or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 325
I just call LG to fix my horizontal noise line problems.

They don't know what is defective player, electrical, or tv itself. They told me they will come again with other Plasma TV and Test it side by side under same environment. If problem only exist on my set, then my set is surely defective.

I got a lot of noise line on every input. I believe my set is defective some kind, maybe the main board in tv, input fault. let's see when they come with other tv to test.

I just spot the line and it out of exchange period. See it when playing Forza3 , very noticable even LG guy can see it easily.

It's very annoying, I don't think I can live with it. It distort image without noticable, PQ became grainy, edge breaking.
post #122 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

You should be able to call LG Service, and find out what the repair person did to your set.

Gracias.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
post #123 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummer View Post

from cnet:Panasonic has indicated that it has modified its 2010 line of plasma TVs to introduce a "more gradual change in black level over time." We have yet to test any 2010 Panasonic plasma--the company promises to deliver a review sample in the next couple of weeks--but when we do we will also conduct long-terms tests as best we can. We are also exploring a long-term test regimen for other TV products, but can't promise anything yet.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post18194524
2010 Panasonic plasmas DO have the black level rise. It is more gradual, but they do rise.
By the way, you should post this on one of the the (many) threads about this, not here.
post #124 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

In part to respond to the rather peurile bashing of the 350, I wanted to post my two cents re the 350 versus Panny's C2. I replaced lcds in two bedrooms with these sets. The LG 350 is in our master bedroom within an armoire and the C2 is in a spare bedroom mounted on the wall. Both have reasonable light during the day.

Other than screen reflection, both offer a much better viewing experience than the Sony W series and Samsung 6 Series I paid nearly double for. In bright rooms, a matte screen lcd is hard to beat unless the plasma has excellent AR coating like the 9G kuro I have and the sammy 860.

Both tvs have under 100 hours and I have been a bit tepid about contrast to minimize the chance my wife leaves a 4:3 image on.

The LG has a very sexy single pane design. The Panny has two panes of glass, which creates a shadow image if you are close and at a slight angle. The Panny's bezel is rather pedestrian and lacks the swivel featre of the 350.

To get the bad out of the way, both are reflective. The 350 is a like a mirror with lighting in a direct path of viewing. I would venture to say I could nearly shave in front of it with bright lights and a black screen. The Panasonic is also reflective, but not as bad. That said, the double pane design is disappointing.

The second flaw for the LG is image retention. While it's not a concern when smartly used, it is a lot more noticeable than the Panasonic.

Black levels are slightly better on the 350 once it adjusts. Before mounting the C2, I placed it next to the 350 and compared black screens. the 350 is slightly darker.

Many folks ask about the pixels for a 720p set. The c2's pixels are less noticeable upon close viewing. The 350's are visible within four to five feet when actively looking for them. I will also mention that I have one dead blue sub pixel on my 350. It is noticeable on the FBI warning screen of movies, but only because I know to look for it. It seems LG's quality control for pixels leaves a bit of room for improvement.

In respects of colors, I personally think the LG has more pop. That said, both blow awat the Sony and Samsung LCDs I had before.

In respects of blu ray playback, it appears the 350 is applying 3:3 with a 72hz framerate. The C2 is 60hz only best I can tell.

In terms of tweaking, the LG has one of the best setup/adjustment menus I have seen in a tv anywhere near this price range. It is truly amazing how many adjustments it offers for a $500 tv. My 9G kuro has probably one tenth of the adjustments the 350 does.

Now, which set do i prefer and which set do i recommend? for casual viewers who want a very good picture at a bargain price, the c2 offers excellent image quality and a set a bit more resistant to image retention that might bother unexperienced plasma owners. It's easy to set up and get using with limited tweaking options. It's the tv I would recommend for my mother. It's a toyota camry or honda accord.

The 350 is a smart-looking set that offers a surpisingly good picture and tweakability at a bargain price. At the $500 mark, you'd struggle to find a 32" lcd from a big name. Despite a few quirks, it offers you a picture that could rival a 40" lcd that costs twice as much. in trite car analogies, it's the volkswagen jetta. It's a hell of a lot of fun, but you know there are going to be a few little kinks.

Oh, and once again, I stopped gaming when i graduated from college. Input lag and hug image retention are things I'll have to worry about with kids in ten years.

Thanks for the very informative comparison, Winston. I'm leaning towards the 350 and you've put to rest my last lingering thoughts of getting a Panasonic. (I'll take a Jetta over a Camry any day ) While you're doing comparisons, do you have any idea how the 350 compares to the 550? I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth spending an extra $200 for the 550. I don't really care about the 1080p as I'm one of those who can't really tell the difference. But I'm wondering whether there are big differences in black levels, color accuracy, and other PQ factors. I'm planning on getting a 50" TV if that matters.
post #125 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

You should be able to call LG Service, and find out what the repair person did to your set.

Well, he called me back and left a message to the effect that he reconnected the (what sounded like) "sustain" cable. I guess this is part of the power supply?

All I know is it works and looks beautiful, just like before.
post #126 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy1104 View Post

Well, he called me back and left a message to the effect that he reconnected the (what sounded like) "sustain" cable. I guess this is part of the power supply?

All I know is it works and looks beautiful, just like before.

That is great to hear. I hope that is the last time it needs to be worked on.

I did a google search, and came across the following service LG Pdf, which would appear to cover what happened to your unit.

http://www.eletronicosforum.com/curs...A_training.pdf
post #127 of 325
Thanks for that link, Greenland.

Now I know he was saying sustain. I played that message 3 times and kept telling myself "he can't be calling that a sustain cable".
post #128 of 325
New owner of 50pj350

Hello i have a 50pg60 which died after a year, lg not have the model, lucky for me and refund to bought a new tv, i´m my country only panasonic and LG in plasma of 50 inch, I prefer this over panasonic c2 and x1, better color for me and no jaggies when I saw in the store.

in comparison with the pq60, this one not have the IR problem i can´t see nothing even with the menu, better color (my sister also said this one look better).
post #129 of 325
Sorry if i seem a little lost here, but is the lip sync issue on the 42PJ350 correctable? i read every post in this thread, and it seems like it is, if changed in the service menu. But i'm still a little lost in how to ACCESS that service menu. I'm not really concerned about an input lag, as far as game playing. In fact, it could be a 5 second lag for all i care, so long as the audio/video sync up correctly when watching through HDMI (the only input i use). Any help explaining what to do to someone who's a little daft when it comes to doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and yes, i do actually own the 42PJ350, and notice the audio/video syn problem through HDMI, and want it corrected. If can't be, i may return it in favor of the Samsung 430, available on Amazon. Thanks.

Paul
post #130 of 325
Paul,

I don't understand about the lip sync problem. I have a Pioneer DVD player and cable box connected by HDMI along with a series 2 TiVo connected by composite and have never noticed the sound being out of sync with the video with any of the connections. Could it be your particular set is defective in some way?
post #131 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiconline View Post

Sorry if i seem a little lost here, but is the lip sync issue on the 42PJ350 correctable? i read every post in this thread, and it seems like it is, if changed in the service menu. But i'm still a little lost in how to ACCESS that service menu. I'm not really concerned about an input lag, as far as game playing. In fact, it could be a 5 second lag for all i care, so long as the audio/video sync up correctly when watching through HDMI (the only input i use). Any help explaining what to do to someone who's a little daft when it comes to doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and yes, i do actually own the 42PJ350, and notice the audio/video syn problem through HDMI, and want it corrected. If can't be, i may return it in favor of the Samsung 430, available on Amazon. Thanks.

Paul

LG is still having Lip Sync issue? I am an owner of last years model 50PQ30 and it suffers from this & many others reported it over on the owners' thread. Now I just use my HTiB and end of issue.
post #132 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

LG is still having Lip Sync issue? I am an owner of last years model 50PQ30 and it suffers from this & many others reported it over on the owners' thread. Now I just use my HTiB and end of issue.


I haven't notice a problem with DVD player via/HDMI, cable box via/HDMI, DVD via/component and RCA stereo audio, or game via rca video/audio inputs on my 42pj350.
post #133 of 325
I suppose there's a chance it could be my particular set, but it would be TWO in a row. The first i had to return because the screen was damaged. It had the same lip sync issue. If you read my post again, it's a problem that has been recognized by other posters, but i don't quite understand the suggested solution (assuming there is one).

Different sources make it worse than others. All go through my HK receiver, HDMI all the way to the TV. I didn't have this problem with my last TV, which was a Sony HD CRT. Usually, it's pretty subtle, but definitely enough to be noticeable. That said, my mother probably wouldn't notice. But with her, she can't see the difference between DVD and blu-ray. Seriously, she can't. So, it might not be something you care about enough to notice. Or your source has a li sync issue the other direction. Or its hooked up differently. There could be a host of reasons.

In any case, it's always there, and really frustrating, since this is now the second set i had to trade in, for a different reason. I probably should have just ditched it when i got rid of the last one, and bought the Samsung then.

I'm hope someone here has a solution for me. Thanks.
post #134 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiconline View Post

I suppose there's a chance it could be my particular set, but it would be TWO in a row. The first i had to return because the screen was damaged. It had the same lip sync issue. If you read my post again, it's a problem that has been recognized by other posters, but i don't quite understand the suggested solution (assuming there is one).

Different sources make it worse than others. All go through my HK receiver, HDMI all the way to the TV. I didn't have this problem with my last TV, which was a Sony HD CRT. Usually, it's pretty subtle, but definitely enough to be noticeable. That said, my mother probably wouldn't notice. But with her, she can't see the difference between DVD and blu-ray. Seriously, she can't. So, it might not be something you care about enough to notice. Or your source has a li sync issue the other direction. Or its hooked up differently. There could be a host of reasons.

In any case, it's always there, and really frustrating, since this is now the second set i had to trade in, for a different reason. I probably should have just ditched it when i got rid of the last one, and bought the Samsung then.

I'm hope someone here has a solution for me. Thanks.

curious, if you go from DVD and/ or Blue Ray w/o the receiver, do you experience this problem? Do you hear the words after or before the lip movement? Can you adjust the audio timing on the receiver?
post #135 of 325
Let me preface my comment by noting that I am not an AVS type videophile; I do not buy a few hundred dollars worth of electronics to measure black levels and I do not calculate the number of pixels my set has so I can sit a specific distance from it.

Last night I spent some time watching my two HDMI sources looking for the problem.

DVD player - no problem whatsoever.

Cable box - on some channels, some of the time, I think I noticed a very subtle effect as you describe.

What I may have noticed is so insignificant I cannot see people describing this as a known problem they believe is common to all LG plasmas. If this were there most of the time and truly noticeable it would drive me nuts. Okay, nuttier than I already am.

And unlike your mom, I can see the difference between Blu-ray and DVD easily and am currently saving up for the Oppo model 80 so I can enjoy that difference.

I hope someone will post how to fix your problem as it must be terribly frustrating to deal with, but trust me, this is not a universal problem with LG plasmas. Good luck.
post #136 of 325
I picked up one of these last week, and so far it is great. Just letting it break it now before adjusting colors. I did turn down the contrast out of the box since it was set at 100. I was able to find it for under $425 at Sears/Kmart outlet store. Looks great and our room has alot of light and it still has very little glare to it. Would buy again rather then spend $400 for a used Vizio or Panny. Panny was next on my list but I could not pass up this price for all the features that comes on the tv.
post #137 of 325
Perhaps people in this thread will be biased towards LG if they own a PJ350, but I do still want to ask.....

Been reading a lot on different forums and the general consensus seems to be that LG makes inferior plasmas compared to Panasonic. There is also talk that customer service from Panasonic is far superior compared to LG.

I'd really like to hear what people think about this. Does Panasonic have the superior reputation because they make more plasma models (and of course sell more too) or is it simply because people keep hearing that Panasonic is better and they just go with the crowd?

I'm going to Sears tomorrow to compare the C2 & PJ350. I love the look of the LG but at the same time PQ is always king.
post #138 of 325
Well, after suffering long enough with my fiance's 30" Philips tube set long enough, I took the plunge and brought the 42pj350 home Friday night. Let me preface this entire review by giving a little background here. I have worked for both Ultimate Electronics and American TV for a total of 4 years in the past and spend literally hundreds of hours looking at pictures on TV screens, adjusting them, using AVIA discs, etc... so I have a relatively solid base for judging picture quality here. I've loved Pioneer Elite projection sets and plasmas and sold many projection Mitsubishi sets on the basis of quality of the picture.

So...I set the set home and unbox it. Seven screws later, It's on the swiveling stand (yes, swivel stand on a $500 TV) and has taken the place of the bain of my television existence - the 30" tube. The only source I immediately have to try the set on is the composite Dish Network standard def feed, which really bummed me out. But, color me surprised when the channels, for the most part, look quite good from our 9' seating distance. Honestly, the little LG processes standard definition quite ok. After some quick picture adjustments (which I will talk about later), I start to surf around to find stuff to watch. NFL network has a game on - perfect for checking motion processing of a crappy 480i feed. Flawless. It looked damn good. I put the set in cinema zoom 1 (my fiance has had her old set in the same type of stretch/zoom ratio on her other set for years on standard def) and the picture quality is again more than passable for the signal. The deep blacks (compared to LCD sets I have owned) really allow the other colors on screen to pop nicely, even with contrast and color turned down. So far, standard def is a win.

Next night, it's time for some blu-ray lovin'. I drag my HTPC out from the bedroom and plug the HDMI in...presto...we've got an actually very readable desktop in front of us. I didn't even set the resolution to the native of the panel, I left it at the native for my 32" LCD in the bedroom and it was amazingly clear. The blu ray du jour of the evening is the biggest movie ever - the recently released Avatar. I get a warning about needing to update my player, which sucks because I don't have a network drop in the living room, but I decide to press on and take a chance. Holy hell..the 3 minutes of the movie that played looked fantastic. Compared to the 32" Olevia we have been watching movies on in the bedroom, this is a different world. Rich colors, sharp detail, noise free playback (no crawling dots like I have experienced on fairly recent Panasonic and Samsung plasmas) that looked amazing at our seating distance. After she is in bed, I break out the Xbox 360. Forza 3, Grid, and Left 4 Dead all look better than they ever have in this house. The kids have a 32" Vizio 1080p set in their room that we normally play on, but again, the deep black of plasma technology just pops the other colors off the screen. I felt like I needed to wipe the red from one of the Ferraris off of the screen because it just looked that wet. So far, so good with hi-def signals.

We spent much of Sunday (today) with cheezy sci-fi moves on SyFy network playing. My first foray into daytime viewing. I can't really complain. Yes, it is a giant piece of glass and does reflect things. News flash...tube tvs that we have been watching for 50 years are glass, too. We have a window to the left of the television and it wasn't a distraction at all. On a black screen, yes, you can see reflections. I can't see them as a distraction to most normal viewers. Our viewing is predominately night-time, but I will not limit daytime viewing because of a little reflection between commercials. It certainly is less distraction than the double reflections of my parents' 50" Panasonic with it's supposed AR coating. Reflections on that set turn into prismatic star shapes that apparently reflect off of 2 pieces of glass on the front of the set. After dinner, I drag the antenna out of the bedroom and rig it up for the misses to watch Desperate Housewives. Over the air HD looks stunning. It's truly amazing what 720p looks like on a 720p set. Yes, the native broadcast signal on ABC is 720p and it looks very, very good. I see no reason to spend twice the money at this screen size for 1080p and it's a damn shame that retailers are selling the 'you just HAVE to have 1080p' bill of goods to so many consumers when they would be blown away by the little LG that could. I'm a tough customer and have the box in the other room in case this set was going to perform like a $500 42" tv. It absolutely did not.

