or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Sony HT-CT150 and CT350
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony HT-CT150 and CT350 - Page 56

post #1651 of 2094
Davyo....thanks

One more comparison from you if you would

The Polk 6000
Sony 350
JVC BA1

All close enough $$ wise and i dont really care about HDMI just sound quality

thanks
post #1652 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

Davyo....thanks

One more comparison from you if you would

The Polk 6000
Sony 350
JVC BA1

All close enough $$ wise and i dont really care about HDMI just sound quality

thanks

For sound quality the Polk 6000,,,,,,best overall sound and best surround effect.
I dont recall what the best hook-up for the Polk was, I know I tried the optical direct from my BD player to the Polk and also did the optical from my 70" Sharp to the Polk,,,, if you get the Polk I would say to try both ways of hooking it up to see which one gives you the best sound.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1653 of 2094
Hi davyo
Please answer this critical question for me.

I'm considering the 150 for my 46nx720. My credenza is approximately 22 inches from the floor. The soundbar would sit on said credenza in front of the tv.

When I'm sitting on the sofa, the soundbar would be below ear level. Would that setup be ok or would I get inferior sound.

BTW, mounting on top of the tv is not an option for me.
post #1654 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

Hi davyo
Please answer this critical question for me.

I'm considering the 150 for my 46nx720. My credenza is approximately 22 inches from the floor. The soundbar would sit on said credenza in front of the tv.

When I'm sitting on the sofa, the soundbar would be below ear level. Would that setup be ok or would I get inferior sound.

BTW, mounting on top of the tv is not an option for me.

Mounting ANY soundbar that low is going to hurt the sound,,, the sound will get eatin up by carpet and furniture and bodies and anything else that is at that lower level.

Im curious,,, the 150 bar is so small why is it not possible to mount it on top of the TV,,,, perhaps I could help with some mounting ideas.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1655 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Mounting ANY soundbar that low is going to hurt the sound,,, the sound will get eatin up by carpet and furniture and bodies and anything else that is at that lower level.

Im curious,,, the 150 bar is so small why is it not possible to mount it on top of the TV,,,, perhaps I could help with some mounting ideas.

Cheers
Davyo

I would be leery mounting on top of the tv because the pedestal stand that the tv mounts to is not the sturdiest. In fact, the slightest touch makes the tv wobble. Also, because I live in a rented apartment wall mounting is not an option(don't want to p.o. the landlord).

Maybe you could suggest another system?

Another system I've considered is the(please don't flame me)Bose Cinemate series II. I've heard the system and it sounded pretty good.
post #1656 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

I would be leery mounting on top of the tv because the pedestal stand that the tv mounts to is not the sturdiest. In fact, the slightest touch makes the tv wobble. Also, because I live in a rented apartment wall mounting is not an option(don't want to p.o. the landlord).

Maybe you could suggest another system?

Another system I've considered is the(please don't flame me)Bose Cinemate series II. I've heard the system and it sounded pretty good.

The Bose does sound good in the store, just not as good at home (I know from personal experience).

So instead of getting a Bose, why not buy a NON-wobbley TV stand and a Sony CT-150, that will cost less money that the Bose.

As far as mounting the CT-150 bar on top of your TV,,, the bar itself weighs like nothing, a few strips of velcro on top of the TV to the soundbar and your done,,,, its super easy.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1657 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

The Bose does sound good in the store, just not as good at home (I know from personal experience).

So instead of getting a Bose, why not buy a NON-wobbley TV stand and a Sony CT-150, that will cost less money that the Bose.

As far as mounting the CT-150 bar on top of your TV,,, the bar itself weighs like nothing, a few strips of velcro on top of the TV to the soundbar and your done,,,, its super easy.

Cheers
Davyo

It's not the stand that the tv sits on. I have a Standout Designs Majestic Twin which is solid as a rock. It's the pedestal stand that mounts to the tv which is not very sturdy.

I've also read that there are mounting brackets that mount to the back of the tv and then to the soundbar. If that is true, it may be an option.
post #1658 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

It's not the stand that the tv sits on. I have a Standout Designs Majestic Twin which is solid as a rock. It's the pedestal stand that mounts to the tv which is not very sturdy.

I've also read that there are mounting brackets that mount to the back of the tv and then to the soundbar. If that is true, it may be an option.

Yes,,, there are mounting brackets you can buy that will fit some TV's,, what TV do you have.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1659 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yes,,, there are mounting brackets you can buy that will fit some TV's,, what TV do you have.

Cheers
Davyo

Sony KDL-46NX720. If I don't come up with something soon, I'm gonna go bonkers and give up
post #1660 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

Sony KDL-46NX720. If I don't come up with something soon, I'm gonna go bonkers and give up

Here be the brackets you need,,,,, http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack...4587981&sr=8-1

Cheers
Davyo
post #1661 of 2094
CT150 or CT550? 150 is on sale at BB but not sure if I the wireless/2.1 is worth the price difference.
post #1662 of 2094
will this work for a Samsung DLP or just LCD/Plasma(the Brackets)
post #1663 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

will this work for a Samsung DLP or just LCD/Plasma(the Brackets)

For a DLP set just mount the soundbar on top with a few strips of velcro holding it in place,,,,, very easy and works great.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1664 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

For a DLP set just mount the soundbar on top with a few strips of velcro holding it in place,,,,, very easy and works great.

Cheers
Davyo

yikes i can just picture that laying smashed on my floor.....does the polk 6000 need to be mounted or is it also shelf standing?
post #1665 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

yikes i can just picture that laying smashed on my floor.....does the polk 6000 need to be mounted or is it also shelf standing?

Back in the day when I have RPTV's, DLP or LCD I would always mount a center channel speaker or a soundbar on the top of the TV, a few strips of velcro or double sided tape works great.

If you mount it correctly nothing is going to come smashing down onto the floor and its pretty hard not to mount it correctly.

Like every other soundbar on the planet, the Polk 6000 can either be wall mounted or put on a shelf.

The Polk bar and the Sony bar both are very lightweight, mounting them on top of your DLP is beyond easy.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1666 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Here be the brackets you need,,,,, http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack...4587981&sr=8-1

Cheers
Davyo

Hi Davyo
Thanx for all your help. I'm ordering the 150 tomorrow and I've got the mounting thing all figured out. It's gonna cost me a few $$ more but I like it better than the brackets you suggested(hope you're not offended).

I'm also hoping I can count on you if I run into any problems getting the system set up.

Thanks again.
post #1667 of 2094
I just placed the order for the 150. Should have it by Thursday or Friday.

More to come............
post #1668 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

Hi Davyo
Thanx for all your help. I'm ordering the 150 tomorrow and I've got the mounting thing all figured out. It's gonna cost me a few $$ more but I like it better than the brackets you suggested(hope you're not offended).

I'm also hoping I can count on you if I run into any problems getting the system set up.

Thanks again.

Cool,, enjoy the Sony 150, it and the 350 are great little systems.

If you need any set-up help I will be glad to help,, but the real Sony expert around these parts is "Possumgirl",, thats who I look too for advice with the Sonys.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1669 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

(For those of you that know of my soundbar adventures)

Well, I got another CT-350, I could not pass it up, not for $199.99 new in the box.

I was in my local Best Buy and just for fun asked them if they had any more CT-350's left,, they checked their computer and to my total shock they had one new one back in the wharehouse (it took them a while to even find it).

Yes, I had returned two CT-350's I had purchased due to lip sync issue's last month but since those returns I have purchased a new Samsung BD player that seem's to have more control over lip sync than my Panasonic BD player had,,, Im hoping that perhaps the lip sync issue's I had with my other CT's was the fault of my Panasonic BD player,,, or Im hoping that the new Samsung player will be able to fix any sync issue's "IF" I do have them again with the new'est CT-350.

Best Buy told me the "one" CT-350 they had was the very last one in the whole region of all their store's and the $199.99 price would expire tomorrow,, so I guess it was fate that I happen to walk in and nabbed the very last CT-350 available,, and at that price there was no way I could say no.

Anyhow, I firgured I would post this little story to say if your looking for a CT-350 it might not be a bad idea to call your local BestBuy and ask them to search the inventory of all their surrounding store's,,, ya just might luck out like I did.

Cheers
Davyo

I recently decided to purchase the new HT-CT550W Sony 3D sound bar. Having had experience with the old Sony CT-100 I knew exactly what I was looking for and what I might expect from a Sony "sound bar" system. I compared the CT-550W and the CT-350 at my local Sony store and was amazed at the difference--based upon the 550W mixed reviews and its 2.1 spec. Using the same settings and Blu-ray sound track--the 550W really outperformed the 350 in both volume and deep SW bass. Somehow Sony figured out how to make the 550W 2.1 really work in this system. (In all fairness, the CT-350 was on the close-out section and therefore I am sure had been operating as a demo for many months) Either way, I think the 550W is getting some poor "comparative" reviews because some people are simply not setting it up correctly. E.g., use a newer high speed HDMI cable 1.3 a,b,c or 1.4 ( not optical) to get the full benefits of this system. Also, I don't get this "tinny" sound from this sound bar that some reported as well..not sure whats going on there.

Anyone else on this forum had a positive experience with the HT-CT550W?
post #1670 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I recently decided to purchase the new HT-CT550W Sony 3D sound bar. Having had experience with the old Sony CT-100 I knew exactly what I was looking for and what I might expect from a Sony "sound bar" system. I compared the CT-550W and the CT-350 at my local Sony store and was amazed at the difference--based upon the 550W mixed reviews and its 2.1 spec. Using the same settings and Blu-ray sound track--the 550W really outperformed the 350 in both volume and deep SW bass. Somehow Sony figured out how to make the 550W 2.1 really work in this system. (In all fairness, the CT-350 was on the close-out section and therefore I am sure had been operating as a demo for many months) Either way, I think the 550W is getting some poor "comparative" reviews because some people are simply not setting it up correctly. E.g., use a newer high speed HDMI cable 1.3 a,b,c or 1.4 ( not optical) to get the full benefits of this system. Also, I don't get this "tinny" sound from this sound bar that some reported as well..not sure whats going on there.

Anyone else on this forum had a positive experience with the HT-CT550W?

Comparing the 550 and the 350 at the Sony store is also not fair unless you know exactly how the 350 was hooked up and were able to adjust the settings yourself,,,, Im sure the folks at the Sony store dont want the 350 sounding better or as good as their new 550.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1671 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Comparing the 550 and the 350 at the Sony store is also not fair unless you know exactly how the 350 was hooked up and were able to adjust the settings yourself,,,, Im sure the folks at the Sony store dont want the 350 sounding better or as good as their new 550.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo: Thanks for your response. I did take the time to work with both systems at the store--maybe too much time and verified as much as I could similar conditions/settings/cables and same blu-ray content/soundtrack.

When I first listened to the 550W at the Sony Store and BB the 550W sounded really bad. I went back a week later to the Sony Store with the intention to find a CT350 based upon favorable reviews. I ended up staying there for some time configuring and testing the 550W and the CT350. In the end I even surprised myself and bought the 550W. ( admittedly the in-store CT350 box had been up and running every day for who knows how long)

Now that I have it home and hooked up I'm glad I made the decision ( I would have preferred to have brought home both systems to compare in my own environment--but like everywhere else they don't sell the CT350 any more).

After reading your many posts on this subject, I'm really interested to hear your opinion on the two if you ever get a chance to check the 550W at one of your local stores. Somehow Sony made the 2.1 work pretty well and sound great IMO.
post #1672 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Davyo: Thanks for your response. I did take the time to work with both systems at the store--maybe too much time and verified as much as I could similar conditions/settings/cables and same blu-ray content/soundtrack.

When I first listened to the 550W at the Sony Store and BB the 550W sounded really bad. I went back a week later to the Sony Store with the intention to find a CT350 based upon favorable reviews. I ended up staying there for some time configuring and testing the 550W and the CT350. In the end I even surprised myself and bought the 550W. ( admittedly the in-store CT350 box had been up and running every day for who knows how long)

Now that I have it home and hooked up I'm glad I made the decision ( I would have preferred to have brought home both systems to compare in my own environment--but like everywhere else they don't sell the CT350 any more).

After reading your many posts on this subject, I'm really interested to hear your opinion on the two if you ever get a chance to check the 550W at one of your local stores. Somehow Sony made the 2.1 work pretty well and sound great IMO.

Well it sounds like you did everything correct in checking out and comparing the 2 systems,,, glad to hear the 550 is winner for you,,,,, and yes,,, you have perked my interest in wanting to demo the 550.

I will make sure to give the 550 a listen in the near furture.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1673 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Well it sounds like you did everything correct in checking out and comparing the 2 systems,,, glad to hear the 550 is winner for you,,,,, and yes,,, you have perked my interest in wanting to demo the 550.

I will make sure to give the 550 a listen in the near furture.

Cheers
Davyo

Great! Hopefully your local stores do a better job of setting up their 550W Sound Bar demo then my local BB and Sony Store did. If not, ask for the remote!
post #1674 of 2094
Has anyone ever made this feature work with a Samsung TV?

Before I waste a lot of time trying to find all the settings on the 150 and the remote setup to make my Harmony remote handle it... I thought i'd ask if anyone has been able to do this.
post #1675 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post
I think you identified the culprit You should be able to get everything the way you want using the Harmony.
Just a follow up to "Thank You", Possumgirl. It took forever to find the CEC setting on my Samsung TV, because it's buried under Wiselink [with no options shown unless you select it, unlike other settings], but after turning it "Off", I finally got most of my setup problems resolved.

Still looking for a way to use the "Sleep" function on the TV or the AV with the Harmony [not sure I'll ever get that]; and work out settings to still control volume for direct coax input to the TV [bypassing the AV]. May eventually have to get another cable to run it through the AV coax.

Thanks again for ALL of your help in this forum!
post #1676 of 2094
Hello to all, after reading and research, I will jump on the CT-550 Wagon, I hope it
will not dissapoint, so for now I'll patiently wait for arrival.
FYI
CT-550W dropped to $255. at the nerds on ebay
post #1677 of 2094
Hey davyo, I was wondering how high you turn the volume on your Sony ct350 when playing blurays and games. I do both on my ps3 with it set at linear PCM. Games are pretty loud at 30 but movies tend to be around 35-40. Is this normal with your bar or anybody else's? Opinions are appreciated, thanks
post #1678 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Davyo: Thanks for your response. I did take the time to work with both systems at the store--maybe too much time and verified as much as I could similar conditions/settings/cables and same blu-ray content/soundtrack.

When I first listened to the 550W at the Sony Store and BB the 550W sounded really bad. I went back a week later to the Sony Store with the intention to find a CT350 based upon favorable reviews. I ended up staying there for some time configuring and testing the 550W and the CT350. In the end I even surprised myself and bought the 550W. ( admittedly the in-store CT350 box had been up and running every day for who knows how long)

Now that I have it home and hooked up I'm glad I made the decision ( I would have preferred to have brought home both systems to compare in my own environment--but like everywhere else they don't sell the CT350 any more).

After reading your many posts on this subject, I'm really interested to hear your opinion on the two if you ever get a chance to check the 550W at one of your local stores. Somehow Sony made the 2.1 work pretty well and sound great IMO.

How good is the surround effect? Can it play loudly with headroom? How is the bass? I have the ct350 and was thinkin of getting the 550w I it sound great.
post #1679 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23237 View Post

Hey davyo, I was wondering how high you turn the volume on your Sony ct350 when playing blurays and games. I do both on my ps3 with it set at linear PCM. Games are pretty loud at 30 but movies tend to be around 35-40. Is this normal with your bar or anybody else's? Opinions are appreciated, thanks

Im not pushin the volume as much as I would like as I live in a condo and share a common wall with a neighbor,,,, but Im sure the CT-350 could go loud enough for me to get a visit from the police after a noise complaint from my neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23237 View Post

How good is the surround effect? Can it play loudly with headroom? How is the bass? I have the ct350 and was thinkin of getting the 550w I it sound great.

The surround effect from the 350 is very very good,, but you should have your BD player set to output "bitstream" and also having walls on the sides and behind you to reflect the sound makes a big difference.

Cheers
Davyo
post #1680 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Im not pushin the volume as much as I would like as I live in a condo and share a common wall with a neighbor,,,, but Im sure the CT-350 could go loud enough for me to get a visit from the police after a noise complaint from my neighbor



The surround effect from the 350 is very very good,, but you should have your BD player set to output "bitstream" and also having walls on the sides and behind you to reflect the sound makes a big difference.

Cheers
Davyo

Thanks for the input davyo, I appreciate it. Why should it be on bitstream rather than linear PCM? Wouldn't linear PCM provide lossless sound and the highest possible quality sound while bitstream would be just sending Dolby digital or dts? Or lossy? Please let me know, thanks kindly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Sony HT-CT150 and CT350