or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 86

post #2551 of 5211
I think my mll has gone down..... Maybe it's finally getting over all the break-in IR

I've spent the last hour trying to make a video of this tv and I can't do it. Camera can't do it, the colors look smeared, purple fringing, and the interlaced nature of the camera(I can't do 720p) just make it hopeless. Maybe I can take a photo though, I will attempt.
post #2552 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

I think my mll has gone down..... Maybe it's finally getting over all the break-in IR

I've spent the last hour trying to make a video of this tv and I can't do it. Camera can't do it, the colors look smeared, purple fringing, and the interlaced nature of the camera(I can't do 720p) just make it hopeless. Maybe I can take a photo though, I will attempt.


Damn, that sucks about your camera Shaddix.It's nice to know that you think your MLL has gone down, i've been wondering if the larger 60 inch is darker than the 50 inch for these tv's? Looking forward to any pic you post.
post #2553 of 5211
well good luck with the panasonic anti reflective coating that make the picture dull plus the green tint,inacurate primary color and bad color accurancy.
post #2554 of 5211
Some people in the 750 thread are saying that they received firmware updates. I wonder if they fixed the problems making the 550 > 750...

Edit: Yes, I meant the issues that were causing the 550 to be better than the 5750. If they are fixed, the 750 may now be superior.
post #2555 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post

Some people in the 750 thread are saying that they received firmware updates. I wonder if they fixed the problems making the 550 > 750...

Don't you mean making the 750 > 550 (meaning 750 is better after update)?
post #2556 of 5211
hope so

Believe he is saying "fixed the problems that were making the 550 > 750"
post #2557 of 5211
Hi!
I have two candidate to buy. One of them is pk550.
I have two concerns about it:
1. Glare - in my room (windows on East) sun is until 12. But in sunny day is very brightly. I have curtains but I saw on others fotos of users that it doesn't help completely. You can watch reflections on screen during the day. Do you disturb during watching dark scenes? What about artificial lighting? Some users wrote this is big problem for them.
2. Quality of LG. I my country LG is famous for weak quality and very emergency. Panasonic and Samsung have better opinion on market.


So my second candidate is Samsung C550 (C590) but he has floating blacks (flickering brithness in dark scenes). And lack of opportunity to good calibrate colors (no menu options). But Samsung has good antyglare screen.
Price is the same. I looking for 50 inch tv. Does pk550 have effect of flickering brigtness ?
post #2558 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onees View Post

Hi!
Does pk550 have effect of flickering brigtness ?


No.
post #2559 of 5211
okay so the green dancing pixel problem kicked in my display as well, at brightness set to 50 there is no problem but as soon as i change brightness to 52 it starts and totally ruins the blacks, now i have been through a few of the last pages of this thread hoping to find an answer or a possible solution, but there seems to be a division regarding this as well, some have said that it is not a defect wh9ile some say it is, which has me totally confused. Now can someone be kind enough to tell me

Is it a defect ?
is it something that is normal to Plasma tech?
Is there a solution for it, Can it be reduced atleast if not completely removed?
Should I exchange the display or should I return it and ask for a refund (considering it kicks in at such low level of brightness) ?
Does changing anything in advanced control help with it?

Also at what brightness setting does it come into play for others, for me it starts at 52 (contrast at60 an all other settings below 50, 0 tint, 0 colour temp) and it doesn't matter which mode i am using. Also I am still 60 hours into the break in period. Would appreciate some answers

Thanks !
post #2560 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by preet27 View Post

Is it a defect ?
is it something that is normal to Plasma tech?
Is there a solution for it, Can it be reduced atleast if not completely removed?
Should I exchange the display or should I return it and ask for a refund (considering it kicks in at such low level of brightness) ?
Does changing anything in advanced control help with it?


It seems to be "normal" as everybody have it. If it was grey and not green, I would understand. Some people say they don't have the green dots, but I think they are (like you) just talking about one dark grey they have. The green dots are always somewhere in a grey scale.


This is not a plasma problem, only LG.

No solution to remove or attenuate it, except set brightness higher than 65, (or set gamma to low or black level on high on HDMI) so you don't have black, so no green dots. But this is not a real solution.
post #2561 of 5211
I will take some high res pictures of the lowend of a grayscale pattern on my set today.
post #2562 of 5211
First off thanks for replying MaDJik, so at what brightness setting does it kick in for you, for me if i keep brightness at 50 or less then blacks are black and no green dots, if i go to 51 they start appearing from the edge with the space decreasing as it moves towards the centre, above 54 they cover all the blacks.
post #2563 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

I will take some high res pictures of the lowend of a grayscale pattern on my set today.

I've been waiting for that.


I set brightness to 53 or 54, because lower we lose to much information on dark scene. When there are black band (4:3 or 20:9) the dots appear but I always zoom so this is not a problem for me.
post #2564 of 5211
I think this is the best my camcorder can do. This is close-up of dve pluge pattern of the 2% above black bar.



got to go to class now, I will take some more later.
post #2565 of 5211
it happens with my set too, but I don't mind it, I have to be 2ft or less to see it clearly. From normal looking distance I don't see the dots, however, I keep my brightness around 51. When watching sports I raise it.
post #2566 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MaDJiK* View Post

This is not a plasma problem, only LG.

So can we report to LG to fix via firmware update? Is that possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MaDJiK* View Post

No solution to remove or attenuate it, except set brightness higher than 65, (or set gamma to low or black level on high on HDMI) so you don't have black, so no green dots. But this is not a real solution.

Even I tried all above settings but picture is not as good or even close.
post #2567 of 5211
So there is no point exchanging it, i wonder why some of the people are not seeing it, mine is an Indian version, which further doesn't have any expert mode or picture wizard, so i can't test what shaddix has posted before in this thread. So my next question is for shaddix if you could answer it

@ Shaddix have you been able to reduce the green pixels to some extent if not completely make them go away.

Also does anyone know what does ADC adjust do in the service menu, can it be used to enable these modes on the Indian version ?
post #2568 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaiju_o_thomas View Post

So can we report to LG to fix via firmware update? Is that possible?

I even can't have an answer if it's a defect or not... So a new firmware is like a dream.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

This is close-up of dve pluge pattern of the 2% above black bar.


I never have multicoloured points like this! Can you shoot that on top of the screen like that please?
post #2569 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by preet27 View Post

@ Shaddix have you been able to reduce the green pixels to some extent if not completely make them go away.

My shadows on the default picture settings have too much red. If you could take a picture of what you're seeing and post it?

*MaDJiK*: I see the crushing of blacks on the top 1-3 centimeters or so of the screen. It only seems to affect the near black video levels, 17-25 or so, and it gets better as IRE increases. From looks like about an inch is affected at 17rgb and improves to less than a centimeter at 22rgb. Here is a picture of AVS calibration disc brightness test pattern showing the artifact.


The bottom doesn't appear to be affected, which is strange. I wonder what could cause that?
post #2570 of 5211
@shaddix Well here is a video that was posted by a fellow indian owner and it looks exactly the same on my display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0MTo...layer_embedded
post #2571 of 5211
OK, so everybody have this. Yes, the bottom is better and this is sometime awful at the top.
Your points are of different colors, not mine.
post #2572 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MaDJiK* View Post

It seems to be "normal" as everybody have it. If it was grey and not green, I would understand. Some people say they don't have the green dots, but I think they are (like you) just talking about one dark grey they have. The green dots are always somewhere in a grey scale.


This is not a plasma problem, only LG.

No solution to remove or attenuate it, except set brightness higher than 65, (or set gamma to low or black level on high on HDMI) so you don't have black, so no green dots. But this is not a real solution.

I set brightness to 53 or 54, because lower we lose to much information on dark scene. When there are black band (4:3 or 20:9) the dots appear but I always zoom so this is not a problem for me.

And in that case a Samsung and a Panasonic problem, since I have it on my old PS42C96 in very low black and my fathers TX-P42C10Y. Exactly the same.

Do anyone of you actually see the dots when you watch tv?

If you watch a white to black (including grey) calibration pattern for contrast and brightness. Just before BTB, do you acutally see it as green from the sofa or your chair?

I would say your brightness is too high. All details in black is not always ment to be shown. I would recommend you to watch DVE HDBASICS. There's a tutorial explaining this.
post #2573 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by preet27 View Post

@shaddix Well here is a video that was posted by a fellow indian owner and it looks exactly the same on my display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0MTo...layer_embedded

I can't tell what's going on in that video, it looks like he's zooming in with the camera to an area below the TV and somehow it is snowing there.
post #2574 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MaDJiK* View Post

OK, so everybody have this. Yes, the bottom is better and this is sometime awful at the top.
Your points are of different colors, not mine.

My points are of different colors?
post #2575 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

I can't tell what's going on in that video, it looks like he's zooming in with the camera to an area below the TV and somehow it is snowing there.

How about this, this is close to what i see on my display, if still not clear i will try and take a high res pic with my camera

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12378292-post23.html
post #2576 of 5211
I got my PK550 replaced today due to the green pixel issue.

The new one also has similar problem but very minor. I tried setting brightness below 52 and the nasty pixels ae no longer visible. How do I know that brightness is correctly set and no (or very little) shadow detail is sacrificed?
post #2577 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by preet27 View Post

He is playing an SD content which includes the black bars on top and bottom of the content being played, and then he is moving the camera close in and moving out to show the green pixels covering the black bars, when he moves away they are not visible so as to tell that they are only visible at a very close distance, there is another video, which is close to what i see on my display, hope it will help

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12378292-post23.html

If there are pixels visible on black bars then the settings on either the source or display are not set correctly. Probably his brightness is too high or he has black level set to high when it should be low. Or if it's a cable box it could be outputting black incorrectly creating that issue. If he's playing a file from pc the encoding could be done incorrectly.

That second video though, if the problem wasn't changing depending on scenes in the movie it would be an easy fix assuming the PK250 has all the calibration controls available. I would blame the fluctuations on the analog signal though. He posted saying an LG tech came and it did the same thing over hdmi. I posted a reply asking if the fluctuations were still present with the digital signal.

I think I read the Indian version PK550 does not have the isf expert modes available? If there's no way to access the grayscale calibration options I am not sure it's possible to fix.

take a look at my video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Xr9v-FfHY
Please excuse my snarky commentary, I must have been in a bad mood that day
post #2578 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaiju_o_thomas View Post

I got my PK550 replaced today due to the green pixel issue.

The new one also has similar problem but very minor. I tried setting brightness below 52 and the nasty pixels ae no longer visible. How do I know that brightness is correctly set and no (or very little) shadow detail is sacrificed?

take a look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

There is free test pattern downloads and the one for setting black level is particularly exceptional.

good that you got it exchanged, serves them right for not putting the ISF modes. Maybe a firmware update in the future will add them.
post #2579 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade View Post

Do anyone of you actually see the dots when you watch tv?

If you watch a white to black (including grey) calibration pattern for contrast and brightness. Just before BTB, do you acutally see it as green from the sofa or your chair?


From where I sit, approx 8ft from screen, I can not see the green dots. The areas that does have the green dots, such as just before BTB, appears as grey to me or beyond my thresh hold to distinguish the difference between grey and green at that IRE value.
post #2580 of 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onees View Post

Hi!
I have two candidate to buy. One of them is pk550.
I have two concerns about it:
1. Glare - in my room (windows on East) sun is until 12. But in sunny day is very brightly. I have curtains but I saw on others fotos of users that it doesn't help completely. You can watch reflections on screen during the day. Do you disturb during watching dark scenes? What about artificial lighting? Some users wrote this is big problem for them.
2. Quality of LG. I my country LG is famous for weak quality and very emergency. Panasonic and Samsung have better opinion on market.


So my second candidate is Samsung C550 (C590) but he has floating blacks (flickering brithness in dark scenes). And lack of opportunity to good calibrate colors (no menu options). But Samsung has good antyglare screen.
Price is the same. I looking for 50 inch tv. Does pk550 have effect of flickering brigtness ?




I would not take any chances tv is very reflective like unacceptable just letting you know do not make the mistake I did go with the samsung
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk]