or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule - Page 6

post #151 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

That's an interesting question. From that picture it doesn't look like much but from most of the S3D content I have watched in my theater there can be a tremendous amount. Some areas of the screen will have very little and other areas will have alot. It easily can be as much as in the colored image above but also can be almost none.

I wonder how they deal with that?? I guess if there is only one image on the screen you would never notice.

Are you making that comparison wearing 3D glasses? If you are - then you have to take them off to see the real positioning of the two images on your diaplay.

AFAIK - they use the left set of images. That is all images recorded. The right set, based on MVC has about 50% less data which means to me - 50% less images because of redundancy which is how MVC can create two seperate images with only about 50% more data instead of 100%.
post #152 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Are you making that comparison wearing 3D glasses? If you are - then you have to take them off to see the real positioning of the two images on your diaplay.

AFAIK - they use the left set of images. That is all images recorded. The right set, based on MVC has about 50% less data which means to me - 50% less images because of redundancy which is how MVC can create two seperate images with only about 50% more data instead of 100%.

No with the glasses off. If they are on all i see is the one 3D image. But if they are off certain items appear to have a small amount of serperation but the item made to really appear to come out at you have alot of seperation.
post #153 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

No with the glasses off. If they are on all i see is the one 3D image. But if they are off certain items appear to have a small amount of serperation but the item made to really appear to come out at you have alot of seperation.

Which means one image is "centered" on the display while the other is very seperated in positioning - which would mean, that image is part of the 3D stream and not the 2D stream

LOL - here is a test for you. . .

1. Block the left eye of your glasses and watch a sequence - what do you see?

2. Block the right eye of your glasses - how does what you see differ than what you saw in #1?
post #154 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Which means one image is "centered" on the display while the other is very seperated in positioning - which would mean, that image is part of the 3D stream and not the 2D stream

LOL - here is a test for you. . .

1. Block the left eye of your glasses and watch a sequence - what do you see?

2. Block the right eye of your glasses - how does what you see differ than what you saw in #1?

I see what your saying. Its just hard to visualize it that way. It looks like one image is to the left of center and one image is to the right of center.

But your saying one image is centered and the other image is off of center?

Without an item dead center of the screen it would be hard to tell but i see what your saying. But with two items side by side it would be hard to say what is part of the 2D stream. They look equal just side by side.
post #155 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I see what your saying. Its just hard to visualize it that way. It looks like one image is to the left of center and one image is to the right of center.

But your saying one image is centered and the other image is off of center?

Without an item dead center of the screen it would be hard to tell but i see what your saying. But with two items side by side it would be hard to say what is part of the 2D stream. They look equal just side by side.

They really aren't equal SbS because of the camera lenses being 65mm apart. But we may not see that looking at two images SbS on a HDTV. It is when they are uncompressed and shown sequentially on a 3DTV, that one is easily seen as off position - as it should be with 3D. If both images were converged - there would be no 3D.
post #156 of 1052


post #157 of 1052
So what is off position in this image? I dont see how you would tell?
post #158 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

So what is off position in this image? I dont see how you would tell?

IMO - the top image is off position. Notice it is positioned to the right of the under image.

As far as I understand the use of 3D as it pertains to shooting 3D with twin cameras, to get 3D at all - you need a minimum of say 65mm - the distance are eyes are apart. For "pop out" scenes - it may be much greater. Can they make the background do the opposite? If they can, then the bottom image would be far apart from the top image - the reverse of the pop out layout.
post #159 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

IMO - the top image is off position. Notice it is positioned to the right of the under image.

As far as I understand the use of 3D as it pertains to shooting 3D with twin cameras, to get 3D at all - you need a minimum of say 65mm - the distance are eyes are apart. For "pop out" scenes - it may be much greater. Can they make the background do the opposite? If they can, then the bottom image would be far apart from the top image - the reverse of the pop out layout.

I have been looking at the 3D fuji camera to possibly buy it. It has two lenses on opposite sides of the camera. So I dont see how one image can be centered and the other image is offset. Seem to me both are equaly offset of center.
post #160 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I have been looking at the 3D fuji camera to possibly buy it. It has two lenses on opposite sides of the camera. So I dont see how one image can be centered and the other image is offset. Seem to me both are equaly offset of center.

No image is centered. That is indicative of Monocular vision and not Binocular vision which 3D is based on. But one has to be the foundation for the 2D view while the other moves around in positioning for the 3D added view.
post #161 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Interesting article about 3D BD:

Quote:
"Avatar" will be coming to Blu-ray in 3D this November after all, but it won't be available for purchase or rental in stores or online alongside the previously announced Fox Ultimate Edition 2D version.

The top-grossing movie in the history of cinema, in large part because of the groundbreaking use of 3D, will only be offered in 3D on Blu-ray for the first several months with the purchase of Panasonic 3D Blu-ray equipment, multiple sources have told 3DHollywood.net.

3DHollywood.net has also learned that Disney is close to finalizing a deal with Sony Electronics to release "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D on Blu-ray this fall exclusively with the purchase of Sony 3D hardware.

None of the sources, some very close to the filmmakers and others close to the companies involved in the release strategy, would officially confirm the news or talk on the record. Fox, Disney, Panasonic, and Sony Electronics either did not return calls or had no comment about this story.

The number and caliber of major titles being bundled for exclusive release with hardware products is highly unusual, if not unprecedented in home video, particularly with almost no titles being released for general consumption at retail. And studios are being paid ever-increasing fees — in the millions of dollars for each title — by hungry electronics companies that have put themselves into bidding wars.

Even though many major electronics companies except Sony have had 3D TVs and 3D Blu-ray players on the market for some months, until this week only one 3D Blu-ray title was available to consumers, and that movie — DreamWorks' "Monsters vs. Aliens" — was also only available with the purchase of Samsung 3D TVs and 3D Blu-ray players. That Samsung window expired Sunday with no word of a general retail release upcoming for "Monsters."

This week Fox and Panasonic, as well as Universal, announced the immediate availability of the first 3D Blu-ray versions of "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" and "Coraline" only with the purchase of a Panasonic Blu-ray player. There are no announced plans for either of those titles to be available to traditional retail in 2010.

Sony's previously announced that "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" will be the first 3D Blu-ray title to be released through traditional retail channels — it's expected in late June or early July. But even that title's distribution will be focused on bundled sales with Sony 3D HDTVs which are due to hit the market early next month in time for the 3D TV broadcasts of the World Cup soccer matches, sponsored by Sony.

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is bringing the first retail Blu-ray 3D sku to market early this summer with 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,' " said Lexine Wong, senior executive VP worldwide marketing. "While the title will be primarily bundled with Sony 3D HDTVs, we feel it is also necessary to offer a standalone retail 3D version of "Cloudy" for our retailers and consumers who are excited about acquiring more 3D content for their 3D TVs."

SPHE is also releasing a 3D Blu-ray of World Cuphighlights later this year, and will likely release 3D titles such as "Monster House" and and "Open Season" on 3D Blu-ray, though it's not known if they will be available at retail.

Disney announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in January that it would release "Disney's A Christmas Carol" "broadly" on 3D Blu-ray in the fourth quarter. That is expected to mean a general retail release — now set for November 16 — since it is the only title of all the others not to have already been released on Blu-ray Disc in 2D. In fact, the only way to get the 3D version will be to buy all other versions – 2D Blu-ray and DVD discs and a digital copy for computers and other devices — in a four-disc combo pack priced at $49.99 ($10 more than the single-disc 2D Blu-ray version). The 3D disc will also include a special 3D bonus feature called "Scrooge's Wild Ride," according to HDroom.com.

Other Disney 3D movies such as "Bolt" are being considered for 3D Blu-ray in the not-too-distant future.

Disney is also finalizing a special 3D Showcase Blu-ray disc that may be packaged with hardware from multiple manufacturers. The Showcase disc will include a sampler of trailers and shorts such as an original 3D short featuring Lion King characters Timon and Pumbaa produced expressly for this Showcase disc. It will also include the 1953 3D Disney animated short "Working for Peanuts" and promotional trailers of upcoming 3D Blu-ray releases such as "Alice" and "Christmas Carol" as well as "Toy Story 3and "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

Consumer electronics companies, particularly Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic, are said to be escalating rights fees they are willing to pay for major movies to help sell new 3D products. Of course, that's just fine with studios since the fees are more than they figure to generate from a traditional retail release when the current market for home 3D is nearly non-existent at this moment and not expected to grow substantially this year.

And most seem to feel that all the bundling at this point is a good thing for the nascent industry if such enticements seed the market with homes that become equipped to watch 3D.

Ironically, the only people who may be negatively affected could be the very people who respond to these offers. For instance, a consumer who bought Samsung's 3DTV and 3D Blu-ray player would theoretically be forced to go out and buy another 3D TV and Blu-ray machine every time he wants to watch another 3D Blu-ray movie like "Avatar" or "Ice Age 3." But consumer electronics companies are expected to work out a way for consumers who have already purchased 3D equipment to get access to further releases, at least from the same company.

Also, it's not clear whether the 3D Blu-ray version of "Avatar" will include all the bonus features available on the special 2D "Ultimate Edition" being released simultaneously, which would give consumers yet another tough decision to make, especially after many of them already purchased the first bare-bones 2D Blu-ray version of "Avatar" last month.

Release strategies are always a challenge with a new format. Most filmmakers and sometimes even studio executives don't want to release their titles to a market of only a few hundred thousand homes, or even a few million. Steven Spielberg and Universal withheld the release of any of his major hits on DVD for several years until that format achieved mass market status, although the filmmaker did agree to release the Sony-controlled "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in the very early stages of the launch of Blu-ray Disc several years ago when Sony needed help in fending off competing format HD DVD. But Spielberg and George Lucas still have not released many of their biggest movies on Blu-ray Disc as yet, most notably "Jaws," "Jurassic Park," and "Star Wars."

The June 18 theatrical release "Toy Story 3," seemingly a natural for a 4th quarter release on Blu-ray, may not be a candidate to have a 3D component this holiday season. Even though Disney has been one of the strongest proponents of 3D theatrically and intends to carry that aggressive strategy into the home market, sources say that none of sister company Pixar's 3D movies or shorts are on the schedule for a 3D Blu-ray release as yet, including the little-seen 3D version of "Tokyo Mater" — one of several "CarsToon" computer-animated "Mater's Tall Tales" that got some of the most enthusiastic reactions as part of a 3D Blu-ray demo at Disney's D23 Expo last September.
post #162 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I have been looking at the 3D fuji camera to possibly buy it. It has two lenses on opposite sides of the camera. So I dont see how one image can be centered and the other image is offset. Seem to me both are equaly offset of center.

That would be totally dependent on if you point one lens directly at the content or if you point the camera midway between the left and right side of the content.
Advatar has been released in both 3D for the theatres in both 3D and 2D format on on BR and DVD in 2D format and will be released one of these years in 3D BR format. No one has ccomplained about the 2D version haveing content too far to the left or to the right and I don't believe that independent 3D and 2D "filmings" were created.
post #163 of 1052
I know what the BD press release said and I know that Engadget posted that information. But then at CES Andy Parsons told me otherwise.

I agree that in a 3D camera rig with the two camera right next to each other -- like Avatar used or that sports are captured with -- that taking just the left image for the 2D presentation would look perfectly normal, but there are other ways to produce 3D.

For example when they re-rendered Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D they had to determine the distance to position the second (virtual) camera in order to achieve the intended depth of that frame.

Quote:


The distance Mr. Whitehill would position the second camera from the first would determine the degree of 3-D and which of three types: “in front of screen” (when an object seems to be in the theater with the audience), “at screen” (when the image looks 2-D) and “behind screen” (when the screen seems to be a window with objects in the distance).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/mo...ref=technology

Now obviously if the two cameras are next to each other the left image alone would work great for the 2D presentation, but if they were very far apart simply dropping the one perspective wouldn't.
post #164 of 1052
Hi everyone.

This is a question regarding the Alice in Wonderland 3D (I think its this movie) that is supposed to come with a panasonic purchase in November.

Would I still be eligible for this movie, even though I am purchasing a panasonic tv in June. I know I would be getting Ice age and, I forgot the other one. But in November, would I still be able to get the one in November.
post #165 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

Hi everyone.

This is a question regarding the Alice in Wonderland 3D (I think its this movie) that is supposed to come with a panasonic purchase in November.

Would I still be eligible for this movie, even though I am purchasing a panasonic tv in June. I know I would be getting Ice age and, I forgot the other one. But in November, would I still be able to get the one in November.

Short answer no.
Avatar will be bundled in November not Alice. Alice will be a different manufacturer and no you will not be eligible for Avatar either.
post #166 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

(snip)...Now obviously if the two cameras are next to each other the left image alone would work great for the 2D presentation, but if they were very far apart simply dropping the one perspective wouldn't.

The cameras are typically 65mm apart which is just over 2-1/2 inches!

How far apart is "very" far apart? Three or four inches? Four inches apart means two inches off center axis.

Come on people, is even two inches off center axis enough to be noticed in a 2D version?
post #167 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Come on people, is even two inches off center axis enough to be noticed in a 2D version?

Yes, at least potentially so, as this is principally an issue with parallax. For example: In a 3D movie, the 'bad guy', holds a gun barrel 1" from the RIGHT eye of the POV 'victim'. In a one-eyed 2D viewing of the 3D BD, a LEFT eye only 2D version of the movie will not capture the director's "in your face" sensation from the shot. So for 2D/3D compatibility, the director would choose to have the gun pointed at the victim's left eye!
post #168 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Yes, at least potentially so, as this is principally an issue with parallax. For example: In a 3D movie, the 'bad guy', holds a gun barrel 1" from the RIGHT eye of the POV 'victim'. In a one-eyed 2D viewing of the 3D BD, a LEFT eye only 2D version of the movie will not capture the director's "in your face" sensation from the shot. So for 2D/3D compatibility, the director would choose to have the gun pointed at the victim's left eye!

The question was about converting 2D to 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

(snip)...they had to determine the distance to position the second (virtual) camera in order to achieve the intended depth of that frame...(snip)

The key phrase here is the position of the "second" (virtual) camera. In your 2D scenario, the gun would already be pointing at the actual, or "first" camera, which is the left eye in the 3D conversion.

Even if I were to agree with you, I believe it would still be obviously "in your face". I would feel that way no matter where "in my face" a gun was pointed. For example, if it was one inch from my right cheek, I would still fill my pants the same amount as if it was one inch from my left eye.
post #169 of 1052
Thread Starter 
There are two ways to position the two cameras when shooting 3D:

1. Side by Side

2. The "L" configuration - one camera is in the normal position while the other is above it pointing straight down and uses a mirror to capture it's images.
post #170 of 1052
Does this 'camera placement' discussion have something to do with a 2D BD and 3D BD of the same movie? Even though the 3D version will play just fine in a 2D setup?

I have a cousin who works in the Bristol, CT headquarters of ESPN. He's a producer there. He tells me that they are, and have been, experimenting with camera placements for their upcoming 3D sports broadcasts.

Without boring you all with the details, the bottom line is that, at least for sports, having the same camera placement/angle for 2D and 3D is not optimum. 3D needs to be closer, and lower (at least that is what they are trying now.) It's sort of like when HD first came out and they produced two entirely different shows for the one event. Now they just crop it down for the SD viewers. Something like that, he says, won't be the best thing for 2D/3D broadcasts of sports.

Perhaps the directors of some of these movies are wanting the same thing? Different camera angles for 2D vs 3D?

Just speculating.......
post #171 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Does this 'camera placement' discussion have something to do with a 2D BD and 3D BD of the same movie? Even though the 3D version will play just fine in a 2D setup?

I have a cousin who works in the Bristol, CT headquarters of ESPN. He's a producer there. He tells me that they are, and have been, experimenting with camera placements for their upcoming 3D sports broadcasts.

Without boring you all with the details, the bottom line is that, at least for sports, having the same camera placement/angle for 2D and 3D is not optimum. 3D needs to be closer, and lower (at least that is what they are trying now.) It's sort of like when HD first came out and they produced two entirely different shows for the one event. Now they just crop it down for the SD viewers. Something like that, he says, won't be the best thing for 2D/3D broadcasts of sports.

Perhaps the directors of some of these movies are wanting the same thing? Different camera angles for 2D vs 3D?

Just speculating.......

We were discussing 2D vs 3D image perspective in relation to the position of the camera's dual lenses to each other.

What you mention is another concern. The actual position of the 3D camera, compared to a 2D production is very important in sports (and probably movies as well).
post #172 of 1052
The lack of content is really annoying to me too. I'm ready to dive headfirst into this 3D revolution the content providers are making it really hard for me too enjoy it. Luckily I'm a gamer so my PC is all ready for 3D gaming and my PS3 is just waiting for more games. But I want to watch AVATAR and a few others right now! If the companies were serious about this, they would be pushing hard for more content.
post #173 of 1052
Actually I think it was Samsung and Panasonic who jumped the gun to both try to be first to launch 3D contents before the content was ready.
post #174 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Sony Details 3D Blu-ray Plans

Quote:


Sony Pictures Home Entertainment confirmed that it will be bringing the first Blu-ray 3D SKU to market "early this summer" with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D. The first day-and-date Blu-ray 3D release from the studio will be Resident Evil: Afterlife (which opens theatrically in the US in September).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4724

That's it? Two 3D BDs for 2010?
post #175 of 1052
Not confirmed, but we may see MONSTER HOUSE and OPEN SEASON this year from Sony also.
post #176 of 1052
When dose the MvA deal end with Samsung? Shouldn't that be available when for purchase when that is over, maybe?
post #177 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

When dose the MvA deal end with Samsung? Shouldn't that be available when for purchase when that is over, maybe?

Who knows, the studios are hardly providing any information on titles or release dates in general. And on the exclusive bundles the manufacturers probably don't want consumers to really know when those deals end.

Sony had their big 3D announcements today and they didn't even give a release date for Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. Its like a new secretive underground video format. Shhhhhhh......
post #178 of 1052
Resident Evil: Afterlife is going to be released in Blu-ray 3D day and date with the 2D version:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/08/so...etail-in-2010/
post #179 of 1052
Engadget is also saying June 22nd on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D AT SELECT RETAILERS for $39.95 SRP.
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/09/so...-sony-style-s/

Also, mentions that Open Season and Monster House are indeed coming this year.
post #180 of 1052
I found this on Amazon. National Geographic: Sea Monsters - A Prehistoric Adventure (In 3-D) [Blu-ray]

My question is, Im sure that this is not "real 3D", but question... How does one know if it is "real full 1080p hd without those funny looking red and blue paper glassses?

Is there a certain thing to look for on the blu ray case, blu ray back...? Will there be a mandatory thing blu ray has to put on the front of the case to show its the real 3D instead of the red and blue glasses?

Sorry guys if this was asked already, but could not find it in this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule