or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 25

post #721 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Glad it worked. I tried 771 for no real reason and had to go back to 761 because it is so much more stable. 771 would bomb out on scanning my library every time.

That's why I don't update automatically with SB. But in this case, I needed the functionality.

CD
post #722 of 1055
Oddly, it seems that whatever discount was in play lately on the Touch has now run out. It was widely available for $250, and even cheaper on amazon. Now it's back up to $300 everywhere I look...
post #723 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Oddly, it seems that whatever discount was in play lately on the Touch has now run out. It was widely available for $250, and even cheaper on amazon. Now it's back up to $300 everywhere I look...

I have no idea, but maybe it means it's reached its end of life cycle and retailers have been denied new inventory, so the existing inventory is about to start getting scarce.
post #724 of 1055
Before I go posting at the SBT forum...let's see if anyone has any thoughts on this here. Sometimes...when I'm running-in equipment...I like to choose a stream, and just have it play 24/7. But it rarely makes it a full day, much less on and on beyond that. In theory...shouldn't it play until I stop it? What stops the stream do you think; SBT, something on my network, or something from the source?

CD
post #725 of 1055
What are you trying to play? Radio?

I've seen similar behavior two years ago when we evaluated the Touch for a professional setup. I thought it must have been fixed by now, hm....

You are sure it's not your ISP cutting the line after 24h or something like that?
post #726 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

What are you trying to play? Radio?

I've seen similar behavior two years ago when we evaluated the Touch for a professional setup. I thought it must have been fixed by now, hm....

You are sure it's not your ISP cutting the line after 24h or something like that?

Yeah, like Linn Radio, or something of the like. I wouldn't think the ISP would be the culprit, but who knows. I put a stream on at bedtime, and rarely is it still on by morning...which is only like 8 hours later.

CD
post #727 of 1055
Yea, well, over here, usually ISPs shut down the line for a few minutes once a day (and change IP addresses and things). Actually, usually it's the router itself doing it to prevent the ISP from doing it, and usually it'S at night (you can configure the time in most routers)

I'm not sure how well the Touch recovers from that loss of connection.
post #728 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Yea, well, over here, usually ISPs shut down the line for a few minutes once a day (and change IP addresses and things). Actually, usually it's the router itself doing it to prevent the ISP from doing it, and usually it'S at night (you can configure the time in most routers)

I'm not sure how well the Touch recovers from that loss of connection.

You might be on to something there.

CD
post #729 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Yea, well, over here, usually ISPs shut down the line for a few minutes once a day (and change IP addresses and things). Actually, usually it's the router itself doing it to prevent the ISP from doing it, and usually it'S at night (you can configure the time in most routers)

I'm not sure how well the Touch recovers from that loss of connection.

Same here. It's really annoying. I doubt really necessary either.
post #730 of 1055
I currently have hundreds of music files on my PC, all in "WAV" format, controlled by "Media Monkey", listed to only when already working at my computer. Like all, I wish to play the music (all "WAV" files) on my computer through my main audio/video system. The a/v system is located in another room (central to which is a Marantz SR-6003 receiver and Oppo-83-SE CD/Blu-ray player). Know also: I have Verizon's FiOS service for TV and Internet, including a Verizon-supplied router/modem with lots of available inputs and outputs.

I am BRAND NEW to media server issues, and frequently become lost when reading these posts. As of now, it seems that the SB Touch is a really good way to go, especially since the price of entry is only $300.

Apparent problem: Even though the SB Touch's remote controller is reported to be pretty good, I'm old, wear bifocal glasses, and could never read the tiny screen on the SB Touch from my easy chair across the room. It would be great if the SB unit had a video output so that a video signal could be read on, and controlled from, one's large TV screen, but, alas, such seems not to be the case. I suppose most members of this user group are thirty or more years younger than I, and could see the cilia on a fruit fly's butt from a distance of 50 paces. But believe me, many of you will be old, too, someday. So, is the SB Touch the wrong product for me? Is the only alternative for my problem to ALSO purchase an $800 iPad and use the app, which I understand is available?

Although I would not yet know how to do so, what would members of this group think of my pruchasing a smaller laptop, moving my audio files and Media Monkey thereto, and controlling everything from a keyboard and monitor now only an arms-length away. I again state, however, that I yet have no idea how to get the signal from the laptop to the router and then to the receiver, but I suppose that's a problem for a separate thread.

Thank you,

Howard
post #731 of 1055
You don't need an $800 iPad. There are excellent Squeezebox controller apps for more inexpensive IOS and Android devices.

I understand, though. In my living room, I like the text on the old SB Classics -- readable from a distance -- more than the smaller, prettier color display on the Touch.
post #732 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

Is the only alternative for my problem to ALSO purchase an $800 iPad and use the app, which I understand is available?

There are apps available for Apple / Android smartphones. There are apps for Android tablets and the Android tablets are considerably cheaper. I think the kindle fire can also be used as a remote, but that needs to be confirmed since I don't own one.

Hope this helps.
post #733 of 1055
Even the iPad starts at $400, not $800. I own a 16GB iPad 2 and while it's not a match for the new iPad it's still more than sufficient and ranks #2 in the list of devices I would buy as a remote controller.

Even the new iPad starts at $500, it's the version I use and especially as a remote control it's more than sufficient. You only need more memory if you want to store video or lots of music and you only need 3G when you want to use it away from home.
post #734 of 1055
Micrcenter has the iPad2 16GB for $349 right now.

If you want to go the Android route, then check out topnotchtablets.com for some quality China tablets with great suport. I think Nathan is the guys name and he will help you find what you want, or point you in the right place to make you happy.
post #735 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

Apparent problem: Even though the SB Touch's remote controller is reported to be pretty good, I'm old, wear bifocal glasses, and could never read the tiny screen on the SB Touch from my easy chair across the room. It would be great if the SB unit had a video output so that a video signal could be read on, and controlled from, one's large TV screen, but, alas, such seems not to be the case. I suppose most members of this user group are thirty or more years younger than I, and could see the cilia on a fruit fly's butt from a distance of 50 paces.

Even though I'm "youngish" I agree completely. The Touch does automatically use a larger font when you use the remote control but I still can't see my Touch in my media cabinet from several feet away. I would love for them to come out with a Touch with a larger display or video output of some kind. I brought this up on their forum here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=93871

I actually recently went from using MediaMonkey to the Squeezebox system like you are contemplating. If you want to stay with MM and go the laptop route you might want to try the NextPVR plugin I created: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.ph...in.MusicMonkey. This allows you to control MediaMonkey in full screen with a remote control so you could potentially locate your laptop by your audio system and control it from a distance.
post #736 of 1055
There is also a WebOS app for the palm pre1 and 2 smartphone which could be cheap on ebay.

Also the HP touchpad that was on firesale has an app if you prefer the larger tablet can be used.

Cheaper than most android or apple equipment
post #737 of 1055
Does The Squeezebox Touch support/play AAC files downloaded from the iTunes store?
post #738 of 1055
Yes as long as they are the newer ones without DRM (copy protection).
post #739 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Yes as long as they are the newer ones without DRM (copy protection).

But the server has to transcodes it to mp3, right? Lossy to lossy. No native support?
post #740 of 1055
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

But the server has to transcodes it to mp3, right? Lossy to lossy. No native support?

I don't believe that is correct. It's my understanding that AAC is natively supported.
post #741 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

But the server has to transcodes it to mp3, right? Lossy to lossy. No native support?

Sqeezebox server can decode that natively. No transcoding. The real question is what sort of home network you are using the Squeezebox on.

Read the web page here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AAC#AAC_on_OSX
"SlimServer will play M4A files but it streams them in an uncompressed format - which is fine on a local wired network but will use too much bandwidth over wireless and the internet. To convert AAC files to MP3 on the fly so that they stream in a more usable compressed format, follow these steps:....."

Also, obviously the server can stream FLAC natively, so if you are on wireless, there is probably a setting to make the server transcode to FLAC rather than MP3.
post #742 of 1055
STOP!

We are talking about a Squeezebox Touch and for that one you do NOT need to transcode anything, it plays AAC natively.

The transcoding is important for older Squeezebox models (Receiver, SB3, Boom and Transporter) but Touch and Radio don't need it.
post #743 of 1055
Need opinions On a good DAC for my SBT ... What are you guys using?
post #744 of 1055
The SBT's built-in one?
post #745 of 1055
Yup.

I did a head-to-head blind comparison with the SBT built-in DAC, my Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and my Peachtree Audio ESS Sabre DAC (Nova).

I couldn't tell the difference between them.

I actually bought the DacMagic for use with my SBT, and I just sold it because I decided I have no use for it. The SBT is terrific - I love mine (both of them)!
post #746 of 1055
I have a SBT on order. It should be here this week! Should I install the Squeezebox server software on my computer BEFORE I plug in and turn on the SBT, or the other way around?
post #747 of 1055
I'd install (and configure; music folder) the server software first
post #748 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post

I have a SBT on order. It should be here this week! Should I install the Squeezebox server software on my computer BEFORE I plug in and turn on the SBT, or the other way around?

Yes get LMS up and running so it's all set when the touch arrives. The Touch will be looking for the LMS during the install anyway. Make sure to rip a few CD's if you are going that route and add to your lib. Installing the LMS now will also give you a chance to learn the software.

Good luck, it is a great product.

Bob
post #749 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Yes get LMS up and running so it's all set when the touch arrives. The Touch will be looking for the LMS during the install anyway. Make sure to burn a few CD's if you are going that route and add to your lib. Installing the LMS now will also give you a chance to learn the software.

Good luck, it is a great product.

Bob

Thanks so much for the replies. Okay, I will download LMS from Logitech's website and get it set up. I've spend the last week or so burning my CD collection to my hard disk. Thanks again, guys.
post #750 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post

Thanks so much for the replies. Okay, I will download LMS from Logitech's website and get it set up. I've spend the last week or so burning my CD collection to my hard disk. Thanks again, guys.

Are you using Flac? -Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread