experiencing motion sickness and poor scores.. I am going to try to stick it out for a while and see if I can get used to it. If not, I'll have to do my online multiplayer gaming on the plasma tv in my bedroom...
post #47 of 821
Aww that sucks about the input lag pyoo. I play Halo 3 constantly and I love my XBR1 because there is zero input lag...well at least to me it seems like there's no input lag. Anyway you mentioned that you turned Motionflow and Cinemotion off. Did you enable Game Mode?
post #48 of 821
Thread Starter 
Heads Up !

With regard to delivery of replacement Sony HX701's, the shipping company is (sometimes) quicker than the Sony paperwork (e-mails). At least in my case, I just got a call from the shipper for delivery tomorrow. I have yet to get an e-mail from Sony stating that it had left the warehouse. I had called 48 hours ago to Sony and was told by Sony person that it had NOT left the warehouse yet and to wait for an e-mail that initiates a two-week process. For what it is worth, I'm in Seattle, Washington state on West Coast north of California.
post #49 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal View Post

Heads Up !

With regard to delivery of replacement Sony HX701's, the shipping company is (sometimes) quicker than the Sony paperwork (e-mails). At least in my case, I just got a call from the shipper for delivery tomorrow. I have yet to get an e-mail from Sony stating that it had left the warehouse. I had called 48 hours ago to Sony and was told by Sony person that it had NOT left the warehouse yet and to wait for an e-mail that initiates a two-week process. For what it is worth, I'm in Seattle, Washington state on West Coast north of California.

To me, that isn't a bad thing. It is like an early Easter present. Maybe, I can have the Easter Bunny hide it for me, so I can act surprised when I find it.
post #50 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by octick View Post

To me, that isn't a bad thing. It is like an early Easter present. Maybe, I can have the Easter Bunny hide it for me, so I can act surprised when I find it.

in certain types of software or firmware, it's actually called "Easter Eggs"!!
post #51 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Aww that sucks about the input lag pyoo. I play Halo 3 constantly and I love my XBR1 because there is zero input lag...well at least to me it seems like there's no input lag. Anyway you mentioned that you turned Motionflow and Cinemotion off. Did you enable Game Mode?

The TV doesn't appear to have any game mode other than something it calls a game Scene which seems to only adjust the color settings. The lag didn't go away when I enabled it.
post #52 of 821
That's odd. According to the Sonystyle.ca website, the HX701 is suppose to have two games modes: Game-Standard & Game-Original.
post #53 of 821
you are correct it does .he just got the set and has not got to go through everything probably but you are correct here you go

Picture Mode Vivid, Standard, Custom, Cinema, Game-Standard, Game-Original, Graphics, Sports, Photo-Vivid, Photo-Standard, Photo-Original, Photo-Custom
post #54 of 821
my main concerns here are how is the hd picture ?
and how is the 240 motion flow . are you seeing any artifacts on fast moving such as hockey..
also want to play xbox 360 on it and looking for an honest review with all the correct settings in the correct gaming modes ..
i have the older 60in xbr and did not see any lag at all on the 360 ..i am just looking forward to watching tv without a big blue blobb around my clear basketball cricle in the middle .they said 2 weeks i should have it
my main concern is picture quality .on hds and with my 360 ..got this for 1250 plus tax through sony so you cant beat it .thanks


good luck to all
post #55 of 821
Living here in nyc, i decided to get off my tush to get to midtown and go downstairs at the Sony Style store to see, once and for all, what all this monolithic glass front is about. I couldn't just read all about it here on these threads and go see with my own eyes, right?

Well, there was an NX already at the front store window, and downstairs, there were only 3 tv's with the monolithic front panels. One of them is rather small and mounted on the right side wall (along with many other non-monolithic units).

I don't believe that the monolithic glass front is going to be a huge problem for me - though it truly remains to be seen in each person's own surroundings, obviously, for the ultimate test.

Yes, the distance of the LCD from the front glass is not ideal, then again, what is "ideal"? It looks nice, it is a deep black or whatever they call it screen, blah blah blah... pros and some cons as well.

For me, thus far, i'm pleased with my choice of the 55HX701. It is a more mature CCFL-lit technology rather than the newer, less "tested" LED's. Plus, if I were to get LED backlit, I'd like local dimming, etc.

This trip made me feel like I made the right choice.

It remains to be seen, of course, how it ultimately performs in my own home. So I'm encouraged today, though I have not yet rendered a final verdict.
post #56 of 821
In my opinion, design and picture-quality wise, they look way better than than the EX700 series.
post #57 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

In my opinion, design and picture-quality wise, they look way better than than the EX700 series.

hi there. in general, i concur. i am only slightly cautious in rendering a final conclusion/verdict as i did not truly spend the time and effort in auditioning these two tv's side by side with the identical source material as well as in the same area at Sony Style's basement. the difference in their overhead lighting from one area to another is quite significant.

overall, i do agree that many LED backlit units are overly harsh in their rendering of colors. in fact, i find many CCFL-lit units far more natural looking.
post #58 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

This trip made me feel like I made the right choice.

I'm happy to hear you say that, and am hoping that I feel the same way as you do.

Really looking forward to getting my set and finally seeing one firsthand, especially in my own home environment.
post #59 of 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

hi there. in general, i concur. i am only slightly cautious in rendering a final conclusion/verdict as i did not truly spend the time and effort in auditioning these two tv's side by side with the identical source material as well as in the same area at Sony Style's basement. the difference in their overhead lighting from one area to another is quite significant.

overall, i do agree that many LED backlit units are overly harsh in their rendering of colors. in fact, i find many CCFL-lit units far more natural looking.

i have not had too much time with the HX701s but in general I really enjoy their picture quality, while the EX700s seem to offer marginal PQ gains at best over their EX5 line...mostly in black levels; color seems a bit too dull for even an LED edge-lit model. When set to torch mode skin tones become way too hot and everything (obviously) becomes unnaturally vivid. The only thing I can give the EX7s is that they seem to have better uniformity than the samsung C6300/6500/7000S, but i digress.
post #60 of 821
My card was charged today and I live in Northern Ca.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread