Finally, time for an update. So – what has gone on since the last time I posted? Summer has come and gone, the1 year mark of the build has passed, and a little bit of work has been done.
What’s been done:
The rest of the OSB was installed as the first layer
Insulation was installed in the rest of the basement
The equipment room had some work done in it. All of the telephone/Internet/TV connections have been moved here from where they were beside the electrical panel.
I also added a cool cube just in front of the rack to take hot air away.
Then we started installing the drywall. 5/8” in the theater and ½” everywhere else. Obligatory green glue shot.
It took us 5 days over two weekends to install all of the drywall. 2 days for the theater and 3 for the rest of the basement.
After the drywall was installed everyone needed a break and I was going to use this time to get the seams mudded and taped. Not much was done until half way through November. However, I did start a bit of work on the doors. My plan is to add a ¾” piece of MDF to both of the doors in the theater. Because they are panel style doors I wanted to fill in the detail. My first attempt was to use Great Stuff foam. I filled the panels and let it cure.
Then trimmed it flush.
This didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. I will make sure all of the gaps are filled with green glue before putting on the MDF. For the second door I decided to use some left over acoustical sealant I have. I filled the panels again and left it to dry. This worked much better.
In September and October I had called a few contractors to get some quotes for mudding and taping. For various reasons I couldn’t find anyone to do the work so decided to do it myself. My parents have been giving me tones of help with installing the drywall and mudding/taping which I am very grateful for. We started in the theater since most of the walls will be covered it till allow us to hone our skills. Again it took us 2 weekends. The first for the tape coat, the second for the second coat and 2 coats of primer.
Then I painted the front wall black.
The theater will be taking a break again until after Christmas as we concentrate on getting the rest of the basement ready for paint.