or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 34

post #991 of 1055
Been running 7.8 for months without any issues, it even makes a decent DNLA server. I see no reason to get rid of my five Squeeze devices anytime soon. I should add the only time I use mysqueezebox.com is when my server goes down and I didn't notice for some reason... it's a good server health indicator. biggrin.gif
post #992 of 1055
Yea Im still on 7.7 and running my own server. Never even have any dealings with mysqueezebox.com.
post #993 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Time to sell my Squeezbox Radio rolleyes.gif
If you end up selling it, PM me and let me know what youre asking for it. Im always interested in adding more.
post #994 of 1055
Hey Ben, correct me if Im wrong, but the only way to stream MOG, Pandora, etc. is with mysqueezebox.com, right?

I would love to abandon the Logitech software completely but I enjoy MOG a lot.

My problem with the Logitech software is that everytime I reboot my computer and restart the program, it doesnt "see" my music files and refuses to scan them. I have to uninstall the software and then reinstall it to make it work again.
post #995 of 1055
Yes, currently using MOG or Pandora you need MySB.com. You do not need MySB.com to stream basic stations or Spotify if using LMS 7.8. If your LMS cannot remember where your music library is after a reboot then something is wrong with your computer or setup. I use LMS on several PC's, some go for weeks and have dozens of reboots between even using LMS and LMS always remembers where my music library is.

What computer and OS are you using? Tried just rebooting LMS itself? Library on a network or USB drive?
post #996 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Hey Ben, correct me if Im wrong, but the only way to stream MOG, Pandora, etc. is with mysqueezebox.com, right?

I would love to abandon the Logitech software completely but I enjoy MOG a lot.

My problem with the Logitech software is that everytime I reboot my computer and restart the program, it doesnt "see" my music files and refuses to scan them. I have to uninstall the software and then reinstall it to make it work again.
Yes thats true. I forgot about that as I dont really use my SqueezeBoxs for streaming too much. I have a pretty massive collection of FLAC files on my server that I use to feed all the SqueezeBoxs. Been running it for a year and a half now and its never given me a single problem. Definitely nothing like what youre describing. Its a mini PC I built using an Intel ATOM based motherboard with 4GB RAM and an SSD running Windows 7 64-bit and its on 24/7 as its a server to several other things throughout the house.
post #997 of 1055
Hey Palmfish, I just want to chime in and say that I, too, have never had a problem with LMS not finding my music library after a re-boot. Currently all the FLAC files are on a NAS, and I have it shut down several times during the week. Before I got that, was running LMS on a Vista desktop, no problems there, either. So it seems like your problem must have a solution.
post #998 of 1055
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm running Windows 7 and keep my files on the internal hard drive. It didn't always do this so I suspect maybe it's another program my son might have downloaded not playing well with the Logitech server software (he does a lot of video and audio editing and uses a number of different applications).

I rarely reboot the computer so it's not a huge problem.
post #999 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm running Windows 7 and keep my files on the internal hard drive. It didn't always do this so I suspect maybe it's another program my son might have downloaded not playing well with the Logitech server software (he does a lot of video and audio editing and uses a number of different applications).

I rarely reboot the computer so it's not a huge problem.
URGH, THAT is def your problem right there. Get a dedicated server built. Doesnt have to be big or expensive, you just need the right tool for the job.
post #1000 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

URGH, THAT is def your problem right there. Get a dedicated server built. Doesnt have to be big or expensive, you just need the right tool for the job.

Just what I need - another computer...lol!

One of these days.
post #1001 of 1055
Really, it doesn't need to be anything fancy at all. For the past 4+ years I've been using an old Dell netbook (a Mini 9) that I got for super cheap years ago. It's running Ubuntu server off the whopping 4GB SSD that it came with (and still has about 2GB to spare). I have a USB hard drive dangling off that with all my music (primarily FLAC rips of my CDs) and some video files, and run a small backup script every few weeks to back everything up to another machine. Just a few weeks ago I finally had to replace the USB hard drive that I'd been using since 2009. That ran me about 50 bucks and took about 3 hours to copy all the files back. Plugged it in and it's been humming along beautifully ever since. Honestly, it's the most trouble-free machine I've ever had.
post #1002 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Really, it doesn't need to be anything fancy at all. For the past 4+ years I've been using an old Dell netbook (a Mini 9) that I got for super cheap years ago. It's running Ubuntu server off the whopping 4GB SSD that it came with (and still has about 2GB to spare). I have a USB hard drive dangling off that with all my music (primarily FLAC rips of my CDs) and some video files, and run a small backup script every few weeks to back everything up to another machine. Just a few weeks ago I finally had to replace the USB hard drive that I'd been using since 2009. That ran me about 50 bucks and took about 3 hours to copy all the files back. Plugged it in and it's been humming along beautifully ever since. Honestly, it's the most trouble-free machine I've ever had.

Im not familiar with Ubuntu.

I assume that in order to run mysqueezebox, I need a PC running Windows, which means a PC with RAM and a hard drive, so thats at least a couple hundred dollars. Or I could use an old netbook laptop computer I have, but that raises another question...

If Im going to use a netbook, then why do I need the Squeezebox at all? I could plug my netbook directly into my DAC via USB and avoid wi-fi and the Touch altogether.

EDIT: I googled Ubuntu and see that it is an OS. So I can get a barebones PC running Ubunto and install the version of Logitech Media Server software that is compatible with Ubuntu? How does a computer running Ubuntu access the WWW? Will it recognize a NIC installed on the motherboard? Does it use Windows drivers?
Edited by palmfish - 10/22/13 at 5:35pm
post #1003 of 1055
Sorry, this is probably the wrong forum for discussing technical matters of operating systems. I'll research it and see what's what.

Thank you for the advice!
post #1004 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I assume that in order to run mysqueezebox, I need a PC running Windows...

No computer needed to use MySqueezeBox.com, your SB player can connect to it directly for online content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

If Im going to use a netbook, then why do I need the Squeezebox at all? I could plug my netbook directly into my DAC via USB and avoid wi-fi and the Touch altogether....

Some would agree and do just that. Just like some people like having a dedicated GPS unit in their car while others say "I have GPS on my phone, why would I need another/separate unit in my car?". Both options are viable and depend on different needs and use case scenarios.

Using a computer instead of a dedicated SB type player doesn't solve many of the reasons people went to SB type players in the first place.
- audio quality: computer sound cards are usually not very good and have limited output types/options
- one can overcome above audio quality issues with a dedicated DAC (just as you suggested), but most DAC's out there are no better than what is already included within the Touch player
- Wanting multiple players in multiple rooms means running multiple computers
- Sync'd audio to multiple rooms is almost impossible with computers as the player, at least in regards to accurate/tight Sync
- Limited interface and placement options
- Running a full computer for internet streams
- etc.....
post #1005 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

........ avoid wi-fi and the Touch altogether.....

Why is WiFi a problem? Are you getting rebuffering? Weak/Dropped signals?
post #1006 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Just what I need - another computer...lol!

One of these days.
Ha yea I know what you mean, I think I have about a dozen around the house and still have a couple more I need to build out. I had been looking at the Foxconn AT-7500 and AT-7700 for a future small, low power but still powerful enough rig. Check them out, they look pretty promising and arent too expensive. Heres the AT-7500 at Newegg: LINK
post #1007 of 1055
I bought an old dell small form factor for $50 bucks updated the hard drive , added memory and converted it to a vortex box. The investment was about $150 and works flawlessly.
post #1008 of 1055
Anyone trying to run high def Flac files with your Touch over wireless and not getting a constant stream without the odd hicup may want to try a Powerline network device. My house is wired with network cable but I never thought I'd be setting up a certain room for 2 channel listing. So instead of going up in the roof again and running more cable through walls I tried the Netgear Powerline Nano 500. Has worked perfect for my needs. I ran speed tests and in my case is pretty crappy for anything else requiring a lot more bandwidth, but I just use it for music so it wasnt a concern. Your mileage may vary. Just a thought....
post #1009 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

No computer needed to use MySqueezeBox.com, your SB player can connect to it directly for online content.
Some would agree and do just that. Just like some people like having a dedicated GPS unit in their car while others say "I have GPS on my phone, why would I need another/separate unit in my car?". Both options are viable and depend on different needs and use case scenarios.

Using a computer instead of a dedicated SB type player doesn't solve many of the reasons people went to SB type players in the first place.
- audio quality: computer sound cards are usually not very good and have limited output types/options
- one can overcome above audio quality issues with a dedicated DAC (just as you suggested), but most DAC's out there are no better than what is already included within the Touch player
- Wanting multiple players in multiple rooms means running multiple computers
- Sync'd audio to multiple rooms is almost impossible with computers as the player, at least in regards to accurate/tight Sync
- Limited interface and placement options
- Running a full computer for internet streams
- etc.....

All very good points (and the reason why I went with Touches in my home in the first place). biggrin.gif Also, you forgot to put iPeng on your list - the ability to use your iDevice as a GUI/remote control is priceless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Why is WiFi a problem? Are you getting rebuffering? Weak/Dropped signals?

No, I have a strong "N" network and an wireless extender in the basement for my 2nd Touch and XBox. The only time my Touches rebuffer is when someone is using the microwave oven...lol.
post #1010 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Ha yea I know what you mean, I think I have about a dozen around the house and still have a couple more I need to build out. I had been looking at the Foxconn AT-7500 and AT-7700 for a future small, low power but still powerful enough rig. Check them out, they look pretty promising and arent too expensive. Heres the AT-7500 at Newegg: LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

I bought an old dell small form factor for $50 bucks updated the hard drive , added memory and converted it to a vortex box. The investment was about $150 and works flawlessly.

I really would like to move in this direction and have a dedicated music server. I obviously need to research it further though. Thank you for the input!
post #1011 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

All very good points (and the reason why I went with Touches in my home in the first place). biggrin.gif Also, you forgot to put iPeng on your list - the ability to use your iDevice as a GUI/remote control is priceless!

No, I have a strong "N" network and an wireless extender in the basement for my 2nd Touch and XBox. The only time my Touches rebuffer is when someone is using the microwave oven...lol.

Well iPeng could be used with a "computer" player as well, controlling a software player on the "computer" player. That's why I didn't include iPeng as an exclusive SB hardware benefit.

Yeah, if you have excessing RF in your environment that would indeed cause WiFi issues. I use G only (no N devices) and I luckily have no such issues. I even held my SB Boom player right up to my operating microwave to test a users issues with their Boom dropping out due to their microwave. Their Boom's WiFi had issues 20 feet from their microwave, mine did not even hiccup literally touching my microwave. My only suggestion to them was to either get a better microwave or wear tin foil hats! smile.gif

N is of no value to SB players as none of them support N WiFi.
post #1012 of 1055
All of my squeezeboxs are connected via ethernet. I hate Wifi and only use it for phones/tablets and laptops.
post #1013 of 1055
For people with wifi range/interference issues, the power outlet adapters suggested above are a very good solution.
post #1014 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

For people with wifi range/interference issues, the power outlet adapters suggested above are a very good solution.

The Netgear model I suggested earlier is great solution if you only have one outlet nearby but have to run a powerbar or something else from there as well. In my research looking for one of these setups I found that other brands can have a larger box which sits too close to the other plug so it becomes unusable. You don't want to plug these things into the powerbar itself. I can post a picture for anyone that needs to see the spacing.
post #1015 of 1055
I have an Amped Wireless PLA2 homeplug AV500 and here's a little comparison on the throughput while connected directly to the power strip VS the wall outlet.



The first half is the power strip the second half is the wall outlet.
post #1016 of 1055
MOG is being bought out by Beats and looks as though it will not work on any Squeezebox devices. Price will increase as well. Think my only logical alternative will be Spotify to replace it. frown.gif
post #1017 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_man View Post

MOG is being bought out by Beats and looks as though it will not work on any Squeezebox devices. Price will increase as well. Think my only logical alternative will be Spotify to replace it. frown.gif

Is this a known fact that Mog will no longer work on the SB or is it just your assumption?
post #1018 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

Is this a known fact that Mog will no longer work on the SB or is it just your assumption?

MOG will no longer work because it will cease to exist. The lights go out April 15th.
post #1019 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamis View Post

Is this a known fact that Mog will no longer work on the SB or is it just your assumption?

"After April 15th, MOG will no longer be available in the US" is the exact quote from the email I received from BEATS. BEATS is not currently available for use with Squeezebox products. I emailed BEATS about their compatibility with my Squeezebox and they responded with a list of what would work which included SONOS 4.0 or higher amongst others but no Squeezebox mentioned. They did ask MOG users to make suggestions to them at feedback@beatsmusic.com which I did in the off chance it might help.
post #1020 of 1055
Spotify looks good, but the $10/mo premium subscription is required for use with the SBT. This does give you 320 kbps and access to streaming on portable devices though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread