This is my first post on avsforum.
I'm thinking about purchasing a Sony HT-CT150 or HT-CT550 (favorite) to set up a bedroom home theater.
I have the following devices:
(1) LG 42LW5700 HDTV (it has 4 HDMI ports and ARC is supported in HDMI1)
(2) Cable Box
(3) LG BD-670 Blu Ray player
(4) Roku 2 XS
(5) Apple TV 2
(6) 2008 MacBook Pro (used as a media server and connected to the HDTV through a Monoprice DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter)
(7) 2011 MacBook Pro (direct HDMI connection)
I know both the CT150 and the CT550 have the same input ports (including 2 digital/optical input ports -one for the TV and one for the Cable box).
I plan on setting it up as follows:
* Connect items (2) (3) and (4) to the CT150/550
* Connect the CT150/550 to the HDMI1 port on (1), which supports ARC.
* Connect items (5) (6) and (7) to ports HDMI2, HDMI3 and HDMI4 on (1).
So here are the questions:
- Do I have to connect the optical cable from the HDTV to the CT150/550 to get surround sound from items (5) (6) and (7)?
- The second optical port on the CT150/550 is left empty... can I use it to connect an AirPort Express through an optical cable? Does the optical port work independently or is it linked to the CATV HDMI port on the CT150/550?
I will appreciate any advise