or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 7

post #181 of 10650
I want to take back the G20 and get either the 50 or 54 inch Vt20/25, so long as there are no floating blacks? Can anyone help? Is anyone experiencing floating blacks with the 3d set? Meaning, do the gamma levels or brightness change on the set depending on the content you are viewing? When I watch blue rays on my G20, the blacks literally change and get darker several seconds after the movie changes to a darker setting. Then they go back and get lighter again in a lighter frame. It's really annoying, and a lot of people are experiencing this same issue-- most evident when viewing in darker settings. It has nothing to do with the CATS setting either.

I want to take back the G20 and get either the 50 or 54 inch Vt20/25, so long as there are no floating blacks? Can anyone help?
post #182 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I don't recall any reviews that put the S1 lower than .008 ft/L. The VT20's blacks increase when in 3D mode to compensate for the glasses; I don't suppose the set you saw was running in 2D mode?

58 and 65 inch S1's were measured at .005/.006. Granted, the 58/65vt25's should be around .002/.003, so its sort of an unfair comparison. In 3D mode, the scenes didn't feature much black content, so I couldn't judge. In 2 d mode with Coraline playing on BD, the blacks were deep, just not a big improvement over last year, and no noticeable improvement over my OOTB 58S1. The Kuro also had Coraline playing, and was noticeably deeper.
post #183 of 10650
Finally saw the VT20 at BB this past weekend. The 3D looked as promised. Great PQ. Problem was when my wife tried on the glasses, they kept slipping down her nose. I adjusted the nose pad with no improvement. BS mentioned that there will be different sizes of the glasses to come later priced around $200. Is this true or what can be done with the current glasses ?
post #184 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxpSGR View Post

Finally saw the VT20 at BB this past weekend. The 3D looked as promised. Great PQ. Problem was when my wife tried on the glasses, they kept slipping down her nose. I adjusted the nose pad with no improvement. BS mentioned that there will be different sizes of the glasses to come later priced around $200. Is this true or what can be done with the current glasses ?

The Panasonic glasses have 2 different nose pad attachments. One rests higher on the bridge of the nose and one that hits lower on the bridge of the nose. So there's hope yet for your wife. My wife had the same problem at the store but it fit her better once we tried them at home with the right attachment.
post #185 of 10650
tacklebary I read somewhere Panasonic Canada would announce pricing on the 23rd. We'll see if true.
post #186 of 10650
Saw the VT20 in a Best Buy in Pasadena. Was blown away by the 3d. Literally. The water scenes literally made me flinch backwards.

Really considering it over the G20 50" or 54", but what I need to know is that it's better than the G series, not just that it has 3d.

I think the 3d will be cool, but wouldn't pay $1000 more for it.

What I would pay more for is a much better set overall.

If these floating black issues don't seem to make their way to the V series, and the set is generally better I probably would buy it.

Hoping more people pick it up and get some reviews in, but so far I am very encouraged.

-smak-
post #187 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesma View Post

tacklebary I read somewhere Panasonic Canada would announce pricing on the 23rd. We'll see if true.

Great let's hope that they will start to flood the market with these. Hard to hear about our American friends having some access to these sets as well as demo units while we stare at empty showrooms at BB and FS.
post #188 of 10650
For any 50" VT20 owners, I was wondering if you could help me out and check something for me. So, I'm looking into this set for my bedroom and will absolutely be going to my local BB to check out the demo and see the picture in person. The thing is, the cabinet it has to go in is off in the height dimension by a fraction of an inch. The available width and depth both leave room to spare but the height inside the cabinet is 31.75" while the manual on the Panny says it is 31.9" with the stand. The floor and ceiling of that cabinet are solid wood with no real give and that's the only place I can put the TV. So, is there any even slight height adjustment on the stand, perhaps even unintentionally? I'm talking about the kind of thing where depending on how you put the bolts in, you may impact the overall height slightly. The difference is so close that I'm hoping there is some wiggle room.

Any thoughts or feedback? Thanks in advance.

Jeff
post #189 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

Saw the VT20 in a Best Buy in Pasadena. Was blown away by the 3d. Literally. The water scenes literally made me flinch backwards.

Really considering it over the G20 50" or 54", but what I need to know is that it's better than the G series, not just that it has 3d.

I think the 3d will be cool, but wouldn't pay $1000 more for it.

What I would pay more for is a much better set overall.

If these floating black issues don't seem to make their way to the V series, and the set is generally better I probably would buy it.

Hoping more people pick it up and get some reviews in, but so far I am very encouraged.

-smak-

I am finding it hard to believe that the black issue is going to be seen in the VTs. Maybe it is wishful thinking. The VT20 I've been looking at is sooooo deep black. For better or worse, I'm still going with it.
post #190 of 10650
Apologies if this has been answered but I did not see it.

How does one watch the 3D demo disc that is mentioned? I assume you need need the 3D Blu Ray player to view this on this set correct?

If you buy this set and bring it home, you also need to get the 3D BR player as well?
post #191 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post

Apologies if this has been answered but I did not see it.

How does one watch the 3D demo disc that is mentioned? I assume you need need the 3D Blu Ray player to view this on this set correct?

If you buy this set and bring it home, you also need to get the 3D BR player as well?

Correct, you will need a 3D BD player. Some stores may bundle a player and an additonal pair of glasses in the price of the TV.
post #192 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr View Post

......the height inside the cabinet is 31.75" while the manual on the Panny says it is 31.9" with the stand. The floor and ceiling of that cabinet are solid wood with no real give and that's the only place I can put the TV. So, is there any even slight height adjustment on the stand, perhaps even unintentionally? I'm talking about the kind of thing where depending on how you put the bolts in, you may impact the overall height slightly. The difference is so close that I'm hoping there is some wiggle room.

There is absolutely no height adjustment on the stand. The VT20 sits all the way down on the little posts and bottoms out, then you install the securing screws. This is how all Panasonic stands are.

There is always the possibility that the TV is actually a little lower than the manual says it is (my 42PZ700U is shorter than the manual says but my 46G10 is spot on).

Another option for you might be to build up a false wall in that cubbyhole and install a wall mount instead of using the pedestal stand. That would also enable you to place the TV more flush with the face of the cabinet, where with the pedestal stand you have to push it rearward several inches so the front of the stand doesn't stick out past the shelf.
post #193 of 10650
What I'm wondering is, how will the lag be when put in 3D-mode? whilest (presumably) 30ms is do-able for the 2D-mode, how is it when you put it on 3D?
post #194 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There is absolutely no height adjustment on the stand. The VT20 sits all the way down on the little posts and bottoms out, then you install the securing screws. This is how all Panasonic stands are.

There is always the possibility that the TV is actually a little lower than the manual says it is (my 42PZ700U is shorter than the manual says but my 46G10 is spot on).

Another option for you might be to build up a false wall in that cubbyhole and install a wall mount instead of using the pedestal stand. That would also enable you to place the TV more flush with the face of the cabinet, where with the pedestal stand you have to push it rearward several inches so the front of the stand doesn't stick out past the shelf.

Thanks for the info and the suggestions. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind measuring the real world height for me just to test. Thanks!

Jeff
post #195 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoDM View Post

What I'm wondering is, how will the lag be when put in 3D-mode? whilest (presumably) 30ms is do-able for the 2D-mode, how is it when you put it on 3D?

That's a great question. Further down the road if/when next-generation consoles start offering 3D games, it'll be very interesting to see if lag becomes a serious issue.
post #196 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEFINITY View Post


I really like that layout for a tv stand (3 shelves down the middle, storage on the sides); mine is exactly the same in that regard, but far cheaper in appearance. Where did you get yours and do you recall the name of it? I looked forever to find a stand with this layout and the height/width I wanted; did you have a hard time as well? Thanks!
post #197 of 10650
where are you guys buying these sets?

i dont see them listed on the panasonic site at all and bestbuy.com doesnt list them either.

edit: nvm i just called a magnolia an hour from my home and they have the VT20 available. can anyone tell me what sizes they offer?
post #198 of 10650
BB/Magnolia only has 50" VT20 for now and 54" VT20 coming down the line. VT20 is a BB exclusive, but the general VT25 will be available in 50" & 54" (ETA not 100% confirmed, but rumored to be a few weeks) and then 58" and 65" (no official release dates either, late-May or June seem to be the commonly received responses).
post #199 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

where are you guys buying these sets?

i dont see them listed on the panasonic site at all and bestbuy.com doesnt list them either.

edit: nvm i just called a magnolia an hour from my home and they have the VT20 available. can anyone tell me what sizes they offer?

The VT20 only comes in 50", the VT25 will come in bigger sizes but it's not out yet.

If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

P.S. Rusedude beat me, I lose. : (
post #200 of 10650
Can anyone check the VT20 outside box, is it mark made in Mexico or made in Japan?

Thanks!
post #201 of 10650
and are there any big differences between the VT20 and 25?

if there arent i'd go out and purchase the 20 right now, but if there are theres no sense in not waiting a few weeks.
post #202 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

and are there any big differences between the VT20 and 25?

if there arent i'd go out and purchase the 20 right now, but if there are theres no sense in not waiting a few weeks.

The 25 adds an RS232 port and ISFccc calibration. I hope the 25's will be out soon, I'm ready now lol.
post #203 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 View Post

Can anyone check the VT20 outside box, is it mark made in Mexico or made in Japan?

Happy Nightmares stated that his 50VT20 was made in Japan. The one i saw at BB the other day was also made in Japan. It seems like the Mexico plant isn't building them yet.
post #204 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

and are there any big differences between the VT20 and 25?

"Big" differences? It depends on your needs.

a) The VT25 has a different colored bezel: sort of a dark antique brass or bronze. People who saw it at CES generally liked it, but it's hard to tell what it looks like from the photos.

b) It apparently has a way to access the settings a calibrator would want to get to without going into to service menu, possibly using the USB or RS232 port and a specialized piece of hardware, or maybe just another user menu. No real details seen on this yet.

c) There's a third difference that I can't remember, at about the same level of significance.

Essentially, the VT20 and VT25 are the same set
post #205 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesma View Post

tacklebary I read somewhere Panasonic Canada would announce pricing on the 23rd. We'll see if true.

Lets hope the pricing is a bit more competitive this year to help adoption (unlikely).
The Canadian G20 is listed on the Panasonic website for ~30% more than the US G20 , so given what the expected price of the VT25 is right now its going to be silly expensive here (sigh).
post #206 of 10650
http://markhamappliances.ca/product_...d_id=&size_id=
Don't know this retailer but if true that is not a bad price.
post #207 of 10650
ah, that is a bad price, come over in the US when they hit
post #208 of 10650
The closest town to me is a five hour round trip plus border wait times. No warranty. Car won't fit a tv. Maybe duty if build in Japan.
post #209 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entz View Post

Lets hope the pricing is a bit more competitive this year to help adoption (unlikely).
The Canadian G20 is listed on the Panasonic website for ~30% more than the US G20 , so given what the expected price of the VT25 is right now its going to be silly expensive here (sigh).

I can't believe it. Panasonic is gouging us AGAIN. The Cdn dollar is virtually at par with the US dollar at the time the sets are released and yet:

Canadian msrp for 50G20: $1999 (US msrp: $1499) -- 33% markup
54G20: $2499 (US: $1999) -- 25% markup

Outrageous. Only Panny is doing this. LG and Samsung aren't.
post #210 of 10650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Happy Nightmares stated that his 50VT20 was made in Japan. The one i saw at BB the other day was also made in Japan. It seems like the Mexico plant isn't building them yet.

Cool...I wonder how long the Japan plant will be making them for. I'm in the market for a 65" VT25. Would be cool to get one made in Japan.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!!