As far as picture adjustments go, it didn't take long to see what looked good, but I will AVIA this thing this week. I used Cinema as the starting point for out-of-the-box adjustments. Contrast is around 75, Brightness 50, sharpness turned way down at 30. I also set the color temp slightly cool - it looks good there with the Color Gamut set to Wide. Speaking of color..if you set the gamut to wide - turn the color itself down to compensate. I've got the dynamic contrast on low right now and it seems to work well. Normally, I would shut every picture feature off and go from there, but with the black level setting at dark, the low setting is in no way heavy handed in crushing shadow detail from what I can see so far. I turned the edge enhancement off, the dynamic color off (stange enough, this feature actually reduced saturation when turned on???) and the gamma is set at medium right now. True, there are much more detailed settings in the ISF modes, but I've got nothing but time to mess with them and the picture so far is quite good. Colors come off as damn accurate and that plasma black sets them off.

Inputs on the set are plentiful with no less than 5 HD inputs (3 HDMI, 2 component), an RGB 15 pin PC input, and composite for legacy devices. The set does lack S-video inputs or analog audio output - 2 things that can be forgiven for an entry level set like this one. Plasma buzz? Nope. Just a slight high-pitch noise that is less noticeable than what the CRT it replaced emitted. Image retention? Have not seen this happen yet. My parents also have a 50" Samsung (2008 model) and the IR is just unforgivable. 20 seconds in the DirecTV menu shouldn't leave an image up for 3 minutes after. I have been looking for it and didn't even see any after my unsuspecting fiance paused the DVR for something like 20 minutes before I woke up the other morning. The remote control and menus are both well laid out and intuitive. The remote is light years ahead of what Panasonic is sending out with their televisions. I swear they are off the same assembly line as their tube tv remotes from 10 years ago, which sucked big time, too.

Honestly, I'm a critical guy with this kind of stuff and expected much less from this panel. I used to run movie theaters in my younger years and have the consumer electronics background to boot. That is a perfect storm of criticism for almost any television that I watch. For a $500 street product (hell, even Sears is pushing this thing for about that price at brick and mortar) I can wholeheartedly recommend it at this screen size. Black levels are quite good, colors bright and accurate, and no screen door effect to speak of outside of 3 feet.

For those seeking a bargain in entry level plasma land - look no further.
post #139 of 325
I took some quick pictures of the set displaying OTA HD...make of it what you will. The camera doesn't really do the image justice, but this thread could use some screen shots. LOL















post #140 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

Been reading a lot on different forums and the general consensus seems to be that LG makes inferior plasmas compared to Panasonic.

How many professional reviews of these $500 720ps have you seen? I don't think one can say since some panny other models are "better" then LGs, then ALL of their sets will be better.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

There is also talk that customer service from Panasonic is far superior compared to LG.

I haven't had good cusmoter service from a national company since the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

I'd really like to hear what people think about this. Does Panasonic have the superior reputation because they make more plasma models (and of course sell more too) or is it simply because people keep hearing that Panasonic is better and they just go with the crowd?

I've said before there can be some group think going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

I'm going to Sears tomorrow to compare the C2 & PJ350. I love the look of the LG but at the same time PQ is always king.

I don't think you will find any appreciable difference in PQ between the two.
post #141 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy1104 View Post

My 42 is once again working perfectly.

I was not home when he came but my brother was there for him. The tech apparently knew the cause of the problem beforehand as it took him little time to fix it. He left a copy of the work order but writes worse than my doctor so I really have no idea what he did.

Happy camper once again.

This gentleman just recently experienced prompt and effective service, on his set, from LG.

Lots of people are complaining about getting brushed off, when they call Panasonic customer service, about their floating blacks, degrading black levels, and increasing IR problems, as their sets age.
post #142 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

How many professional reviews of these $500 720ps have you seen? I don't think one can say since some panny other models are "better" then LGs, then ALL of their sets will be better.

Yeah..I've seen exactly zero review of the entry level plasmas anywhere except CR, and I wouldn't exactly call that a review. They just aren't as sexy as 1080p 3D LED sets for a reviewer. They are, however, the best bang for the buck around right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

I haven't had good cusmoter service from a national company since the 80s.

The burden for service has really been shifted to the retailer over the last 15 years. With many brick and mortar retailers servicing the televisions themselves, they deal with Panasonic or LG or whoever for you. Customer service with this type of item is usually a break/fix proposition and that's all. I pick up a $129 5 year in-home warranty and it doesn't matter what brand I buy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

I've said before there can be some group think going on.

Absolutely. Right on. I can't count how many people would wander in with their print out from Cnet or whatever, asking to see one of the entry level Panasonic plasmas because the online reviews were awesome. Well, Panasonic plasmas used to have an issue resolving skintones that those of us in the industry called 'clayface.' Also, the 4 year ago Vieras had some crappy silver plastic on the set...it looked cheap. The remote was the same piece of unintuitive crap that they still use today. It didn't matter. If Cnet comments on reviews said something positive - it was gospel. I challenge anyone to watch the entry level 720p and 1080p Panasonics on blu-ray and tell me that there isn't a heavy amount of noise in the background and strange 'dotting' in shadow details.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

I don't think you will find any appreciable difference in PQ between the two.

You will not. I compared the sets, along with the Samsung C450 set, no less than 8 times at lunch over a 2 month period. At this price point, I just don't see it. The only thing I can tell you is that the much more extensive menu adjustments for picture that the LG possesses and the infinitely more attractive appearance/profile are what put me over the top. Plus, Panasonic can't get past that cheesy menu and chintzy remote for the last 5 years. C'mon.
post #143 of 325
@johnf440,

I really find your words to be refreshing. I've been on here and the Highdef forum daily for roughly a month. The reason why I joined is because I'm contemplating a TV purchase for my bedroom. It's really really really annoying how the frequent contributors at Highdef pretty much keep telling me to "buy a Panasonic plasma" and they completely dismiss any alternative. Now while they might know what they are talking about, their absolute snob attitude towards anything not named Panasonic comes off as very elitist and ignorant. And while the black level problem with the Panasonic models may have been blown out of proportion, at the end of the day I still find the very principle that these sets have this problem to be perplexing to begin with. Perhaps you can shed some light and say that the Panasonic issue isn't really an issue or it is.

As for the 42pj350. Personally I really like the price point of this set combined with the bezel. Now I realize that PQ is always the most important factor, but I also have to say that Panasonic makes some seriously boring looking TV's. I know, this is going in my bedroom, it's really not a big deal, but some of the competition at the very least look to be making an effort to make the TV itself look pleasing to the consumers eye.

I also want to say something else about LG and their plasmas. I've encountered some serious flak both on this forum and at the Highdef forum about even considering the 42pj350. It's interesting to note that this model was rated as a "best buy" at CR. Also when it came to brand reliability the LG ranked last for plasmas however by last that meant 5% reported a need for repairs or serious problems (yes high), but what is considered the best plasma (Panasonic), was at 2%. So by the numbers Panasonic's should of course give you less of a chance of having issues, but when you say it's 2% vs. 5% it's not exactly a reasons to avoid LG entirely, and there are definitely people on this forum and Highdef that act that they should be. It's really off putting and ignorant IMO.

Lastly, do you have any experience with Sony's 40EX500? It received excellent marks from CR for both HD and SD PQ (the LG received "very good" in the same categories). I will be using the set for 70% movies, 20% sports, and 10% TV shows. Am I crazy to go LCD instead of plasma or can a really quality set like the Sony justify such a purchase? I should also point out that the Sony uses Motionflow and I believe that will eliminate motion blur for sports.
post #144 of 325
I do have some experience with the EX500 series Sony sets, as they were just coming out when I left consumer electronics retail a couple months ago. Personally, the black levels of those panels aren't there yet. Plus, the processing bugaboos that Sony uses to improve the picture can actually cause other issues. If you plan on watching this television mostly in the evening, as a bedroom tv, the deeper blacks of plasma would most likely serve you better. The 70% movie spread really tips the scales to plasma, in my opinion.

Keep in mind this Motionflow business is just Sony's way of saying 120hz/frame interpolation. 1/2 of that equation is complete BS with the soap opera effect, which leaves you with a standard 120hz set. You've got to spend some coin to get a decent LCD picture - and then it still won't be perfect. Colors will have a more natural look to them on the plasma, as compared to that set. It was pretty sad. We had the 42pj350 stuck in a row of 40" LCD sets and the showroom was pretty dark. Everytime a sales guy would walk a customer down that aisle, the blacks of the LG would draw the customer in. Trying to sell the customer on an LCD that pays more commission (even though EVERY salesperson on the floor owned a plasma), they would resort to the old 'you MUST have 1080p..everything is going to 1080p' or 'plasma is old technology.' They also hid the other 720p plasma sets from Panasonic and Samsung in clever places that would backfire on them from time to time.

As far as a 5% repair rate - I absolutely believe it. That has been the issue from day 1 where people take a plasma home and plug it directly into the wall or into some cheap ass surge protector and can't believe it when a component inside it is damaged. Plasmas require not just good surge protection, but also some type of line conditioning for ultimate longevity. The way that they create the picture relies on many different circuits working and drawing power perfectly. They pull some current...yes..but the PQ is worth it. People may poo poo me for this on here, but I ALWAYS use some kind of Monster power center with their clean power line conditioning. You can get a decent one for like $100 and most have a lifetime warranty against power damage on the equipment connected. Cheap insurance.

Keep in mind - every single 'advancement' in LCD technology has been trained at the idea of making the picture quality comparable to a plasma. No amount of mega-brightness LCD panels is going to change that fact. I would not shy away from the LG panel. It is a dead sexy set and possesses a very, very good picture to boot...for $500 street. Hell, take one home - try it out. Worst case scenario you have to pack it up and take it back. Best case scenario is you save $300 and keep the plasma - and love it.
post #145 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

@johnf440,

I really find your words to be refreshing. I've been on here and the Highdef forum daily for roughly a month. The reason why I joined is because I'm contemplating a TV purchase for my bedroom. It's really really really annoying how the frequent contributors at Highdef pretty much keep telling me to "buy a Panasonic plasma" and they completely dismiss any alternative. Now while they might know what they are talking about, their absolute snob attitude towards anything not named Panasonic comes off as very elitist and ignorant.

blairhh,
the same thing is happening here in the E.U. on some forums (U.K. and Italy, for example). But my opinion is that a lot of people has bought a panasonic plasma only because they have "heard".. "read".. without using their brain and eyes. And many of them don't have a clue about plasma HDTVs and the AV world. For expert people it is easy to discover that thing... just read questions and answers (and comments, like they were at the stadium) they are doing.

Panasonic is a big company and they are doing tons of different products. Some of them are very good, I own many, but when 15 months ago I bought a 720p plasma display, after having read all the reviews about them (Panasonic, Samsung and LG) and used my eyes to watch at them and my brain, my final choice was an LG. That was the first LG product I bought in my life (I'm 51 years old, I own tons of electronics and I'm an AV enthusiast from when I was 17).

I'm a Senior I.T. Tech, and I can garantee you that the HDTVs of these days are more like a computer than a normal television. In fact, when a model is not working very good, it is always because of a software (firmware) bug, or because a not so good video processor and/or video-processing, or because a bad display calibration.

Why I bought an LG? Because it looks to me it was the 720p plasma display with less "problems", best video-processing (that time) with SD sources, and absolutely the best one when speaking about calibration features available. The last thing is really important if you want to get the best from a digital display. Blacks performances are not the number 1 on my list. Green ghosting, Color banding, bad deinterlacing, "soft" upscaling, motion blur or "soap opera" and all such kind of defects can be seen, and are disturbing, much more than an bit higher MML black level (fixed), because they are random. An higher MML can't be considered a defect, and it is easy for our brain/eyes get used to it. It is not disturbing like random real defects on picture. I hope you have understood what I mean ('sorry for my poor english)


Reviews

On the flatpanelsHD.com web site, you will find a detailed review of the panasonic 42X20 plasma display. It is the E.U. version of the 2010 720p model (I guess it is called X2 in the U.S.). The review was made about 1 month and a half ago. Read it all and you'll discover whether it is better than its X10 (X1) ancestor, or not.

Last but not least, speaking about my own experience on my (old) LG, I can tell you that it is worth to have it professional calibrated. Or, at least, calibrated by yourself with a decent meter (X-rite i1 display 2 + Calman software home edition from spectracal, for example, is a great bundle at a good price). Even these cheap LG 720p display have the ISFccc presets (day and night) with a complete CMS, so it is not a problem to do it, expecially for a professional calibrator. Think that the calibration options are more complete than the panasonic G20/G2 (the full-hd model, yeah), and that the tool on the screen (during calibration) is even better than the one of the VT25 new 3D (!). You don't trust me? Right, so please read about that on this review: http://www.avforums.com/review/Panas...ma-Review.html , and you will know the problems the reviewer has had during calibration with the TOP panasonic model (incredible but true) (VT20 is the equivalent of the VT25, in the E.U.).

Enjoy yours 720p LG plasma, they are very good displays and worth every single cent you have spent for them (IMO) .
post #146 of 325
John,
the Color Gamut set to Wide is not good. I know the effect you get with it, but the factory calibration on all the plasma display (not only LG) is done with the standard Color gamut.

Instead, if you can, buy a meter like the one I have written on my previous post, and use the CMS to arrange the colors. That's the right way to do it and get the best results
post #147 of 325
Hello!
First off all sorry for my bad english! I'm from Central-Europe from Hungary.
I know it's funny, but i'd like to ask how much the power consumption(42") is, because here is very expensive the "electrical-energy". So could anybody measure it please? According to the LG website it's 139W, but i think it's lower.
And finally what's the resolution of this TV(42)? because all hungarian website say 1366x768... but i think is not correct. The correct is 1024x768?

Thanks!
post #148 of 325
The resolution of the 42" is 1024x768.

The energy consumption depends of the display calibration. High contrast = more energy consumption. All LGs have a good power saving option, and you can set it at different levels. For more info, download the user manual. If the download link is not available from your local LG web site (from the page-product), go to the Austrian LG web site, select the model you are interesting in, and you will find the link to the support page. Manuals are available in many languages.

Unfortunately I don't remember to have read a review of the PJ were they have measured the power consumption, but if you will get the display properly calibrated, it will be low (average).
post #149 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

The resolution of the 42" is 1024x768.
The energy consumption depends of the display calibration...
...Unfortunately I don't remember to have read a review of the PJ were they have measured the power consumption, but if you will get the display properly calibrated, it will be low (average).

Thank You for the answer! I can't decide, which TV i should choose: Samsung PS42C450 or LG 42PJ350. I think both TV have good picture quality, both are very stylish and to top it all they have the same price. So i thought the consumption will be the decisive... C450 has an extremely good consumption but i've read Samsung has especially loud buzz.
I really don't know which the better... i can't decide!
post #150 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by csokolade View Post

Thank You for the answer! I can't decide, which TV i should choose: Samsung PS42C450 or LG 42PJ350. I think both TV have good picture quality, both are very stylish and to top it all they have the same price. So i thought the consumption will be the decisive... C450 has an extremely good consumption but i've read Samsung has especially loud buzz.
I really don't know which the better... i can't decide!

Good news for you: I have read a review of the samsung, but I'm not 100% sure it was about the C450. You will find it on the avforums.com reviews section

From what I remember, that samsung is a very interesting plasma (like the LGs), and it has a great video-processing with SD sources (also the LG is very good). But it has not the complete calibrations features present on all the LGs (no CMS on that samsung, and no other things - read the user manual), and that is an important thing to take in the considerations, because it is related to the picture quality. By my point of view, that thing is much more important than the energy consumption. In any case, I guess that the samsung and the LG PJ, when calibrated in the same way, both have more or less the same consumption.

Another important thing is that it looks like the black level (MML), unfortunately, this year is not so great on samsung(s). Read that review on avforums. On the LGs PJ, in a german forum it has been reported they have the same (more or less) good performances of the PK550, which is about 0.045 cm/mq (average).

Hope that help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread