I got the 46EX401 yesterday at Sam's and today I did some input lag tests with it; after a lot of screenshots and different clock tests at different websites, I can say that this set in 1080/60p in Game Original mode only has an input lag of 16ms. 60% of the shots showed 16ms and the other 40% of the shots I got different results from 10ms to 32ms.
For me this 40% is just not to really take care of, because most of the pics (40 out of 100) where not too clear at all, showing numbers between frames and you can really tell the exact number.
On the other 60% ALL the pics where crystal clear and showing a difference of exactly 16ms.
The computer used was a MacBook Pro 15" wich has 0~1ms input lag (tested a CRT with it via DVI to confirm) connected from the built-in DVI to an HDMI port of the 46EX401 and the TV set at 1080/60p native resolution. I ran tests on both Windows XP Pro SP3 and Mac OS 10.6.5. Both showed the same results on 2 different runs.
The settings on the TV where:
Picture mode: Game Original
Power Save: Off
BTW, I did noticed an increase on input lag on any other Scene modes and even between Game Original and Game Standard, Game Original is the only one I could get 16ms.
I can't post pics or links, but as soon as I get some of the pics with the best results I post them on the Input Lag wars post as well.
I bought this set to replace a Panny P42S1 and after calibrating the Sony, I'm very happy with it, the blacks are better than I expected and the picture quality is great, for my eyes, this two sets are on par, with a little advantage for the Panny in the blacks and colors area. I put both TVs side by side and I can't believe that the Sony is a great TV, even if I'm a Plasma fan.
I was going to buy the P50S2 but the issue with floating blacks stopped me for getting it, so I decided to go with this Sony after researching for about a week.
Don't worry, the Panny is going to the living room, this Sony is for gaming (tired of IR on the Panny every time I finish playing, it goes away after watching full screen content, but I hate to waste energy just to wash the IR) and Bluray, the Panny will be for Bluray and HDTV and it's going to look great where I'm planning it to be.