or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Crestron Prodigy, can be setup by DIY?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crestron Prodigy, can be setup by DIY?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Want to automate a home theater setup with Denon 4310, electrical screen, projector, 8 lights and audio in the main zone and 2 other zones. All equipment is already installed, only need to add the HA.

Would like to include an iPod for music.

Researching systems, I came across the Prodigy. Main selling points seems "affordable" and "easy to setup".

Traditionally, Crestron is not open for DIY. Was wondering if the Prodigy system would be different or is also dealer-only install. Is important as I'm an expat living in Taiwan and CI's here are very hard to find, only focused on very high budget projects.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 11
Sorry, it's still a product that requires programming software that is dealer only.
post #3 of 11
I learned from a Crestron dealer that the company requires dealer or custom installer status for programming Prodigy systems. Big disappointment as I was about to purchase a system.

Can anybody suggest any other options for the DIYer? I want IP control, several IR outputs, 2 RS-232 outputs, perhaps a few relays and contact sensors, iPhone/iPad 2-way control, HVAC control, etc. It is not clear on sites like Control4, Global Cache, Savant, etc. whether the controllers can be programmed by the end user. I currently use an MX-3000 RF setup to control components in a back room. OK but no 2-way, HVAC, etc.

Thank you.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3space View Post

It is not clear on sites like Control4, Global Cache, Savant, etc. whether the controllers can be programmed by the end user.

Control4 and Savant are dealer only.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Was still researching the Prodigy and I'm getting some help and advice from a dealer. However when I was about to order, Crestron seemed to have changed the focus of the product line.

A lot of the Prodigy products are being replaced by (what it seems) better ones. That would be great, but now my dealer is telling me I have to wait until late June to get a PMC2+ Prodigy system (the one with the PTX3 color screen remote).

He also states the current system (PMC2 with PLX2) will not work with new to be introduced products so buying the current one is not a good option for me as I want to start simple and build the system step by step over time.

Seems a bit strange to release a product and then change the line-up completely within one year.

Can someone confirm this?
post #6 of 11
He is giving you good advice but your conclusions seem to be overreaching ("change the line-up completely within one year").

When the processor was brought to market I believe a chip was not ready and they therefore had to use the current generation at that time. Now that chip is available and they are incorporating it into the new processor. This has resulted in an ongoing line change, and allows them to now offer the processor with the new RF color remote at a breakthrough price.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post

He is giving you good advice but your conclusions seem to be overreaching ("change the line-up completely within one year").

When the processor was brought to market I believe a chip was not ready and they therefore had to use the current generation at that time. Now that chip is available and they are incorporating it into the new processor. This has resulted in an ongoing line change, and allows them to now offer the processor with the new RF color remote at a breakthrough price.

Thanks for the answer.

The new system looks very good so I will wait for it. One last question: June as a tentative delivery date is realistic?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghai2004 View Post

Thanks for the answer.

The new system looks very good so I will wait for it. One last question: June as a tentative delivery date is realistic?

I don't know how long it takes for a product to reach your country but they just recently started taking orders for the new processor here in the US so I would guess that is a realistic date, hopefully even conservative.
post #9 of 11
Yes its available. I just received 2 packages today.
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Just received one as well, ordered additional one directly from USA. Guess I'm very poor at waiting.

Now the fun part begins...
post #11 of 11
Hi, is your Crestron Pordigy running in Taipei?

I am in Taipei and looking to do the same.
Can I get some help from you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Automation
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home Automation › Crestron Prodigy, can be setup by DIY?