Originally Posted by romajc84
When I am looking at the Netflix menu screen it is in 1280x720. My tv is 1080p. Everything else on the PS3 is in 1080p, why does Netflix not show in 1080p for the menu? The PS3 can't upconvert it?
1. Netflix doesn't stream an any higher resolution than 720p.
2. I doubt very much that "everything" else on your PS3 runs in 1080p. The vast, vast, VAST majority of games run in 720p, and are not "upconverted."
3. The only things that the PS3 will "upconvert" are 480p DVDs.
4. Setting your PS3 to 1080p output means that this is the HIGHEST resolution that it will put out. It doesn't mean that it is the ONLY resolution it will put out. As mentioned above, unless it's a DVD, the resolution the media is encoded in is what you'll get.
5. Technically speaking, you actually are
watching a 1080p image at all times, even if your TV says 720p (or whatever). A television has a fixed number of pixels, and always scales the image to fit the available pixels.