or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 60

post #1771 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid View Post

I am considering replacing my current HDMI 1.3 receiver with one of the new HDMI 1.4 Onkyo's. I have been trying to make sense of all the information from DirecTV out there saying that the 3D broadcasts will not work when sent through any current receiver on the market and the HDMI cable must be directly connected to the 3D capable TV.

Can anyone confirm or deny if, say the new ESPN 3D soccer channel, will work when routed through this Onkyo 608 receiver by HDMI? Or do you have to connect the HDMI cable directly to the 3D display to get the 3D picture to work properly.

I know this is the case with all older HDMI 1.3 receivers (connect directly to new 3D TV) but was wondering if DirecTV 3-D signal works when routed through these new 1.4 receivers.

I currently have Comcast box going thru my 608, which is then fed to my TV (all via hdmi 1.3 cables). I can watch the world cup in 3D with no issues (other than some ghosting....).
post #1772 of 5274
Okay, the 608 is an entry\\mid level receiver and an awesome one at that. Can anyone tell me what the AQ difference is like, comparing the 608 to a top of the line "Audiophile" receiver?
post #1773 of 5274
I am suggesting this AVR for my dad. I'm not sure if his space limitations will be suitable though in terms of heat dissipation. I know this has a fan, but there still needs room for the air to circulate, and I don't know there will be enough room.

He will be cutting most of the back out of the shelf of the TV stand this will be placed on so there will be plenty of air flow in the back. It has glass doors in front, so I'm guessing I'll suggest that he keeps them open when in use, I just have to hope he'll actually do that.

I had him measure, and this is what he will be left with in terms of clearance:
1/8" clearance in front
3/8" on each side
just over 2” on top

Here is what the manual states:
18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape.

The manual makes it seem like its a guideline for putting into a closed rack system, so their numbers be extra high because of that. I did search this thread for "clearance", and in the few posts about it most people had larger clearances than what I will have to work with.

I think it will be OK, but I'm not an expert on this type of stuff. Thanks in advance!
post #1774 of 5274
Question about the Wii and upscaling:

I'm trying to upscale the Wii to 1080p using the SR608 but when I do it doesn't fill the screen (it ends up with black borders on all sides). If I upscale to 720p it works fine. Any ideas?
post #1775 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post

There is no reason for TV to decode 5.1 if you have turned of internal speakers in the menu and set it to use external speakers. There is no reason to decode into PCM either. All it has to do is pass origial 5.1 encoded signal out to SPDIF, which does not take any extra HW.

In any case, your argument would apply equally to SPDIF and HDMI ARC - if you can pass unmolested 5.1 into one of them, you can also pass it into another.

You could be right, I was just repeating what I've seen posted here before. The reason given for not being able to pass DD or DTS to SPDIF without first decoding it and sending it as PCM is because of HDCP (you can thank the movie studios for this).

So presumably the reason it will work with ARC but not SPDIF is that it stays on HDMI and can remain under HDCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Okay, the 608 is an entry\\mid level receiver and an awesome one at that. Can anyone tell me what the AQ difference is like, comparing the 608 to a top of the line "Audiophile" receiver?

The 608 is missing MultEQ or for the true Audiophile MultEQ-XT. The 608 also doesn't have preouts. Those are the major discriminators. Less minior things might include the lack of phono input or multichannel inputs or the fact that its got a lower end BurrBrown DAC (but at least it has a BurrBrown DAC unlike the 607 of last year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

Question about the Wii and upscaling:

I'm trying to upscale the Wii to 1080p using the SR608 but when I do it doesn't fill the screen (it ends up with black borders on all sides). If I upscale to 720p it works fine. Any ideas?

I haven't yet tried to hookup my wii, but I would look at the scaling/zoom option under picture adjust under source setup. Instead of setting it to Auto try manually setting it to whatever causes it to display properly (Wide Zoom I would guess).
post #1776 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

Question about the Wii and upscaling:

I'm trying to upscale the Wii to 1080p using the SR608 but when I do it doesn't fill the screen (it ends up with black borders on all sides). If I upscale to 720p it works fine. Any ideas?

How are you defining what it is upconverted to?

My Wii is upconverted correctly AFAIK.
post #1777 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

So presumably the reason it will work with ARC but not SPDIF is that it stays on HDMI and can remain under HDCP.
.

That would be funny, since the signal coming out of TV's SPDIF is no different from same signal coming out of SPDIF on your cable/sat box, or your networked streaming device, or BD/DVD player. If they can output 5.1 on SPDIF, why a TV can't? There is no loss of protection here, because it is not protected at the source either.

They may care about protecting TrueHD audio, but that is never sent on SPDIF anyway - it's exclusive to HDMI. So if you hook up your BD player to TV's HDMI input and run SPDIF out from TV, you'd not receive it - not because of lack of HDCP, but because TrueHD can't be sent on SPDIF. That probably is the only case where ARC solves something, but if you have receiver with HDMI you might as well plug your BD player right into receiver.

Unless there is broadcast/cable/network-originated audio that can't be sent out on SPDIF (such as TrueHD or DTS 7.1), the ARC is simply not doing anything SPDIF can't do. And so far there is no such use case - neither cable, nor satelltite, nor broadcast, nor Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc send out anything beyond DD5.1. Maybe one day they will, then ARC might come useful.

But then again, that's just logic. If you say you have a TV that has ARC and limits SPDIF to stereo, then ARC is useful to you. I just can't see why would someone make such a TV.
post #1778 of 5274
These are very good points. I suppose there is no reason SPDIF would not work then.

I guess what I don't understand then is even without ARC why do so many TV's only output stereo (mine is one of them). Why can't it just pass along the DD signal my cable box puts out on hdmi?
post #1779 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

These are very good points. I suppose there is no reason SPDIF would not work then.

I guess what I don't understand then is even without ARC why do so many TV's only output stereo (mine is one of them). Why can't it just pass along the DD signal my cable box puts out on hdmi?

My sat box has option to output Dolby/PCM or only PCM. Of course if yours outputs only PCM, the TV will have no choice. Is it still limited to stereo if you're receiving a DD5.1 broadcast channel from TV's internal tuner? That would be a good test. Or does it flatly state in the specs that only stereo comes out of SPDIF? That would be just weird, since thay defeats the point of having SPDIF (you can output stereo on RCA).
post #1780 of 5274
I looked up my TV (Samsung) manual. It has both, ARC and SPDIF. It says pretty clearly that 5.1 audio will be sent out on SPDIF when signal is coming from the internal tuner, but not from HDMI inputs (stereo PCM in that case).

In the settings you can select PCM or Dolby for audio output, but Dolby choice is not available unless TV is receiving 5.1 broadcast on the internal tuner.

It does not really say what will happen with ARC. Maybe it will pass audio from HDMI inputs back to receiver unmodified. But there is really no point in connecting things that way - if you have HDMI receiver, you can plug your HDMI sources right there and then SPDIF limitation does not matter. And for 5.1 audio originating at the TV (broadcasts), SPDIF has no limitaiton.
post #1781 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

Question about the Wii and upscaling:

I'm trying to upscale the Wii to 1080p using the SR608 but when I do it doesn't fill the screen (it ends up with black borders on all sides). If I upscale to 720p it works fine. Any ideas?

On your display, instead of using "Just Scan" or 1:1 mode, make the widescreen mode on your display 16x9 and it will fix it. Same goes for PS3 and 720p upscaled.
post #1782 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Okay, the 608 is an entry\\mid level receiver and an awesome one at that. Can anyone tell me what the AQ difference is like, comparing the 608 to a top of the line "Audiophile" receiver?

With the inclusion of THX Select 2 certification in this model, the only AQ differences of higher end receivers are power, pre-outs, THX Ultra, better audyssey modes, and the ability to run more speakers. Sound wise, they are pretty much similar at normal listening volume. That's why the 608 is such a crazy value this year.
post #1783 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post

My sat box has option to output Dolby/PCM or only PCM. Of course if yours outputs only PCM, the TV will have no choice. Is it still limited to stereo if you're receiving a DD5.1 broadcast channel from TV's internal tuner? That would be a good test. Or does it flatly state in the specs that only stereo comes out of SPDIF? That would be just weird, since thay defeats the point of having SPDIF (you can output stereo on RCA).

It doesn't matter if I output PCM or DD from the cable box. It also doesn't matter if I send it from the cable box over hdmi or optical. Last time I tried, I'm fairly certain my internal tuner does the same. My TV will always only output 2.0 PCM.

I believe that is what the guy who originally asked the ARC question also said, which is why he needed to use ARC.
post #1784 of 5274
Does anyone know if there is a way to search by name or scroll quicker on the Ipod Dock with this receiver? if I have a song I'm looking for an don't know the Artist, it takes like 10 minutes to scroll to like the middle of the alphabet.
post #1785 of 5274
Another newb question. I'm not wanting to start up the "runs too hot or not" argument that I saw earlier in the thread. I just want to make sure I have adequate clearance for my 608.

The manual states 4 inches on the sides. I have plenty of space over the receiver (about 8 inches), but not near that on the sides. I have probably just a couple of inches, if that, on each side. I do leave the glass door open, and much of the back of the cabinet is open. The unit does not seem hot at all... just barely warm.

What do you experienced guys think? Is the owners manual playing it safe by stating 4 inches minimum? Or do I need to "rethink" my cabinet?

I could take a hole saw and put a couple of breathing holes on the side that could be a few inches in diameter. Would that be helpful?

Thanks!
post #1786 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddd View Post

Another newb question. I'm not wanting to start up the "runs too hot or not" argument that I saw earlier in the thread. I just want to make sure I have adequate clearance for my 608.

The manual states 4 inches on the sides. I have plenty of space over the receiver (about 8 inches), but not near that on the sides. I have probably just a couple of inches, if that, on each side. I do leave the glass door open, and much of the back of the cabinet is open. The unit does not seem hot at all... just barely warm.

What do you experienced guys think? Is the owners manual playing it safe by stating 4 inches minimum? Or do I need to "rethink" my cabinet?

I could take a hole saw and put a couple of breathing holes on the side that could be a few inches in diameter. Would that be helpful?

Thanks!


You're fine as is.
post #1787 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

With the inclusion of THX Select 2 certification in this model, the only AQ differences of higher end receivers are power, pre-outs, THX Ultra, better audyssey modes, and the ability to run more speakers. Sound wise, they are pretty much similar at normal listening volume. That's why the 608 is such a crazy value this year.

Kinda crazy....I am so floored by how much better the AQ is from my old 110w /channel Yammy I've had for over Five years. I am so impressed with the 608 receivers performance I just can't imagine the big boys being that much better to justify the cost difference.

Does anyone know what Burr-Brown DAC's are inside the 608?
post #1788 of 5274
I hooked up my HT-RC260 and I absolutely had to turn video processing off. The studdering, colors and upconversion issues were too glaring on my projector.

Here's to hoping they can solve this in an upcoming firmware update because I really miss this OSD.
post #1789 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

It doesn't matter if I output PCM or DD from the cable box. It also doesn't matter if I send it from the cable box over hdmi or optical. Last time I tried, I'm fairly certain my internal tuner does the same. My TV will always only output 2.0 PCM.

1. It does matter if you send it from cable box over optical. That means you're sending it to receiver, not TV. So TV is not even in the picture.
2. If you're sending HDMI to TV instead of receiver, you're asking for this trouble. Why not send to receiver?
3. If your TV always limits SPDIF to 2.0 PCM, even from internal tuner, what makes you think it will do something different over ARC? Odds are, it wil do the same thing.
4. You need both - TV and receiver to support ARC, otherwise support of ARC on receiver means nothing to you. I think only Samsung and Panasonic's 2010 3D-capable models support ARC, and neither of them limits SPDIF to be always 2.0.

After thinking about this for a while, I can see that ARC has limited value. There is one real use case for it now - if your receiver is short on HDMI inputs, but has ARC (like Denon 791 with 4 inputs) and your TV has a bunch more HDMI inputs and also supports ARC, then you can use your TV as "HDMI hub" for your receiver. This still complicates swithing, since you will have to switch inputs on TV, so it is better to just buy a receiver with 5+ HDMI inputs. Of course that will be couple hundred $ more, but that's minor compared to the cost of a TV+receiver set supporting ARC.
post #1790 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuwal View Post

I hooked up my HT-RC260 and I absolutely had to turn video processing off. The studdering, colors and upconversion issues were too glaring on my projector.

Here's to hoping they can solve this in an upcoming firmware update because I really miss this OSD.

Is the RC260 exactly like the 608? I wonder why the 608 works flawlessly on some systems, like mine, while others seem to struggle so much?
post #1791 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Is the RC260 exactly like the 608? I wonder why the 608 works flawlessly on some systems, like mine, while others seem to struggle so much?

I don't know, but I had the same issues of stuttering and degradation. There are a lot of variables outside of just buggy units. Could have a lot to do with the display and its native ability to video process. I know the receiver's video processing definitely causes issues with 9G Pioneer Kuros.
post #1792 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Is the RC260 exactly like the 608? I wonder why the 608 works flawlessly on some systems, like mine, while others seem to struggle so much?

These problems were apparent on my 118" projector screen - I might not have noticed them on a 60" or under screen.

Maybe it's easier to notice on a larger screen?


As far as I can tell the RC260 is identical to the 608 with the biggest difference the THX certification. The fans are located in the same places, the fixes for the video processing were the same, the issues were the same, etc.
post #1793 of 5274
I'm jumping off the 608 ship and moving up to the 808 for some extra power.
post #1794 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabuwal View Post

These problems were apparent on my 118" projector screen - I might not have noticed them on a 60" or under screen.

Maybe it's easier to notice on a larger screen?


As far as I can tell the RC260 is identical to the 608 with the biggest difference the THX certification. The fans are located in the same places, the fixes for the video processing were the same, the issues were the same, etc.

No because I see it on my 47" Vizio. Had to do the VCR return trick and turn off processing to stop the stuttering on blu-rays. It seems like it plays back fine now with the OSD and video processing turned off. I've read that it is usually a big no no to have OSD turned on in receivers due to problems it causes since there would always be some processing going on. I'm guessing that is why the units are showing problems.
post #1795 of 5274
Lack of Pre Outs was a deal breaker for me.
post #1796 of 5274
I don't mean to stir up another round of fighting over whether this unit gets hot or not, but i thought I would share some information in case it is of help to anyone worried about this. First, as a matter of disclosure, I just bought the Pioneer 1020. I am thinking about returning the Pioneer and getting the 608 because I think I need the extra power of the 608. I was worried, however, about how hot the 608 would get because I may wind up putting my AVR in a closed wood cabinet and I know how hot the older model Onkyos got. Well today I was in Best Buy and checked out the 608. It was about 2 PM and so I am assuming the 608 was on in the store for about 4 hours. I can tell you that; (1) the 608 does not get nearly as hot as the older Onkyos; (2) The 608 was quite warm though. I think some would call it hot and others would call it warm. But, again, it was nowhere as hot as the old models; (3) the Pioneer 1020 definitely runs much cooler than the 608. Bottom line, however, is that one probably does not need to be very concerned or concerned at all about the temperature of the 608. It is much better than prior models. Still not sure what I am going to do.

I hope this helps someone. Again, I hope I have not offended anyone and don't want to stir up a big debate. Just trying to help.
post #1797 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob View Post

I don't mean to stir up another round of fighting over whether this unit gets hot or not, but i thought I would share some information in case it is of help to anyone worried about this. First, as a matter of disclosure, I just bought the Pioneer 1020. I am thinking about returning the Pioneer and getting the 608 because I think I need the extra power of the 608. I was worried, however, about how hot the 608 would get because I may wind up putting my AVR in a closed wood cabinet and I know how hot the older model Onkyos got. Well today I was in Best Buy and checked out the 608. It was about 2 PM and so I am assuming the 608 was on in the store for about 4 hours. I can tell you that; (1) the 608 does not get nearly as hot as the older Onkyos; (2) The 608 was quite warm though. I think some would call it hot and others would call it warm. But, again, it was nowhere as hot as the old models; (3) the Pioneer 1020 definitely runs much cooler than the 608. Bottom line, however, is that one probably does not need to be very concerned or concerned at all about the temperature of the 608. It is much better than prior models. Still not sure what I am going to do.

I hope this helps someone. Again, I hope I have not offended anyone and don't want to stir up a big debate. Just trying to help.


For the last time please...The 608 does not get any warmer/hotter than any other decent receiver out there. Now, if you set up the 608 inside an encloser with only an ass hairs clearance around the receiver then the 608 will get hot as would be expected. If you want an audio system that doesn't produce any heat and can fit inside your sock drawer then, I might recommend you check out Bose.
post #1798 of 5274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post


For the last time please...The 608 does not get any warmer/hotter than any other decent receiver out there. Now, if you set up the 608 inside an encloser with only an ass hairs clearance around the receiver then the 608 will get hot as would be expected. If you want an audio system that doesn't produce any heat and can fit inside your sock drawer then, I might recommend you check out Bose.

That is wishful thinking. Onkyo 608 gets significantly hotter than Pioneer 1020. And Pioneer is hotter than Samsung.

That is not to say that Pioneer or Samsung are perfect or are better overall. Just that they are cooler. Denon eats less power too , so it is probably a bit cooler as well (but still it eats more than Pioneer).

You really have to decide what's most important to you, since there is no receiver that would be flat out better than others in all areas.
post #1799 of 5274
Thanks for the information regarding the VCR/Return trick for strict HDMI video pass through. However, when I press VCR/DVR and Return on the console simultaneously, nothing happens. That is, no menu appears. This is the case even after I have "cleared' the unit by pressing VCR/DVR and Standby.

What are you seeing when you press VCR/DVR? Judging by what I've read, some sort of menu options appear. Could someone please confirm this for me? If I'm not seeing what I should, I need to know so I can return this unit.

Thanks!
post #1800 of 5274
i only have 1 subwoofer. is it ok to use one of the lfe inputs or should i get a Y adapter?

if i connect this reciever to my fat or slim ps3's. set ps3 to PCM. and play a game like uncharted (7.1) or a movie that is in 7.1, this reciever can accept all these channels through hdmi?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk)