This thread will be dedicated to the new version of Passport Echo specifically being launched by Cox as a change from the old SARA Software on SA / Cisco HD DVR's based on news reports, web reports and media announcements. This will potentially affect all users in Cox markets using SA equipment as a complete OS change. This version is similar to TWC's old version of Passport Echo used a few years ago, but is an entirely new build by Rovicorp and will probably be used by Cox and their customers soon. Users on affected systems will want to know and share information about the upgrade and changes to functionality on the equipment they use.
Quick introduction to the general Passport Guide. Information from Rovicorp is no indication that Cox will support or add specific functions written into the software that they do not advertise.
Here is the data from the webpage as of 03-18-10
Archive from 03-18-10
OVERVIEW: Passport Guide
Rovi's Passport® Guide provides an advanced interactive program guide (IPG) for DVR and non DVR-enabled, digital cable TV set-tops. This digital cable TV guide fully supports analog, digital, and HD broadcast signals as well as integration with third-party applications.
Passport® Guide enables digital cable TV operators to:
Facilitate digital cable TV program search and navigation
* View digital cable TV program information in a variety of formats - from listings to detailed information about specific shows
* Search for digital cable TV programs by typing titles into an on-screen keyboard using your remote
* See what's happening on a specific digital cable TV program, and view in-depth TV program information at the same time
* List digital cable TV programs by "themes" or categories such as football, cooking, or Pay-Per-View
Simplify digital cable TV program recording and management
* Easily modify recording options for scheduled TV shows, including start and end times and save options
* Fine tune digital cable TV series recording options, including how many TV show episodes to keep, first run or repeats, and recording priorities
Deliver value-added services and increase business opportunities
* Display multiple thumbnail video streams on a single channel for faster recording and navigation of TV programs
* Create a QuickMenu™ as a promotion tool to showcase cable TV services
* Integrate an impulse subscription tool, enabling viewers to purchase service packages instantly with their remotes
* Provide informative content such as local weather updates and detailed instruction for programming multi-function remote controls
Displays 90 minutes and 5 channels of programming and has custom sorting, filtering and language options.
Displays up to 7 days of data in nested categories that included recorded programs, ratings and options for custom sorting, displaying and hiding.
Banner area displays current programming along with program details, including time, title, channel information, and length of show; current position of show and how much has been recorded onto the DVR; as well as play, fast forward, rewind, and pause buttons.
Detailed information for programs is displayed with scaled down video display for easier channel browsing.
Configurable menu allows viewers to launch cable TV services with a few remote clicks. Menus can be configured with services such as on-demand, Pay-Per-View, messages, and third-party games—as well as logos and descriptions.
Use the innovative title and keyword search utilizing a virtual keyboard to search all available data in the set-top box.
Parental Controls restrict viewing of specific programs by TV rating, TV content advisory rating, MPAA rating, program title or channel based on consumer's viewing preferences. Parents can secure television viewing by a specific range of time.
Order PPV and/or on demand programming with impulse purchase.
DVR (Digital Video Recording)
Control live television with pause, rewind and fast-forward functionality, one-touch record a program, record an entire series, record from a keyword search. Replay an individual show, or group replay an entire series. Manage your DVR with individual or group deletion options.
Passport® Guide has a fully integrated On Demand client services feature that can be headend configured for a variety of On Demand services including SVOD. Typically genres or categories are menu scrollable on the horizontal plane menu and titles are vertically scrollable. The menu's intuitive nature easily walks a viewer through the On Demand purchase process.
Venue is a configurable and biaxial navigational interface with scrollable categories on the horizontal axis and scrollable listings on the vertical axis. Venue can be set as the default power-on channel to promote premium channels and to help guide subscribers to the most popular services. Venue can also be used to create an intuitive hierarchical interface seamlessly linking any navigational, informational or revenue generating services with multiple Venue virtual channels. Enrich the subscriber's interactive experience while driving revenue with Venue.
There is a 4 page 6Mb PDF about Passport and Rovi that can be found on the resources tab.
Direct link to PDF file