Originally Posted by bandit7
I want to buy this TV 42'' LE 8500 Europe model Greece and i have some questions that didn t find clear answers reading all the forum.
1) After the last firmware updates the 8500 suports Dts audio format??
2) How good is the streaming of HD movies through Lan connection with the PC?? (movie stored in the Hard drive of the PC) Any problem with subtitles?
2) Any problems with external Hard drive in HD movies through USB connection with the TV?
I have the 47 inch US version, so I'm not absolutely certain that everything is equivalent. I cannot speak to all of your questions, but I can answer one of them.
1) I don't have an answer for DTS in the update (sigonomi, sorry)
2) I haven't used the LAN connection to stream to the TV yet, but I would assume it's going to be pretty good, since my updates and other internet features seem to work pretty well.
3) I use a hard drive connected to the USB port on an almost daily basis. I LOVE this feature. The picture seems to be upscaled very nicely and I have no real problems with the picture or sound quality (I only use the TV's speakers at this time, though will add 5.1 soon). A (roughly) 700 MB video file looks to me like watching a DVD or better. The USB is generally easy to use and makes for a pleasureable viewing experience.
That being said, there are a few things I am less than satisfied with when using the USB:
1: You cannot access the same menus when using the USB that you can when using the HDMI or regular TV. You get a few options to change the picture and sound, but not much more than that. I watch this TV a lot when going to bed and like to set it up to turn itself off in about an hour, and I cannot access this menu once I've opened the USB menu or started playing a file.
2: It's nice to be able to scan through a movie, fast forward, rewind, etc., but these are pretty sluggish and frustrating.
3: If you have lots of files in the same folder, it can be tricky to navigate. For example, if you have a TV series that you want to watch in order over several days, it be awkward to get to the episode you left off on last. It's kind of a minor complaint.
4: The navigation is, in general, kind of clumsy. You can tag a number of files to play in order, which is nice. However, it takes a number of steps to get this done. This is a minor problem.
5: I will be purchasing a "green" powerstrip for this TV in part to work with the USB. When the TV turns off, the USB currently stays on and makes "searching" noises and has lights on throughout the night. Seems like this would burn the harddrive up pretty fast. I've ordered a powerstrip that automatically turns off the USB, DVD, surround sound (when I install it) and anything else plugged into the strip when the TV is powered off. Don't know if the link will work, but I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG...sr=8-2-catcorr
If LG fixed access to the menus and the responsiveness when scanning through videos, I would be as near to completely satisfied as I think is possible from any TV.
Hope that helps!