or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 35

post #1021 of 1055
I have used Spotify Premium in the past and it is very similar to MOG so that is what I will do. I prefer MOG though as it has more 320 kbps content and I don't use it on mobile devices so my MOG cost is $5 and will rise to $10 with Spotify.
But I am still happy to have Spotify as an option as BEATS looks unusable to me for my purposes as it has to be accessed by mobile devices.
Edited by Tune_man - 1/29/14 at 8:51am
post #1022 of 1055
The thing I like about MOG is that I have a bunch of "Favorite Artists" all listed alphabetically. Spotify is much more difficult to keep my favorites organized.
post #1023 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

The thing I like about MOG is that I have a bunch of "Favorite Artists" all listed alphabetically. Spotify is much more difficult to keep my favorites organized.

I agree palmfish! I have to drag them into alphabetical order right away or I can't find them later sometimes. MOG will be missed.
post #1024 of 1055
Thread Starter 
I came across a mention that there will be a tool to export your MOG Favorites to Beats, but nothing to export it to a TXT file. I'm going to Google around some more, but wanted to drop it here in case anyone had something good to add.
post #1025 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

I came across a mention that there will be a tool to export your MOG Favorites to Beats, but nothing to export it to a TXT file. I'm going to Google around some more, but wanted to drop it here in case anyone had something good to add.

I hope that's true. Unfortunately, if it isn't available for the SBT, then I am probably not going to try it.

I'm finding Spotify not so user friendly. MOG will be sorely missed...
post #1026 of 1055
I have a question for Touch owners. yesterday I was listening to Pandora on the Touch through its optical out to my AV receiver. When all at once the music just stopped. it still showed the song was playing but no sound. I then changed the digital out to USB that goes to my little Topping amp and I get no sound from that either, though the Touch is showing time progression from a song playing. I then tried again this morning and still the same thing. Anyone have some info on this.
Thanks
post #1027 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

I have a question for Touch owners. yesterday I was listening to Pandora on the Touch through its optical out to my AV receiver. When all at once the music just stopped. it still showed the song was playing but no sound. I then changed the digital out to USB that goes to my little Topping amp and I get no sound from that either, though the Touch is showing time progression from a song playing. I then tried again this morning and still the same thing. Anyone have some info on this.
Thanks
Huh, never seen that one before on either of my 3 Touch units. If it happens again see if you cant plug the optical out or coax out from the Touch into another DAC/receiver/etc and see if that works.
post #1028 of 1055
Thanks for the response. Just called Logitech tech support, and he said to try the headphone jack on the back to see if any sound comes out. Nothing. he also said to try a full factory reset, though I am hesitant to do that just yet as I don't want to erase all the channels stored and also have to reboot the USB out hack. He mentioned it could be a soundcard fail.
post #1029 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

Thanks for the response. Just called Logitech tech support, and he said to try the headphone jack on the back to see if any sound comes out. Nothing. he also said to try a full factory reset, though I am hesitant to do that just yet as I don't want to erase all the channels stored and also have to reboot the USB out hack. He mentioned it could be a soundcard fail.
Wouldnt all of your settings be backed up to LMS or the squeezebox website?
post #1030 of 1055
Well, I just discovered the problem. I had the fixed volume at 100% set. Somehow while it was on, that turned off and the volume was now at its lowest setting. Set it back up to 100% and it is now working fine.That is a relief.
post #1031 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

Well, I just discovered the problem. I had the fixed volume at 100% set. Somehow while it was on, that turned off and the volume was now at its lowest setting. Set it back up to 100% and it is now working fine.That is a relief.
Glad it was a relatively easy fix!
post #1032 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Wouldnt all of your settings be backed up to LMS or the squeezebox website?

Not player settings for the Touch, but Favorites & Playlists will. Also true if using Touch's inbuilt server.
post #1033 of 1055
Please see Classified section for Squeezebox Touch for sale:

Hi - In case anyone's interested, I just posted an advert in the Classified section (details are there). We've retired and are still downsizing/simplifying. Please take a look if interested.
Thanks.
Tadcu
post #1034 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadcu View Post

Please see Classified section for Squeezebox Touch for sale:

Hi - In case anyone's interested, I just posted an advert in the Classified section (details are there). We've retired and are still downsizing/simplifying. Please take a look if interested.
Thanks.
Tadcu

GLWS. I posted my Squeezebox Radio for sale / trade as well.
post #1035 of 1055
Tadcu and GusGus's posts make me think about the day coming when my SBT dies. After I stop crying, what next? One thing I've thought about is this: on my tablet I have the Orange Squeeze app installed to control LMS, which is terrific. Also SqueezePlayer, which outputs audio from the tablet. So, why couldn't I be sure to keep a copy of LMS on a disc so that I can always reinstall it if necessary, and just plug the tablet into my AVR in place of the SBT? I assume one issue is that the DAC in the tablet is inferior to either the SBT or my AVR, but maybe there'a an app that would output PCM or something from the tablet--I haven't looked.

Besides this DAC issue, am I missing some obvious problem?

By the way, I have no relationship with either of the apps I mentioned, but I can't speak highly enough of Orange Squeeze. I love using it.
post #1036 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Tadcu and GusGus's posts make me think about the day coming when my SBT dies. After I stop crying, what next? One thing I've thought about is this: on my tablet I have the Orange Squeeze app installed to control LMS, which is terrific. Also SqueezePlayer, which outputs audio from the tablet. So, why couldn't I be sure to keep a copy of LMS on a disc so that I can always reinstall it if necessary, and just plug the tablet into my AVR in place of the SBT? I assume one issue is that the DAC in the tablet is inferior to either the SBT or my AVR, but maybe there'a an app that would output PCM or something from the tablet--I haven't looked.

Besides this DAC issue, am I missing some obvious problem?

By the way, I have no relationship with either of the apps I mentioned, but I can't speak highly enough of Orange Squeeze. I love using it.

I'm possibly going to make a HTPC with JRiver software to take care of everything for me. I'm even thinking of selling my Dune D1 media player.
post #1037 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Tadcu and GusGus's posts make me think about the day coming when my SBT dies. After I stop crying, what next? One thing I've thought about is this: on my tablet I have the Orange Squeeze app installed to control LMS, which is terrific. Also SqueezePlayer, which outputs audio from the tablet. So, why couldn't I be sure to keep a copy of LMS on a disc so that I can always reinstall it if necessary, and just plug the tablet into my AVR in place of the SBT? I assume one issue is that the DAC in the tablet is inferior to either the SBT or my AVR, but maybe there'a an app that would output PCM or something from the tablet--I haven't looked.

Besides this DAC issue, am I missing some obvious problem?

By the way, I have no relationship with either of the apps I mentioned, but I can't speak highly enough of Orange Squeeze. I love using it.

If you are worried about one day not being able to get Sqeezebox hardware... that may happen, but I think it's a decade away, if you don't mind buying used gear. And, of course, there is a lively community of people making Sqeezeboxes as DIY projects, from hardware costing under $100, and while it's hard to know whether that community is around 10 years from now, it seems vibrant enough right now.
post #1038 of 1055
old iphone or ipod + ipeng with player app enabled into a digital dock is a good SB substitute.
post #1039 of 1055
In response to the three posts above, thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at a lot of the DIY hardware options, and they all seem a little over my technical skills. I hadn't heard about JRiver, but after reading this review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/jriver-media-center-software-reviewed/

it looks like it could be a great option.
post #1040 of 1055
Try looking at a vortexbox and use ipeng on your iPhone or iPad to control it. The vortexbox can be setup to run on LMS.
post #1041 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

Try looking at a vortexbox and use ipeng on your iPhone or iPad to control it. The vortexbox can be setup to run on LMS.

+1. Describes my setup perfectly (but I use two Squeezebox Touches and two Duets with my system). Not only can the vortexbox run on LMS (Logitech Media Service), it was designed to do so. It is the perfect NAS for a Squeezebox based music media streaming system.

I, too, control my SBs using iPeng 7 on an iPhone and an iPad2. Perfect interface.
post #1042 of 1055
I thought the Vortexbox was basically a repository for and server of my digital music collection. (Maybe I'm wrong?) What I'm more woried about is what device I'm going to plug into my AVR instead of the SBT to feed the music into it. The AVR is in a completely different part of the house than the NAS wiht my FLAC files running LMS. So the SBT is a nice way to receive the files wirelessly, especially because of its screen for the visuals. Although Orange Squeeze on the tablet now makes the screen unnecessary.
post #1043 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

I thought the Vortexbox was basically a repository for and server of my digital music collection. (Maybe I'm wrong?) What I'm more woried about is what device I'm going to plug into my AVR instead of the SBT to feed the music into it. The AVR is in a completely different part of the house than the NAS wiht my FLAC files running LMS. So the SBT is a nice way to receive the files wirelessly, especially because of its screen for the visuals. Although Orange Squeeze on the tablet now makes the screen unnecessary.

You are right about the vortexbox. Indeed its primary function in most SBT setups (like mine) is as the NAS repository/server. However, it CAN be used as a player itself and has that functionality in it without having to modify it (turning on that functionality is a simple software setting). It outputs to an AVR or other interface via USB out, so you would need a cable/interface (maybe an outboard USB DAC or something similar) in order to use the vortexbox as a player (it would in effect act as a SBT with tons of onboard storage).
post #1044 of 1055
Just use an old i device as a player, run ipeng, enable player software and hook up through a digital dock to your system. Control it with another idevice or computer.
post #1045 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Just use an old i device as a player, run ipeng, enable player software and hook up through a digital dock to your system. Control it with another idevice or computer.

I thought iDevices were limited to the mp3 stream. If you want lossless flac, you have to use a real squeezebox, a rasberry pi, or other such device?
post #1046 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I thought iDevices were limited to the mp3 stream. If you want lossless flac, you have to use a real squeezebox, a rasberry pi, or other such device?

I was going to (half-seriously) joke, not all of us have iDevices, but then say the same thing: my FLAC files won't play using Apple, will they?
post #1047 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

You are right about the vortexbox. Indeed its primary function in most SBT setups (like mine) is as the NAS repository/server. However, it CAN be used as a player itself and has that functionality in it without having to modify it (turning on that functionality is a simple software setting). It outputs to an AVR or other interface via USB out, so you would need a cable/interface (maybe an outboard USB DAC or something similar) in order to use the vortexbox as a player (it would in effect act as a SBT with tons of onboard storage).

I'm not seeing the advantage over this approach vs. using JRiver and using an AVR that has networking capabilities. But maybe I'm not understanding JRiver. And maybe I should look for a JRiver thread instead of hijacking this one, although with Squeezebox as we knew it dead, maybe not.
post #1048 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

I'm not seeing the advantage over this approach vs. using JRiver and using an AVR that has networking capabilities. But maybe I'm not understanding JRiver. And maybe I should look for a JRiver thread instead of hijacking this one, although with Squeezebox as we knew it dead, maybe not.

JRiver and a networking AVR works great. In fact, since the Squeezebox server software supports DLNA devices now, you don't even need Jriver. I play flac on my networked AVR from the Logitech server all the time -- completely outside of my Squeezebox ecosystem.

And that's the rub, especially if you only have one main device (don't need syncing) and can live with the slightly less user friendly interfaces of DLNA players, you don't need to worry about Squeezeboxes.
post #1049 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I thought iDevices were limited to the mp3 stream. If you want lossless flac, you have to use a real squeezebox, a rasberry pi, or other such device?
Not true, ipeng allows an idevice to play anything the squeezebox will. The final resolution depends on the dock you use I think. There are also many apps that allow you to play native flac files, but you quickly run out of storage space, you can use an external drive for that.
You can also use the camera kit for an ipad to create a high-resolution audio system.
tons of info on the squeezebox forums. http://forums.slimdevices.com/
post #1050 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Not true, ipeng allows an idevice to play anything the squeezebox will. The final resolution depends on the dock you use I think. There are also many apps that allow you to play native flac files, but you quickly run out of storage space, you can use an external drive for that.
You can also use the camera kit for an ipad to create a high-resolution audio system.
tons of info on the squeezebox forums. http://forums.slimdevices.com/

That's cool.

I have got flac (locally stored on the ipad) to play fine, but I have never gotten streamed flac from the Logitech Media Server to stay "flac". The LMS always converts it to the MP3 stream before sending it to Ipeng and Squeezepad. This happens both with the analog output, headset output, and digital output via USB camera kit.

Clearly there are some settings I need to adjust. Do you know what they are?

I've searched for every mention of ipeng in the 3rd party player section of the Slimdevices forum since 2011 and I haven't found anyone who succeeded in playing anything other than the converted flac -> mp3 stream on their iDevice. But I would LOVE to know how. Then the only limitation would be on syncing, which is still dicey with the software players.
Edited by nathan_h - 2/13/14 at 8:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread