or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Page 9

post #241 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IMO, it is rare when an English dub works well.
Crouching Tiger stands out above the crowd in this regard.

FWIW, I finally started the book version of Dragon Tattoo.
Interesting....
A different vibe than the movie version (at least so far
).

How so? Like you, I saw the movies first, but other than getting a heavy dose of what each character was thinking, I thought the book and movie had an identical feel. Each scene in the book brought back a visual from the film which I enjoyed very much.
post #242 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

In general I find it very difficult to "read the book" after "seeing the movie". You already know all the major plot points and it becomes a struggle to get thru the details along-the-way of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL, I have the reverse POV; I don't like to know how a movie will turn out (surprises rule).

Isn't it interesting people have the very opposite approach to the same situation?
It's what makes the world interesting....

Just to show how much divergence of opinion there is, I really don't care whether I read a book first or see a movie its based on first. Generally, if I like the one I'm exposed to first, I'll like the other well enough.
post #243 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

How so? Like you, I saw the movies first, but other than getting a heavy dose of what each character was thinking, I thought the book and movie had an identical feel. Each scene in the book brought back a visual from the film which I enjoyed very much.

Although not quite to 100 pages yet, Lisbeth comes across as a little more hard-a$$.
Still early in the game...we'll see....
post #244 of 367
You've only just begone......
post #245 of 367
For fans of this story, be aware that the original 558 minute version of the Swedish Miniseries is now available via NetFlix Streaming. Search for: "Dragon Tattoo Trilogy: Extended Edition".

This version is a total of 130 minutes longer than the Swedish theatrical movie cuts. The added material represents additional characters, additional subplots, additional character development, and a few extended scenes which contain more violence and skin. The EE is "Not Rated", and still has Swedish audio track with English open captions.

The aspect ratio of the EE is 1.78:1 which represents a crop of the 2.35:1, 35mm film negative. No doubt about the side crop, in many closeups the head barely fits the height of the frame. However it's a good 1080p60 transfer with a considerable amount of visible film grain. If you have the bandwidth to stream 1080p60, I see no reason to buy the DVD or BluRay versions of the EE, I doubt if the improvement will be visible. (All EE disk versions are also cropped to 1.78:1.) I do wish they had kept the English captions closer to the bottom of the frame, but it's a small gripe.

The audio is vanilla Dolby Stereo 2.0, but I got some good surround effects by using Dolby ProLogic II processing in my A/V receiver. I was streaming via a recent model networked Panasonic BluRay player.

This version of the story is reccomended by me. I have recently read the three novels and also reccomend them - the electronic version "Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" is $29.99 from Barnes&Noble. It is really one story in 3 parts, versus standalone novels.
post #246 of 367
IIRC, Fincher's version is supposed to be out on disc this month(March) too.
post #247 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

For fans of this story, be aware that the original 558 minute version of the Swedish Miniseries is now available via NetFlix Streaming. Search for: "Dragon Tattoo Trilogy: Extended Edition".

This version is a total of 130 minutes longer than the Swedish theatrical movie cuts. The added material represents additional characters, additional subplots, additional character development, and a few extended scenes which contain more violence and skin. The EE is "Not Rated", and still has Swedish audio track with English open captions.

The aspect ratio of the EE is 1.78:1 which represents a crop of the 2.35:1, 35mm film negative. No doubt about the side crop, in many closeups the head barely fits the height of the frame. However it's a good 1080p60 transfer with a considerable amount of visible film grain. If you have the bandwidth to stream 1080p60, I see no reason to buy the DVD or BluRay versions of the EE, I doubt if the improvement will be visible. (All EE disk versions are also cropped to 1.78:1.) I do wish they had kept the English captions closer to the bottom of the frame, but it's a small gripe.

The audio is vanilla Dolby Stereo 2.0, but I got some good surround effects by using Dolby ProLogic II processing in my A/V receiver. I was streaming via a recent model networked Panasonic BluRay player.

This version of the story is reccomended by me. I have recently read the three novels and also reccomend them - the electronic version "Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" is $29.99 from Barnes&Noble. It is really one story in 3 parts, versus standalone novels.

extended version is the only way to see this trilogy. original swedish leaves too much out. ee explains everything. fincher has a different style and cinemotography compared to original swedish. both good just minor differences in the nuance of the narrative. like swedish lisbeth as she exhibits a mental and physical toughness that is less demonstrated in mara's lisbeth, who i also feel is more vunerable than the the way larsson envisioned lisbeth's character.

i have ee trilogy on br and it is one of the prizes of my collection.
post #248 of 367
Well, I finally caught the Fincher version last night. The opening credit with the CGI showed a lot of depth, though I was only watching the SD version, not BR. It's hard to tell since my JVC with new lamp really brought out the contrast or 3d look, as if it was BR.

Since I read all the books, and the original short Swedish version, there was really little surprise other than a minor change in one locale at the end.

In her 1st major role, Mara was amazing despite such young age comparing to Rapace. I'm too old to appreciate the soundtrack. Now I would like to see the next 2 installments but not in any hurry. This gives me an excuse to review the original tonight in BR.

For those who own the BR version, is it worth the extra $$$ in terms of PQ?
post #249 of 367
I've seen all the movies produced so far in both the Swedish and US versions and all of them were worth purchasing for me. Of course, in both versions of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, it was Lisbeth Salander's character that was by far the most interesting.
post #250 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Well, I finally caught the Fincher version last night. The opening credit with the CGI showed a lot of depth, though I was only watching the SD version, not BR. It's hard to tell since my JVC with new lamp really brought out the contrast or 3d look, as if it was BR.

Since I read all the books, and the original short Swedish version, there was really little surprise other than a minor change in one locale at the end.

In her 1st major role, Mara was amazing despite such young age comparing to Rapace. I'm too old to appreciate the soundtrack. Now I would like to see the next 2 installments but not in any hurry. This gives me an excuse to review the original tonight in BR.

For those who own the BR version, is it worth the extra $$$ in terms of PQ?


yes get the extended edition blu ray trilogy box set.. you will be most pleased.
post #251 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Wally View Post

yes get the extended edition blu ray trilogy box set.. You will be most pleased.

+1
post #252 of 367
Sorry. I meant the Mara version. Sd or br?
post #253 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

I'm too old to appreciate the soundtrack.

lol


...well I don't know how old you are but there's simply nothing to appreciate here. It's just musically poor. I can come up with similar pads in a very short time with my sound libraries and they won't sound like presets either. I can only imagine what the musical soundscape would have been if Alexandre Desplat had done it, or Eliot Goldenthal, or even Marilyn Manson for crying out loud ...It would have been certainly more creative than this lazy "effort". That's the only true weakness of the film actually.
post #254 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Sorry. I meant the Mara version. Sd or br?

I'm very confident it's worth the extra $$. I got mine (3-disc BR) for $22 up here and the PQ is stunning. Also the lossless sountrack takes full advantage of Reznor's haunting score .....I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.
post #255 of 367
Think the old term was "dead wood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

lol


...well I don't know how old you are but there's simply nothing to appreciate here. It's just musically poor. I can come up with similar pads in a very short time with my sound libraries and they won't sound like presets either. I can only imagine what the musical soundscape would have been if Alexandre Desplat had done it, or Eliot Goldenthal, or even Marilyn Manson for crying out loud ...It would have been certainly more creative than this lazy "effort". That's the only true weakness of the film actually.
post #256 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I'm very confident it's worth the extra $$. I got mine (3-disc BR) for $22 up here and the PQ is stunning. Also the lossless sountrack takes full advantage of Reznor's haunting score .....I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

I agree. Thanks to preordering my BD of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo from Amazon, I got it for $19.99. I thought it was a bargain. My copy came earlier this week and I plan to watch it either tonight or tomorrow night. Really looking forward to seeing this wonderful film again as well as its generous collection of extras.

BDs have spoiled me and under ordinary circumstances, I don't watch DVDs these days. I haven't bought a new DVD since I bought my first BD nearly 4 years ago. The choice is even easier today than it was then because many, many BDs are being sold at discount prices.
post #257 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I think that Kate Mara is prettier than her sister, although her acting chops strike me as only so-so. I saw her in Shooter and was underwhelmed. I haven't seen anything that her sister Rooney has been in.

Careful now, Kate's my girl. I thought she was fine eye-candy in Shooter.



But more to the point I thought Rooney Mara did a great job in GWTDT. Looking forward to the sequels.
post #258 of 367
I really enjoyed the original Swedish version. I have the remake in my rental queue. Is it worth it?
post #259 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I really enjoyed the original Swedish version. I have the remake in my rental queue. Is it worth it?

Yes, I think it is, although Daniel Craig seemed somewhat out of place in the US version.

Lisbeth's guardian was better in the Swedish version in my opinion, but the rest of the cast was very good. Rooney Mara was great as Lisbeth, although I can't say she was better than Noomi Rapace. Both actresses were outstanding in their roles, but in different ways.
post #260 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Careful now, Kate's my girl. I thought she was fine eye-candy in Shooter.

Agreed... there is something about her that has always caught my attention, too!

I only found out after watching Dragon Tattoo a couple of days ago that she was Rooney's sister. They don't look all that much alike.
post #261 of 367
I watched Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo BD tonight and liked it just as well as I had when I saw it in the theater. That is to say, I loved it, loved it, loved it! I thought Rooney Mara was wonderful as Lisbeth and that Daniel Craig was equally convincing as the womanizing Mika. I also liked the actor who played Lisbeth's sexually perverted guardian and thought he was even better than the one who played the role in the Swedish films. The overweight, soft featured actor in this version even looked like a pervert.

I thought the changes in the screenplay from the book did no harm to the story and in one instance at least, improved it. I loved the final scene. It was more explicit and therefore sadder than the Swedish version had been and it moved me. As much as I loved the Swedish version of the film and Noomi Rapace's performance of Lisbeth in it, I thought Fincher's version was at least its equal. Highly, highly recommended! 10 Stars out of 10.
post #262 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo BD tonight and liked it just as well as I had when I saw it in the theater. That is to say, I loved it, loved it, loved it! I thought Rooney Mara was wonderful as Lisbeth and that Daniel Craig was equally convincing as the womanizing Mika. I also liked the actor who played Lisbeth's sexually perverted guardian and thought he was even better than the one who played the role in the Swedish films. The overweight, soft featured actor in this version even looked like a pervert.

I thought the changes in the screenplay from the book did no harm to the story and in one instance at least, improved it. I loved the final scene. It was more explicit and therefore sadder than the Swedish version had been and it moved me. As much as I loved the Swedish version of the film and Noomi Rapace's performance of Lisbeth in it, I thought Fincher's version was at least its equal. Highly, highly recommended! 10 Stars out of 10.

Can't say I agree with you but I certainly found plenty to like about Finchers adaptation. The end was not one of them, I felt the over explained bit with winstrom was far too drawn out and somewhat defeating for the momentum it had prior to. The bit with the jacket didn't really do anything for me the extended version didn't but I can see how it may have had more impact with the US version as the chemistry between Mike and Lisbeth was presented in a way that gave it more emotion IMO. Certainly worth seeing but I still find the extended Sweedish version superior in many ways.
post #263 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Can't say I agree with you but I certainly found plenty to like about Finchers adaptation. The end was not one of them, I felt the over explained bit with winstrom was far too drawn out and somewhat defeating for the momentum it had prior to. The bit with the jacket didn't really do anything for me the extended version didn't but I can see how it may have had more impact with the US version as the chemistry between Mike and Lisbeth was presented in a way that gave it more emotion IMO. Certainly worth seeing but I still find the extended Sweedish version superior in many ways.

+1 as much as I like Fincher's version and as much as I agree with gwsat about Rooney, Craig and fat pervert, I still think the swedish version is the best, simply because it seems they left more things 'unsaid' about Lisbeth's emotions. And Noomi just nailed it like no other. Yet in the hands of Fincher and his wonderful cast, the U.S version is a pleasure to watch as well. In short and as long as he directs the rest of the series, I will be glad to have both.
post #264 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Can't say I agree with you but I certainly found plenty to like about Finchers adaptation. The end was not one of them, I felt the over explained bit with winstrom was far too drawn out and somewhat defeating for the momentum it had prior to. The bit with the jacket didn't really do anything for me the extended version didn't but I can see how it may have had more impact with the US version as the chemistry between Mike and Lisbeth was presented in a way that gave it more emotion IMO. Certainly worth seeing but I still find the extended Sweedish version superior in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

+1 as much as I like Fincher's version and as much as I agree with gwsat about Rooney, Craig and fat pervert, I still think the swedish version is the best, simply because it seems they left more things 'unsaid' about Lisbeth's emotions. And Noomi just nailed it like no other. Yet in the hands of Fincher and his wonderful cast, the U.S version is a pleasure to watch as well. In short and as long as he directs the rest of the series, I will be glad to have both.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful comments. There is much to like about both Fincher's film and the Swedish original, especially the Extended Edition. Despite my preference for Fincher's ending and his more explicit depiction of Lisbeth's fragility, I loved the Swedish film, too. In fact, I gave it 9 Stars out of 10. If there are two film versions of any other literary work that are are as wonderful as these two, I can't say what they might be.
post #265 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo BD tonight and liked it just as well as I had when I saw it in the theater. That is to say, I loved it, loved it, loved it! I thought Rooney Mara was wonderful as Lisbeth and that Daniel Craig was equally convincing as the womanizing Mika. I also liked the actor who played Lisbeth's sexually perverted guardian and thought he was even better than the one who played the role in the Swedish films. The overweight, soft featured actor in this version even looked like a pervert.

I thought the changes in the screenplay from the book did no harm to the story and in one instance at least, improved it. I loved the final scene. It was more explicit and therefore sadder than the Swedish version had been and it moved me. As much as I loved the Swedish version of the film and Noomi Rapace's performance of Lisbeth in it, I thought Fincher's version was at least its equal. Highly, highly recommended! 10 Stars out of 10.

That's a high score there gwsat. Will give it a go when its released over here.
post #266 of 367
Just watched this, and it was fantastic! Very smart,my wife said the book was better, but everyone always says that.
post #267 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

For fans of this story, be aware that the original 558 minute version of the Swedish Miniseries is now available via NetFlix Streaming. Search for: "Dragon Tattoo Trilogy: Extended Edition".

This version is a total of 130 minutes longer than the Swedish theatrical movie cuts. The added material represents additional characters, additional subplots, additional character development, and a few extended scenes which contain more violence and skin. The EE is "Not Rated", and still has Swedish audio track with English open captions.

The aspect ratio of the EE is 1.78:1 which represents a crop of the 2.35:1, 35mm film negative. No doubt about the side crop, in many closeups the head barely fits the height of the frame. However it's a good 1080p60 transfer with a considerable amount of visible film grain. If you have the bandwidth to stream 1080p60, I see no reason to buy the DVD or BluRay versions of the EE, I doubt if the improvement will be visible. (All EE disk versions are also cropped to 1.78:1.) I do wish they had kept the English captions closer to the bottom of the frame, but it's a small gripe.

The audio is vanilla Dolby Stereo 2.0, but I got some good surround effects by using Dolby ProLogic II processing in my A/V receiver. I was streaming via a recent model networked Panasonic BluRay player.

It's worth to mention that very few Netflix streaming devices are capable to stream at 1080p from Netflix, and very few titles offer that to begin with, so before one decides to skip the Br's one should investigate one's equipment first. The new AT, Roku 2 and PS3 are among the the few that does 1080p provided the title is encoded as such on Netflix.
post #268 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That's a high score there gwsat. Will give it a go when its released over here.

Fincher's films have always appealed to me, particularly his more recent work. In addition to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I also have The Social Network and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in my BD library.
post #269 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Fincher's films have always appealed to me, particularly his more recent work. In addition to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I also have The Social Network and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in my BD library.

I have the Social Network and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button both films which I have enjoyed very much. I'm yet to buy the girl with the Dragon Tattoo I want to check Fincher's version.
post #270 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have the Social Network and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button both films which I have enjoyed very much. I'm yet to buy the girl with the Dragon Tattoo I want to check Fincher's version.

I think you will like the Fincher version. Rooney Mara is amazing as Lisbeth but in a different way. Mara's Lisbeth manages to look very much the tiny waif described in the books. In Fincher's film there is one scene in which Lisbeth is shown looking into a surveillance camera outside Mika's cabin and she looks like she is about 9 years old. Although Mara is a little taller than the Lisbeth described in the books, Mara can't weigh much more than a hundred pounds, if that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo