or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule - Page 2

post #31 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

While there are some conversions in the pipe, the majority of the upcoming 3-D movies are native stereo, even SAW 7!



The majority, where did you get this information?
post #32 of 1052
All the CGI "cartoons" are rendered in stereo, and this compromises much of the upcoming slate. Nativey shot projects such as the Kenny Chesney (sp?) concert, SAW VII, RESIDENT EVIL 4, DRIVE ANGRY, STEP UP 3-D, etc are also in various stages of production. SCAR still hasn't been released in the US either.

As for conversions; we know PRIEST and CABIN IN THE WOODS are happening, along with HARRY POTTER and PIRANHA (but that one was intended from inception to be a conversion). It could change, but at this moment most of the 3-D movies in the pipe are not conversions.

We've already seen the release of natively shot movies like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, a few major concert films, an X GAMES movie, THE FINAL DESTINATION, AVATAR, even CALL OF THE WILD released since the digital rollout began. THE SHOCK LABYRINTH was released in Japan, and there have even been a couple of 3-D movies shot by the Asylum for disc release in the US (one awful, one OK.) There has been more real 3-D out there than fake 3-D...so far.
post #33 of 1052
Thread Starter 
The Sunday Night Report on; "the state of 3D BD" . . .

1. No new titles have been announced

2. Still no title(s) for sale

3. Samsung 3D BD player owners manual available for DNLD

4. Amazon is selling the Samsung 3D BD player
post #34 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

All the CGI "cartoons" are rendered in stereo, and this compromises much of the upcoming slate. Nativey shot projects such as the Kenny Chesney (sp?) concert, SAW VII, RESIDENT EVIL 4, DRIVE ANGRY, STEP UP 3-D, etc are also in various stages of production. SCAR still hasn't been released in the US either.

Nothing that really pins your ears back.
post #35 of 1052
My guess is that the Indrustry is waiting for the Sports networks to
introduce 3D to the general public.

ESPN and Direct TV will begin limited 3D broadcasting ~June/2010.

Verus(sp)/Sony/IBM say they will be broadcasting 2 hrs/day of 3D content for this year's Masters Golf tournament.
Are they planning to broadcast additional 3D content this year?

If 3D sports catches on, we are likely to see a flood of 3D software released.

Meanwhile we all wait.....
post #36 of 1052
Thread Starter 
UPDATE:

I have added CORALINE to the list. I missed it in my origial research

Quote:
Mary Daily of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment said that the company's first 3D Blu-ray title would be Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, out in April. (A flier in the store said that purchasers of the 3D TV and Blu-ray player bundle would get both that disk and Coraline by mail.)

http://blogs.pcmag.com/miller/2010/0...first_full.php

I have searched and found nothing about any further info on CORALINE. It is a Universal release and I would think there would be some kind of presser from Universal as this would be their first 3D BD.

I wonder if it is just the BD version in Anaglyph 3D.

post #37 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

UPDATE:

I wonder if it is just the BD version in Anaglyph 3D.


thats what I think it is.

I saw Coraline in 3d three times at the theater, it looked fantastic, almost as good as Avatar (a different technique of filming, so really you can't compare the two). The anaglyph bluray is unwatchable, so Coraline along with Avatar are the two films keeping me from even looking at a 3dtv. When both are available on real Bluray 3d, I'll look into a new display.
post #38 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

thats what I think it is.

I saw Coraline in 3d three times at the theater, it looked fantastic, almost as good as Avatar (a different technique of filming, so really you can't compare the two). The anaglyph bluray is unwatchable, so Coraline along with Avatar are the two films keeping me from even looking at a 3dtv. When both are available on real Bluray 3d, I'll look into a new display.

Yeah man, Coraline is a very good 3D movie and I can't wait to get a 3D BD copy. I pre-ordered a Samsung plasma and have received the Samsung 3D BD player and the glasses bundle. Two boxes waiting to be opened when the TV arrives (whenever that is).
post #39 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

thats what I think it is.

If that is the case - that has got to be the duumbest idea I ever heard of.

