or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule - Page 5

post #121 of 1052
One of these day you will have something to report and I'll be glad.
post #122 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

One of these day you will have something to report and I'll be glad.

I look forward to that day. I suspect that by the end of Q3, we willl begin to see some regular announcements.

But until then, there are going to be a lot of nothing new Sunday Night reports
post #123 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Saturday Night Report:

1. Panasonic has announced Ice Age 3 and Coraline (both 3D BDs) will be available as a coupon send in for buyers of VT25 3DTVs (limited time).

2. It was just announced (unofficially) that Avatar 3D BD will also be a promotional product from Panasonic in November

3. it was just announced (unofficially) that Alice In Wonderland 3D BD too will be used as a promotional product from Sony for buyers of their 3DTVs in Nov.

4. No new 3D BDs announced as being offerred to the general public.
post #124 of 1052
A CHRISTMAS CAROL 3D blu November 16th; retail release.
post #125 of 1052
to be delayed! LOL
post #126 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Disney's A Christmas Carol Blu-ray 3D box art -- and $50 srp -- revealed

Quote:


Disney announced its first Blu-ray 3D disc Disney's A Christmas Carol would arrive in the fourth quarter during CES, but now TheHDRoom has box art for what will be a 4-disc combo pack including a 3D edition, 2D Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy. "Scrooge's Wild Ride" is exclusive to the 3D version, but both will have a 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack. The only bad news is a $49.99 srp for the pack, so we hope you really, really liked Jim Carrey's take on Scrooge -- the 2D Blu-ray version has a $39.99 srp

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/05/23/di...rt-and-50-srp/
post #127 of 1052
Note that the cover art does not have the new Blu-ray 3d logo so the content may only be Analgraph 3D contennt on a BR disk.
post #128 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Note that the cover art does not have the new Blu-ray 3d logo so the content may only be Analgraph 3D contennt on a BR disk.

It's not. Disney already announced they would release this movie on BD 3D format at CES. I don't know why they don't have the logo but it is definitely in the BD 3D format.
post #129 of 1052
What I don't understand is why they're including a 2D Blu-ray in the 4-disc set. The 3D Blu-ray is still backwards compatible with a 2D player. I guess they needed the room on a single disc for the 3D version of the film and any lossless audio track. I didn't bother with the film in its theatrical run, but it would be nice to have some more 3D content. So it will be a blind buy for me.
post #130 of 1052
I understand the anouncement to say that includes 2D DVDs and not 2D BR disks.
post #131 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I understand the anouncement to say that includes 2D DVDs and not 2D BR disks.

I understood it as 2D BR disc.
post #132 of 1052
All of the new 3D BR disks can play 2D content since they are encoded with MVC 2D plus delta format therfore any 2D BR disk player program can play them. Howevr a DVD player cannot'

will be a 4-disc combo pack including a 3D edition, 2D Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy
post #133 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I hope so I guess they will have 3D+2D+DVD+digital Copy. I guess they will charge more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

What would be the reason to include a 2D BD version of a 3D BD movie? Not necessary - already on the 3D BD with the AVC-MVC codec.

Oh look at that looks like I was right
post #134 of 1052
I understood it was a 3D BD :P
post #135 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Oh look at that looks like I was right

For what looks like the very first release of a consumer 3D BD - meaning anyone can buy it - you definitely are.
post #136 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

All of the new 3D BR disks can play 2D content since they are encoded with MVC 2D plus delta format therfore any 2D BR disk player program can play them.

The BDA told me that it is possible to author a 3D Blu-ray Disc that won't play in 2D. The explanation given was that dropping one eye doesn't always produce the same 2D image that would be presented on the 2D version of the movie, so studios have the choice.

As for Disney, I believe the 4 discs are DVD of the Digital copy, DVD of the main feature, 2D Blu-ray Disc and 3D Blu-ray Disc. And I suspect Disney went with 2 Blu-ray feature discs to ensure that every customer would be able to watch the movie in 2D. After all this is a new format and backwards compatibility with Discs isn't exactly a strong point of the BDA. Including both discs in the bundle ensures everyone can play the movie.
post #137 of 1052
The 3D BR standard requires that they be able to be played in 2D, which is easy to do since the MVC 2D+Delta encoding containss the full 2D content for one eye. The fact that each eye's separate content may be a inch or so to one side or the other of where a single lens camera might have been placed is to me not relevent.
post #138 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Has anyone taken any of the 3D BD's (or is it just MvA?) and stuck it in a legacy BD player and tried to play the 2D version?
post #139 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Has anyone taken any of the 3D BD's (or is it just MvA?) and stuck it in a legacy BD player and tried to play the 2D version?

Yes, I tried the "Monsters vs. Aliens" 3D BD in an Oppo BDP83 and Sony BDP-S300. It worked without a hitch, menu and movie and all; perfect 2D presentation.
post #140 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Has anyone taken any of the 3D BD's (or is it just MvA?) and stuck it in a legacy BD player and tried to play the 2D version?

I asked a Magnolia rep to do that so I could check out the 2D to 3D conversion on a Samsung display that wasn't connected to a 3D player. He put the 3D MvsA disc into a regular Blu-ray player. It had no trouble playing the 2D stream.

Funny thing,though - he didn't know anything about it before I asked. He didn't think it would work.
post #141 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The 3D BR standard requires that they be able to be played in 2D

Although I respect you, that doesn't mean I'll just take your word for it. Do you mind citing your sources?

The way it was explained to me was that if an image appears to be very far off the screen then just presenting the left image in 2D will make that element of the image much closer to the left side of the screen then the content creator intended. So the studio can instead choose to only have that movie play back in 3D and instead choose to package a 2D version of the disc with the elements centered as intended.
post #142 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Although I respect you, that doesn't mean I'll just take your word for it. Do you mind citing your sources?

The way it was explained to me was that if an image appears to be very far off the screen then just presenting the left image in 2D will make that element of the image much closer to the left side of the screen then the content creator intended. So the studio can instead choose to only have that movie play back in 3D and instead choose to package a 2D version of the disc with the elements centered as intended.

LOL - from your own website:

Quote:
"From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home," said Benn Carr, chairman, BDA 3D Task Force. "The disc capacity and bit rates Blu-ray Disc provides enable us to deliver 3D in Full HD 1080p high definition resolution." The Blu-ray 3D specification is also designed to allow PS3 game consoles to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3D. Additionally, the specification supports playback of 2D discs in forthcoming 3D players and can enable 2D playback of Blu-ray 3D discs on the large installed base of Blu-ray Disc players currently in homes around the world.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/
post #143 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Although I respect you, that doesn't mean I'll just take your word for it. Do you mind citing your sources?

See:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/
post #144 of 1052
It is also worth pointing out that what bdraw said about "centering objects" makes no sense. A 2D presentation of a movie (be it in theater or anywhere else) is simply the left of right camera image for the entire film. They don't film movies in Left, Center, Right camera arrangements....
post #145 of 1052
I read a piece by one of the editors or cinematographers from Alice. He indicated that the 3D and 2D versions were slightly different. They believed that some of the framing/composition for 3D did not work well in 2D, so they edited around the issues with different versions. So, it's very conceivable that different 2D and 3D versions of any film could be released. I have no information as to whether software can prevent a 2D stream from being extracted from a 3D disc, but it seems like something Blu-ray would include. I hate Blu-ray's maddening user restrictions: can't chapter skip here, can't fast forward there, can't fight your way out of an copyright warning with a machete.
post #146 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I read a piece by one of the editors or cinematographers from Alice. He indicated that the 3D and 2D versions were slightly different. They believed that some of the framing/composition for 3D did not work well in 2D, so they edited around the issues with different versions. So, it's very conceivable that different 2D and 3D versions of any film could be released. I have no information as to whether software can prevent a 2D stream from being extracted from a 3D disc, but it seems like something Blu-ray would include. I hate Blu-ray's maddening user restrictions: can't chapter skip here, can't fast forward there, can't fight your way out of an copyright warning with a machete.

Even if a "3D edit" can only be reproduced in 3D, there would still be a need to accommodate a 'mixed' audience--some viewers watching in 3D, some in 2D (i.e., shutter glasses with both lenses set to "left eye"). And of course anyone can watch a 3D movie with 'regular' shutter glasses, plus a patch over one eye! [And I'm not just talking about 'Pirate' movies here either! ]
post #147 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

It is also worth pointing out that what bdraw said about "centering objects" makes no sense. A 2D presentation of a movie (be it in theater or anywhere else) is simply the left of right camera image for the entire film. They don't film movies in Left, Center, Right camera arrangements....

Lets say blue is the left image, red is the right image from the camera. A 2D presentation would/should be in the middle, centered. At least thats what I think he's saying.


I dont know exactly what they do in the conversion process(either from 2D to 3D, or 3D to 2D) and which frame they use and what composition so I dunno.

As for a studio only allowing 3D movies to play in 3D. They probably could, Im sure you can do alot with java.
post #148 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Here is a static image of an S3D frame sequential shot. You see much difference between the two images as far as positioning?

post #149 of 1052
You dont need a picture to show that. Just close one of your eyes, switching back and forth, and then ask yourself the same question. Its all opinion I guess.
post #150 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Here is a static image of an S3D frame sequential shot. You see much difference between the two images as far as positioning?


That's an interesting question. From that picture it doesn't look like much but from most of the S3D content I have watched in my theater there can be a tremendous amount. Some areas of the screen will have very little and other areas will have alot. It easily can be as much as in the colored image above but also can be almost none.

I wonder how they deal with that?? I guess if there is only one image on the screen you would never notice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule