or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, ME - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 158

post #4711 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post

From what I have heard so far on this forum (Stan 54), you can get the locals in HD without a box from all providers. Correct or not?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "from all providers." If you remove that from the sentence, the answer is yes. At least that is true as of this moment on TWC in Central Maine (Augusta system).

MisterEEE provided me with the solution.
post #4712 of 4993
7AM and I still have analog cable. Guess they didn't have someone on the night shift or the start of the early shift flip a switch.

Did scan yesterday and there were a few stations in SD repeated above 100 and 5 channels of 102 (faq mentioned to determine need for box)

Beekeeper, yes, the local stations will be clear QAM receivable / unencrypted, according to TWC. Same should go for Comcast & others.

Guess we may see some change by lunch time.
post #4713 of 4993
Lunch time. Analog cable is still up

Wonder why?
post #4714 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Lunch time. Analog cable is still up

Wonder why?

It's 2:30 pm "the day after" and, still, the analog is on even though the picture looks just a little bit weaker (very slightly grainy). This makes no sense to me at all, but that is what I am seeing. Perhaps, this is the way they are doing it. As the picture worsens, the still uninformed will call in to complain and be advised that they need an adapter. (I think TWC did say that they would "begin" the process on the 19th.)

TWC's bill arrived a couple of days ago and included a pamphlet that discussed boxes, QAM, etc. in a much more straight - forward manner than I have ever seen before.
post #4715 of 4993
7pm on Thu, still have analog.

Came home, expected the change to have happened today, but our little 15" analog TV besides the bigger primary TV is still going strong.

Maybe TWC got cold feet? Just kidding.
post #4716 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

7pm on Thu, still have analog.

Came home, expected the change to have happened today, but our little 15" analog TV besides the bigger primary TV is still going strong.

Maybe TWC got cold feet? Just kidding.

Well sometimes there are small delays. TWC here in North Texas sent out a notice saying that they were moving a lot of SD channel to SDV and they originally said october 3rd but instead the changes happened on October 6th.

We gained 8 new SDV QAMs for a total of 24 SDV QAMs:

687MHz
693MHz
699MHz
705MHz
711MHz
717MHz
723MHz
729MHz

So it seems that instead of analog reclaims in my area it is more SDV QAMs.

By the way it looks like you guys in Augusta are not the only ones getting an all digital boost before the end of the year Barstow California is going all digital as well and they are 550MHz and at the time of the digital transition they will get SDV to complement all digital.

Time Warner Cable's San Diego division agreements with programmers and broadcasters to carry their service and stations routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, but in order to comply with applicable regulations, we must inform you when an agreement is about to expire. The following agreements with programmers are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services/stations in the near future. Erotic Networks, Cooking Channel, DIY, DIY HD, Great American Country, Music Choice, WE, WE HD, BBC America, BBC America HD, E!, E! HD, Fuse, Fuse HD, Golf Channel, Golf Channel HD, Sprout Style, Style HD, truTV, and truTV HD.

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers: On or after, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, C-SPAN, channel 1 will be moving to channel 41. Shop NBC, channel 56, will be moving from the Expanded Cable package to the Basic Cable package and will remain on the same channel number. C-SPAN 2/California Channel, channel 33, will no longer be available. ESPN 2, channel 41, will be moving to channel 33. TruTV, channel 101, will be to channel 60 and from the Variety Package to the Expanded Cable Package. The following services will be duplicated into a new Variety Package: Nat Geo WILD, channel 100; Sleuth, channel 102; Current TV, channel 103; Military History, channel 109; Military Channel, channel 110; Planet Green, channel 111; Investigation Discovery, channel 112; The Hub, channel 113; Science, channel 114; OWN, channel 115; Lifetime Movie Network, channel 120; Lifetime Real Women, channel 121; Oxygen, channel 122; Style, channel 124; TBN, channel 132; Daystar, channel 133; Fox Soccer Channel, channel 137; ESPNews, channel 141; MLB Network, channel 142; Fuse, channel 145; MTV2, channel 146; VH1 Classic, channel 148; CMT, channel 149; Nicktoons, channel 155; TeenNick, channel 156; Disney XD, channel 157; Nick Jr., channel 158; BBC America, channel 165; CNBC World, channel 166; Versus, channel 305; ESPN Classic, channel 307; G4 Video Game TV, channel 310; GAC, channel 315; Discovery Fit & Health, channel 321; WE, channel 323; Hallmark Channel, channel 324; Sundance Channel, channel 327; Fox Deportes, channel 603; Mun2, channel 612; ESPN Deportes, channel 616; nuvoTV, channel 617; Science HD, channel 719; and MLB Network HD, channel 742. The following services will be duplicated into a new Choice Package: GSN, channel 104; SoapNet, channel 123; EWTN, channel 130; INSP, channel 131; Centric, channel 147; National Geographic, channel 300; Bio., channel 301; History International, channel 302; Boomerang, channel 311; Cooking Channel, channel 320; DIY, channel 322; Bloomberg, channel 330; CNN International, channel 331; C-SPAN 3, channel 332; National Geographic HD, channel 760; and Bio. HD, channel 765. The following services will be duplicated into a new Movie Pass Package: Fox Movie Channel, channel 325; IFC, channel 326; and Sundance, channel 327. The following services will be duplicated into a new Sports Pass Package: Outdoor Channel, channel 136; FCS Pacific, channel 138; FCS Central, channel 139; FCS Atlantic, channel 140; Fuel, channel 306; and ESPN Classic, channel 307. Galavision will be duplicated on channel 628 in the Nuestra Tele Package. In Demand PPV 3-7, channels 412-416 will no longer be available.

The new services listed below will require two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box: Jewelry TV, TWC 101, TWC Special Programming, ION (KPXN) HD, KCET (IND) HD, PBS (KOCE) HD, Telemundo (KVEA) HD, MYTV (KCOP) HD. NBA TV, Fox Business Network, ReelzChannel, Chiller, Logo, TV One, Shop Zeal 1, ESPNU, Hallmark Channel HD, Versus HD, Investigation Discovery HD, BBC America HD, Fox Business Network HD, Disney XD HD, G4 Video Game TV HD, Fuse HD, CMT HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, Style HD, TV One HD, Fox Soccer Channel HD, NBA TV HD, ESPNews HD, ESPNU HD, NASA TV, PBS Kids Sprout, Gospel Music Channel, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, MTV Soul, The Word Network, Jewish Life Television, Ovation, KBS World, Mnet, TVK1, TVK2, CCTV-9 (English), The Africa Channel, History International HD, Encore, Encore East, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Suspense, Encore Family, Encore Westerns, Flix, Hallmark Movie Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel HD, IFC HD, CBS Sports Network, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, NHL Network, Tennis Channel, Fox Soccer Channel HD, Fox Soccer Plus HD, CBS Sports Network HD, NHL Network HD, ESPN Goal Line / Buzzer Beater, MGM HD, Crime & Investigation HD, Universal HD, Smithsonian Channel HD, ESPN 3D, 3DTV Special Events, Multimedios, Mexico TV, Teleformula, Centroamerica TV, Sur Peru, Latinoamerica TV, Ecuavisa Internacional, TV Chile, Caracol Internacional, TV Colombia, TV Venezuela, ViendoMovies, HBO 2 East, HBO Signature East, HBO East HD, HBO Latino East HD, Cinemax@MAX, Cinemax 5StarMAX, Cinemax MoreMAX, Cinemax ThrillerMAX, Cinemax WMAX, Cinemax East HD, Showtime East HD, The Movie Channel HD, Starz, Starz East, Starz Cinema, Starz Edge, Starz in Black, Starz Kids & Family, Starz HD, Starz East HD, HD PPV, MLB Extra Innings/NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick, Game 1 HD, Game 2 HD, and Team HD.

On or about November 30 2011, in our effort to utilize our network to continually offer new services, including new HD channels, on-demand programming, and enhanced high-speed data services, the following services that are currently made available in an analog (or both analog and digital) format will be made available in a digital format only: ESPN, USA Network, TNT, ABC Family, FSN West, QVC, HSN, Discovery Channel, TLC, History, Spike TV, A&E, AMC, HLN, VH1, BET, TV Guide, CNN, Nick, MTV, Lifetime, Univision, Galavision, Syfy, Cartoon Network, TCM, Comedy Central, CNBC, E!, The Weather Channel, Travel Channel, Disney Channel, MSNBC, HGTV, FX, TV Land, Bravo, Animal Planet, Food Network, Golf Channel, Fox News Channel, and TBS. These channels will remain in their current tiers, as they will continue to be available in a digital format that can be viewed using a two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Barst.../cable/analog/
post #4717 of 4993
Very informative post, Kevin.

Learned something new: SDV - Switched Digital Video. It makes a lot of sense from a practical & bandwidth standpoint to only transmit what is used. I'm also sure that there is a pretty reliable top 10 & 20 of channels watched by all subscribers within their tier, any given day or week. So, on the fly, with the bulk of viewers watching the same channels, it looks like it would save bandwith.

Though in practice I'm curious how the numbers / benefits stack up, considering they may have to send all channels to the neighborhood. If you have a few thousand subscribers on a node, chances are you'll have at least one household watching a channel others aren't watching. Benefits of not transmitting to a household where everybody is at work and in school, are offset by households where somebody is home. I think we've all met people where the TV is on unless somebody is visiting. In households with multiple TVs it is easy to have two different channels coming in. I used to leave the weather channel on, a lot. Some people really like their daytime TV shows.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: I wonder if on a local scale there are stations that aren't being watched.

I may have to read it again, but when you say SDV QAM; it sounds like SDV can happen with QAM tvs, without Digital Cable Box or Adapter. Correct?

I would be thrilled with that. Okay, they'd kill of analog - so goodbye analog dvr, dvdr, etc - but going Clear QAM on what we subscribe to and NO DCA boxes would solve some major headaches, and allow several devices to tune in, in close proximity (dual TV setup) ... and paves the way for more 3rd party QAM devices, hopefully. Or at least leaves the door open for it.
post #4718 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Very informative post, Kevin.

Learned something new: SDV - Switched Digital Video. It makes a lot of sense from a practical & bandwidth standpoint to only transmit what is used. I'm also sure that there is a pretty reliable top 10 & 20 of channels watched by all subscribers within their tier, any given day or week. So, on the fly, with the bulk of viewers watching the same channels, it looks like it would save bandwith.

Though in practice I'm curious how the numbers / benefits stack up, considering they may have to send all channels to the neighborhood. If you have a few thousand subscribers on a node, chances are you'll have at least one household watching a channel others aren't watching. Benefits of not transmitting to a household where everybody is at work and in school, are offset by households where somebody is home. I think we've all met people where the TV is on unless somebody is visiting. In households with multiple TVs it is easy to have two different channels coming in. I used to leave the weather channel on, a lot. Some people really like their daytime TV shows.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: I wonder if on a local scale there are stations that aren't being watched.

I may have to read it again, but when you say SDV QAM; it sounds like SDV can happen with QAM tvs, without Digital Cable Box or Adapter. Correct?

I would be thrilled with that. Okay, they'd kill of analog - so goodbye analog dvr, dvdr, etc - but going Clear QAM on what we subscribe to and NO DCA boxes would solve some major headaches, and allow several devices to tune in, in close proximity (dual TV setup) ... and paves the way for more 3rd party QAM devices, hopefully. Or at least leaves the door open for it.

Nodes only provide service to about 250 homes. I was told that my node only serves about 150 devices.

SDV channels change often and yes sometimes they are clear QAM Jewelry TV here is SDV and is clear QAM.

For instance TWC north texas is an 860MHz which allows for us to have additonal SDV QAMs and DOCSIS 3.0 carriers above 750MHz which Augusta is at.

Our SDV QAMs are:

687MHz
693MHz
699MHz
705MHz
711MHz
717MHz
723MHz
729MHz
735MHz
741MHz
747MHz
753MHz
759MHz
765MHz
771MHz
777MHz
819MHz
825MHz
831MHz
837MHz
843MHz
849MHz
855MHz
861MHz
post #4719 of 4993
regarding the number of households served, I was just going by some online information, like this graphic:

post #4720 of 4993
Any news on the TWC-SDV front? Are the analog channels still up? Like you guys, I'm not looking forward to the conversion. In addition to the VCR issue, it's a major headache for folks like me working in the hotel business. Unlike analog cable, SDV signals are notoriously unreliable once they pass through the numerous filters, splitters and amplifiers that distribute cable service throughout the building. Pricing for getting SDV in each guestroom is brutal compared to what we're paying now, too. Imagine what Maine Medical Center will have to put up with... We're looking at building a satellite headend (racks of satellite receivers, modulators, splitters etc.) to get around this issue, but the channel capacity is nothing like the 70-channel traditional cable service. Ugh...
post #4721 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathandler View Post

Any news on the TWC-SDV front? Are the analog channels still up? Like you guys, I'm not looking forward to the conversion. In addition to the VCR issue, it's a major headache for folks like me working in the hotel business. Unlike analog cable, SDV signals are notoriously unreliable once they pass through the numerous filters, splitters and amplifiers that distribute cable service throughout the building. Pricing for getting SDV in each guestroom is brutal compared to what we're paying now, too. Imagine what Maine Medical Center will have to put up with... We're looking at building a satellite headend (racks of satellite receivers, modulators, splitters etc.) to get around this issue, but the channel capacity is nothing like the 70-channel traditional cable service. Ugh...

TWC Augusta has had SDV for quite a while. We are still waiting to see the analog signals taken down.
post #4722 of 4993
Analog TV is still up here.
( Heard third hand that it may have been delayed till January ?? )

I can't imagine the investment cost & decision nightmare for motels, hotels, ... to upgrade from analog amplification & distribution.

Satellite looks like it can serve up to 15 TVs in a residential setting. I don't need that many, but the hardware investment and commitment is a no-go. Even with a few free receivers.

I looked through the TV Guide website at the Maine antenna line-up; and it looks like we may get 7 stations with their subs. NO Create channel or PBS World ... which is what I watch mostly ... sigh.
post #4723 of 4993
Called TWC. They decided to only do a gradual roll-out of digital cable, rather than a big switch.

They will switch a few channels over at a time, town by town.

Eventually everything should be switched over to digital by year's end.

They've gotten lots of calls why channels went missing in one town where they went digital ...

Hopefully that included a lot of complaints too. Eliminate analog TV. Obsoleting equipment. Requiring additional equipment. Have a poor information campaign. Confuse people. Then change gears about the roll-out. It makes sense from a logistical perspective so they can handle the flood of calls & complaints ... but maybe they should realize how they are frustrating customers, more than anything. Maybe they figured that if they do it a bit more gradual, the drop-out rate would be less, as a opposed to a hard switch and many people jumping on satellite. I know I've gotten an offer for directv or dish pretty much every week.

Asked the question if CREATE & PBS World (two of our favorite channels for DIY, Travel, Documentaries, ...) would be clear QAM over cable.

Could not get an answer to that ... nor if they'd become 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4. Was told I'm getting those point channels as digital over the air through cable acting as an antenna ... as TWC does not broadcast point channels. Which also got back to the point that this would be a channel I shouldn't be getting as part of my lineup ... But, then what about all the other people who also get the other locals in HD? Like 85.2 ABC 99.11 NBC etc. And the fact that TWC has moved these around from time to time? Because I don't think MPBN is broadcasting these between 70-100 OTA, and switched their location many times ... it'd be 10.x or 26.x.

And it seems like it is not known how the line-up will go when the HD boxes come in either, as far as SD & HD.

I really don't like it when I can get the straight scoop on a service or product.
post #4724 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Called TWC. They decided to only do a gradual roll-out of digital cable, rather than a big switch.

They will switch a few channels over at a time, town by town.

Eventually everything should be switched over to digital by year's end.

They've gotten lots of calls why channels went missing in one town where they went digital ...

Hopefully that included a lot of complaints too. Eliminate analog TV. Obsoleting equipment. Requiring additional equipment. Have a poor information campaign. Confuse people. Then change gears about the roll-out. It makes sense from a logistical perspective so they can handle the flood of calls & complaints ... but maybe they should realize how they are frustrating customers, more than anything. Maybe they figured that if they do it a bit more gradual, the drop-out rate would be less, as a opposed to a hard switch and many people jumping on satellite. I know I've gotten an offer for directv or dish pretty much every week.

Asked the question if CREATE & PBS World (two of our favorite channels for DIY, Travel, Documentaries, ...) would be clear QAM over cable.

Could not get an answer to that ... nor if they'd become 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4. Was told I'm getting those point channels as digital over the air through cable acting as an antenna ... as TWC does not broadcast point channels. Which also got back to the point that this would be a channel I shouldn't be getting as part of my lineup ... But, then what about all the other people who also get the other locals in HD? Like 85.2 ABC 99.11 NBC etc. And the fact that TWC has moved these around from time to time? Because I don't think MPBN is broadcasting these between 70-100 OTA, and switched their location many times ... it'd be 10.x or 26.x.

And it seems like it is not known how the line-up will go when the HD boxes come in either, as far as SD & HD.

I really don't like it when I can get the straight scoop on a service or product.

TWC mailed a consumer's guide with its last bill.

Under Digital "in the clear" Video:
"............... digital services provided as part of the Basic Service Tier including local broadcast stations' standard definition (sd) and high definition (hd) signals, are transmitted in the clear. As a result, they may be viewed using digital tv's and other devices that use a QAM tuner............"

The channels you mention are local broadcast "stations" grouped under Maine Public Television. I cannot believe that we will not continue to have access to these local broadcast stations.

"Broadcast" means over the air. Cable does not "broadcast." The cable business is restricted as to what it can do with electronic signals that are cast out broadly for use by anyone. ......... I'll bet they don't like it because their most popular offering (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS) is broadcast. Some people consider this enough.
post #4725 of 4993
Thanks for sharing that.

We're both thinking on the same line(s).

I got a sense that when, I was asking about Create & PBS World specifically, he (truthfully) didnt know and thus couldn't say yes/no. I was disappointed by that as previously, he seemed to be in the know and the most knowledgeable Adelphia/TWC person I've spoken with. I asked if there was anybody else who could answer specifically, and he didn't refer nor offered to transfer me.

One thing he did include was, that if I receive this Create & PBS World "as OTA station via cable" now, it likely would still be there after the digital conversion ... but, again, that that is something my TV is picking up that doesn't come from TWC ...

I don't know I'll just wait it out, like everybody else, I guess, to figure out what happens and keep an eye on this thread.

If those two stations are included, and I 110% think they should be clear QAM with basic basic, I'm not going to use digital cable adapters (or boxes). I'll just get whatever I can get through the wall.

Count me as one of the people for whom the few major stations are fine, really. We've had the combo bundle with whatever options, wanted some more stations, but ended up paying way too much really for what we used ... plus it was more costly than what TWC advertised *, coinciding with that crappy over-compressed pixelated HD (cough) Adelphia was pushing, so we downgraded a couple years ago. No regrets really.

I'm perfectly fine supplementing a more limited number of TV channels, than most people have, with some Redbox, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and international news broadcasts over the internet. Yeah, I still miss out on some stuff like history & discovery. And, that's why I wouldn't mind paying reasonably for access to another dozen specific stations in HD and a few European stations they don't carry actually; maybe get one cable box for the media room ... but, I refuse to buy into the whole upgraded multiple boxes, bigger bundle, tiers and passes thing for the few channels I care about. I don't need shopping, sports, music, religion, kids, standard def, on demand, ppv, ... And $10/mo for 1 euro channel? I don't think so.



* Isn't it great that to this day TWC can get away with NOT disclosing the price after the promotional periods end ... thought there was a consumer law against that.
post #4726 of 4993
WCSH in HD
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/17...hoolsports.net/

When the leaves drop so does 6 OTA
post #4727 of 4993
Create and PBS World are on TWC clear QAM.
post #4728 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

TWC mailed a consumer's guide with its last bill.

Under Digital "in the clear" Video:
"............... digital services provided as part of the Basic Service Tier including local broadcast stations' standard definition (sd) and high definition (hd) signals, are transmitted in the clear. As a result, they may be viewed using digital tv's and other devices that use a QAM tuner............"

The channels you mention are local broadcast "stations" grouped under Maine Public Television. I cannot believe that we will not continue to have access to these local broadcast stations.

"Broadcast" means over the air. Cable does not "broadcast." The cable business is restricted as to what it can do with electronic signals that are cast out broadly for use by anyone. ......... I'll bet they don't like it because their most popular offering (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS) is broadcast. Some people consider this enough.


One BIG Caveat to Clear QAM Cable for Local Broadcast Channels...
For the past few years, Cable companies have been petitioning the FCC for exemptions to the FCC rule that won't allow the encryption of the local over the air (broadcast) channels on cable. A few requests were approved by the FCC for individual cable systems where theft of cable was widespread. However, it was nearly impossible for a cable company to receive an FCC waiver to 100 percent encrypt a local cable system. Unfortunately, money talks in this country. The FCC recently did an abrupt about face and announced in early October under a "notice of proposed rule making" that after a series of hearings it plans to change the rule and allow encryption of the local broadcast channels on cable systems nationwide. So unless someone with deep pockets comes forward to these FCC hearings and says hell no to encryption, clear QAM cable is dead and the little guy gets screwed again. In short, the FCC has put clear QAM cable on the endangered species list.

Another issue is local broadcast TV itself. Wireless companies want more of the current TV spectrum...basically all channels above UHF channel 30 for wireless (broadband) services. The FCC is pushing for that change as well. Thankfully, the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) is fighting this proposal. If this change were to occur, nearly have the currently licensed broadcast channels that are within 150 miles of the Canadian border would have to shut down for lack of available spectrum. The FCC rationale is that only about 10 percent of the population gets local TV from an antenna. The remainder of people get their local TV stations from cable or satellite. Thus, some local broadcast channels could shut off their transmitters and go cable and satellite only.
post #4729 of 4993
Yep, WCSH6 in HD Woot.

I looked at FCC site a couple weeks ago regarding that new encryption proposal, in their latest news, and couldn't find it. Will have to look again. I'd like to write in a few comments. This whole cutting analog, going digital, now asking for all-encryption is flying too much under the radar for my taste. I can only surmise that that is the intent of the providers and that most people who could highlight this in tech news & media, already have a digital box from the cable co or dish provider, so it doesn't apply to them, no news, nothing to report.
post #4730 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Yep, WCSH6 in HD Woot.

I looked at FCC site a couple weeks ago regarding that new encryption proposal, in their latest news, and couldn't find it. Will have to look again. I'd like to write in a few comments. This whole cutting analog, going digital, now asking for all-encryption is flying too much under the radar for my taste. I can only surmise that that is the intent of the providers and that most people who could highlight this in tech news & media, already have a digital box from the cable co or dish provider, so it doesn't apply to them, no news, nothing to report.

the link is: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-11-153A1.pdf

Also google these two phrases in quotes:

"Broadcasters Warn Reps of Spectrum Reclamation Border Issues"

"FCC Requests Comments on Scrambling Basic Digital Cable Services"

Clear QAM is toast...and maybe most free over the air broadcast TV. Most people won't find out about this until after its a done deal and approved by the FCC and/or Congress. Money talks in this country.
post #4731 of 4993
Excellent, Mister EEE.

Printing said PDF as we speak

Just glanced at the digital version and saw they're saying encryption would affect only a minimal # of customers as most already have boxes, bla bla. Of course.

Do you know what the best channel(s) is(are) to comment with/to the FCC?

Thanks!
post #4732 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Excellent, Mister EEE.

Printing said PDF as we speak

Just glanced at the digital version and saw they're saying encryption would affect only a minimal # of customers as most already have boxes, bla bla. Of course.

Do you know what the best channel(s) is(are) to comment with/to the FCC?

Thanks!


http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/procee...ew?name=11-169

Then choose " Submit a Filing in 11-169 " .

I noticed a person named Greg Cunningham already has filed an online complaint.
post #4733 of 4993
Anyone know what box TW is using for it's HD DVR? (or the regular HD box for that matter?) I'm trying to get my remote codes in order for my Saturday morning install.


EDIT: This is in the Augusta-Rockland region, FYI.
post #4734 of 4993
Something is moving in the greater Augusta area.

Just did a quick check of the analog stations (I primarily watch locals in HD) and found several analog stations to have been taken off the air. Instead of the tv broadcast they display a white background with a message " Get your TV picture back. Order your Digital Adapters today. Time Warner Cable timewarnercable.com/GoDigital 1.855.892.3444 "

I get this for stations 2 15 16 23 24.

Did a channel scan. Analog still the same, though some replaced with the get your box message. Clear QAM seems the same. I think it says 2 extra, but haven't figured them out. Still a few black channels above 100.
post #4735 of 4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerabbit View Post

Something is moving in the greater Augusta area.

Just did a quick check of the analog stations (I primarily watch locals in HD) and found several analog stations to have been taken off the air. Instead of the tv broadcast they display a white background with a message " Get your TV picture back. Order your Digital Adapters today. Time Warner Cable timewarnercable.com/GoDigital 1.855.892.3444 "

I get this for stations 2 15 16 23 24.

Did a channel scan. Analog still the same, though some replaced with the get your box message. Clear QAM seems the same. I think it says 2 extra, but haven't figured them out. Still a few black channels above 100.

The analog channels still appear on the non - adapter sets at my house, including those listed above. As I have said before, they are just a little grainy for some reason, but they are still there. It will be interesting to see if some people will complain when they do start to go. Some folks never get the message.
post #4736 of 4993
This is really getting ridiculous!!

Below is a summary of price changes for some Time Warner Cable services, that will be effective in the December 2011 statement. These new prices reflect our continual investments in making your services more valuable and
reliable, as well as the significantly increased cost of cable programming. If you are currently receiving a promotional discount price for your services, that price will remain in effect for the duration of the promotional period.

Digital Cable 72.99 77.49
Talk & Surf 86.99 89.94
Watch & Talk 114.99 119.49
Watch & Talk Plus 138.99 143.49
Watch & Surf 118.99 125.49
Watch & Surf Plus 141.99 148.49
All The Best 154.99 161.49
All The Best Plus 175.99 182.49
All The Best Premium 193.99 200.49
CableCARD 2.50 2.00
DVR Service (primary) 11.95 12.95
DVR Service (additional) 11.95 12.95
Here! TV 6.99 7.99
post #4737 of 4993
Back on Sep. 9, I reported that new Cisco HD DVRs were now available in the Comcast Brunswick area system.

Now I can report that a new Cisco HD receiver - specifically the Cisco RNG 150N - is making an appearance. It looks like this:



A User Manual is available here.

My older SA4250 HD receiver began to exhibit subtle problems which a service technician confirmed on a house visit this AM. He installed the Cisco RNG 150N and the problem went away. It very likely was related to HDMI compatibility.

Dana
post #4738 of 4993
TWC is executing a price rate increase effective upcoming December 1st ... highest quality and best value ... continual investment ... services more valuable and reliable ... significantly increased cost of cable programming.

Every package price goes up $5 - $7 /mo.
DVR rental goes up $1 too.
CableCARD down 50c to $2.

Announced in my latest cable bill.
post #4739 of 4993
With apologies to you for saying the same thing. Didn't know you had posted it (in more detail than I had time for) I clicked from the forum index to the last thread page and added a quick reply to the thread. Mea culpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1111 View Post

This is really getting ridiculous!!
Below is a summary of price changes for some Time Warner Cable services, that will be effective in the December 2011 statement. ...
post #4740 of 4993
A report here indicates:

Quote:
Washington, D.C. (Nov. 23, 2011) -- Comcast has raised its monthly rates for TV and Internet service in Oregon and parts of Washington state, a possible sign that it will raise prices in all markets as well...

OregonLive.com writes that a local cable regulatory official in Oregon called Comcast's rate increase "very unfortunate and regrettable."

In an earlier post, I reported that based on a newspaper story about the annual 5% franchise fee from TWC in Norway-So. Paris, apparently TWC's annual net profit there was a cool $1.6 million from a service area of about 10,000 people.

There is no regulatory influence on these cable operators. They get away with these annual rate increases because we have come to expect them. There is no justification for them other than "increased programming and operational costs" which they jam down the rate-payer's gullet.

Meanwhile, these outfits squander their profits on naming rights for sports stadiums and other ego trips while continuing to provide consumers with HD STBs that are antiques.

Outrageous.

Dana
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Portland, ME - HDTV