People just spent $3000+ for a brand new 3DTV, 3D BD player and 3D glasses. 3DTV is being sold on "just like at the movies 3D!"

Cripes! I hope Ice Age 3 is either delivered first or opened first by those that get it. Can you imagine their reaction after spinning up the Anaglyph 3D version of CORALINE?

"Here we go honey! Got your glasses on?"

"Sure do! Can't wait to see Avatar-like 3D right in our own home."

"Here we go!"

"WTH? I paid $3000 to see this?"
post #40 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

...I have searched and found nothing about any further info on CORALINE. It is a Universal release and I would think there would be some kind of presser from Universal as this would be their first 3D BD.

I wonder if it is just the BD version in Anaglyph 3D...

If it were the existing anaglyph version, they could just bundle it with the hardware. There would be no reason to mail it out later.
post #41 of 1052
I think the studios are short sighted and want as much short term profit as possible. Only when when they've exhausted our wallets in the theater will they let us enjoy 3D movies at home. I even hear that Avatar will be re-released theatrically to get more money out of the theater chains. Meanwhile, the 3D ticket prices go up:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/25/tech...n_bin&hpt=Sbin

Perhaps the consumer electronics companies are out of sync with the studios, even more so due to the recent upswing in 3D movie popularity.
post #42 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

If it were the existing anaglyph version, they could just bundle it with the hardware. There would be no reason to mail it out later.

Here is a pretty comprehensive reporting of what was annonced at CES:

16. What 3D movies are coming out this year on home video? 3D TV channels? 3D games?

Quote:


Blu-ray movies announced this year in full-HD 3D include "Monsters vs. Aliens," "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," "Disney's A Christmas Carol," "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," and all three "Shrek" movies. More 3D movies are sure to be announced soon, among them the first non-animated titles. If you're curious about "Avatar," for example, latest word is that the 3D version won't come out in 2010.

In a USA Today interview, DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg said "Monsters vs. Aliens" (available in March, officially the first 3D Blu-ray to use the new technology) and "Shrek" (4th quarter of 2010) would be exclusive to Samsung for a year, which we assume means that they'll only be included in the starter kit. In the same article Samsung's Bookeun Yoon, president of the company's visual display business, predicted that 70 3D Blu-ray titles would be available by the end of the year.

http://news.cnet.com/3d-tv-faq/

And Coraline is definitely a Universal release:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327597/companycredits

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2415/coraline.html

And there is nothing whatsoever about Universal releasing any 3D BDs.

As far as them mailing it out and not getting it right on the spot? The retailer would have to provide a copy. This way Panasonic is providing it through some third party like they did during the format war - a coupon that has to be sent in ot maybe goes along with registering your products.
post #43 of 1052
Lee,
Do you have any conacts at Samsung? If so are they aware of all the really bad press the C7000 is getting and would they linke to comment on it and/or send teams to all of the stores to make sure that the demo units are at the latest rev level,set up correctly and are not in an environment that could cause ghosting?
post #44 of 1052
Yes, I'd like to think the Samsung sets are capable of reduced ghosting, with an upgrade of some kind or some tweaking of the viewing environment. I like the 7000 in just about every respect, except for the ghosting - at least as much as I can with just Monsters vs Aliens playing in it. I'd love to see the Panasonic demo disc playing on the Samsung. Right now, it's unlikely I'll be able to convince anyone to take a Panasonic player over to a Samsung display. I might just ask, though. The Best Buy guys are starting to know me around here. I can't resist going back, when I think of something else I want to check out on one of these sets.
post #45 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Lee,
Do you have any conacts at Samsung? If so are they aware of all the really bad press the C7000 is getting and would they linke to comment on it and/or send teams to all of the stores to make sure that the demo units are at the latest rev level,set up correctly and are not in an environment that could cause ghosting?

No - no contacts at Samsung. I am sure they are aware of what's what. It's a new product launch (format really) with multiple product lines (TV and disc player) and they have three different lines in their 3DTV series:

LED LCD
PDP
CCFL LCD

I think they are working on the "shotgun/throw enough stuff against the walls in hopes that some of it sticks" approach.

I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of their 3D PDPs. I believe (right or wrong) that some of the issues are associated with the different display techs - LCD versus PDP with LCD being hamstrung with it's lousy response times. While others are a product of bad or incorrect setups and bad environment.
post #46 of 1052
Thread Starter 
The Sunday Night Report on; "the state of 3D BD" . . .

1. No new titles have been announced

2. Still no title(s) for sale

3. Stil no manuals for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player

post #47 of 1052
Thread Starter 
The Sunday Night Report on; "the state of 3D BD" . . .

1. No new titles have been announced

2. Still no title(s) for sale

3. Stil no manuals for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player

post #48 of 1052
I sure wish they would bring out some of the old 50's SciFi that was made in 3D, movies like It Came From Outer Space and The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Boomer's like me who remember these would love to ba able to see them in 3D and we have the bucks to buy the toys....
post #49 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The Sunday Night Report on; "the state of 3D BD" . . .

1. No new titles have been announced

2. Still no title(s) for sale

3. Stil no manuals for Panasonic 3DTV or 3D BD player


Im sure there will be plenty of titles soon availble Lee.
post #50 of 1052
Yeah, the Samsung and Panasonic displays were really a soft launch. I still expect the full onslaught in June. By then there will be more 3D models available from both Pannasonic and Sammsung, at the same time Sony & LG will be in the mix. 3D channels will launch, and movies will hit the shelves.
post #51 of 1052
In my opinion 3d will move as fast as sports will take it and just bundling 3D movies with 3d hdtvs is kind of dumb just put them all on the market and let the best 3d hdtv win.
post #52 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Yeah, the Samsung and Panasonic displays were really a soft launch. I still expect the full onslaught in June. By then there will be more 3D models available from both Pannasonic and Sammsung, at the same time Sony & LG will be in the mix. 3D channels will launch, and movies will hit the shelves.

So here we are - first week in April - and June is two months away. Don't studios usually announce new OD titles months in advance?
post #53 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The Sunday Night Report on; ...

Are there to be reports only weekly? There could be a crucial development that we would miss out on for six whole days!
post #54 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Are there to be reports only weekly? There could be a crucial development that we would miss out on for six whole days!

If ir comes - it will be posted here, then included in the weekly report. Like Post #33
post #55 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So here we are - first week in April - and June is two months away. Don't studios usually announce new OD titles months in advance?

It really depends, sometimes we get a big headsup of months like with LOTR, but other times it is just 5 weeks like with Avatar.
post #56 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

It really depends, sometimes we get a big headsup of months like with LOTR, but other times it is just 5 weeks like with Avatar.

But Avatar was discussed numerous times wih numerous release dates before the actual official announcement.

Such is not the case with any 3D BD titles, other than those listed in the OP.
post #57 of 1052
I'm interested in how poorly BD catalog has sold and now how will BD 3D catalog sell ?

I guess there will be 2D on the disc ?

Art
post #58 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I'm interested in how poorly BD catalog has sold and now how will BD 3D catalog sell ?

I guess there will be 2D on the disc ?

Art

I hope so I guess they will have 3D+2D+DVD+digital Copy. I guess they will charge more.
post #59 of 1052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I hope so I guess they will have 3D+2D+DVD+digital Copy. I guess they will charge more.

What would be the reason to include a 2D BD version of a 3D BD movie? Not necessary - already on the 3D BD with the AVC-MVC codec.
post #60 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I'm interested in how poorly BD catalog has sold and now how will BD 3D catalog sell ?

I guess there will be 2D on the disc ?

Art

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly. Are you asking if the 3D versions of catalog titles (and Avatar) will include 2D versions? If that's the question, then the answer is that older, regular Blu-ray players will see only the left eye view of the MVC 3D stream - making for a remarkable degree of compatibility with legacy players. 3D can be defeated in new 3D Blu-ray players if you want to watch the movie in 2D. That would need to happen, for instance, if you don't have enough 3D glasses to go around for a get together.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › The Official AVS 3D Blu-ray Release Schedule