or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 40

post #1171 of 1610
Both of my USB memory card readers work fine in both ports of my C5500. They also work when I use a USB hub and attach both a card reader and a USB thumb drive to one port and an external hard drive to the other. I haven't really seen any problems with the USB ports on the C5500 working with any of my USB devices.

On the other hand, I've had some card readers and some hubs that just won't work properly on a regular PC, so there's certainly some quality variations with cheap USB devices.
post #1172 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Both of my USB memory card readers work fine in both ports of my C5500. They also work when I use a USB hub and attach both a card reader and a USB thumb drive to one port and an external hard drive to the other. I haven't really seen any problems with the USB ports on the C5500 working with any of my USB devices.

On the other hand, I've had some card readers and some hubs that just won't work properly on a regular PC, so there's certainly some quality variations with cheap USB devices.


Thanks for the information. Do you have a BD-C5500 or BD-D5500? I have two "C"s from last year and they read the card reader fine. The "D" won't work. I wonder if they made some changes on the newer D's.
post #1173 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwest View Post

Hello all,

Can someone please explain why I can't pause, fast forward, or rewind my MP4 files? I can only watch from the beginning. I am a little technologically challenged so please respond in very simple terms I use Vuse to download & convert my AVI files to MP4 to play on the blu ray. Is there any way to fix this? Help!

I do not know why you cannot pause the files, but instead of rewind and fast-forward, you can use the arrows (left and right) on the remote control to move forward and back. Try that and send a new message to tell us if it works.
post #1174 of 1610
I exchanged my BD-D5500 from Costco yesterday. The new one also will not read my Iogear card reader. Since my 2010 BD Players read it just fine, I must assume it's a problem with the 2011 BD Player.

The manual for the BD-D5500 also says on page 14: "Your player supports USB storage media, MP3 players, digital cameras, and USB card readers... "

So I will call Samsung support again and try to convince them to add some support in their next firmware update. I suspect my call will mean zero.
post #1175 of 1610
I activated Netflix through the website. Now when I open Netflix on my c5500 bluray player it says it could not connect and asks me to try again or exit. Pandora connected fine and the network test comes back without issues. I swapped this player with an older 1600 Samsung bluray player which ran Netflix fine.

Any ideas?
post #1176 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post

I activated Netflix through the website. Now when I open Netflix on my c5500 bluray player it says it could not connect and asks me to try again or exit. Pandora connected fine and the network test comes back without issues. I swapped this player with an older 1600 Samsung bluray player which ran Netflix fine.

Any ideas?

Which firmware is it running?
They changed the Netflix interface with the latest version, so the old one might not be supported anymore. ??

Netflix was also down several days ago. (week?)
post #1177 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post

I activated Netflix through the website. Now when I open Netflix on my c5500 bluray player it says it could not connect and asks me to try again or exit. Pandora connected fine and the network test comes back without issues. I swapped this player with an older 1600 Samsung bluray player which ran Netflix fine.

Any ideas?

There was a temporary problem yesterday where previously authorized devices could not connect to Netflix accounts. All better now apparently.
post #1178 of 1610
I would guess that last year's C-series models have already seen the last firmware update from Samsung, but after using ours for the last 8 months, I would ask for 4 final things to be fixed as the top priority if there's 1 more release in the pipe:

1. Don't auto-play the disc in the drive on startup.
2. Support FF/RW/goto time index in AVI 2.0 and equivalent mkv files.
3. Fix the loss of sound when moving from one source to another (e.g., play a video from USB first, no sound on Netflix after that).
4. Allow users to set the "Recommended" apps, or at the very least get rid of the stupid Samsung advertising app from the Recommended.

Any others you would put in a top 5?
post #1179 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post
I would guess that last year's C-series models have already seen the last firmware update from Samsung, but after using ours for the last 8 months, I would ask for 4 final things to be fixed as the top priority if there's 1 more release in the pipe:

1. Don't auto-play the disc in the drive on startup.
2. Support FF/RW/goto time index in AVI 2.0 and equivalent mkv files.
3. Fix the loss of sound when moving from one source to another (e.g., play a video from USB first, no sound on Netflix after that).
4. Allow users to set the "Recommended" apps, or at the very least get rid of the stupid Samsung advertising app from the Recommended.

Any others you would put in a top 5?
5. Fix the problem which keeps some mkv files from streaming (although they will play from a USB stick).
6. Use the same keys for FF/RW independently of the media source.
post #1180 of 1610
Hello,

I'm not able to stream any video files (mkv/avi/mp4) from my Dlink dns 320 NAS. I've turned on UPNP in the Dns-320 and the samsung sees the folders and files but when i click to play i get a not supported message.

The funny thing is all the same files play perfectly when i access them through the samsung PC share manager. Does the pc share manager transcode these files? I thought the C5500 was able to play MKV natively?

Thanks for any advice.
post #1181 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Hello,

I'm not able to stream any video files (mkv/avi/mp4) from my Dlink dns 320 NAS. I've turned on UPNP in the Dns-320 and the samsung sees the folders and files but when i click to play i get a not supported message.

The funny thing is all the same files play perfectly when i access them through the samsung PC share manager. Does the pc share manager transcode these files? I thought the C5500 was able to play MKV natively?

Thanks for any advice.

I have had issues when streaming MKV files. If I copy the file to a USB thumb drive and insert that in the C5500, it plays flawlessly.
post #1182 of 1610
Has anyone else tried the BBC News app that Samsung added recently? It looks like it's supposed to play short video news clips in about a dozen categories, but actually it freezes during startup, before it ever gets around to playing a video (at least on the C5500). Samsung really needs to hire someone to test these apps before publishing them if they are ever going to get anywhere with their own app service...
post #1183 of 1610
Hi, the remote control codes from other site(s) do not work for Region 1 players. Has anyone firgured out to hack region 1 players? Is there a firmware?
Thanks in advance any info provided.
post #1184 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Has anyone checked to see if Hulu is available for download on Internet@TV on the C5500?

I just downloaded Hulu Plus on my C5500, in case anyone is still looking for it.
post #1185 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbender View Post

I just downloaded Hulu Plus on my C5500, in case anyone is still looking for it.

But does it work? ....

Samsung apps seem to have about a 50% success rate.
post #1186 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Has anyone else tried the BBC News app that Samsung added recently? It looks like it's supposed to play short video news clips in about a dozen categories, but actually it freezes during startup, before it ever gets around to playing a video (at least on the C5500). Samsung really needs to hire someone to test these apps before publishing them if they are ever going to get anywhere with their own app service...

I downloaded it a couple of days ago and it didn't work - hung up trying to play videos. Had to power it off to recover.
However, today it worked reasonably well. lots of stuttering though. could be my connection. Found that if I hit pause for a short time at the beginning of a video, it would buffer ahead and play better.
post #1187 of 1610
On mine the BBC News app appears with the current headline story, and for the first 15 seconds or so the red circle rotates and stops erratically as if it were trying to load video. The front display on the C5500 alternates between the words Play and Stop. During the first few seconds it will respond slowly to commands - I can pause or even use the cursor keys to reach the category menu. If I reach the menu I can even move back and forth within it. But if I just let it run, or if I select anything after reaching the menu, it freezes completely after a few seconds with a blank front display. It needs a power-off to recover. However, even while frozen the front display flashes the word Play once every 30 seconds as if the software is re-trying something internally.

Update: Looks like the unit has to be updated to the 1021.4 firmware to run the BBC News app. I guess the developers were too lazy to put in a version check and warning.
post #1188 of 1610
hi team

I've had a BD-C5500 since about october 2010. came free with my purchase of a Samsung LCD, by redemption. it seems pretty competent.

thought I'd share with ya'll (and in response to an earlier post on this page about multi-region hacks), that I've successfully 'hacked' my region 4 player. according to the page I sourced the info from, you should be able to execute the same approach, noting the different code, for a region 1 player.

just take a look through the thread here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sa...bd-c5500/10794
.... and reading through the lists, for a region 1 player the code appears to be 2 9 3 3 4 ...and then enter a '9', of course.

I found it very easy, and executed the short version of the instructions for my Region 4 player.

using the remote:
1. power up
2. confirm no disk present
3. highlight 'video'
4. hit 'repeat'
5. enter '7 6 8 8 4' - then a black box with a 4 inside appeared very short time in the upper left screen and dissapeared. ** - different codes here depending on your originating region
6. After the box disappeared - perhaps 3 seconds later - press '9' - the black box should appear again with the 9 inside it.
7. press REPEAT
8. power off with the RC.
9. Power on again, and check with an out-of-region disc. I used a region 1, a region 2, and then a region 4 - all okay. Also tested with a Zone B blu-ray.

I am a happy camper!

hope that helps!

best regards from downunder...
post #1189 of 1610
I just bought the Oceans 11,12,13 trilogy on blu ray for £18 in London, England. I live, and bought my blu ray player (Samsung BDC5500T) in Canada. The blu ray movie I bought (from HMV) has no symbols on it showing which regions its from. Is it safe to assume its region free?

Is there anyway to make my blu ray player region free (to play not just dvds, but blu rays from another region).

Or can I make my blu ray movie region free somehow? Maybe using my PC?
Or if I play it on my pc will it be region locked?

Thanks, I appreciate your help, as If this doesnt work, hopefully I can return it.
post #1190 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwest View Post

Hello all,

Can someone please explain why I can't pause, fast forward, or rewind my MP4 files? I can only watch from the beginning. I am a little technologically challenged so please respond in very simple terms I use Vuse to download & convert my AVI files to MP4 to play on the blu ray. Is there any way to fix this? Help!

I have similar problem - all of my recoded BluRay and MOST of my DVD files play without a hitch. All of the pause and limited fast forward/rewind functionality is available.

HOWEVER, some older DVD files do not allow pausing, and I have found NO WAY to convert to an MKV from these that the BDC5500 will accept. So I'm puzzled. It appears to be related to the older ITU standards but I'm not sure...

As far as your problem is concerned, have you tried using an MKV container for your files?

Kurt
post #1191 of 1610
I emailed Amazon tech support about their 1080p streaming capable devices. They replied that this player and the Roku 2 were the only devices capable of 1080p Amazon streams. Is it true this player receives 1080p Amazon Instant Video/VOD?
post #1192 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
I emailed Amazon tech support about their 1080p streaming capable devices. They replied that this player and the Roku 2 were the only devices capable of 1080p Amazon streams. Is it true this player receives 1080p Amazon Instant Video/VOD?
Maybe it's coming soon, but my BD-C5500 has not received an application for Amazon yet.
post #1193 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post
Maybe it's coming soon, but my BD-C5500 has not received an application for Amazon yet.
Well, that is too bad. Thanks for the info!
post #1194 of 1610
I think if you dig through the page a year or so back here you'll find that Samsung said something about the Amazon app which has to come from Amazon. The answer has always been "RSN" or "Real Soon Now." I would have thought since this player and it's brethren have been big sellers Amazon would have been more interested in putting it on the player. OTOH, maybe they are concerned about Samsung screwing it up as they did the Netflix app last year.
post #1195 of 1610
I don't understand why all these streaming providers need to have different quality of service among different devices. It is really annoying. I suppose that is probably to blame the hardware manufacturers on, so they can have a new device for next year and boast the added quality as a new feature. Drives me nuts. Its sad how hard it is (impossible as of today?) to get a device with Vudu, Amazon and Netflix all with 1080p/5.1.

Maybe ill find that next year. Then the following year we'll get 24fps from Amazon/Netflix as new hardware.

I hate this game...

(its even more interesting that Amazon told me this App was already available on this player in its 1080p glory.)
post #1196 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

... Its sad how hard it is (impossible as of today?) to get a device with Vudu, Amazon and Netflix all with 1080p/5.1.

Maybe ill find that next year. Then the following year we'll get 24fps from Amazon/Netflix as new hardware.

I hate this game...

(its even more interesting that Amazon told me this App was already available on this player in its 1080p glory.)

Agreed, and I also want a device that can stream media, too, esp. 1080p24, let me turn on Cinema Smooth, and work with avi and mkv file formats. Various devices can do bits and pieces of all those attributes, but I don't know of any that can do all.
post #1197 of 1610
Question: If you restore the BD-C5500 to factory defaults with press-and-hold-Stop-5sec factory reset, does it restore the original factory firmware or keep the current firmware version? Has anyone actually verified this?
post #1198 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Question: If you restore the BD-C5500 to factory defaults with press-and-hold-Stop-5sec factory reset, does it restore the original factory firmware or keep the current firmware version? Has anyone actually verified this?

IIRC, firmware remained the same when I did a reset several months ago. Internet@TV Apps will need to get updated and other settings.
post #1199 of 1610
So that probably means that you can't downgrade the firmware, even if you have a copy of the older firmware?
post #1200 of 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

So that probably means that you can't downgrade the firmware, even if you have a copy of the older firmware?

Hmm, maybe off a CD or flash drive. Good question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread